• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy: Record Keeper |OT| The only ATB here is Active Time Battle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
For Spherimorph, just attack him with a physical attack once (he counters nearly everything you do to him with magic, first attack should be Magic Break) so he gives up his element, then nuke him with the opposite element. Then attack him physically once again after it shifts. Rinse and repeat. If you time it right, it never has time to use Press on you.

3MMehUfl.jpg

Hopefully that strategy will apply to Elite as well.

Xetherion

But I mastered it. W/o the White Mage. That's the point.

The point he was trying to tell you is that you have to bring White Mage to that fight to unlock her second Record Materia, which is one of the best in the game. You're going to have spend the stamina to do it again in order to get that RM since you didn't bring her the first time.

Ok, finished the IV boss rush. Worst was rubicante, easiest was barbarricia. I think I lost five medals total, 1,3,1,0 respectively. Retaliate retaliate retaliate. I used a lunatic high rw this time, used on rubicante and barbarricia. Rubicante I had to save load a ton until I got one where he only used his aoe once or twice. I used lunatic high and then blizzaga and water strike in quick succession before the cape closed. Was lucky with timing and only healed him once. Milon was easy, I used two curajas on offense and then retaliate. Caignazzo took forever, was on his shell way too much and I ran out of blizzagas, but he wasn't to much of a threat. Barbarricia became a tornado twice, so wasn't too bad, that one was over far faster than the others even though you can't hit her with spells.

If you can master this dungeon without using retaliate, you are a far superior tactician than I. Counters counters counters.

Vorpal

Finally got my FVIII crew level-broken and built up a bit. Thinking I'll clear the boss rush and then really focus on farming orbs.

What have people been honing lately? I figure working on the -agas and -ajas take priority.

I also have Armor, Mental, and Power Breakdown. I want to craft Magic Breakdown and then get all of those up to at least R2. Do breakdowns last longer than breaks or do they only lower stats more drastically?

Balphon

Finally got my FVIII crew level-broken and built up a bit. Thinking I'll clear the boss rush and then really focus on farming orbs.

What have people been honing lately? I figure working on the -agas and -ajas take priority.

I also have Armor, Mental, and Power Breakdown. I want to craft Magic Breakdown and then get all of those up to at least R2. Do breakdowns last longer than breaks or do they only lower stats more drastically?

Same duration, stronger effect. Also worth keeping in mind that that we'll eventually have access to Steal Armor and Steal Power, which are comparable to better versions of those breakdowns.

elty

5* mage weapon with synergy is just so OP. My Rinoa, despite being just lv50 is hitting everything at 9999 with 3* magic (weakness), or 5000+ without weakness.

Falk

that puzzling face
A week ago it'd have been agas and ajas without a doubt. Since we got the ATK soft cap change early though, we're completely skipping the 2-3 month period in JP where mage meta completely destroyed physical DPS.

It still edges out a little, but I think at this point what gear you have plays a much bigger factor too. e.g. if you have a bunch of 5* swords for a bunch of RS, honing spellstrikes may be a better idea.

Feeling gooooood.
Masterd that bastard Seifer. No mythril used and i actually handicapped myself by thinking I had selected Rinoa RM only to realise I had no RM at all during the Ifrit battle. Stupid laggy menu...grr.

No going back for me! Onward and upward!

I did not-game things this weekend so I'm in the phase where I don't want to play the game right now, lol

Still need to catch up on dungeons somehow.

Vorpal

VORPAL'S OBVIOUS PRO TIP FOR THE DAY

Fighting Edea without Magic Breakdown or Shellga (or Reflect) is hard. Try bringing something more than 6 uses of Magic Break.

A week ago it'd have been agas and ajas without a doubt. Since we got the ATK soft cap change early though, we're completely skipping the 2-3 month period in JP where mage meta completely destroyed physical DPS.

It still edges out a little, but I think at this point what gear you have plays a much bigger factor too. e.g. if you have a bunch of 5* swords for a bunch of RS, honing spellstrikes may be a better idea.

Awesome. Gacha pulls have definitely favored melee for me, and I like fighters over casters in general, so I'll put a little more emphasis on spellstrikes when farming. Especially now that Squall is edging 65! And I'll take any reason to use Celes. Would be cool to see her memory crystal soon.

Steal Armor and Steal Power

These abilities sound excellent

I need an Advance RW buddy... Can't do enough damage to stupid ass Anima in Elite. Anyone here have it up? I'll follow you if you aren't already full. lol

Road

All these problems people are having with the new dungeons are classic or elites? You're all scaring me.

Even removing the atk cap completely would not be enough to make magic not easily the best offense. There just aren't physical abilities that have equivalent multipliers to -ja spells and summons. The solution is (barring changing the formulas completely) to either create stronger physical abilities or disproportionately increase the res of enemies to make things even. I know this last one they actually did for FFV Omega that has 695 def and 1561 res (dunno about other bosses), but even in that case with 400 atk you need a 2.5x physical ability to match the damage of a 400 mag -ja spell.

If you have only 5* swords and no 5* rods, the first thing you should do is try to get them rods, and, yeah, hone your poor physical abilities while they don't appear. =P

Behold my ghetto mage meta, tremble at my powerful rods: https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/Ky0DYA_qmrCBENFW-w4_9XH3u5NnBl2dvSt4X8SyNLOm=w471-h837-no

forgrim

holy moly, i just did elite sinspawn gui (the first new elite in FFX), and my first attempt, I couldn't nuke down the head with 3 8 ability ranged mage skills and 4 quakes.

so i had to s/l and kill the wings, then focus retal on the body, and quaking when the head shook. then the wings regenerated, but i continued to focus the body with all the magic i had saved (since they do full damage even with the wings up), and eventually got it down.

long battle, and not the most optimal team, but jeesh was that tough.

Falk

that puzzling face
Even removing the atk cap completely would not be enough to make magic not easily the best offense.

I don't disagree, but in practicality when you're hitting for 9999, that's a completely different hard cap, which is pretty much what you're going to be hitting for with spellstrikes (hence why I said spellstrikes and not e.g. breaks) .

As bosses scale higher and higher and lv80 characters get unlocked, magic pulls away again (since even with weaknesses spellstrikes start to dip below 9999 but Ja spells are solidly there), but JP did get another soft cap/ATK curve change. Magic is still better though (rofl)

But in any case, when we're speaking of relative terms, the 2-3 months where physical abilities really didn't do jack shit except debuff in JP were a very real thing, and one that we're skipping.

Sure, there's still bosses with no elemental weakness where the 9999 cap (likely) won't come into play, but physical is far more viable for us this stretch than it was for JP.

p.s. I agree with you that physical abilities are generally very lackluster in scaling across * ranks. Breakdowns barely hitting for more than Breaks (and the debuff %, while more, was nerfed) and the largest offender, Pound. Good God who would sink 4* orbs into that. Couldn't really justify other than as some anti-Blind niche use, but even then there's better abilities to hone.

On the topic of mage meta, I've been thinking of running this team as a long term main team for my mages:
Vivi (5* Black Magic)
Rinoa (5* BM / 3* Support) / Rydia (5* Summons / 3* BM)
Terra (5* BM / 4* Support) / Quistis (4* BM / 4* Support)
Yuna / Eiko (5* WM / 5* Summons)
Selphie (5* White Mage, 3* Celerity)

Does that look like a solid team basis (obviously I'd tweak it when others provide useful RS)?

For mage relics, I currently have Vivi, Rinoa and Aerith's. Thus, I only need to 2 more good pulls if I want them fully decked out in 5*s.
I couldn't get either weapon from the current banner, V_V

Players have found an interesting bug on the Extractor fight (in FFX Moonflow). When it moves out of range you can still hit it with melee by double attacking someone under retaliate. First attack misses but second one will hit. It is an AI bug. It won't work on bosses that start the fight at long range.

LucaMac

I am glad Tiamat is not immune to break because that entire dungeon is rough as hell.
Yea. It was the only thing that got me past Kraken...knowing that I just had to save one cast of one ability for later and blow everything at him. It was very much needed. Kraken on elite is hard as nails.

Nohar

I hope the 4 characters' relics banners that we'll get will be good (they did slightly change the ones we got before compared to their JP counterparts)... I can't wait for those to be available already, but I'm really interested by the 6 characters ones.

Also:
  • There will be roughly 30 events between now and the 6 characters' relics banners (maybe less; some banners seem to be reissues of old weapons, like n°47 and n°49). Assuming we get 10 Mythrils per event, that's more or less 300 Mythrils granted by events alone.
  • We get 1 new event every six days (let's say every week). We'll have to wait roughly 30 weeks after the 4 characters' celebration, ie. 210 days, ie 7 months (gosh, didn't realize how far they were until now). We get 1 free Mythril every 5 days. So we'll get roughly 42 from the weekly bonuses. We'll probably get even more if an event such as the Golden Saucer one pops up again.
  • To that, we can add Mythrils from dungeons, but I am unable to guess exactly how many we will get. Let's be generous and say we get 100 more.
  • We also have the generous gifts from DeNa, notably the one currently taking place. When will they stop giving free Mythril? Depending on how they treat us, we can expect 30 to 150 more mythril.
  • If DeNa screws up something and apologizes, we can probably expect between 1 to 5 more free Mythrils.
So, best case scenario, we're gonna win roughly 600 Mythrils between now and the 6 characters' relics banners. But I'm afraid I'm a little optimistic here.

Pejo

I hope the 4 characters' relics banners that we'll get will be good (they did slightly change the ones we got before compared to their JP counterparts)... I can't wait for those to be available already, but I'm really interested by the 6 characters ones.

Also:
  • There will be roughly 30 events between now and the 6 characters' relics banners (maybe less; some banners seem to be reissues of old weapons, like n°47 and n°49). Assuming we get 10 Mythrils per event, that's more or less 300 Mythrils granted by events alone.
  • We get 1 new event every six days (let's say every week). We'll have to wait roughly 30 weeks after the 4 characters' celebration, ie. 210 days, ie 7 months (gosh, didn't realize how far they were until now). We get 1 free Mythril every 5 days. So we'll get roughly 42 from the weekly bonuses. We'll probably get even more if an event such as the Golden Saucer one pops up again.
  • To that, we can add Mythrils from dungeons, but I am unable to guess exactly how many we will get. Let's be generous and say we get 100 more.
  • We also have the generous gifts from DeNa, notably the one currently taking place. When will they stop giving free Mythril? Depending on how they treat us, we can expect 30 to 150 more mythril.
  • If DeNa screws up something and apologizes, we can probably expect between 1 to 5 more free Mythrils.
So, best case scenario, we're gonna win roughly 600 Mythrils between now and the 6 characters' relics banners. But I'm afraid I'm a little optimistic here.

Interesting stuff. I hadn't heard of 6 character banners until now. Looks like I'm in full-on Mythril horde mode.

Man, I started the elite maralith fight on a roll, breezing through the chaos shrine. Then I start the battle. And I realize. That I packed both power break and power breakdown instead of a magic break/down. She nuked me from orbit. Facing the loss of over 3.5 hrs of stam building, beginning to sweat. Save load x a ton until I got a round where she didn't use the aoe at all... The ff1 bosses just do not have the hit points that the other realm bosses have, I guess do to dena giving virtually no rs relics.

Vamphuntr

This game is a bit bizarre. Is there a way to grind? I started playing last week and did the Yuna and Selphie event on normal. The game was fairly easy until I started unlocking the XIII and VIII levels. Enemies spam status effects and I never have any orbs for esuna :/

I have two 5* weapons, the one for Wakka and the Blitzsword. I was using Record Keeper, Yuna, Rydia, Cloud and Wakka but I don't think it's working well anymore.

Shahadan

This game is a bit bizarre. Is there a way to grind? I started playing last week and did the Yuna and Selphie event on normal. The game was fairly easy until I started unlocking the XIII and VIII levels. Enemies spam status effects and I never have any orbs for esuna :/

I have two 5* weapons, the one for Wakka and the Blitzsword. I was using Record Keeper, Yuna, Rydia, Cloud and Wakka but I don't think it's working well anymore.

I never bother curing status effects but if you really want esuna you could get the orbs from the various daily dungeons.
Or just close the game and start it again when an annoying status is inflicted. You come back at the start of the wave you were on.

Also you're unlocking XIII and VIII already? They were from a later update, maybe do some previous elite dungeons instead if you're having trouble. Pay attention to the difficulty level before entering.

As for grinding in the purest sense of the word, sunday daily dungeon is made for that.

Road

I have 100 mythril ready in anticipation.

I have 0. Terrible banner and I don't care for either Edgar or Sabin. Would trade everything for Terra's memory crystal.

Left the Behemoth King elite as the last old dungeon and while I was ready to cast Death on it, Cloud steals Quistis' thunder and kills him with Zantetsuken. I was confused for a second.

Today I got PCecil's and Ranger's 2nd record materia on the second daily battle, and I just got Summoner's on the second FFI battle. On the other hand, nothing for Josef's after 10 battles. I feel this one is going to haunt me for days.

And a last thought, next week would be a good time to introduce the EX dailies. Everyone who's up to date on finishing content will probably be done with new dungeons and the new event by Saturday.

What are the damage mitigation strategies for that Edea Elite? Is it just Magic Break/Down? Does Sentinels Grimiore get taken off by dispel? I beat her with Novice bringing a Rinoa friend summon along. Damage Mitigation was my biggest problem. My healer Selphie went down and I decided to ride it out and try a different strategy but I ended up pulling thought with Squall at a slivers health and Cloud at mid health.

With Mental Breakdown on, the Rinoa friend summon hit for 4.5k 3 times per attack for 2 attacks. I wonder how an Irvine wold do with Armor Breakdown applied.

Narag

What are the damage mitigation strategies for that Edea Elite? Is it just Magic Break/Down? Does Sentinels Grimiore get taken off by dispel? I beat her with Novice bringing a Rinoa friend summon along. Damage Mitigation was my biggest problem. My healer Selphie went down and I decided to ride it out and try a different strategy but I ended up pulling thought with Squall at a slivers health and Cloud at mid health.

With Mental Breakdown on, the Rinoa friend summon hit for 4.5k 3 times per attack for 2 attacks. I wonder how an Irvine wold do with Armor Breakdown applied.

I just alternated magic & armor breakdown on her then went to town with boost+retaliate+advance then people doublecutting the retaliator.

Red Mage

I hope that I get Edgar's weapon on my 11 pull. I think that I am going to keep 50 for Not!Cloud's event, as I am lacking in 13 equipment. Lots of VII events coming up, but I am good there.

When does the drop rate increase?

I just alternated magic & armor breakdown on her then went to town with boost+retaliate+advance then people doublecutting the retaliator.

I was only doing Magic Break as my Wakka was full with Mental and Armor Breakdown. I had Magic Break on Squall. Maybe I'll switch in Mental Break and Magic Breakdown instead.

Still wondering if Dispel affects Sentinels Grimiore? I know it gets rid of the Sky Pirates Haste record materia.

Faithless

This game is starting to give me anxiety. I look at the requirements for Lair of the Father and I'm like ... is this even enjoyable anymore?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom