• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy: Record Keeper |OT| The only ATB here is Active Time Battle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I tend to agree with this. Getting Five-Star gear is great, but you can pretty much do most/all of the game with what your Mythril provides, one way or the other. And if you DO get stuck? Go back to it later with new characters or items, wait for the level cap increase, etc.

My only complaint is that I would LIKE to spend money on the game, but the pricing model is not so good. $32 to get an Eleven-in-One pull is pretty nutty, in my opinion. I will definitely drop a little bit, just as a "developer's tip," if they ever do a sale or price cut on Gems (which I believe they have in Japan, so it's just a matter of time?).

Also, cash should just get you Mythril. What's the point of having two currencies? They would probably get a good number of impulse buys if say, somebody was at forty Mythirl and just wanted to top off for an Eleven-in-One.

Oh, and the items for each realm could be a little more even (FF XII, haha).

Their pricing model is terrible. I'm known to throw money at F2P games if I find them to be worthwhile and if the value proposition is right. In this case, it's obvious that they're going for the whales and ignoring anyone with any decent sensibilities. I'm not going to spend $30ish dollars on some in-game items - especially when the method of obtaining this is so prevalent in the game already that spending money really just feels like cheating.

Having two currencies in the game is the oldest trick in the book for these types of things. They don't want you to get the free mythril then be able to buy enough extra mythril with real money to get that 11 item pull. They want you to either have to earn it completely (aka, waiting) or to buy it outright. They'll make way more money this way because they've figured out that people are honestly crazy.

I've played this game so much that I would like to support it in a small way though, so I'll probably end up buying enough gems for extra inventory slots and calling it a day.

I still can't imagine plunking down $3,000 on this game. I'm aware that whales exist, but its just fascinating to me. If I had that much disposable income I would be traveling to Australia or something. lol

It's $3.82 for 300 gems and $37.02 for 3100 here. I would absolutely throw a few bucks at this game if the prices were reasonable, but those prices are crazy. I can't imagine paying $4 and getting a silver harp or some shit.
More importantly: Honed abilities. If I had 20 Biora I might have been able to beat Seifer. lol
I hear you on that. I started at the end of the Aerith event and only now do I feel like I'm starting to catch up and get some decent abilities.

elty

It's $3.82 for 300 gems and $37.02 for 3100 here. I would absolutely throw a few bucks at this game if the prices were reasonable, but those prices are crazy. I can't imagine paying $4 and getting a silver harp or some shit.

I guess people are not exposed to gatcha game. Many others cost more and give you less: $3-$5 per roll and the rate is a dismal 1-3% is not uncommon.

dantehemi

Need some advice on abilitys.

I have quite a few of my team up into the 40s and was wondering what are some abilitys I should be aiming to get?

I have the 3* elemental abilitys and double cut for my strong guys.. And I'm saving for blade blitz, is there some other abilitys that you guys really try to farm for or anything that I may be missing that would be great to have?

Oh and what is save scuming?

Only other free to play games I've really put time into have been Team Fortress 2 and Path of Exile where you're largely just paying for cosmetics rather than better gear or the ability to play longer, so I don't feel bad putting money into either of them.

Roto13

I have quite a few of my team up into the 40s and was wondering what are some abilitys I should be aiming to get?

I have the 3* elemental abilitys and double cut for my strong guys.. And I'm saving for blade blitz, is there some other abilitys that you guys really try to farm for or anything that I may be missing that would be great to have?

Quake.

Save scumming is when you quit the game and load it again to reset your current round if you get blinded or something.

Road

Good general purpose abilities:

1*: Boost
2*: Double Cut, Retaliate, Cura
3*: Power/Armor/Magic/Mental Break, Curaga
4*: Quake, Bladeblitz

Then you have all the elemental magic/swords and status abilities that can be useful as well, but depending on the boss weaknesses. I recommend you create those when necessary, by looking ahead the boss you're gonna fight on the official wiki.

I did a bit of upgrade dailies so I could combine some equipment. I have 4 Genji shields so I'm thinking I'll combine two of them.

Unffff at Gunblade. It's going to be hard holding off if there is that many brackets before Squall but it will hopefully be worth it.

The banners for multiple characters don't last a week, so it'll be faster than usual, but it should still take some three to four weeks until Squall, I think (where's that theory schedule someone made?).

Having two currencies in the game is the oldest trick in the book for these types of things. They don't want you to get the free mythril then be able to buy enough extra mythril with real money to get that 11 item pull. They want you to either have to earn it completely (aka, waiting) or to buy it outright. They'll make way more money this way because they've figured out that people are honestly crazy.
Huh. I guess I feel differently. I'm more inclined to buy up in Terra Battle when they do a special since they only have one currency and I can mix it with my freebies.

I've played this game so much that I would like to support it in a small way though, so I'll probably end up buying enough gems for extra inventory slots and calling it a day.
By the way, it's cheaper to use Mythril for slots. So if you want to leave a tip, buy a single pull and use three Mythirl on slots.

Got the 3 Greater Fire Orb drop from the event boss. :)

I was wondering, maybe the form it's in when it dies affects which drop you get. It was in the hand form just now when it dropped the 3 GFOs, anyone else happen to notice what form it was in when they got the same drop?

Noi

I'll be saving my Mythril for Warrior of Light's gear. He's the boi I wanna gear up the most.

Cool that he shares a banner with Sephy and Rydia, but I'm gonna be miffed if I get another Healing staff!

I'll be saving my Mythril for Warrior of Light's gear. He's the boi I wanna gear up the most.

Cool that he shares a banner with Sephy and Rydia, but I'm gonna be miffed if I get another Healing staff!
Yeah, if those banners are coming up soon, I'm gonna do an 11 pull on that one and the Tifa/Cecil/Snow/Luneth one.

Got the 3 Greater Fire Orb drop from the event boss. :)

I was wondering, maybe the form it's in when it dies affects which drop you get. It was in the hand form just now when it dropped the 3 GFOs, anyone else happen to notice what form it was in when they got the same drop?

I guess the form doesn't matter since the drop is decided when you start the stage.
Thats why fleeing and restarting the stage for farming is necessary.

I guess the form doesn't matter since the drop is decided when you start the stage.
Thats why the save/load stuff people use for farming works.
I know that's usually the case, but this boss is weird in that it has multiple possible orb drops, so maybe it has three drops set at the beginning of the round.

I know that's usually the case, but this boss is weird in that it has multiple possible orb drops, so maybe it has three drops set at the beginning of the round.

You can try it out. Just see what it drops, suspend the game, reload the round and see if it drops something different. This doesn't even cost stamina.

Falk

that puzzling face

You'll want to buy gems for a pull (even if an 11) an then use the corresponding mythril on item slots. That way you've saved* 40% of your Mythril since it's 300 Gems for a pull vs 5 Mythril.

*Yea, yea, I know, 'save via spending' fallacy etc.

You can try it out. Just see what it drops, suspend the game, reload the round and see if it drops something different. This doesn't even cost stamina.
I just beat his hand form again and the drop was the 3* Fire Orb, so I guess it's not the case sadly. Too bad, as it would of made save scumming for the Greater Fire Orbs a lot easier.

Falk

that puzzling face
Daaaaamn, I thought the Rinoa event ran until 5/23. YOU GOT LUCKY THIS TIME IGUIONS

It did.

GMT D:

We also don't really know it Calcobrena pre/post combine makes a difference, do we? I mean it should be a simple matter to check for people who are already going to it for orbs.

Wazzy

Banned
The banners for multiple characters don't last a week, so it'll be faster than usual, but it should still take some three to four weeks until Squall, I think (where's that theory schedule someone made?).

Yeah it also depends on who comes first which could make Squall come faster. I'm thinking the next events will go something like:

Vanille
Locke
Squall
Tidus

but we'll see. xD

RAGE

Missed mastery on the ff7 heroic daily by 1 star :'( I left tifa in the front row for some reason instead of moving her to the back for retaliate cloud attack fun.

Falk

that puzzling face
Yeah it also depends on who comes first which could make Squall come faster. I'm thinking the next events will go something like:

Vanille
Locke
Squall
Tidus

but we'll see. xD

There should be new paintings between Locke and Squall which means new characters.

Vorpal

Finished the Heroic daily and came out with only 3 Adamantite and 3 Small Adamantite.

iwillnotacceptthat.gif

Edit: Nevermind. This was after the first battle of the following run. ty gaf-complaint-magic

w5Skc2El.png

It's actually coming along much more quickly than I had anticipated, honsetly a bit surprised. Got this all whipped up in like 2 hours after I finally decided on what the UI shoudl look like.

NxhbGcj.jpg

This is looking so good. I can't wait to use it!

Thanks. Time to clean house. (After I already added 10 slots with mythril today.)

That sounds amazing.

It's actually coming along much more quickly than I had anticipated, honsetly a bit surprised. Got this all whipped up in like 2 hours after I finally decided on what the UI shoudl look like.

NxhbGcj.jpg

I'm still not totally comfortable with the UI, but I really suck at this kind of shit, I need a UI designer to come through and tell me how to make it look, lol. I'm just good at making it work.

Sadly, now comes the grueling task of populating the database with all of these items' stats so that I can fill out the rest of the columns :(

One thing I enjoy about working on this tool is that it gives me something to do while I'm waiting for my stamina to recover, haha.

The important question is... will it hit auto-battle for me?
just kidding, looks great

Heh. FWIW that's not even technically possible, as it can only do things that involve network traffic.

That said, even if it were possible, I'm pretty strongly opposed to doing anything other than inspecting the game traffic. Stuff like Forever 24, or anything that automates, manipulates, interferes with, or creates outgoing network traffic will definitely not be happening.

Falk

that puzzling face
Minor nitpick, but is would it be possible (or wise) to change the star ratings to show combined vs naturals? That way e.g. Mythril Armlet++ (VII) would show a 2++ rating

Then in terms of sorting it would go

4+
3++
3+
2++
2+
1++

There's a very clear power tier that the game generally follows, and it holds true both for synergy and non-synergy.

edit: Also another suggestion - if you could get the db to populate from a google docs (or even clipboard) you could get a bunch of trusted people to keep it up to date rather that sweating about every single item update.

Minor nitpick, but is would it be possible (or wise) to change the star ratings to show combined vs naturals? That way e.g. Mythril Armlet++ (VII) would show a 2++ rating

Then in terms of sorting it would go

4+
3++
3+
2++
2+
1++

There's a very clear power tier that the game generally follows, and it holds true both for synergy and non-synergy.
That's a great idea actually, should be easy to do

edit: Also another suggestion - if you could get the db to populate from a google docs (or even clipboard) you could get a bunch of trusted people to keep it up to date rather that sweating about every single item update.

Funny you should mention that, I literally just spent the past 2 hours putting an item stats editor into the tool that's only enabled if you know the magic incantation. It looks like this right now

Ljeeg2P.jpg

but I was planning to fill it in tomorrow. I don't really want to mess with docs integration or anything, seems like it would be way too complicated. Using this little editor though, I could in theory have a docs sheet where whoever wants to can write new items into it, and then I can look at it every so often and manually add the items.

Another option would be to create a "missing items" table that looks just like what I have above, but instead of containing everything it contains only user-submitted items. Then every time I notice it I could move them over to the main table.

Also has anyone discovered if its better to retreat reset on liquid flame till you get her to drop 3x greater orbs or better to just keep rerunning the whole thing?

Also has anyone discovered if its better to retreat reset on liquid flame till you get her to drop 3x greater orbs or better to just keep rerunning the whole thing?

Lots of the better 2 and 3 drop orbs, so unless all you're running for is the 3x orb (it also drops the occasional 4* wind orb) I'd say run through. You also get the magicite shards doing the whole thing again which you can also spend on greater orbs.

Nohar

Depends. 3x Greater Fire Orbs is excellent. However, you will miss Lesser and Regular Orbs from the dungeon runs (and they drop very often) and tokens (which you need to buy some rewards), and they are only useful for Leviathan right now (but we will be able to craft Firaja with them later).
Once you've bought everything you wanted from Doctor Mog, I guess it would be more interesting to retreat and reset the final boss. Someone did the maths on reddit I think.

Lots of the better 2 and 3 drop orbs, so unless all you're running for is the 3x orb (it also drops the occasional 4* wind orb) I'd say run through. You also get the magicite shards doing the whole thing again which you can also spend on greater orbs.

Depends. 3x Greater Fire Orbs is excellent. However, you will miss Lesser and Regular Orbs from the dungeon runs (and they drop very often) and tokens (which you need to buy some rewards), and they are only useful for Leviathan right now (but we will be able to craft Firaja with them later).
Once you've bought everything you wanted from Doctor Mog, I guess it would be more interesting to retreat and reset the final boss. Someone did the maths on reddit I think.

Gotcha thanks

Also I remember reading that Leviathan is given away as a reward later for an event is that true?

Just checked, I managed to get the last things I needed for quake, so quake get! One greater wind orb from blade blitz as well. Finally my abilities are starting to get good. With Lenna on level 27 also making good progress healer wise. Going to keep her on a staff till she gains a few more levels at the very least I think.

Overall I think this is easily the best grinding event so far since even just doing the dungeon nets you some pretty impressive drops versus relying solely on the turn ons. Going to give up finishing what's left of my elites to do this event for at least the next week.

(edit) Whoot! Another clear, another set of 3 greater fire orbs... Om nom nom.

Nohar

Gotcha thanks

Also I remember reading that Leviathan is given away as a reward later for an event is that true?

Quoted directly from reddit (original post here, by user skuldnoshinpu):

Given that people are farming a lot of summon orbs, it might be worth it to point out that you may not want to craft these yet. These are not necessarily because these abilities are worthless, but because of two main other reasons:

1) Quests. Based on the JP version, they will likely add small 'quests' which give you rewards for doing certain things. Some of these involve crafting or honing abilities. For instance, one of the quests is "Craft Dragon", which rewards a Mithril. The catch is, this is not retroactive, so if you already crafted Dragon, you have to accept the quest and then craft a second one in order to get quest credit. This is not a big deal for some of the more common abilities, but for abilities that require hard-to-get or rare orbs (such as Summon orbs) you really don't want to craft something twice if you don't have to.

2) Event rewards. Some of the summons are also given as event rewards. Depending on the ability, this might be a reward for a very difficult battle but if you can clear it it might save you some orbs.

So here's the list of summons which you might want to hold off on crafting if you want:
Dragon - Requires 2* Summon orbs, needed for quest
Shiva - Requires 3* Summon orbs, needed for quest
Ifrit - Requires 3* Summon orbs, needed for quest
Ramuh - Requires 3* Summon orbs, needed for quest
Kirin - Requires 2* Summon Orbs. Master reward from a battle in the Edgar/Sabin event.
Valefor - Requires 4* Summon Orbs. Master reward from a battle in the repeat Tidus event
Leviathan - Requires 4* Summon Orbs. First time reward from a battle in the Squall event
Carbunchle - Requires 4* Summon Orbs. First time reward from a battle in the Garnet event
Ixion - Requires 4* Summon Orbs. First time reward from a battle in the Yuna event
Alexander - Requires 4* Summon Orbs. First time reward from a battle in the Edgar/Sabin event.
Quetzalcoatl - Requires 4* Summon Orbs. First time reward from a battle in the repeat Rinoa event.

Disclaimer: of course like the Aeris event there is definitely a possibility that the Global release will change rewards or alter how you get things compared to JP release, so take everything here with a grain of salt.

Falk

that puzzling face
it's a shame that for a game called record keeper, the game doesn't have record-y stuff, like a bestiary or an audio test.

This would be such an excellent feature.

I mean, why not even throw in 'kill X number of Y monsters' cheevos in the bestiary for more mythril rewards. Gives a reason to go farm old dungeons for variety instead of the same few bosses over and over for min-max stam/orb returns.

Nohar

Is Lenna considered better than Aerith? her soul break sure sounds useful.

Situational. Aerith is more flexible, thanks to her ability choices (Lenna will get access to Dancer abilities later, but she can't use any right now, because there aren't any to equip anyway). Lenna is definitly more restricted, but can use bows, so she can be helpful in some farming situations (mostly to finish off monsters already weakened). Aerith's SB is very useful if you need to Silence and/or Stop enemies (assuming they cast spells or can be stopped at all). Lenna's SB is more useful against boss fights which would drag on. As for stats, they are nearly identical.
Both are good. Lenna will be more useful if you know you're going to need that Regen effect on everyone. I made good use of it against the Dreadnought (FFXIII Elite, second fight).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom