• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Figure GAF |OT4| Witty Title Delayed

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
I'm curious on those who want the Pit/Pitoo Figma, I'm guessing you didn't bother preordering at first release or did you all come to collecting late?

Couldn't afford either. When I could they were already both $100+. I missed D-Arts Charizard too, so that's three HUGE holes in my Smash collection. :(

I hope they get reprinted again! Someone please PM me if they go up on AmiAmi.

Couldn't afford either. When I could they were already both $100+. I missed D-Arts Charizard too, so that's three HUGE holes in my Smash collection. :(

I hope they get reprinted again! Someone please PM me if they go up on AmiAmi.
Ah shame, and just periodically check here and I/someone from here would probably post on the Amiibo thread and let you guys know as well.

I would totally take a display case that would fit all of them but nope, I was talking about Flash.

Oh yeah, I was a bit surprised they decided to go beyond just the Trinity. But man, if they make the whole Justice League, a few of those are going to tank hard. Aquaman, and Cyborg especially.

Wanderer5

I'm curious on those who want the Pit/Pitoo Figma, I'm guessing you didn't bother preordering at first release or did you all come to collecting late?

Well I only really got into GSC/MF stuff starting last summer when I checked their booth and ended up getting Pittoo at another place in that hall at Anime AX. Guess I should be glad that I picked him up then when he was $45 heh. Probably won't bother with Pit at all then (not like I had much plans before anyway).

Speaking of Pittoo

DSCN0666_zps30e9ae01.jpg

Got around doing some poses, and might do a couple more later today with better brightness. He kind of a pain in the ass to mess around with lol.

I'm curious on those who want the Pit/Pitoo Figma, I'm guessing you didn't bother preordering at first release (IIRC there wasn't much fuss about it when it was revealed) or did you all come to collecting late?

Latter. My first figure related stuff was Tohka nendo, and that is an unplanned purchase. I can't even remember why I decided to buy her in the first place lol

omlet

If you put a shelf above your TV you gonna want to put it higher, as you have to get back there from time to time, and the figures on that shelf will gather more dust because of the TV, I've got a shelf above my TV and it's a pain to keep those figures dust free.

Hmm, well since I don't have shelving on the sides like with a big entertainment center like you have, I can easily get to the back of the TV from either side, even if a shelf was close to it on the top. Interesting note about the dust, though...I'll keep that in mind.

That PDF off of the site needs to be updated. The metal bracket that installs to the wall has holes all the way through about every inch. So hitting studs every 16" isn't a problem. There are no post coming out from the bracket anymore either. There's a lip that slides into the shelf that you screw into from underneath the shelf. Looking at the bracket from the side it looks like an L. I think it jets out about 3 inches or so if memory serves me. I think design wise, that's were it kinda falters. The lip doesn't extend as far as those posts likely did. So keeping the shelf squre to the wall is harder since the support doesn't reach the edge of the shelf.

I actually just through out the instruction manual I had for those. Would have scanned them for you otherwise.

I see. Thanks for the clarification.

Hey guys, how do you clean your figures? Or if I buy something off ebay that dusty dirty, whats a good method for cleaning it without wearing it out?

kewlmyc

I'm curious on those who want the Pit/Pitoo Figma, I'm guessing you didn't bother preordering at first release (IIRC there wasn't much fuss about it when it was revealed) or did you all come to collecting late?

Didn't get into collecting at that point and I only played KI:U about 4 months ago, in which I became fans of the characters.

omlet

Hey guys, how do you clean your figures? Or if I buy something off ebay that dusty dirty, whats a good method for cleaning it without wearing it out?

Most of mine are behind glass, I hardly ever clean them. Once every couple years on average, probably. For stuff outside of glass, I give it a quick blow/wipe every couple month or so.

For dusting, you can use just about anything. Lung power (just blow the dust off) or compressed air (make sure to not spray propellant on the figure...) are good for a quick clean, but for stuff that is stuck on a little more by moisture/static, use qutips, microfiber cloth, a dusting brush, your t-shirt, whatever. Water is fine, too, just wipe them dry to prevent chemicals/minerals in the water from air-drying onto the surface.

For really stubborn stains, smudges, and even minor paint transfer problems, Magic Eraser is great, just be gentle so you don't scour off the paint.

Giolon

Typically blowing the surface dust off, followed by using a model duster.

If your model is sticky due to outgassing, I use some liquid dish soap in warm (not hot!) water along w/ my hands to clean it off.

If you need to remove color transfer or paint stains, the least abrasive is dish soap in warm water, followed by plastic erasers (don't rub too hard, and try to use as small a corner as possible) followed by magic eraser - which will likely remove what seems to be a sealer on most figures, leaving rubbed the area looking a little dull compared to surrounding areas. Using as little pressure and being as accurate as possible helps.

Okay, guys, looking for some ideas.

With more scales and nendos on the way, within a couple months my DETOLF are gonna be overflowing again if I keep the nendos in there, so I am thinking about taking them out and letting them have their own space. Problem is, I'm not sure what that's gonna be.

1) Getting another single DETOLF is an option, but not a desirable one because I can't comfortably fit another one on these raiser shelves I built. I could fit one more on the far right side where the PlayStations are but then it would narrow the viewing angle of the TV and you wouldn't be able to see the bottom shelf while sitting at the desk.

2a) Build a 3' raiser (so half the size of the two I have now) to hold two more DETOLF and put it where my figures used to be and set it up similar to my current setup.

2b) Get some other kind of non-glass shelf (billy, etc. since IMO nendos don't benefit as much from the extra viewing angles as scales do) and put it in the same place. Downside to either option here is that the setup would be behind me when I'm in the room using the TV or PC.

3a) Another idea I had was to either build or buy some kind of thin shelf and run it along the wall above my TV and/or desk. Downside here would be they'd collect dust, but on the plus side, it would line up almost perfectly with the DETOLF in the corner and the top of the TV. Something like this:

3b) Going off the above, rather than just a lightweight open-air shelf, I could try to design something a little heavier to maybe use plexi/glass to keep dust out, but that may be a lot more trouble than it's worth.

Thoughts on these ideas, or any other suggestions?

WWFGD?

GMhleVa.jpg

You can adjust the shelves and fit the nendos and, although not shown in the pic, is wall mounted. This particular display is from Ikea. Inquire if you're interested.

Acid08

Banned
Onodera nendo went up on NY for 6.2k....ugh I really want it but that plus shipping is a lot. Idk if this is common for nendos but these Nisekoi ones sure are gone quick and inflate immediately for resale.

Femto.

A detolf should work, you got 13" from back to front, but they are better for scales or hot toys, but that's would be a means to an end rather then a good shelf. You wouldn't get any use other then a place for Guts and Femto, and then one of them would have to be on the bottom... Unless you raise a detolf (like omlet did) the bottom shelf is all but useless for viewing.

I went for the REGISSÖR, costs more, but it's nearly as deep as a BESTA, comes with feet, and with glass doors. Was easy to put together, with a max weight of around 30 pounds per shelf, all the Shelves are adjustable except for the wooden middle shelf..

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/40260835/

I plan on having Queen of the Dead, Keir, Guts, and Femto in it, but since 3 of those are a way off, I've done this with it for now:

So the bottom half of the unit you don't use for Guts an Femto could be used for whatever...
More than I was willing to spend, but I'll probably have to settle for that. I was originally going to buy two Detolfs (since the billy wouldn't do) and have them displayed on the bottom shelves. So I do like that I'll be able to have them in the middle with that shelf. Bookmarked and thanks for the suggestion.

Hey could you link that furniture that you use to raise your detolfs? Trying to figure out how I'm going to set up these wallet devouring statues.

omlet

Ahhh, that's awesome. Too bad my craftsmanship skills are poor.

Easy to build. No fancy carpentry involved... just cutting straight cuts and putting it together. It's time consuming but not hard. Getting access to the tools you need may be a show-stopper, though. I borrowed my dad's stuff :p

Yaari

Shimakaze Nendo already reached my country. That's ridiculously fast. Must have caught an early flight. First shipgirl!

Anyone collect the Art FX+ New 52 and Avengers Now lines? I'm curious to see if they look nice combined, but I can find a picture online.

You should be able to mix and match just fine without anything looking out of place. Keeping everything the same scale helps with that. But it might be better to divide the shelf half & half instead of intermingling them.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
On a semi-relevant note: do you guys meetup on expos/cons at all? It's con season after next month and I'll be all over the place, wouldn't mind a meet-up or something.. :D
Well I did a meetup at Eurogamer (which likely will never happen again since it's going to move up north now) but that was with people I've already met up with before so I guess that doesn't quite count. I don't expect the other shows I've been to like the one about baking or the other one about craft to really be GAF meetup material.

Also LondonGAF meetups have become a bit cliquey which probably puts newcomers off.

Koriandrr

Well I did a meetup at Eurogamer (which likely will never happen again since it's going to move up north now) but that was with people I've already met up with before so I guess that doesn't quite count. I don't expect the other shows I've been to like the one about baking or the other one about craft to really be GAF meetup material.

Also LondonGAF meetups have become a bit cliquey which probably puts newcomers off.

oh! I met a few gaf people briefly at EGX last year. Was working at the time and so overwhelmed, I couldn't make it to the pub.

MCM seems more suitable though, no?

Baka Zeitgeist

pluck my tasty grapes
More than I was willing to spend, but I'll probably have to settle for that. I was originally going to buy two Detolfs (since the billy wouldn't do) and have them displayed on the bottom shelves. So I do like that I'll be able to have them in the middle with that shelf. Bookmarked and thanks for the suggestion.

Not a problem, here's a link to a section of Sideshow Freaks that is dedicated to displaying collectables, browse at your leisure and you might find an idea or three to suit what your looking for.

Ahhh, that's awesome. Too bad my craftsmanship skills are poor.

I found this image while I was looking at the link above:
That's three detolfs sitting on two of the smaller half besta units, it seems to have a bit of an overhang though, but you might not need to do more then build IKEA furniture.

Yeah those are the Marvel ones. The Justice League ones look nice together too, but I wanna see Marvel/DC mixed up. Like Green Arrow and Hawkeye.

Freezasaurus said:
You should be able to mix and match just fine without anything looking out of place. Keeping everything the same scale helps with that. But it might be better to divide the shelf half & half instead of intermingling them

IDK that I'll have the disposable income to ever do it, but they do look nice and are reasonably priced.

HItman84

Neo Member
So I just ordered an Alter P3 Mitsuru from SolarisJapan. brand new.
Did some quick looking around the web and have found nothing but good reviews for them.
Really excited to be getting this, Mitsuru is easily one of my favorite characters in anime/games ever.

omlet

Not a problem, here's a link to a section of Sideshow Freaks that is dedicated to displaying collectables, browse at your leisure and you might find an idea or three to suit what your looking for.

I found this image while I was looking at the link above:

That's three detolfs sitting on two of the smaller half besta units, it seems to have a bit of an overhang though, but you might not need to do more then build IKEA furniture.

Yeah, good example, and the thread about raising DETOLFs in particular is a good read and I've linked it here in the past http://www.sideshowcollectors.com/f...ur-collectibles/89337-tried-raise-detolf.html

IKEA does make some things that are sturdy enough to hold a loaded DETOLF, so it's not like you have to build your own if you don't have the tools/motivation to do so.

kewlmyc

Yeah, good example, and the thread about raising DETOLFs in particular is a good read and I've linked it here in the past http://www.sideshowcollectors.com/f...ur-collectibles/89337-tried-raise-detolf.html

IKEA does make some things that are sturdy enough to hold a loaded DETOLF, so it's not like you have to build your own if you don't have the tools/motivation to do so.

Hmm, I might try these out, but I would have no where to put the detolfs considering where they are now has a dipped ceiling.

Acid08

Banned
So I just ordered an Alter P3 Mitsuru from SolarisJapan. brand new.
Did some quick looking around the web and have found nothing but good reviews for them.
Really excited to be getting this, Mitsuru is easily one of my favorite characters in anime/games ever.
They're legit and have tons of hard to find items in stock. Their only real problem is their pricing, it's pretty high.

Ryuuroden

I don't even want to know how much money worth of LEGOs is in that room...

Okay, morbidly curious~

The LoTR project is in my Living Room and it is for the most part finished tower-wise. Havent started on the exterior landscape and custom table to display it on for conventions.

As for the amount of money in that that room and in the house, probably equal to the amount Chrono has spent on figures.

Ultimadrago

The LoTR project is in my Living Room and it is for the most part finished tower-wise. Havent started on the exterior landscape and custom table to display it on for conventions.

As for the amount of money in that that room and in the house, probably equal to the amount Chrono has spent on figures.

Lord Almighty.

Ryuuroden

LEGO B-wing? Where have I been.

That B-Wing is epic. It only lasted like 6 months too before it vanished OOP. It totally bombed retail wise and was sold on May 4th for 50% off so 99 dollars which is an epic price. It is one of my favorite UCS sets, It is just unbelievably beautiful and sleek.

prod_product_main_retina_1224x688_10227.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom