• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy: Record Keeper |OT| The only ATB here is Active Time Battle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Narag

I notice the common strategy for the EX+ boss battle in the Marriage of Convenience event is to use the Carbuncle summon. Unfortunately, I don't have that summon and I lack the 5 Greater Holy orbs needed to craft it (spent them all getting Curaja to 6 uses a few days ago).

Do I need to stop and grind for orbs, or is there an alternate strategy that might work? Also, where's the most reliable place to get Greater Holy Orbs?

There's 5 greater Holy Orbs that are rewards from the event elite missions.

Pejo

Aw, I reached the point where I can't quite clear things easily with scrubs

Yea, it's always sad when you gotta put the real characters in. Red Mage MVP'd the entire classic mode Yuna event for me. Shame he sucks so bad, I love his character pixel art.

I notice the common strategy for the EX+ boss battle in the Marriage of Convenience event is to use the Carbuncle summon. Unfortunately, I don't have that summon and I lack the 5 Greater Holy orbs needed to craft it (spent them all getting Curaja to 6 uses a few days ago).

Do I need to stop and grind for orbs, or is there an alternate strategy that might work? Also, where's the most reliable place to get Greater Holy Orbs?

In many instances you could also use a Roaming Warrior Celes for her Runic Blade. Have your black mage or summoner (it can be pretty brutal with a couple of good Summons) throw it up and you'll negate all single-target enemy black magic, as well as restore spell charges. It can be fun to go nuts with Tier 4 BLM and SMNs.

Vorpal

Yuna was fine, but not the main character. It was Tidus, for whatever reason. Honestly, if the game had been centered around Yuna or her dad, it'd been a much better game.

Yeah, I'm with you on this. I replayed FFX when it was remastered and found myself getting really annoyed every time Tidus jumped into a conversation to say "this is MY STORY." C'mon dude, this is clearly Yuna's story. She's the one on the pilgrimage! You're just working out some of your own stuff on the side.

Still love the game though. Especially the battle system <3

FFX is Tidus' story. Its the story of a Gaijin white guy being thrown into Feudal Japan and not knowing WTF is going on and everyone hiding the truth from him for most of the game.

Falk

that puzzling face
I never played MMOs in my life and this game IMO has something from the MMOs that I dread - an unfinished state. I cannot commit to an unfinished title, I need to know the full scope before it. It is really, really bugging me.

Most (good) MMOs are self-contained stories that bring closure to major story arcs with the last content update of a cycle. Expansions to MMOs are more like sequels than finishing off an incomplete story.

Take be low-hanging fruit example - WoW. Vanilla finished off its core story - a resolution to the problems in the Plaguelands since Naxxramas showed up with Kel'thuzad. TBC finished off the stories introduced there - what happened to Kael'thas, Vashj, Illidan, and what happened with Kil'jaeden. WotLK wrapped up... appropriately enough, Arthas' story.

RK is not anywhere near comparable.

edit: I'm liking the adjustment to stages (and therefore stamina cost) of the events. All of them are 3 stages. Already done with the event (sans EX/EX+) and back to regular programming.

edit2: Holy shit so many 3* Fire orbs

edit3: Seymour Wedding Calisthenics Cheerleading Squad 2015

ptDzU2L.jpg

johnsmith

remember me
Huh, TIdus just got the ability to use thrown weapons on the JP version. They should just reclassify balls as thrown weapons at this point, makes no sense to have them be their own weapon type.

Razmos

Doesn't sound like the Quistis/Selphie event is gonna be very exciting either.

I was just reading through the event guide and the dungeons themselves and all the bosses are basically exactly the same as the classic dungeons we have already (though at the very least, my Rinoa with Angel Wing Bolt is gonna dominate this event, gonna get that gil as a roaming warrior ^_^)

Only real notable rewards (aside from the 2 best waifus) are the Hyper Wrist (4*, +20 Attack) and the Flail (3*, you get 2 of them)
Edea Boss music hype

Wazzy

Banned
This is going to take a lot of restraint but I think I'm going to save my mythril until
Seifer event
is released. I want his weapon and the new gunblade for Squall which is supposed to be great.

At the very least with everything saved up I can land one even though I want one more than the other. The rest of VIII events I'll just do one paid pull and hope for the best.

Gotta show dat support for VIII somehow. xD

Wazzy, that's gonna be a loooooooooooooong wait. You have the patience of a saint.

I'm closing in on 200 Mythril now, and I'm seriously considering using it all to try for Quistis' weapon. I'm at least doing two 11 pulls for it, that's for sure.

Nohar

*plays on auto-battle while surfing on the net*

... huh. When did Wakka died?
Greaaaat. Now I need to do a perfect on the last stage if I don't want to miss mastery. Thanksfully it was the last level without bosses. (Unless Wakka being dead still counts as a medal down right off the bat when initiating a stage, in that case I'm screwed).

Swapping Tyro with Yuna is making me uncomfortable. I feel safer with Tyro being able to cast Sentinel Grimoire more than 2 times, even if I don't really need to cast it that much during a fight. Tyro can also be quite durable compared to squishy mages.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Does using a mythril to heal at camp also restore the number of ultimates you get from summoning a friend?

Also I feel like I'm just at a point in the game where I need to spend money to succeed. The normal stages are fine, but the elite stages seem made for people with 5 star armor.

This is the current party that I have:
g4z7ACql.png

I basically don't know how to beat the Tower of Light Elite to get the Yuna crystal.

Does using a mythril to heal at camp also restore the number of ultimates you get from summoning a friend?

Also I feel like I'm just at a point in the game where I need to spend money to succeed. The normal stages are fine, but the elite stages seem made for people with 5 star armor.

This is the current party that I have:
g4z7ACql.png

I basically don't know how to beat the Tower of Light Elite to get the Yuna crystal.

Low level does not mean you need to spend money... you are just underlevelled - play some more classic / elite stages, use growth eggs or wait till Sunday and the EXP Day. You do not have to finish the event TODAY it will be going on for quite some days more.

Don't waste any more stamina trying to bea the Tower of Light Elite - come back to it in 3 days after you level up some more (5-8 levels should be enough).

That equipment ain't helping, though. It's quite garbage (Wakka, Rydia). Can't you do a 50 Mythril pull? You are in dire need of better weapons.

Falk

that puzzling face
Ask yourself:
- Can you get better/more honed abilities than what you have right now?
- Are you at the level cap?

If either answer is 'no', then is 'no, you don't have to pay money. You have to grind a little more'. ;p Complain about the right thing.

(This game -is- a grindfest midway onwards)

Don't get me wrong, if you drop $10k on the game and get 5*++ of every weapon known to man your levels and abilities probably won't matter. That's not exactly the best way to play the game, though.

Yeah no shame in missing some events if you are LVL35. I missed a ton in the past (Sephiroth, Aeris, Cecil) and there will be re-issues in the future like with Cecil.

First rule:

- get your main party to LVL50

Second rule:

- get your main party to LVL65 if you cannot reach LVL65 then switch the character to someone who can

Main party is the party to beat all the "timed" stuff. They gotta be the strongest possible. You can have a second, lazy party for Classic/ Elite dungeons.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Low level does not mean you need to spend money... you are just underlevelled - play some more classic / elite stages, use growth eggs or wait till Sunday and the EXP Day. You do not have to finish the event TODAY it will be going on for quite some days more.

Don't waste any more stamina trying to bea the Tower of Light Elite - come back to it in 3 days after you level up some more (5-8 levels should be enough).

That equipment ain't helping, though. It's quite garbage (Wakka, Rydia). Can't you do a 50 Mythril pull? You are in dire need of better weapons.

Ask yourself:
- Can you get better/more honed abilities than what you have right now?
- Are you at the level cap?

If either answer is 'no', then is 'no, you don't have to pay money. You have to grind a little more'. ;p Complain about the right thing.

(This game -is- a grindfest midway onwards)

Don't get me wrong, if you drop $10k on the game and get 5*++ of every weapon known to man your levels and abilities probably won't matter. That's not exactly the best way to play the game, though.

I noticed that levels didn't seem to raise stats all that much, but I take it that it will actually make a difference?

I did a 11 draw already and got that 5* spear for Kain, but I wanted to save one for whenever Lightning comes around since she's the only character I really want.

As for honing abilities, I haven't been able to survive long enough for me to run out of uses. Except at the boss I guess, but that's because I'm wasting turns healing instead of DPSing.

I'll try grinding some levels and seeing what happens. I take it memory crystals for characters that you get from completing paintings are found in the elite versions of those maps?

Nohar

I noticed that levels didn't seem to raise stats all that much, but I take it that it will actually make a difference?

I did a 11 draw already and got that 5* spear for Kain, but I wanted to save one for whenever Lightning comes around since she's the only character I really want.

As for honing abilities, I haven't been able to survive long enough for me to run out of uses. Except at the boss I guess, but that's because I'm wasting turns healing instead of DPSing.

I'll try grinding some levels and seeing what happens. I take it memory crystals for characters that you get from completing paintings are found in the elite versions of those maps?

For leveling: stats do matter. You will definitly notice the difference once everyone is 50, simply for the fact that everyone will have much more HP (and for long and hard elite fights, you will want bulky characters).

For ability honing: focus on 2* abilities first. When your team is good enough to farm Heroic dungeons, you will want to focus on 3* abilities instead. In any case, some 2* abilities are very good and should be honed to R4 at least, such as Double Cut and Retaliate. Boost is also one of the only 1* ability which you should hone to R4/R5.

For 3* abilities, you will need the Break abilities, especially Power and Magic Break since those are essential to beat some bosses. You will want a R5 Curaga spell too, this one will be helpful for quite a while. Next, you will want to have one 3* Black Magic of each element honed to R3 or R4 (Firaga, Blizzaga, Thundaga, Waterga, eventually Bioga; special mention for Comet, which is non-elemental and very useful against monsters who don't have any weaknesses).

4* abilities may prove difficult to craft and hone. However, you should try to create Protectga (almost necessary for some fights, as damage mitigation becomes mandatory later on) and/or Quake (for farming purpose).

For Memory crystals: yes, those can only be unlocked in the Elite version of an event (with some exceptions: Core Characters's Memory Crystals can be unlocked via regular and Elite paintings, not events).

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Thanks for the advice on abilities.

So is it easier to get Memory Crystals for characters that drop in Events, or for the characters who only exist in the paintings? I've only been using the first five named characters that you get because it just seemed easier than starting over from level 1 with the other characters. I'm going to assume that Cloud and Kain and the rest aren't too bad compared to the Event characters anyway...

Falk

that puzzling face
Some of the memory crystals in paintings are from absurdly difficult Elites. (some are from lv90++ dungeon rank Elites, like Cloud's and Cyan's)

In contrast, all memory crystals from events thus far have been at the halfway Elite mark, or less (~lv60 dungeon rank or less). Many are within arms reach if you can beat the final boss on Classic and get the event character.

To answer your question, there have been some balance changes, but at the start of the global service Rydia and Cloud were party staples (Rydia's only other alternatives at that point was Black Mage (lol) and Tyro (lol lol)). When Aeris event came about, she replaced White Mage (or Paladin Cecil) as primary healer, but with the plethora of white mage events this past month that's probably not a valid comparison anymore. Vanille, Garnet, Yuna all make excellent white mages if you've gotten any of them.

I think a good piece of medium term advice is, when the XP daily comes about, see if you can do the first stage of the Hard daily. If you can, that's the first gateway to being able to level your dudes to 50, and/or level alternatives. The idea is you don't need to do the entire 3 dungeons or go for mastery. If you can survive one wave by blowing all abilities, you should be able to Friend Summon AOE your way past the next two, and get a shit ton of XP. Then you quit/repeat. Savescumming (closing the app and restarting) if you get bad ATB rolls and the enemies kill any of your guys first also helps.

edit: last note; There's a very tangible difference for as little as 10 character levels. Not only do you have more HP (~300-600 more depending on the character), you get hit for less because your DEF/RES stat is more robust. (In fact 10 levels is the equivalent of what characters get when fighting in their home realm (Record Synergy bonus) and is something to watch out for even at current endgame lv50-65 characters when considering lineups) Meaning yes, there's a very tangible difference from your current ~lv38 and lv50.

Thanks for the advice on abilities.

So is it easier to get Memory Crystals for characters that drop in Events, or for the characters who only exist in the paintings? I've only been using the first five named characters that you get because it just seemed easier than starting over from level 1 with the other characters. I'm going to assume that Cloud and Kain and the rest aren't too bad compared to the Event characters anyway...

Yes if only for the fact that the battles to get them are easier

And you do want to switch characters around every so often; when you hit the level cap the characters will still suck away experience, and there are some target scores that require certain characters to not be KO'd

MicH

I had a surprisingly tough time against Seymour - even with Protectga (thanks Golden Armlet!) he did so much damage to me! I had to heal pretty much every turn and I just barely killed him before someone got KOed. Yikes! If I hadn't brought Runic Blade I would've run out of Curagas. I'm thinking Kirin + Carbuncle + Healing Grimoire is the better strategy

Roto13

No point in trying to fight Seymour if I can't even clear the first floor at more than expert. That's with my two mages not acting at all except to heal when necessary.

Falk

that puzzling face
Huh, TIdus just got the ability to use thrown weapons on the JP version. They should just reclassify balls as thrown weapons at this point, makes no sense to have them be their own weapon type.

This needs to happen just so I can make Hope throw blitzballs

edit@above: But if you get to Seymour you can basically just infinite summon spam with Runic. Summons are doubly awesome because it gets his machine friend to sap HP from him. As long as you have like 3 charges on your other DPS abilities (esp Mental Breakdown/Break) you should be fine I think. Free 9 stars from his conditions too. In fact Haste is a good ability to have for this, just so you can get more summon casts off in the duration of Runic (that's how many charges you get). In fact you might as well go the full 9 yards and use up your initial summon charges for trash.

I found it easier than undead snake guy. Cheese tactic stronk.

Razmos

Selphie's record materia sounds fun, though I doubt it would ever be that useful. A good thing to put on a secondary mage perhaps?

Was also surprised to see that she can use Whips, meaning her and Quistis have basically the same equips.

Just Mastered the Seymour fight. I went in having every attention of bringing Carbuncle but I forgot to equip it. My party was Cloud, Tidus, Wakka, Yuna and Paladin Cecil and I brought the Sentinel Grimiore. Cloud had the minotaur plate and shelled the party which combined with the Sentinel made the magic pitiful. Diara was the champ in this fight though. I brought Cecil to use his Radiant Wings Soul Break but 5 of the 6 hits were on Mortibody. He could have been easily replaced in this fight. Well now to keep going on those Elites.

Falk

that puzzling face
Hitting Mortibody effectively is hitting Seymour, although there's some efficiency loss from overkill.

This is why summons/aoe are cool in this fight.

edit: roflrofl my new setup is 2 white mages, except the 2nd white mage is actually DPS with Diara and a Protectga rocking Concentration 2.

MORE RECHARGE POWA GOOOO.

Also means Judgement Staff is actually a DPS item now. Healer can have a shitty 4* staff.

Seymour fight is a joke. That and leading up to the battle with having 4 rounds a piece.

Brought Carbuncle, Protectga, Sentinel Grimoire, all level 65 characters except Yuna who is just past 50 and some weapon synergy (+ 3 FFX guys) and I still couldn't get anywhere near Master. In fact, didn't Master any stage up till the boss. Had 2 guys die on the boss but wasn't bothering to restart after the failure of the previous stages. Had armour/power break and Magic Breakdown, Diara.

Not really sure what I could have done much better in this fight other than to use everything on the trash mob and be left with very little for Seymour (or mythril him which isn't exactly great).

Falk

that puzzling face
Read up a few posts.

- Use Runic on someone with 2 summon abilities.

- Spam summon

- Since you don't exactly need to save the summons for the boss fight you might as well use them on trash to help with stars

- Might as well bring Haste to get more Summon casts out of Runic duration

tl;dr Dr.Mog is a quack, because he tells you to use Carbuncle when it does jack shit vs Morti's AOE, and doesn't advise you to instead cheese the fight with Runic. And it's not like he doesn't suggest friend summons either - he's suggested a healer RW to deal with AOE elsewhere.

Xetherion

edit: roflrofl my new setup is 2 white mages, except the 2nd white mage is actually DPS with Diara and a Protectga rocking Concentration 2.

MORE RECHARGE POWA GOOOO.

Also means Judgement Staff is actually a DPS item now. Healer can have a shitty 4* staff.

I was considering doing this, good to know it works well.

Hitting Mortibody effectively is hitting Seymour, although there's some efficiency loss from overkill.

This is why summons/aoe are cool in this fight.

The bigger concern for not hitting Seymour was that my Wakka had just used Status Break on him. In the end it didn't really matter though.

For dealing with the mobs before I used a combination of Cloud and Tidus to do most of the damage. My Cloud used fira strike which dealt 6000 damage to the machina. Tidus with Soldier Strike and a 5* ffx sword dealt almost 5000 with double cut. He leveled up after the first fight so I got some of the uses back. The mobs for the most part went down pretty easily.

Falk

that puzzling face
I just burned abilities like candy on the trash.

Had like 4 each left by the time I got to Seymour and 0 summons (used 2 phoenix and 1 valefor on trash) but it didn't matter because Runic.

Here's what I did for Seymour and the trash- r2 quake burn ohks the mobs, use liberally. Use retaliate with double cuts on the rest of the trash you can't get to with quake. S/l to get quake to fire before the trash. Boss-sentinel grimoire reduced the damage on me to minuscule amounts so I fired Diara I think five times alongside r3 firaja, attackers used breaks and retaliate. I had pretty basic gear offense wise other than a 5++ j staff perhaps the mnd of that enhanced Diara more than I give it credit for. I did have a 4+ katana but that has the same attack as the fencing sword, so only was a benefit on break strikes.

Also, I just read that you can start and exit battles using the rm2s to recharge abilities at the expense of stam. Haven't tried that, but if that does work then you can basically refill your non summons magic for stam.

Read up a few posts.

- Use Runic on someone with 2 summon abilities.

- Spam summon

- Since you don't exactly need to save the summons for the boss fight you might as well use them on trash to help with stars

- Might as well bring Haste to get more Summon casts out of Runic duration

tl;dr Dr.Mog is a quack, because he tells you to use Carbuncle when it does jack shit vs Morti's AOE, and doesn't advise you to instead cheese the fight with Runic. And it's not like he doesn't suggest friend summons either - he's suggested a healer RW to deal with AOE elsewhere.

Thanks I'll give it a shot.

Balphon

I didn't think the trash was so bad as far as level 99 dungeons go. It doesn't hit that hard and goes down to 2 strong attacks. I think the machina are weak to fire too.

MicH

Yikes, I'm broke. I have exactly 38 gil. Thank god the gil dungeon is tomorrow (even though I won't be able to run it the first 8 hours). All this upgrading and combining equipment is crazy expensive!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom