• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy: Record Keeper |OT| The only ATB here is Active Time Battle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vorpal

I want to hone Bladeblitz, so I'm back on my Humbaba grind. Averaging 1 Greater Wind Orb per 100 stamina. Classic Humbaba.

It really pains me that as great as a game this (and others like it) is, it's pretty much shackled to the freemium business model where the people in charge essentially don't give a shit what happens to individual accounts as long as it never hits a critical mass of people leaving, since there's always more schmucks willing to call in whale airstrikes, and it doesn't affect their business if a couple of f2p players quit.

It feels in many ways like having a ticking time bomb strapped to you and you just have to enjoy life as much as possible and not worry about when it's going to go off.

edit: If I ever have to voluntarily change phones or reinstall or whatever, I'm probably going to get a 3rd device, transfer there and make sure it works for a day or two first before nuking the old one. Same for all the other freemium crap on my phone.

If my phone gets stolen... well I'll probably have a shit ton more things to worry about than a mobile game or two. :V

This game is so good it makes me hope for an expanded 3ds version like puzzle and dragons got. Maybe it could be including ff15 and 14 content? Id gladly pay $40 and it could include some less intrusive micro transactions even.

On topic, I feel like my characters have pretty good damage but they can't take a hit.

How do i get better armor and gear? I have like 4 gold 5 star weapons but only a few 3 star armors.

Vanille and Snow now lvl 50. Think I'll attempt Elite now for her. Got Thundaja already but would like to get the rewards for Elite. Then attempting some more Classic Elites to get the last few remaining done before more land.

2 dungeons left to master(already beat). Garula and Iron Claw. At 100 stamina at the moment so I guess the max is 100 2/5...unless I've overlooked something.

Hope the next event is fun because I should also have Vanille's event done sometime soon, maybe tomorrow. When does the next event come out? Wednesday?

On a losing streak on draws lately...couple 4 stars and then like three 3 stars.

Noi

"yay the Lenna event is done, I can finally catch up on Vanil-"

*EXP sunday!*

I ain't passing on the one hassle-free chance per week to level up Gordon.

Negator

Is it me or is he by far the worst of the named characters we've gotten? I can't stand him. I've tried, he's level 30 for me but it will be a struggle dragging him through battles to get him to 50.

Gordon REALLY sucks. I think the characters that come the closest to sucking as much as him are Snow and Tifa.

Speaking of Sunday EXP, Only four of my characters are below the level cap now. Knight(lol), Vanille, Gordon, and Red Mage. I took Vanille out of the XP daily when she hit 49 because I want at least some XP to go out to her when doing Locke's event, but I never want to use Gordon, Red Mage, or Knight again so they're trio-ing the XP daily.

Giard

Any tips on how to beat Anima? I can beat pretty much all the rest of the mobs easily when doing the event on Hard, but Anima kicks my ass once it starts spamming thunder on my party.

Negator

Any tips on how to beat Anima? I can beat pretty much all the rest of the mobs easily when doing the event on Hard, but Anima kicks my ass once it starts spamming thunder on my party.

Try magic breaking the hand that's alive. It might reduce the damage to managable levels for you.

Wazzy

Banned

Always make sure to take out one arm so the thunder isn't happening twice. If you know the retaliate method, it works great, especially if one arm is gone.

Roto13

Has anyone done the math on the best way to use the EXP dungeon? I can't consistently get champion on a Heroic room with my B-team. Should I just use the Hard dungeon?

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Did my second Heroic run on Vanille just to get a better feel for it since my first try was a 2x Anima route and I had to bail out around the middle.

This time it was a more reasonable route and I got all the way up to the last Anima, but even though I still had Retaliates there was no way I’d beat it without a health refill. After a couple tries I couldn’t resist using one Mythril to heal (first time I do it in the game), even though I wasn’t expecting to get the mastery because I had more experts than champions. I was already planning my next run with way more scumminess in my savescumming, but then…

uAcByzB.png

I still managed to master it! And now I’m just 20k away from Thundaja, so I won’t be late for Locke either, even though I played Lenna until it was gone after I got Vanille. I’m glad that in the end this grindy event fiesta wasn’t as harmful as I thought it would be.

Locke event announced for tomorrow!

Haha they don't stop! I thought that I would have a day or two more where I am not having a hard time deciding what to do between 2 events.

2 collection events in a row was not pleasant. I am only at 30K in Vanille event because I farmed Shards in Lenna's event until the last second and I leveled up Vanille and Snow today in the daily to help me mastering Heroic. Locke is my favorite character with Celes, I guess I can at least get him tomorrow to level him up while I grind Vanille event!

Red Mage

Is it me or is he by far the worst of the named characters we've gotten? I can't stand him. I've tried, he's level 30 for me but it will be a struggle dragging him through battles to get him to 50.

Gordon sucked, even in II. The only one as bad is Edward.

BTW when we catch up to the JP version, will it just be long times between events?

Also, I'd suggest saving the mythril for Tidus or Squall. We have a ton of FFVI items.

Gordon sucked, even in II. The only one as bad is Edward.

BTW when we catch up to the JP version, will it just be long times between events?

Also, I'd suggest saving the mythril for Tidus or Squall. We have a ton of FFVI items.
In the upgraded versions of FFIV, Edward was actually a lot more useful. He was a freaking speed demon and could slice through undead mobs like butter. He'll always be my spoony bard.

Gordon was kinda meh, but I actually don't mind him in Record Keeper. His new sprite really pops IMO.

alcheim

Hmm... seems like we might be getting new dungeon updates soon.

I went back through previously cleared realms to finish the remaining Elites (on FFVIII -FFXIII), and my phone suddenly ran out of space while I was at the inventory screen. Turns out, the game was downloading new stuff in the background. I really hope its for those cool features that are already in the JP version.

Anyway, bring on the Locke event. I'll just be here grinding Heroic Exp dungeons til the new stuff hits.

Thundaja get... Almost wish the events would slow down, I still have a few elites to master and I was finally going to get to it since I mastered Vanille's event.

Roto13

Thundaja get... Almost wish the events would slow down, I still have a few elites to master and I was finally going to get to it since I mastered Vanille's event.

It's only the grind events that take up any time. Knock the Locke stuff out quick and you'll probably be ready to go back to Elites after a day or two.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Thankfully this kind of mess doesn't happen on the iOS version (from my experience), although that doesn't stop everything outside of the battles from feeling like a glorified browser game.

I've only ever had the game get stuck on a screen twice. No graphic glitches or anything like that. And it runs pretty smooth too.

(iOS iPhone 6)

Forza down. That fight was extremely easy with my abilities now upgraded. Trying the 70 elites right now and hopefully they're not too bad.

Walse Tower's boss Garula is actually a cinch. Just petrify him for a OHKO. He's one of the very few bosses that's vulnerable to petrification.

I mastered Shiva at Walse Castle by the skin of my teeth. Cleared the other two - Karnak and the Library - but I'm leaving Mastery til later since the bosses are bloody tough.

Wazzy

Banned
Walse Tower's boss Garula is actually a cinch. Just petrify him for a OHKO. He's one of the very few bosses that's vulnerable to petrification.

I mastered Shiva at Walse Castle by the skin of my teeth. Cleared the other two - Karnak and the Library - but I'm leaving Mastery til later since the bosses are bloody tough.
Yeah I beat shiva but it was brutal because of the previous fights.

I'm almost done XIII's elites and then I'll only have a couple X and V elites left.

Falk

that puzzling face
THIS POST SPOILS UPCOMING EVENTS. GO AWAY IF YOU DON'T WANT TO BE SPOILED

In the spirit of the previous crystal ball post (which actually turns out to be 100% accurate so far!) I'm looking at all the upcoming stuff yet again. Actually, considering this is where JP started getting reruns for previously missable characters, I'm less confident that this will be nearly as accurate as we don't know how that's gonna translate to the EN service. Still, it's a decent rough idea of what abilities to prepare or at least work towards, even if the events come out of order. Just like Lenna event, it would be ass if they skip events just due to the easy reward factor for the majority of temporarily available content.

tl;dr disclaimer: EVENTS MIGHT NOT BE EXACTLY AS ADVERTISED HERE

--------------------------------
t1433206800z0.png

Locke Event - Dungeon Clear (like Cecil/Rinoa/etc)
Locke cavorting around FF6's world, retreading a lot of the same stuff from the FFVI paintings.

The way this is set up is very similar to Rinoa's event, except 15 stages instead of 10. Hence, 15 Normal stages and 15 Elite stages.

General Idea
- Since many of the bosses are carbon copies of the FFVI paintings, it's in large part a free ride. However on Elite the numbers do get nuts, and blowing abilities on trash just to minimize action stars lost means you want to hone your core abilities somewhat. Armor/Power/Magic/Mental Breaks are good candidates as they're almost always going to be present on any strat, and having +2 shots to use on each Break on trash waves helps a shit ton, and will also benefit in the long term.
- Many bosses are susceptible to Paralysis. Hone Intimidate to at least 4 uses. Again, this is also useful long-term
- As having Locke present is a star requisite on the final boss, and this event (presumably) runs through the next dungeon update, a general guideline might be to do the Elites till they start getting too hard, then hold off till the dungeon update hits and plonk Locke in there to level up before continuing.
- Ice attribute is iffy. While it helps a ton on some bosses, using them loses you stars on some Elite fights (unless they change it, which I highly doubt) so I'm not sure if blowing orbs on honing them is worth it.
- Retaliate meta is going to destroy things here if you have something Cyan can use, since his +10 levels from Record Synergy makes him outclass Seph and Cloud.
- I expect this event to be an extended 14-day event (like Rinoa event) just due to how it's positioned right before (presumably!) a dungeon update, and has a similar ending difficulty, albeit not a succession of witches bosses hence not a crazy endurance test.

Elite Final Boss
- has 180k HP, is susceptible to Poison, Blind, Slow and has an asshole requirement on Elite.
- Cheese tactic involves at least 4 shots of Reflect. The boss enters a berserk state with ridiculous abilities at lower HP, but will spend his turn clearing Reflect if you have it cast. Haste on your reflect guy while slowing the boss can actually reduce the amount of incoming damage by a ton.
- Dark Buster is quite awesome as the boss hits like a truck but can be blinded. Blind and Magic Break should make the fight more manageable.
- One of the clear reqs on Elite mode is to not use Ice attribute attacks which is the opposite of the Normal dungeon (and hence, an asshole requirement). I think ultimately it depends just how much Ice stuff you have, and if using it loses you three stars but saves you on actions and damage taken stars, it's probably more worth it.

(Personal hypothesis: I think they may bring back the banner for FF6 gear here, and/or include a bunch of it in Locke's banner to entice people to gacha since the event gets really ridiculous towards the end)

t1433725200z0.png

New Dungeons
Focusing on XIII, introducing IX and XII (finally lol), and some continuation of III, VII and VIII. XIII has the hardest elites, hence why I was saying try to save pulls for Vanille event. This update marks the point where the game starts feeling like you constantly have too many things to do at once. Get used to it, lol.

Record Materia get introduced in this update, I believe.

This post will not list every single Record Materia/unlock prereqs/etc. (I'm sure someone will badly translate the JP list) but what you need to know in a nutshell:
- Record Materia is a function where, at lv50, doing a certain prereq will "limit break" a character, which
++ raises his max lv cap from 50 to 65
++ gives him 1 Materia slot
++ gives you the character's first Record Materia
++ gives you the ability to unlock the character's second Record Materia (harder reqs, often RNG)
- You can swap Record Materia around. As long as someone has a Materia slot (limit break'd) you can use any Record Materia you have earned.
- If looking at JP lists, not all of them were available right away. Might be different on EN considering we had Record Synergy from the start, but just a heads-up.
- Most of them kick ass, but of special note are BM/WHM/Summoner which recharge uses per stage, something that is unique in the game right now and irreplaceable for longevity.
- Due to the way a lot of 2nd tier Record Materia (the good stuff) unlocks, which simply requires the characters to be involved in your party and then praying to RNGesus, you'll probably want to Limit Break them first, chuck them in the party, THEN start clearing the normal dungeons with them in the party. This applies to e.g. Tyro, Summoner, etc. Thankfully BM/WHM have very straightforward unlock conditions for 2nd tier Record Materia.

4* Orb Farming for certain flavors gets a lot easier. Will post separately.

t1433725200z0.png

Shinra Event - Dungeon Clear

I'm really not sure when this is gonna be in our service. On one hand, this was a period where JP was getting a shit ton of events one after another (holiday) and the 'goal' was stated to be eventual parity. On the other, not much has broken the very rigid 6-days-one-update release schedule on EN up to now. I'm personally leaning towards this being concurrent with the previous dungeon update but I can very well be wrong on this one. We'll see! I'm 100% sure they won't outright skip this event, since a final reward is Blizzaja, in the same vein that Vanille gave a Thundaja and the next event gives Firaja, etc.

Anyway, event itself is essentially a "catch up" event for newer players as it rewards a bunch of abilities outright. Some of the placement (Armor Break being a reward for clearing a 50k hp boss) is a little weird, though, but I guess that's because it was their first shot at such an event, or maybe Armor Break wasn't that popular in JP meta at that point? (lol)

5 Normal, 5 Elite stages, and a bonus "Boss Rush" final final stage to top it all off. Not really too hard compared to the previous events, especially if you have good Thunder abilities and Intimidate.

Most events from this point on have a Boss Rush. If you have WHM/BM/Summoner record materias at this point, THEY REALLY SHINE. It's essentially 3 (or more) extra casts of Black Magic and/or Summons throughout the Boss Rush, and when you think about the honing costs, you can see why it's ridiculously OP.

t1434243600z0.png

Tidus Event - Dungeon Clear

*** ALERT ALERT ALERT ***
Tidus' Record Materia is only available during this event. We're not sure when it's coming around next but definitely not for months.

As above, I'm not too sure when this event hits, but if my speculation that the previous event is concurrent with the new dungeons/record materia release is correct, then the above countdown is 6 days after that. Many of the bosses are susceptible to Paralysis, and the req is for Tidus and Wakka to be present. Start grinding them now if you haven't.

Tidus gets his Record Materia here. You need to beat Elite Chocobo Eater, but at ~50k HP, it's a cinch compared to the elites in the game right now. This isn't hard for most people who have been playing a while and are at the point where Tidus is 50

10 Normal, 10 Elite stages, bonus Boss Rush. The Boss Rush is actually more lenient considering the free stars from the special conditions (Tidus/Wakka present) gives you leeway to lose stars elsewhere.

Firaja is the final Elite reward.

t1434762000z0.png

Squall Event - Dungeon Clear

Squall's Record Materia is only available during this event (till much later) so if you miss it you can't get it till much later. It's also trickier than Tidus.

Again, not sure as to release date of this; just going with +6 from previous event for now. The premise of this event is that Squall failed to assassinate Edea and returns to Garden. I get the feeling that the game is actually rubbing it in that most of us failed Stage 10 Elite Sorceress rofl.

Anyway, remember T-Rex? Sure you do. He's back, he's angrier, and now he has 120k HP and you have to beat him to get Squall's Record Materia. He's still vulnerable to Poison, Paralysis, and Ice attacks though so if you're prepared beforehand like Batman this shouldn't be trouble. (Powerlevelling Squall to 50 in time might be tricky though)

10 Normal, 10 Elite stages, bonus Boss Rush. (Pretty standard by now)

Some JP forums are saying the Final Boss is not immune to instant death, which should be hilarious. As with previous events, there's a Boss Rush.

I have 4 shots of intimidate (well i need 2 more orbs first) but im way behind levelling up celes, she's only 30. A bit worried about that. I also only have 4 shots of magic break, armor break, and retaliate which could work against me

Falk

that puzzling face
If you haven't already? Nope.

For what it's worth though, you probably could feed new characteres some growth eggs to get them to maybe ~20 and then drag them through the Heroic XP dungeon (since you'd want to be levelling your guys past 50 too) since events typically will always overlap a weekend.

In fact you might wanna get used to doing this considering a -lot- of events give you both the character and the record materia at the same time from Tidus on out.

Ashodin

I have 4 shots of intimidate (well i need 2 more orbs first) but im way behind levelling up celes, she's only 30. A bit worried about that. I also only have 4 shots of magic break, armor break, and retaliate which could work against me

All my FF6 dudes are 50. Nyah!

Wazzy

Banned
I won't have any VI characters for the Locke event so I hope his elites aren't too hard. Tidus event should be okay since I have Tidus at 50 and Wakka around 45.

I need to get Intimidate for X elites anyway so I should have it in time for the event.

Vorpal

Shiva was easily the elite boss that's given me the most trouble so far. I prepped for the wrong boss, so I was totally unprepared but too stubborn to retreat and wait for a stamina refresh. S/Led so many times. I feel like I only won due to some incredibly lucky combination of damage distribution and misses.

Whew. Anyway. Ready for Locke!

Another event? So soon? Getting tired of this game, sadly :( Here I am earning 2000 Memories per full stamina bar grinding for that +15 ATK Accessory in the Vanille Event (forget about Thundaja...) and there's another event on the horizon? I barely managed to make Quake from the Lenna one...

The "wait 2 play" structure of this game is really getting on my nerves. That plus timed events that basically require you to pay real money for Stamina refills (or lose Mythril, which I have 133 right now).

Bah... hate to love this game.

Hey Falk, do you know when Japan got / we are going to get the faster battle speed, quest system, friend system, soul break learning or the ability to see enemy HP?

Falk

that puzzling face
Another event? So soon? Getting tired of this game, sadly :( Here I am earning 2000 Memories per full stamina bar grinding for that +15 ATK Accessory in the Vanille Event (forget about Thundaja...) and there's another event on the horizon? I barely managed to make Quake from the Lenna one...

The "wait 2 play" structure of this game is really getting on my nerves. That plus timed events that basically require you to pay real money for Stamina refills (or lose Mythril, which I have 133 right now).

Huh... How far are you in the Classic/Elite paintings progression? I think it may be worth going as far as you can in those first before grinding events something hardcore, since it's free stam refills AND gives you a slightly meatier stamina bar overall.

Hey Falk, do you know when Japan got / we are going to get the faster battle speed, quest system, friend system, soul break learning or the ability to see enemy HP?

Not soon enough lol

(Wasn't entirely sure but the major features were all 1 month apart, when new dungeons launch)

If you spend mythril you get better equipment which makes tougher stages(hard/heroic) possible to complete thus you're getting more for your stamina. There is no reason you should have 133 mythril...you must be saving for 1 specific item in which case you really aren't playing the game. You're just playing "spend 150 mythril on one item for my favorite character game." If that's what you want to do, fine...but don't complain about 2000 memories when you could be getting better gear with all that mythril which would make it so you can clear more dungeons and get more stamina.

Does airplane mode S/L for boss drops inflate percentages? Or is that one of the edge cases mentioned?

It's one of the non edge-cases mentioned :) The normal case for S/L is if you dont' see the drops you like, you flee. So one of the 3 primary cases is you flee, it'll record those drops then. But that's fine, because even though you didn't actually get those drops, it was still a unique loot roll generated by the server that you'll never see again.

The edge cases are that event battles sometimes come across slightly differently, and also if you S/L but when you come back in you hit Quit instead of Resume, that gets handled differently.

If you spend mythril you get better equipment which makes tougher stages(hard/heroic) possible to complete thus you're getting more for your stamina. There is no reason you should have 133 mythril...you must be saving for 1 specific item in which case you really aren't playing the game. You're just playing "spend 150 mythril on one item for my favorite character game." If that's what you want to do, fine...but don't complain about 2000 memories when you could be getting better gear with all that mythril which would make it so you can clear more dungeons and get more stamina.

Good point... I guess I am waiting for a better banner?

I swear I will spend 50 Mythril on a 11* pull when I'll clock 150 Mythril... and I hope I get at least 1 5* item (currently have 0 5*).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom