• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Figure GAF |OT4| Witty Title Delayed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zerojul

My first used figure from amiami arrived and I expected the worst possible box you can imagine if they rate it A/C... Long story short: I would sell that more or less as new lol Only the display windows is a little loose. For 1500yen I can't complain.

Japan's criteria for used stuff is vastly different from ours. I bought a shitton of used games over there and even some of the older ones (Famicom, Sega MkIII) were insanely well kept. The more recent stuff could pass as new for me (were it not for the plastic wrap). Same goes for the figures.
From what I see, most of the time amiami's "B boxes" or Mandarake's "箱小イタミ" pretty much equal "good as new" :)

Theonik

Honestly I wouldn't lose my sleep over the 500 yen fee. Only time it really annoyed me was when buying 500 yen doujins lol

Ryuuroden

French customs are no joke, either. I think it's safe to say European customs suck hard, in general :/

I just go with SAL for little parcels with just one fig/game for which I'm in no hurry. Monthly Amiami orders will be EMS only, as customs would check big SAL parcels just the same and there's not much of a price difference anyway. I used registered SAL once in my life, never again.

Well on the flipside, you Europeans have way better social programs, lower trade deficits (or non at all due to all the customs and import charges), and all that mandated paid vacation. When I was just a minor peon under the big man I would of probably been willing to make that trade. Now that I own my own business and have employees of my own, all that stuff would just make it not worth it. This is coming from someone who is union, pays union rates and actually offers better benifits then the union requires. Moment of honesty, it's funny how when your the low man on the totem pole you admire the European system but once you run your own business it's like whoa that looks like a mess to deal with.

Baka Zeitgeist

pluck my tasty grapes
Well on the flipside, you Europeans have way better social programs, lower trade deficits (or non at all due to all the customs and import charges), and all that mandated paid vacation. When I was just a minor peon under the big man I would of probably been willing to make that trade. Now that I own my own business and have employees of my own, all that stuff would just make it not worth it. This is coming from someone who is union, pays union rates and actually offers better benifits then the union requires. Moment of honesty, it's funny how when your the low man on the totem pole you admire the European system but once you run your own business it's like whoa that looks like a mess to deal with.

First thing I told my wife was that if my art career ever took off I'd be leaving this country before it bled me dry, fine to be a starving artist here, not so fine if you make loads of money, but that was 13 years ago. Of course now that she runs her own business here it'll be harder to leave.

Koriandrr

Japan's criteria for used stuff is vastly different from ours. I bought a shitton of used games over there and even some of the older ones (Famicom, Sega MkIII) were insanely well kept. The more recent stuff could pass as new for me (were it not for the plastic wrap). Same goes for the figures.
From what I see, most of the time amiami's "B boxes" or Mandarake's "箱小イタミ" pretty much equal "good as new" :)

I don't even think you can give unboxed stuff at Mandrake. If you do, you get almost no money for it and it sells for peanuts.

Their standard for 'used' is pretty much 'like new, but on a reduced price'

Koriandrr

First thing I told my wife was that if my art career ever took off I'd be leaving this country before it bled me dry, fine to be a starving artist here, not so fine if you make loads of money, but that was 13 years ago. Of course now that she runs her own business here it'll be harder to leave.

European laws are a bitch in that aspect.
I know people in the UK who run their own business and barely have any savings.
It also seems to be common to start a family or invest in things when you don't have any savings, depending purely on your monthly salary, which is a sad way to live, but it is how it is.

cajunator

Banned
AmiAmi won't ship EMS to me :(. Not only must I use registered SAL, but it has to pass through military post. That means after the normal registered SAL delivery time to the military post hub in Illinois, it's then sent, by boat, to my island adding an extra 4 - 6 weeks.

On a related note,

hehe.. heh..

BASED EMS
uecoWsY.png

Question. If I order a pre-owned item from AmiAmi, and they get another pre-owned of that figure in better condition before I pay, can I order the new one and have them cancel the other?

omlet

Wasn't feeling too great so I went to bed early. Looks like amiami did a big udpated...did I miss anything good?

Also woke up to email confirming Wo's delay so she's moved out of my Feb order now. No other delays noted that I noticed.

Hahaha, yeah this is me right now :(

kewlmyc

Haha, what the hell AmiAmi? One 1/8th figure and charging 3200 yen for EMS for it? Haha, what? Guess I'm picking SA...

So I decided to do Registered SAL for a shipment of keychains (or something) from AmiAmi.
It was shipped on January 23, and its status hasn't been updated since January 27.

Is this normal, or should I freak out?
Never not going EMS again.

Going by the last update, it hasn't even left Japan.

I don't bother with registered SAL usually. Local post has non-existent tracking so it disappears when it enters the country. Plus registered needs to be picked up from the postal office in person.

Pretty much. I've experimented with all the different shipping options and EMS is the best both for speed and for peace of mind. There is one exception, Nippon-Yasan's Translogic shipping : faster than EMS and guaranteed no extra customs fees (you pay the VAT at the check-out).

I just don't have the patience for SAL.

I know that feeling :(

capturej7kdb.png

AmiAmi won't ship EMS to me :(. Not only must I use registered SAL, but it has to pass through military post. That means after the normal registered SAL delivery time to the military post hub in Illinois, it's then sent, by boat, to my island adding an extra 4 - 6 weeks.

On a related note,

hehe.. heh..

Ummm.... I think I'll just eat the cost and stick with EMS.

Question. If I order a pre-owned item from AmiAmi, and they get another pre-owned of that figure in better condition before I pay, can I order the new one and have them cancel the other?

Unless you believe time is an important factor, I'd just send them an email and ask their policy on it.

cajunator

Banned
Haha, what the hell AmiAmi? One 1/8th figure and charging 3200 yen for EMS for it? Haha, what? Guess I'm picking SA...

5 days with EMS. Tokyo to Lafayette, Louisiana including Customs. FIVE. DAYS.

i have Triumphant Excalibur and Sol Badguy on their way via registered SAL. I don't really mind the wait too much and I don't really get postal issues. I still need to sign for everything, which is something I rarely can do.

Theonik

Honestly it takes 2-3 weeks for SAL usually. I can manage. If you can pre-order stuff for almost a year a couple of weeks for 2k yen savings is worth it.
The registered thing is more of a local post nuance. It's not the same with each country.
Local post translate international services to national services and local post has only normal mail and confidential mail. The later is registered former unregistered.
The later requires identification to ensure the recipient is only allowed to access it.
EMS is usually handled by the national post's courier service if such exists.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
SAL Registered with my recent Tenso delivery took about two weeks but I'm a patient person. My Snake unregistered order took longer but it was caught by customs. Also I know Royal Mail deals with SAL which means if I miss the parcel or have to pay for it it is only a brief walk to collect it. I've heard EMS can be dealt with other couriers which could mean a long and awkward journey to their warehouse.

Baka Zeitgeist

pluck my tasty grapes
Worth a shot, just shoot them an email and tell them you want to upgrade, worse they will do is say no...

---------------

Untanned towel girl is up in the amiami pre-owned section for 10.3k...

I'm still holding out for the tanned one...

Einbroch

Banned
I'm moving tomorrow. The last of my figures to leave this house (like 5 nendos still unpacked) are going to be packed tonight and that'll be it. Still scared of moving for some stupid reason. I guess it's where I've lived here since I was born.

Hope everything goes well, fellow-moving-friend!

I move Friday.

Ordered Ilya catgirl and I saw that the Xiaomei I wanted is back in stock so grabbed that too!

Oh my god, that new avatar.....so cute.

I'm moving tomorrow. The last of my figures to leave this house (like 5 nendos still unpacked) are going to be packed tonight and that'll be it. Still scared of moving for some stupid reason. I guess it's where I've lived here since I was born.

Good luck with the move buddy :)

Einbroch

Banned
where are you guys moving to?

Just across town. My fiance and I live separately right now and want to live together. We've been together five years, ffs. I have a dinky studio apartment and she has a one bedroom apartment, so neither of ours would work.

Have our pre-final inspection today. There are a lot of little things that need to be touched up, but we're very happy with how the house turned out. My office is gonna be perfect for Nendos, which of course is all I care about.

Baka Zeitgeist

pluck my tasty grapes
NOOOO

Why did I look, battle damaged Kongo in the amiami preowned section for 8.7k, only reason I didn't grab it yesterday was it was 11.9k new and I didn't want to spend that much...

I need to play a game to distract me and hope it's gone later, before I do something stupid...

Again...

-----------

Good luck to all the people moving, can be nerve racking even when you've done it 20 odd times...

*turns off computer*

The shit I have to do to not buy shit

Just across town. My fiance and I live separately right now and want to live together. We've been together five years, ffs. I have a dinky studio apartment and she has a one bedroom apartment, so neither of ours would work.

Have our pre-final inspection today. There are a lot of little things that need to be touched up, but we're very happy with how the house turned out. My office is gonna be perfect for Nendos, which of course is all I care about.

Good luck to you as well bud! :)

Einbroch

Banned
A 2012 model... what's the recommended cut off point for Nendos since the early models were kind of rubbish.

Look at the face, it's the biggest indicator. Early 2011 seems to be the cut-off for ugly face/loose part Nendos. The K-On Nendos, for example, are 2010, and have cute faces but are hard to stand up.

2012 should be completely fine.

Edit: dammit double post

kierwynn

Yamato Kai popped back up finally! Been stalking her- glad to have her preordered! April is getting pretty busy for us, but luckily it's my birthday month so I can probably convince some of my family to help a little.

omlet

I must not give in to the "I had a delay let me fill the gap" mentality again.
Teach me to be strong. So much for my "6 scales and 1 nendo in February."

After Devil Homura delay and Wo delay, this month is a record-breaker for me, in all the wrong ways...
22 items (mostly nendo) and only 4 were preorders

A 2012 model... what's the recommended cut off point for Nendos since the early models were kind of rubbish.

Number 300 was when they revised their packaging style. However, they revised their stand design and improved some QC things even before that. Some in the 100s and 200s have the current style of stand (adjustable arm that fits in the back) vs the older style of little things that fit around one or two legs.

As for the look of them, even my #95 nendo can exchange faces with brand new ones. The quality of the paint job and sculpts on older nendos is still pretty good, too (not quite as good as more recent ones, but still Good Smile good). And some of the older models also have really neat extras (faces/accessories). Honestly it's hard to tell on some of them unless you're holding them side-by-side with a brand new one.

The number or release date really isn't a great indicator on its own for anything before #300...you should look at pics on MFC. I've posted about this before in the previous OT that it's not like there's a clean cut-off point.

ah i love her, she is adorable and a lot of people around the office and my friends love her too! had to jump on her after i found her for a good price on MFC (cheaper than ebay, heh!). i do hope riot will let GSC come out with more League nendos, cause they did a really good job with her

I would love a Lux or Lulu nendo but riot is producing their own crappy overpriced SD figure.

I know. I'm doing my darnest to avoid looking at them. Shit's dangerous.
They even come with expansion packs for their kits lol

Let's see those orders people. With February ending next week it's already that time again lol.

TJ6y6jf.jpg

Still expecting Sinon Figma to get a delay.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Here's a picture of my February order:

image_of_crushed_hopes_and_dreams.jpg

They call them Good Smile because they take pleasure from my pain. ;___;

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom