• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy: Record Keeper |OT| The only ATB here is Active Time Battle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nohar

Fucking Norg shell has way too much HP on Elite.

This. I have good equipment and characters now, and this boss took ages to kill. Gosh was I relieved when he finally came out of his shell: Death* dealt with him swiftly. Good riddance.

* Just read that the spell wasn't guaranteed to work... Oh my. I was lucky.

He is constantly using Protect and Shell on himself. Frankly, he is begging us to Vit0 him.
I'm not eager to fight him again during the boss rush... In fact, I expect that boss rush to be a little difficult.

Just finished taking down Norg. It took forever to get him out of his pod. After he did I got lucky and death killed him on the first attempt. Now onto completing more Elites.

Roto13

Should I just hang around Fabul Castle until the Bard's record materia drops? Seems like a bad idea to risk taking him into uncleared Elites.

Brandson

Just barely beat the elite oilboyles. The oil shot attack one-shot Vivi (for 4500) right after the first oilboyle died. The rest of the fight was a long slog after that. Oil shot seems like it's physical, so I'd say power break would be helpful for that fight. My sleep also missed many times before landing. Not doing that fight again.

Just barely beat the elite oilboyles. The oil shot attack one-shot Vivi (for 4500) right after the first oilboyle died. The rest of the fight was a long slog after that. Oil shot seems like it's physical, so I'd say power break would be helpful for that fight. My sleep also missed many times before landing. Not doing that fight again.

Silence will stop the oil attack

Red Mage

It's physical. Used Tyro's defense summon.

I went back and Vit0'd Norg. No shame. I'll be sad when it's gone, but this is one of the dumbest glitch/bugs I've used to progress in a game in a long time.

I can't beat that damn t-rex for Squall's crystal :(

Yeah, he was hard.

1) My first try was the standard FF8 event party:

firstiwso7.png

Yeah that didn't went very good. Rule of thumb: if your melee chars cannot OHKO trash mobs then it means the boss gonna mop you up. I S/L during the T-Rex fight about 10 times for Blind Strike to connect but it never did. Vivi was hitting him with Blizzaga for 4500 but that was just not enough... his tail swipe once killed 4 of my chars in one hit.

The party is just way too undereveled (and my 5* weapons as well) for me to succeed.

2) Second try was my "best" party (not much difference, lol):

second6ms5z.png

Additionally I crafted Blind Buster (Wakka) and Blizzara Strike (Cloud) to have better chances.

It went much better. Terra's Blizzagas were hitting him for 9999, Cloud's Blizzara Strike as well. Blind Buster connected on first hit and then I remembered that I have Cloud's special SB on Hardedge which Paralyzes the enemy (AND hit him for 9999 as well). Cannot tell if he was paralyzed or not - is there a special icon for that?

No but the REAL DEAL here is the blindness. YOU HAVE TO BLIND HIM. All the counter's will miss then, dunno about Tail Swipes. You can win w/o Paralyze but you cannot win w/o blinding the bastard:

thirdlmsyk.png

fourth0nswh.png

When multiple status are up the icons alternate between each other.

In my battle with the T-Rex I found retaliate was really helpful (it is helpful against boss counterattacks in general as they can't counter counter attacks) but blind and intimidate were also key to survival.

It seems for the boss rush people are putting theories across of just going in with sleep and poison and just nuking it with magic.

Whoa. I actually mastered the FF IX Boss Rush, just under the wire. I used a Mythril to revive once, which is starting to make sense since it's not doing me much for relics.

MicH

Mastered the Oilboyles fight. Silencing them works wonders! Put one yo sleep while you silence the other one and take it out. Then silence the other one

Don't think I can defeat Norg elite though

SunGod

124/128 quests complete, the FFVIII event and all classic and elite story dungeons mastered. Just missing Bard, Ranger and Kain's second record materia now so I'm grinding for those before bed, will farm orbs for the next few days around when the boss rush is released :)

johnsmith

remember me
124/128 quests complete, the FFVIII event and all classic and elite story dungeons mastered. Just missing Bard, Ranger and Kain's second record materia now so I'm grinding for those before bed, will farm orbs for the next few days around when the boss rush is released :)

How the hell is this even possible? I've barely touched the elites because of the ridiculous stamina costs. Are you burning mythril for stamina or buying gems?

SunGod

How the hell is this even possible? I've barely touched the elites because of the ridiculous stamina costs. Are you burning mythril for stamina or buying gems?

I spent two mythril refilling my stamina over the past few days (best time is when you're on 2/5 shards, so you can usually tackle two more elite dungeons very quickly and get it up to 4/5 then simply wait for stamina to refill to try a 5th and after completing that you have a refilled stamina bar :)) and I haven't had to retry any parts of any dungeons so that helped.

SunGod

Do you wake up in the middle of the night to use your stamina? If not, I really need to start using my stamina more efficiently.

lol nope I'm not that dedicated, I usually get 7-8 hours sleep :) I also held onto the four stamina shards that were given out a while ago so I got a free refresh that way (add them when you have 0/5 shards so it jumps to 4/5 then go complete a dungeon for a free refresh)

Roto13

Got tired of doing cheap easy dungeons to try to get the second Bard Record Materia to drop so I'm taking him on Elites.

Apparently I only have like five abilities he can use. Jesus.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Long-term who can use guns besides Irvine? I got his shit special weapon from a 50-pull and I'd rather have the spot empty then use him, but maybe the weapon is salvageable?

Pejo

Got Black Mage's 2nd RM, that boss fight with only magic was interesting to say the least.

Did you use Carbuncle? I'm building stamina to try that same stage out.

Also, did anyone have any luck with Norg Elite yet? I fought that bastard for like 11 minutes and ran out of skills, but had vivi alive and death ready, but couldn't break the cockpit. I'm not sure what else I can do to get more damage on the pod. Bard materia II made hitting the nodes a breeze, but shit. Ended up fleeing and retreating.

Roto13

Also, did anyone have any luck with Norg Elite yet? I fought that bastard for like 11 minutes and ran out of skills, but had vivi alive and death ready, but couldn't break the cockpit. I'm not sure what else I can do to get more damage on the pod. Bard materia II made hitting the nodes a breeze, but shit. Ended up fleeing and retreating.

It took me 20 minutes, but I did it. I threw everything I had at him until I ran out of abilities and then whittled away the rest of the pod's HP until it opened. Then I hit Norg himself with some Gravities and whittled him down slowly, too.... Still somehow managed to get one medal for actions taken.

Hated that fight. Hope I never have to fight him again. The event details don't mention a boss rush.

Pejo

It took me 20 minutes, but I did it. I threw everything I had at him until I ran out of abilities and then whittled away the rest of the pod's HP until it opened. Then I hit Norg himself with some Gravities and whittled him down slowly, too.... Still somehow managed to get one medal for actions taken.

Hated that fight. Hope I never have to fight him again. The event details don't mention a boss rush.

Yea it truly is a pain in the ass. If they do come out with a boss rush, depending on the summon/reward, I might try again. I think I read on Reddit that in the JP version, the summon is Leviathan, which is sorta "meh" to me. If that ends up being true, I'll probably skip the end of this event like I skipped the FFX one and keep working on elites/honing my 3-4 star abilities.

GAMERG0D

Nah I didn't use summons. I used Black Mage, Terra, Garnet, Vivi, and Cloud and had each of the three main elements for charges. I got lucky tbh. Black Mage takes a lot of hits though.

Uh... Initial impression of Irvine is very poor, but maybe it's because I only have crappy daggers. What's the point of high level black magic if you don't have the stats and gear proficiency to back it up?

Nohar

Uh... Initial impression of Irvine is very poor, but maybe it's because I only have crappy daggers. What's the point of high level black magic if you don't have the stats and gear proficiency to back it up?

He had access to 5* BM and 4* WM in the japanese version when he was first released. Irvine is restricted to 1* Black Magic and 2* White Magic in our version, with 5* Support and 3* Combat, making him a decent ranged fighter (as long as you have a gun, that is).
His magic skills are useless for damage. On the other hand, he has some utility, since he can bring some spells such as Poison and Sleep (though Busters are more interesting).

He had access to 5* BM and 4* WM in the japanese version when he was first released. Irvine is restricted to 1* Black Magic and 2* White Magic in our version, with 5* Support and 3* Combat, making him a decent ranged fighter (as long as you have a gun, that is).
His magic skills are useless for damage. On the other hand, he has some utility, since he can bring some spells such as Poison and Sleep (though Busters are more interesting).

I see. My reference material is dated then and I should look at the actual in-game information. I lack a firearm for Irvine at this point, and considering I have Rising Sun and Official Ball for Locke and Wakka, I don't see him bumping them for ranged attacker any time soon. I'm only using him right now for the bonus XP and stats while I clear out the event--right now he's using Mental and Magic Break. Squall seems pretty good at least... Similar to Cloud.

Negator

Accidentally went into the last fight of Palumporum 2 with no Protectga. Oh god. Will just spam summons and pray.

Edit: Ran out of abilities. I'm not going to bother with this one for a while...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom