• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy: Record Keeper |OT| The only ATB here is Active Time Battle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saerk

I think they're supposed to be used in conjunction with other equipment...like the Flame Mail protects "moderate" against ice. Combine a ring of similar nature and you have even better protection against whatever element. As for status...yeah, that's kind of dumb since there's no armor(that I've seen) that has some built in effect to status.

Genji Armor I'm pretty sure resists confuse.

Macnair

Oh my god! I think I got all types of rods and staves from Mythril pulls. All elements and all series. I need swords and daggers game!

Falk

that puzzling face
We also don't really have data on how much those things actually resist, with or without record synergy.

Nohar

Oh my god! I think I got all types of rods and staves from Mythril pulls. All elements and all series. I need swords and daggers game!

Yeah, Record Keeper has way too much rods and staves. I really hope they will add quickly more interesting stuff to pull or drop.

Nohar

...How are you guys getting 3? ;_;

Random drop. The boss does seem to have a vast loot table (regular Orbs, Greater Fire Orbs, Greater Wind Orb).
They are however rather useless right now: the Combat ability which charges your Break meter is terribad, and the only other ability which needs Greater Fire Orbs is Leviathan. In the future we should be able to craft Firaja with them though.

I'm still not quite used to the English way of naming FF spells... And I wonder how they will call Firaja in French, since so far we always stopped at "Brasier X" or used the second naming convention. In French, we have 2 different naming conventions for FF spells: it's either "Brasier/Glacier/Foudre +" for Fira/Blizzara/Thundara and "Brasier/Glacier/Foudre X" for Firaga/Blizzaga/Thundaga, or we just use numbers, such as Feu², Glacier², etc. The french version of Record Keeper use the first naming convention, so I guess they will go with Brasier Z (that's what they used for Stopza in Kingdom Hearts). That or they could use greek letters, such as Ω.

Shahadan

I'm still not quite used to the English way of naming FF spells... And I wonder how they will call Firaja in French, since so far we always stopped at "Brasier X" or used the second naming convention. In French, we have 2 different naming conventions for FF spells: it's either "Brasier/Glacier/Foudre +" for Fira/Blizzara/Thundara and "Brasier/Glacier/Foudre X" for Firaga/Blizzaga/Thundaga, or we just use numbers, such as Feu², Glacier², etc. The french version of Record Keeper use the first naming convention, so I guess they will go with Brasier Z (that's what they used for Stopza in Kingdom Hearts). That or they could use greek letters, such as Ω.

They don't know what to do or don't give a fuck, they named Curaja "Soin Max", which is also the usual name of Curaga. So we now have two Soin Max ! I wish I could switch to english.

I think they translated Firaja by Combustion in FFXII but my memory is blurry

Yogg

I'm stopping that fire orbs s/l routine for now. Got 6 greater fire orbs and 1 greater wind orb today, but I'll now focus on getting as many greater orbs as I can from the event, and I'll go back to s/l'ing if there's time left in the event after that. Futureproffing the fire stuff is good but I still need abilities from other orbs first.

Are there any good sites for tracking what gear you have and telling you what is worth keeping?

I did another 50 pull last night and now I have a ton of FF6 gear, I think I have more armor for that game than I need and I'm trying to figure out what to keep.

Also I have like 3 bows for FF5 (Elven, Fire, Thunder) should I sell the two elemental ones?

Nohar

They don't know what to do or don't give a fuck, they named Curaja "Soin Max", which is also the usual name of Curaga. So we now have two Soin Max ! I wish I could switch to english.

I think they translated Firaja by Combustion in FFXII but my memory is blurry

... Oh God, you are right. We do have 2 Soin Max (1 for Curaga and 1 for Curaja)... @_@ This is ridiculous.

Shahadan

... Oh God, you are right. We do have 2 Soin Max (1 for Curaga and 1 for Curaja)... @_@ This is ridiculous.

It's been a total clusterfuck for years now, they almost change the naming conventions for each FF title ;(

They use Fire β in FFXIII LR apparently. They never did that before :lol:

I forgot how much of a grind Magicite is.

Going to get as many Greater Orbs as poss in the way of wind, earth and dark.

Need to hone Bladeblitz and Quake from this event at the very least and then pick up some other lower end orbs where I can too.

Nohar

Pretty much doing the same here. I already got Lenna, Mythrils, and the good pieces of equipment, so now I plan to hone Quake (which I finally unlocked) by buying Greater Orbs. Not quite sure I'm gonna do the same with Bladeblitz (we need a lot of tokens after all). Then once I'm done with that, I'll stock summoning orbs and thunder ones.

This event is also quite nice to hone Fire and Blizzard abilities, since Lesser/Regular Fire and Ice orbs seem to drop quite often (and I got quite a few Holy, Black and Earth orbs as well).

I just wished we had the same quality of life improvements of the japanese version. It makes no sense to me to not have those ASAP.

Yogg

With the summons being that expensive and long to obtain, do they give a significant advantage ? In my eyes, even if it's dealing 9999 to the whole screen, it's still a single use ability that takes a slot. Are there some notable summons that are worth the time getting it ?

Falk

that puzzling face
They use Fire β in FFXIII LR apparently. They never did that before :lol:

No? D: I platinumed the game in Japanese, and unless I'm woefully misremembering, it was Fire/Fira/Firaga etc.

edit: English screenshot shows Thundara
l9WAHiE.jpg

I just wished we had the same quality of life improvements of the japanese version. It makes no sense to me to not have those ASAP.

If I had to guess based on my experience with an online games portal translating Korean games to English/Malay, localization is prooobably done by a team that doesn't have deep access to the source code, on each build/update as it was on JP, and thus the amount of stuff you can safely change around or even copy/paste without breaking stuff is limited, and needs to be QA'd out the ass. We're talking about a live game which people can spend money on for in-game stuff - having the most mundane shit break would be a customer service nightmare.

(as the old adage goes, consumer has the prerogative to think about everything that can go right, developer has the responsibility to think about everything that can go wrong)

With the summons being that expensive and long to obtain, do they give a significant advantage ? In my eyes, even if it's dealing 9999 to the whole screen, it's still a single use ability that takes a slot. Are there some notable summons that are worth the time getting it ?

If you need burst, especially burst AOE, nothing compares to summons vs vulnerabilities. Earlier on, Thunder summons vs Magitek Armor, Ifrit vs Ipooh (FF6 Elites), Shiva vs Baigan (FF4 Elite) etc. Right now many of the harder bosses are more single target endurance marathons than AOE burst, but stuff does still crop up from time to time, like Shiva in FFV with her goons, Deathclaw in FFIII with his goons, etc. Sometimes one shot is all you need to soften things up and make it manageable.

Otherwise, Kirin is pretty useful and can be honed to 3 uses at this point if you've been playing from the start. (Although Lenna's Soul Break is a cool alternative that doesn't use up a slot)

Also, the more AOE abilities you have, the less tedious farming is, since it's usually 9 stages (e.g. Heroics) and being able to AOE a fraction of them is nice, but that's more a luxury than a necessity.

I think though that summons will really come to the forefront after Record Materia is introduced and Summoner Materia 2 (recharge summons by 1 every stage) becomes more or less standard for farming penultimate boss drops. (Nonstop Calcobrena for example rofl)

Nohar

To be honest, I'm getting them for the sake of completion (and for the occasional fight where they would be useful - hello Calca and Brina). Right now summons are not only very limited in usage, but hard to craft, limiting severily their usefulness. However, once materias are out, we can get a materia which will refresh summoning usage after each battle, making those abilities far more interesting.

For players who just began and who can't grind Greater Earth and Wind orbs, unlocking the Mist Dragon can be a reasonable alternative for a good ability hitting all monsters. Kirin is also interesting thanks to his Regen effect on your whole party and is a perfect fit for Aerith (a little less for Lenna, since her Soul Break does the same thing as Kirin, and they don't stack).

@Falk: Well, I guess I understand now. Thanks for the explanation!

Yogg

If you need burst, especially burst AOE, nothing compares to summons vs vulnerabilities. Earlier on, Thunder summons vs Magitek Armor, Ifrit vs Ipooh (FF6 Elites), Shiva vs Baigan (FF4 Elite) etc. Right now many of the harder bosses are more single target endurance marathons than AOE burst, but stuff does still crop up from time to time, like Shiva in FFV with her goons, Deathclaw in FFIII with his goons, etc. Sometimes one shot is all you need to soften things up and make it manageable.

Otherwise, Kirin is pretty useful and can be honed to 3 uses at this point if you've been playing from the start. (Although Lenna's Soul Break is a cool alternative that doesn't use up a slot)

Also, the more AOE abilities you have, the less tedious farming is, since it's usually 9 stages (e.g. Heroics) and being able to AOE a fraction of them is nice, but that's more a luxury than a necessity.

I think though that summons will really come to the forefront after Record Materia is introduced and Summoner Materia 2 (recharge summons by 1 every stage) becomes more or less standard for farming penultimate boss drops. (Nonstop Calcobrena for example rofl)

To be honest, I'm getting them for the sake of completion (and for the occasional fight where they would be useful - hello Calca and Brina). Right now summons are not only very limited in usage, but hard to craft, limiting severily their usefulness. However, once materias are out, we can get a materia which will refresh summoning usage after each battle, making those abilities far more interesting.

For players who just began and who can't grind Greater Earth and Wind orbs, unlocking the Mist Dragon can be a reasonable alternative for a good ability hitting all monsters. Kirin is also interesting thanks to his Regen effect on your whole party and is a perfect fit for Aerith (a little less for Lenna, since her Soul Break does the same thing as Kirin, and they don't stack).

The way I see it, getting an elemental summon using mats obtained after weeks/months of farming is just insanely unrewarding. It's a single -use ability that will only be useful in specific scenarios.

Now I got Kirin and Dragon because those were cheap, Dragon was fantastic on the flans with my low level at the time, and Kirin has an original effect, not just an elemental blast. Given the rarity of the higher summon mats, I'd hate to use them on an single-use elemental blast that would be at best situational (a single use in a slot is rather costly in a group for difficult fights). I hope there are summons with more important uses like group def., group att., or multi 9999 strike. I'm wondering all that because I'm debating going after the expensive summon orbs of this event.

Falk

that puzzling face
In terms of ability slot opportunity cost, I don't see them as any more situational than stuff like Blind or Intimidate or the plethora of other abilities that you'd only bring to counter a boss mechanic, that largely sits around unused during trash.

In the case of summons, the boss mechanic would be an AOE requirement that kills you fast if you don't kill them fast. Which, like I mentioned, has happened in the past with e.g. Ipoohs or Magitek Armor (that shit wasn't easy with the gear and abilities available back then)

What WOULD suck is if you spent your stash on X and then immediately after needed Y instead, and the boss absorbed X. Oops.

Shahadan

Why would anyone do this D:

Who the fuck knows. Before FF7 the games weren't translated here, and it was one of the worst localization I can remember (yes, not only in english). They apparently didn't want to keep the -ra and -ga suffixes and called the spells Feu 2 and Feu 3.

I mean, ok. Then came FF8 and they decided to call that Brasier+ and BrasierX for some reason. After that they kept it relatively coherent between FFIX and FFX

Then people thought we were gonna get the suffixes sorted out with FFXI but no. FFXII came and they didn't know what to do with later upgrades like Curaja since they had never seen it and went back to the numbered convention like in ff7. So we got Soin 4 instead for Curaja. And they chose to be pretty liberal with other stuff like Firaja who became Combustion for no reason.

They could have stopped there but this LR "β" shenanigans is another low :lol:
Then again in FFRK we now have two healing spells with the exact same name

I wonder what they'll do for XV

Nohar

Planning to craft Ifrit here, in order to kill FFV Shiva easily. Probably don't need it, but it would be veeeeery satisfying (unless I can just nova Shiva with Firaga... huuuum).

Nohar

So I think FFIV and FFIX have the best battle themes. V, II, and VIII are okay too.

On topic: Does anyone know if Lenna is any good?

She is a very good healer, that's for sure. Her Soul Break can be a godsend for some fights. However, she is very specialized, since she is restricted to 5* White Magic and 2* Black Magic (and can't use rods). So, yeah, use her as your dedicated healer or forget about her. Though, she can at least deal some damages from the back row, since she can use bows (even if they don't give as much Spirit/Mind as staves, her natural Spirit stat is high enough that she will still be able to heal decently).

She is a very good healer, that's for sure. Her Soul Break can be a godsend for some fights. However, she is very specialized, since she is restricted to 5* White Magic and 2* Black Magic (and can't use rods). So, yeah, use her as your dedicated healer or forget about her. Though, she can at least deal some damages from the back row, since she can use bows (even if they don't give as much Spirit/Mind as staves, her natural Spirit stat is high enough that she will still be able to heal decently).

Better healer than Aerith or Rinoa?

Ehh, I kinda sold all of my bows already. I'll consider her.

Nohar

Better healer than Aerith or Rinoa?

Ehh, I kinda sold all of my bows already. I'll consider her.

Definitly a better healer than Rinoa (who is better as a Black mage anyway). Aerith has access to way more skills though, making her more flexible. As far as their stats go, they are very much alike (Lenna has a slightly better Resistance and Mind, but that's it).
If you have a good bow to equip Lenna with, she is more useful than Aerith for farming some content. For Elite paintings, it depends if Aerith's Soul Break would be more useful than Lenna's (a full regen effect on everyone is veeeeery nice).

It would be awesome if he would! I really need to purge my inventory.

The reason I haven't updated the spreadsheet in a long time is because I've planning on integrating this functionality into FFRK Inspector in a way that wouldn't require you to input anything. The idea is that you just click the Party screen in-game, and it figures out your inventory, analyzes it on the fly, and shows you everything right there. I'm putting all my efforts into Inspector right now, so taking some time off to update the spreadsheet would only delay the work on Inspector

I'm currently alpha testing Inspector with a group of 20-25 people I got from here and reddit. The Inventory analyzer isn't in yet, because I've been spending a lot of time on drop rate analysis and getting the database schema worked out and solid. But hopefully I can start working on it soon

Prototype

Do we know which paths are most efficient for the Lena event? Should I just be grinding hard, or is normal (or normal+) a better return on magicite per stamina?

Yogg

Do we know which paths are most efficient for the Lena event? Should I just be grinding hard, or is normal (or normal+) a better return on magicite per stamina?

Hard is absolutely the best way. You get an average of 1500 magicite per run, tons of orbs on the way, and a chance at 4* orbs on the final boss.

edit: In terms of magicite per stam spent, hard is slightly on top, and the advantage just gets more obvious when you factor in the better drops during trash rounds.

Balphon

Who the fuck knows. Before FF7 the games weren't translated here, and it was one of the worst localization I can remember (yes, not only in english). They apparently didn't want to keep the -ra and -ga suffixes and called the spells Feu 2 and Feu 3.

I mean, ok. Then came FF8 and they decided to call that Brasier+ and BrasierX for some reason. After that they kept it relatively coherent between FFIX and FFX

Then people thought we were gonna get the suffixes sorted out with FFXI but no. FFXII came and they didn't know what to do with later upgrades like Curaja since they had never seen it and went back to the numbered convention like in ff7. So we got Soin 4 instead for Curaja. And they chose to be pretty liberal with other stuff like Firaja who became Combustion for no reason.

They could have stopped there but this LR "β" shenanigans is another low :lol:
Then again in FFRK we now have two healing spells with the exact same name

I wonder what they'll do for XV

The names were a little all over the place in the English versions too through the PS1 era. I don't think -ra -ga -ja became standard until after FF7 at least. When I was talking about the Healing Staff soul break earlier I had to think about what to call it, since it's been alternatively named Life2, Full-Life and Arise depending on the game.

Prototype

Hard is absolutely the best way. You get an average of 1500 magicite per run, tons of orbs on the way, and a chance at 4* orbs on the final boss.

edit: In terms of magicite per stam spent, hard is slightly on top, and the advantage just gets more obvious when you factor in the better drops during trash rounds.
OK, cool. I've been grinding hard, just wanted to make sure that's the way to go.

Nohar

Aw SHIT JP just got Butz & Gilgamesh event :O

I want!

Saw that earlier today. I almost want to keep my Mythril just for this event's banner, despite the fact that we probably won't see it here before a few months.
(And where is Faris dammit?!)

Red Mage

Random drop. The boss does seem to have a vast loot table (regular Orbs, Greater Fire Orbs, Greater Wind Orb).
They are however rather useless right now: the Combat ability which charges your Break meter is terribad, and the only other ability which needs Greater Fire Orbs is Leviathan. In the future we should be able to craft Firaja with them though.

Oh, I thought you were getting more than one a run.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom