• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy: Record Keeper |OT| The only ATB here is Active Time Battle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nohar

Well, I got a lot of Wind Orbs, a few Thunder Orbs (I really feel like the drop rate favors Wind Orbs), 3 Greater Lightning and 3 Greater Wind. I think I'm happy. When are the 4* orbs dungeons coming out?

Negator

Finished up the last FF8 battle (for now)

Going back to clear the EX and EX+ FF10 dungeons. Everyone is level 65ish so it shouldn't be too bad (?)

Something about having Quistis and Vivi electrocuting mass mobs and bosses gives me a huge rush! Enjoyed the hell out of this event.

And the Double Cut materia is amazing. It actually switches to the next enemy if the first hit is a OHKO.

Nohar

The next JP Event comes with a few interesting balance changes (source: skuldnoshinpu on reddit).

BALANCE CHANGES
Kain HP, ATK up
Kain can equip Swords
Kain can equip Celerity 3
Rydia MAG up
Rydia can equip Black Magic 5
DK Cecil ATK up
Paladin Cecil can equip bows
Paladin Cecil can equip White Magic 4, Support 3
FuSoYa MAG and MND up
Record Materia and special scores that affect/require "Jump" will also affect other Jump abilties (for instance, Wind Jump)

Falk

that puzzling face
I said 90%.

I don't think I have a single 4* that isn't in use in one realm synergy or another D: 90% is a bold percentage.

Heck even the 4* rod they gave as a quest reward that has a core Soul Break on it is my 3rd highest MAG item.

I haven't even combined the two Irvine hats because they're individually useful.

(...)

LMAO

Although it seems like they're gearing up for FFIV endgame. Should be interesting! (VI was further ahead)

All those SB weapons are nice. Definitely outside-the-box with special effects now.

I don't think I have a single 4* that isn't in use in one realm synergy or another D: 90% is a bold percentage.

Heck even the 4* rod they gave as a quest reward that has a core Soul Break on it is my 3rd highest MAG item.

I haven't even combined the two Irvine hats because they're individually useful.

(...)

LMAO

Although it seems like they're gearing up for FFIV endgame. Should be interesting! (VI was further ahead)

All those SB weapons are nice. Definitely outside-the-box with special effects now.

Haven't felt the pain of pulling that fourth 4* fist, have you?

Falk

that puzzling face
Haven't felt the pain of pulling that fourth 4* fist, have you?

Dats 25%!

Unless you mean 4 different 4* fists, which is fine by me because Tifa post-buff makes an awesome debuff bot (Breaks or Leg Shot etc)

With a 4* RS fist she's still going to as hard as some schmuck with a non-RS 5* sword.

edit: No fist user with Memory Crystal yet though :(

(Don't say Tyro I will cut you)

Road

I guess the announcement means they fixed Vit0. RIP in peace.

I only used it on the Locke event (Red Dragon), right when it was discovered. It was fun.

When's the difficulty spike in the Elites for this event? Elvoret or Dollet Streets?

Elvoret was easy (I even forgot to bring Curaga for the fight...). I also found Dollet Streets still kinda easy despite thinking it would be hard, but for this one I stopped, prepared and fully loaded on lightning elemental, and you get ethers every fight, too, which helps. I'm about to fight the last elite, so I'm thinking that's where the difficulty gets really hard.

But it all depends on how you are. For instance, this was my Dollet Streets setup: https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/UxcCLsxzxF6fjxolF-gmRsWG-AnevN_GortWeoYajofP=w480-h853-no

The equipment update on Kain and PCecil seems desperate "please use me". Nope. Rydia on the other hand, didn't even need 5* black magic, only 4* was enough (I mean, who uses Flare?), and since she also has 5* summon, she's now an offensive powerhouse.

Boss Rush?

I can use scrubs throughout? :eek:

Elvoret was easy (I even forgot to bring Curaga for the fight...). I also found Dollet Streets still kinda easy despite thinking it would be hard, but for this one I stopped, prepared and fully loaded on lightning elemental, and you get ethers every fight, too, which helps. I'm about to fight the last elite, so I'm thinking that's where the difficulty gets really hard.

But it all depends on how you are. For instance, this was my Dollet Streets setup: https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/UxcCLsxzxF6fjxolF-gmRsWG-AnevN_GortWeoYajofP=w480-h853-no

I meant when do I have to put a real team in; should've made it clearer. I've been rolling with a Lv 53 Squall, Lv 47 Rinoa, and then mid Lv.20s Quistis, Selphie, and WoL so far.

LucaMac

Rydia level 5 black magic? Hell yea. Have the Ice Whip as my only character weapon and that was the only thing keeping Vivi and now Quistis with her the Ice Whip ahead of her...she's going to be a beast now. Maybe too much choice once summoners materia drops though as that was my plan for her before this.

Hi by the way...Ive been here since launch and the Gaf only accepted my registration today. Seriously long wait.

Look like the Vit0 exploit has been patched.

No loss to me. I only ever used it once to try out the mechanics and decided it was too much hassle.

Vit99 still rules.

SunGod

There's a thread on reddit where one person is saying the ATK stat softcap has been raised (and therefore the long-heralded mage meta may not be a necessity)

Falk

that puzzling face
When's the difficulty spike in the Elites for this event? Elvoret or Dollet Streets?

X-ATM is sorta like a mini-boss rush but with Rinoa summon and some honed Thundagas it's really not bad at all. If you can last 3 rounds (magic breakdown and power break makes HP not really an issue with a party of RS 50s) to spam Rinoa on the 4th, it's plenty doable.

Trash right before and after (the last stage) starts taking 2 hits of 2k though. As in, my guys are hitting for roughly that and it takes 2 hits to kill them, so HP is between 2-4k. On the bright side, they're two mobs, and not a giant annoying robot like Yuna's event, so they can be AOE'd.

p.s. holy shit Diara on WHM2 RM owns.

There's a thread on reddit where one person is saying the ATK stat softcap has been raised (and therefore the long-heralded mage meta may not be a necessity)

Anecdotally, Thundara Strike was hitting for 9k on X-ATM with a 5* RS weapon (atk goes way past 350 with Boost up) so that might be true. If so, mage meta STILL does more damage but wasn't nearly as far ahead in JP post ATK scaling change. It's still a worthy goal to go after, but not do-or-die like it was for about 2-3 months in JP. I'd be very glad if we're skipping that phase completely. (see: above post about painting reward 4* rod being my 3rd highest MAG wepaon lol)

SunGod

Anecdotally, Thundara Strike was hitting for 9k on X-ATM but that's with a 5* RS weapon so that might be true. Mage meta STILL does more damage but wasn't nearly as far ahead in JP past ATK scaling change. It's still a worthy goal to go after, but not do-or-die like it was for about 2-3 months in JP. I'm glad we're skipping that phase completely.

Completely agreed, it's nice that there will (possibly, if this turns out to be true) be different ways to tackle future content
and because my 7* Zanteksuken and all those double cuts I honed to r5 will still be useful

Road

I can use scrubs throughout? :eek:

I meant when do I have to put a real team in; should've made it clearer. I've been rolling with a Lv 53 Squall, Lv 47 Rinoa, and then mid Lv.20s Quistis, Selphie, and WoL so far.

Well, those Squall and Rinoa are hardly scrubs. =P I think it's advisable to have either black mage RM2 or Retaliate for the last elite trash mobs, though.

Hmm, indeed it has. The first update Japan received where the softcap increased from 347 to 472, this is what we just got. That was obviously not enough and Japan got a second update that raised it to 589, this is when I started to see physical attacks again in Japanese videos (example, the latest FFX event, boss spoilers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgn4gQkxSd0)

I already liked using Luneth Advance RW, now, even more.

Dats 25%!

Unless you mean 4 different 4* fists, which is fine by me because Tifa post-buff makes an awesome debuff bot (Breaks or Leg Shot etc)

With a 4* RS fist she's still going to as hard as some schmuck with a non-RS 5* sword.

edit: No fist user with Memory Crystal yet though :(

(Don't say Tyro I will cut you)

I've pulled four of the vii fist. I think I used the fourth to upgrade a lowly three star item out of spite. Theoretically you could run tifa and snow or Josef in vii realms, if you are a glutton for punishment.
Also, Josef has a memory crystal.

Nohar

Well, now that Vit0 is patched and that the ATT soft cap is raised I guess I should try the FFX's EX+ event once more. I'm just not fond of S/L the Guados for Break to stick (I think I'll just use Death on one and focus the other one).

SunGod

Hmm, indeed it has. The first update Japan received where the softcap increased from 347 to 472, this is what we just got. That was obviously not enough and Japan got a second update that raised it to 589, this is when I started to see physical attacks again in Japanese videos (example, the latest FFX event, boss spoilers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgn4gQkxSd0)

I already liked using Luneth Advance RW, now, even more.

Aha I see, how were you able to confirm it?

Well, now that Vit0 is patched and that the ATT soft cap is raised I guess I should try the FFX's EX+ event once more. I'm just not fond of S/L the Guados for Break to stick (I think I'll just use Death on one and focus the other one).

What I did was use tyro with both break and death and have him equip the double hit rm with the retaliate strategy. Far less annoying to get break to work once and then death than try to land break twice and it meant that I didn't have to hone break or death. And with the double hit materia, he effectively had three abilities to use. Just some food for thought, if you even have the Josef rm2, you might consider it.

Nohar

What I did was use tyro with both break and death and have him equip the double hit rm with the retaliate strategy. Far less annoying to get break to work once and then death than try to land break twice and it meant that I didn't have to hone break or death. And with the double hit materia, he effectively had three abilities to use. Just some food for thought, if you even have the Josef rm2, you might consider it.

On that subject: how much an increase in damages does Josef's second materia really brings? I know it is 2 hits at 65% power, but does that mean that it is a +30% increase in damages? Since I know that, for example, Boost increases Attack by 24%, which is in fact a +47% increase in base damage (source).

On that subject: how much an increase in damages does Josef's second materia really brings? I know it is 2 hits at 65% power, but does that mean that it is a +30% increase in damages? Since I know that, for example, Boost increases Attack by 24%, which is in fact a +47% increase in base damage (source).

haven't checked or tested it, but my impression is that it is the equivalent of the ability. I could be wrong there of course. I use it as a replacement for the ability and then the attack augmentation materias on my other two attackers.

Nohar

haven't checked or tested it, but my impression is that it is the equivalent of the ability. I could be wrong there of course. I use it as a replacement for the ability and then the attack augmentation materias on my other two attackers.

If my data is correct, legit Double Cut does more damage (it is a x1.8 damage multiplier). I don't think Josef's second materia deals as much damage.

If my data is correct, legit Double Cut does more damage (it is a x1.8 damage multiplier). I don't think Josef's second materia deals as much damage.

Oooh I see you're right, at least according to kongbakpao. I probably didn't notice the difference because I was just using it to trigger two retaliation attacks.

Falk

that puzzling face
Josef's 2nd record materia can't be anywhere near a Double Cut's multiplier. That just wouldn't make sense, especially considering stuff like Gore-Stained Blade and Composure barely add damage to Attack while having drawbacks.

Of course, when we're talking about RMs in general their efficiency is all over the map, from the ridiculous game-breaking shit like summoner RM2 to... Slots (lmao) but the ones that modify Attack seem to be consistently in the ~15-30% range.

Blitz-Eye for example makes Attack not miss, do more damage, and charge slightly faster without any drawback, but is slightly less of a boost than e.g. Gore-Stained Blade.

In any case, this page's discussion is with regards to Josef's RM2 in conjunction with retaliate meta.

Josef's 2nd record materia can't be anywhere near a Double Cut's multiplier. That just wouldn't make sense, especially considering stuff like Gore-Stained Blade and Composure barely add damage to Attack while having drawbacks.

Of course, when we're talking about RMs in general their efficiency is all over the map, from the ridiculous game-breaking shit like summoner RM2 to... Slots (lmao) but the ones that modify Attack seem to be consistently in the ~15-30% range.

Blitz-Eye for example makes Attack not miss, do more damage, and charge slightly faster without any drawback, but is slightly less of a boost than e.g. Gore-Stained Blade.

In any case, this page's discussion is with regards to Josef's RM2 in conjunction with retaliate meta.

!!!

I have Blitz-Eye. Where does it mention higher damage and faster charge rate?

Falk

that puzzling face
It's about 10% more damage, and you can test faster charge yourself by waiting for your entire party's ATB bar to be full then hitting auto battle. It's not SIGNIFICANTLY faster, but due to how ATB interacts with loot dropping animation (it continues charging yellow bar to full but no one can take action) it means that more often than not you'll get your attack off before the enemy when autobattling through trash stages, since they both start charging at the same instant when the loot dropping animation completes.

Saerk

With Vit 0 dead I'm going to have to go spell heavy. Boss rush should be interesting, but I beat the last one without it. Just wish I'd pulled some more 5* weapons. Only really set for FFVI in that regard. I took 3 mages to beat Dollet Elite. Thankfully I got my first 5 star mage weapon. The Selphie Stick. Gives a nice 2k cure all as the sould break, but with all the extra stats I'm actually able to see the viability of skills like Diara. Hitting for 5k+ with no elemental weakness is pretty nice.

How odd. The Japanese version of the game doesn't have Character Profiles. And it uses the original graphics for FF1-5 as backgrounds in the dungeons, instead of the remake graphics for global.

Falk

that puzzling face
The remake graphics kinda make sense for English. We never got NES FFIII, only the DS remake in 2006. I guess they wanted it to look familiar to English speaking people, and then the other early Final Fantasies looked out of place, so whatever remake versions were used.

Just be thankful that DeNA is at least smart enough to not touch FF6 iOS's sprites with a 10ft pole. :U

(Considering the enemy and BG pixel art in FFRK, regardless of how much is reused from All the Bravest, someone over there in the graphics dept knows their shit, at least)

Now that you mention it though, the lack of character profiles is bizarre. For example, when Vivi came early alongside the Garnet event instead of the next dungeon update (due to reshuffling putting Garnet event before the dungeons), Vivi's profile hadn't showed up yet, and I'd chalked it down to that discrepancy because they shuffled the order around vs JP.

LucaMac

Whats the best thing to be farming right now in your opinion if you have everything finished? Just have to master the Yuna Ex+ (silly oblivion gave me an expert) and I'm back to square one again. My hones arent two bad and I've all my -aja's to h2 and the agas are at h4 but not getting the use compared to the -ajas.

Grinding for greater orbs is soul destroying. Apart from black orb day the dailies are driving me mental. Is there anything worth farming in the two current events? Was doing summon orbs before Cecils finished. If not I might go record materia hunting.

Falk

that puzzling face
Honestly speaking? Greater Holy Orbs because Ruinga, Curaja, etc.

Which is hilarious because it's the one that blows the most to farm.

It may be wise to also beef up on 3* abilities. They should all be r3 minimum*, even the dupes for things like elemental spells, (*or whatever brings it up to 6 charges, which lets Ether restore 2 charges instead of 1). Lightning orbs in particular seem in short supply since Intimidate/Power Break/Thundaga/Thundara Strike all use it.

LucaMac

Cheers. I may focus on the lightnings actually. Normal and greater for the breaks. Magic breakdown I got to R3 no bother but I think I need greater lightning for power breakdown. Honing the breaks while possibly getting some greaters seems like a plan. On lightning day at least. Thank you.

Did blizzaja get skipped completely by the looks of it? I haven't made it just in case it came with an event, which I definitely expected by now seeing as thats how we got the others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom