• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy: Record Keeper |OT| The only ATB here is Active Time Battle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Razmos

Chaos Shrine of Yore 2 was not fun at all.

The enemies are in packs of 3/4, all attack first, and the majority of them have AoE attacks. Kraken hits like a truck, and uses AoE attacks that also blind the party, as well as having no weaknesses, and then Tiamat absolutely spams the shit out of AoE attacks as well.

I think I lost 6 medals alone due to damage taken doing that dungeon.

MicH

What's the best strategy a against that Spherimorph or whatever it's called? The counter attacks hurt! I'm thinking Carbuncle but I'm not sure

LucaMac

Chaos Shrine of Yore 2 was not fun at all.

The enemies are in packs of 3/4, all attack first, and the majority of them have AoE attacks. Kraken hits like a truck, and uses AoE attacks that also blind the party, as well as having no weaknesses, and then Tiamat absolutely spams the shit out of AoE attacks as well.

I think I lost 6 medals alone due to damage taken doing that dungeon.

Sacrafice one ability slot for break. Unload everything on Kraken and s/l break on Tiamat. Don't know how I'd have done both of those in one dungeon without break.

What's the best strategy a against that Spherimorph or whatever it's called? The counter attacks hurt! I'm thinking Carbuncle but I'm not sure
Bring all four major elements (fire, ice, lightning and water), start with magic break/down, it'll counter with a magic attack. Now use the opposite element to exploit its weakness. (Fire <> Ice, Water <> Lightning) Rinse and repeat.

TLDR: Physical Attack (Magic Breakdown.) > Elemental Weakness > Any Physical Attack > Elemental Weakness, etc. (Refresh Magic Break/down every 3 turns or so.)

It's a good idea to set the battle speed low for this fight. If it uses Press too often, I just S/L. (P.S. Save some Lightning attacks for the second boss!)

Negator

Bring all four major elements (fire, ice, lightning and water), start with magic break/down, it'll counter with a magic attack. Now use the opposite element to exploit its weakness. (Fire <> Ice, Water <> Lightning) Rinse and repeat.

TLDR: Physical Attack (Magic Breakdown.) > Elemental Weakness > Any Physical Attack > Elemental Weakness, etc. (Refresh Magic Break/down every 3 turns or so.)

It's a good idea to set the battle speed low for this fight. If it uses Press too often, I just S/L. (P.S. Save some Lightning attacks for the second boss!)

You know what sucks about that? The second boss resists Fire, Ice, and Water, so if you have any extras of that they are almost worthless.

You know what sucks about that? The second boss resists Fire, Ice, and Water, so if you have any extras of that they are almost worthless.
Yeah, it's not ideal. It's a mean dungeon. I'm dreading tackling the elite version. (Though it's just resist as opposed to absorb, so it'll still do damage. If you have a strong black mage, it won't be a huge problem.)

Falk

that puzzling face
Carbuncle is also asking for Spherimorph to heal itself hahaha.

Also you WANT him to be spamming elemental changes. Anecdotally that's how you avoid the HP% aoe attack. So no man-mode Retaliate strat.

I will only be doing a 100 gem pull on the banner. These new elites are hard as balls for me, other than the chaos shrines solely due to the ohk bosses, and I think a fair amount is due to not having a natural five retaliate weapon. I have one for vi, vii, viii and those realms are considerably easier. Leading with a four star or four plus dagger or the fencing sword, you really feel,the difference in offense, thanks to zantetsuken and otherwise really nice vi synergy, other than a fist and spear, I will be saving myhril for other banners.

I have two more x stam shard elites and have to redo both of the memory crystal levels, botched those two for expert. I am not looking forward to elite spheromorph, classic was rough on me. I'm thinking runic sw on vivi, has anyone tried that out? I forget if sphere used single target or aoe spells. Also have the las x elite for the final share, I'll hold that one for when I need a refill, probalby in the next event,

This game is a bit bizarre. Is there a way to grind? I started playing last week and did the Yuna and Selphie event on normal. The game was fairly easy until I started unlocking the XIII and VIII levels. Enemies spam status effects and I never have any orbs for esuna :/

I have two 5* weapons, the one for Wakka and the Blitzsword. I was using Record Keeper, Yuna, Rydia, Cloud and Wakka but I don't think it's working well anymore.
The XIII and VIII stages are the start of dungeon update 3 and has a difficulty level of 32 (see the roadmap, dungeon update 6 is as far as global is currently and the updates happen bi-monthly from now on).

Some of the elite dungeons in the first 2 dungeon updates have lower difficulty levels than that (not the first 6 FFVI areas) which in principle makes them easier (at the end of the day they are numbers and merely guidelines though for example Mt. Kolts elite is considered much hard than its difficulty level of 51). The dungeon clear quests can also give growth eggs.

As for grinding. While Sunday daily is king floor 2 of FFVI Vector streets is the best repeatable one (on the floor selection screen in a dungeon you can repeat a completed floor). Generally in terms of using stamina it is better to do something else than go to Vector.

While it might be a real stretch do try to get the memory crystals from the Selphie event (you can do the elite levels of this event in any order you like).

Finally have a look at this guide series

For general gameplay such as what bosses weaknesses are I generally use this site.

Falk

that puzzling face
Bruh I retaliate'd it dead

Simple as that.

Man-moded

I mean I guess you could blow him up with Carbuncle/Retaliate, and then use AOE heal SB/RW to heal up and then be in a much better position for the 2nd boss since you're not wasting 3 ability slots on fire/ice/water.

edit: wat@falk

GordonShumway

Neo Member
Planning on grinding for the second Summoner RM today. Where's the best place to do that? Already have all the other characters available RMs (besides Cyan's second), so no multitasking/need to be in a specific realm.

MicH

tc2Cw7w.jpg

Not a bad free pull today. Too bad I already have a fake 6* version of it

Planning on grinding for the second Summoner RM today. Where's the best place to do that? Already have all the other characters available RMs (besides Cyan's second), so no multitasking/need to be in a specific realm.

That dropped for me almost immediately, so I'd actually recommend waiting for a few hours and dragging her through the low level event battles, she'll survive and not be a drag on the team and you won't waste stamina. Unless you need it this minute in which case, I used the IV 2 stam levels.

I'm blowing a bit of stam here and there on garnets and dragging red Mage along, those are the two i still need.

Red Mage

Are their weapons not worth gambling my mythril, or do you just not care for the characters?

Most people have a crapload of VI equipment already. If you love the characters or need more VI equipment, then I say go for it.

I notice most people say 'her' with the Summoner. Is there official genders for the core classes? Most seem androgynous.

Nohar

Most people have a crapload of VI equipment already. If you love the characters or need more VI equipment, then I say go for it.

I notice most people say 'her' with the Summoner. Is there official genders for the core classes? Most seem androgynous.

Summoner is actually a "he", and he's based on Bartz's summoner sprite from FFV.

GordonShumway

Neo Member
That dropped for me almost immediately, so I'd actually recommend waiting for a few hours and dragging her through the low level event battles, she'll survive and not be a drag on the team and you won't waste stamina. Unless you need it this minute in which case, I used the IV 2 stam levels.

I'm blowing a bit of stam here and there on garnets and dragging red Mage along, those are the two i still need.

I don't need it this minute, just the thing I care most about getting right now. I did miss the fact that the Red Mage's crystal was in the last update, so I'll try for that first and probably work on both after that. Thanks.

Falk

that puzzling face
Same, like, the dungeons aren't going to go away, unlike EX/EX++ so I'm more compelled to beat those. Worst case I can always e.g. come back to brute force Babil 1 and Lair of the Father with lv80 characters and 4* r4 hones since my FFIV gear ironically sucks.

Xetherion

What are the damage mitigation strategies for that Edea Elite? Is it just Magic Break/Down? Does Sentinels Grimiore get taken off by dispel? I beat her with Novice bringing a Rinoa friend summon along. Damage Mitigation was my biggest problem. My healer Selphie went down and I decided to ride it out and try a different strategy but I ended up pulling thought with Squall at a slivers health and Cloud at mid health.

With Mental Breakdown on, the Rinoa friend summon hit for 4.5k 3 times per attack for 2 attacks. I wonder how an Irvine wold do with Armor Breakdown applied.

I used Celes RW Runic and Magic Breakdown. Runic took care of the single target spells and recharged Quistis' Firaja charges, also protecting her (but only her) from the AOE. Magic Breakdown kept the AOE manageable. I did have 12 uses of Curaga and went through 9 or 10 of them though. Everyone except Quistis was almost completely out of abilities when Edea finally went down. Also did have to recast Runic about halfway through the fight, so the second Runic was probably pretty close to wearing off. Tough fight, but mastered it with 1 medal lost to actions and 2 to damage.

Edit: also take my strat with a grain of salt, as I do have a 5* Blitzsword that I had on Cloud with Retaliate. My DPS was barely enough to finish the fight before Runic wore off i think, so if you don't have a Blitzsword or Revolver I don't think my strat would work for you.

Edit2: just remembered that I also had a Minotaur Plate on Squall with the Shellga SB as well. So yeah my strat was definitely very gear dependent, don't use it unless you have the same stuff.

Same, like, the dungeons aren't going to go away, unlike EX/EX++ so I'm more compelled to beat those. Worst case I can always e.g. come back to brute force Babil 1 and Lair of the Father with lv80 characters and 4* r4 hones since my FFIV gear ironically sucks.

Yeah. I find the event dungeons interesting since they're time sensitive and have great rewards. But the other ones aren't going anywhere and handout trash as rewards.

Xetherion

I hate myself for missing characters but I'm so damned bored of autobattling through event dungeons.

I use the event dungeons to get exp on my two lowest level characters, Ricard and Gladiator. Thanks to gear they can still auto the trash and the early bosses, but the last few bosses usually require some planning (and often bringing a black mage as well to hit element weakness target score).

Xetherion

I haven't used Advance yet (only have one friend with it and they never come up when i'm doing hard dungeons), so I can't speak to how good that strat is.

I used this setup:

Squall - Blizzara Strike, Magic Break
Wakka - Power Breakdown, Dark Buster
Cloud - Thundara Strike, Retaliate
Quistis - Biora, Thundaga
Selphie - Protectga, Curaga

Rinoa Valkyrie as RW.

johnsmith

remember me
I haven't used Advance yet (only have one friend with it and they never come up when i'm doing hard dungeons), so I can't speak to how good that strat is.

I used this setup:

Squall - Blizzara Strike, Magic Break
Wakka - Power Breakdown, Dark Buster
Cloud - Thundara Strike, Retaliate
Quistis - Biora, Thundaga
Selphie - Protectga, Curaga

Rinoa Valkyrie as RW.
Thanks. Did you master it or use any mythril?

I usually try and do things the proper way (so no Vit0 and minimal retaliate) but GODDAMN, Advance + Retailiate made amazingly short work of Spherimorph Elite. He gave me a lot of problems on classic but got shredded by Superboost. Oh yeah!

SunGod

All classics and elites cleared, also finished the Sephiroth quest so I'm back to just needing to clear the four 5* ability creation ones. I also got Paladin Cecil's second RM while trying to reroll my RW list in Fabul Castle before Giant of Babil Part 1 (I went with the Advance + Retaliate method to clear Rubicante and Barbariccia quickly)

Now I'm just trying to get Summoner's second RM, I'm also missing Garnet's and that's about it. I already got Cloud and Sephiroth to Lv65 so I've been using Cyan as my retaliator recently (although not in the final few elites) and managed to get him to Lv55 so I'm glad the next event in an FF6 one! :)

Negator

119 Stamina club represent.

Went ahead and Advance Retaliated Macalania Woods/Temple, and did the yeti the normal way.

Emptied my Stamina bar, in 6 hours it should be full for Edgar and Sabin!

I hope there are some Greater Dark Orb in there. I need 3 to hone Magic Break to 4/5.

SunGod

Yay I got Summoner's second RM, just missing Garnet's now...

So how do these recharge ability RMs work? If I have Valefor and Ixion (for example) both equipped, will both get charged at the beginning of a battle, or just one of the two at random?

LucaMac

I think I've been saying it...her does seem more natural though. Has there been any male summoners bar Issaru and Braska in X? Can't think off hand. I haven't played V mind you and Bartz was mentioned.

eastx

Here's my FFVIII Echoes of Seed Battles+ mastery setup:

Second image is Seifer battle results. I had to heal (recharge ability uses) with Mithril twice - once before the fourth battle and once before the final battle. I probably should have brought Vivi instead of Quistis for greater magic damage.

Scared to take on Sorceress Rematch++ as I never see any Celes RWs, I only have 1 Carbuncle use, only 6 Retaliate uses. Any tips?

Here's my FFVIII Echoes of Seed Battles+ mastery setup:

Scared to take on Sorceress Rematch++ as I never see any Celes RWs, I only have 1 Carbuncle use, only 6 Retaliate uses. Any tips?

Runic isn't much use as Edea uses a lot of AOE magic, so others will get hit. Bring Sentinel's Grimoire instead for mitigation. If you think you can forgo that, try and find a Luneth Advance RW to boost retaliate damage.

Apply magic and armor break constantly, boost your retaliator. If you're only missing Lesser Power Orbs to hone retaliate, use the Thursday White/Power daily dungeon to farm to get up to L4 or L5.
Double Cuts can take the place of power and mental break; if you have Josef's Double Hit RM that frees up a slot.
If your Vivi is sufficiently high level, bring him instead of Quistis and use his SB to increase your magic damage.
I had Selphie on Curaga and Protega duty; Edea only has one hard-hitting physical attack so Protega will work instead of power break and she'll eventually waste a turn dispelling it, buying you some time.

LucaMac

Just curious. I'm locked into Macalania woods now so I can't check, but can a retaliator still retaliate when beserked? Obviously that would mean only getting two rounds in before it wore off, but cast advance, boost, retaliate, beserk? Could potentially do enough damage to not need more rounds on most bosses...I've a feeling something won't stack though. I'll try it myself and report back if I ever get past Sephimorph after all the s/l-ing.

I lucked after my 5th s/l. I'd missed bringing and ice magic and this time it cycled through 5 others before it started casting fire which got me through by the skin of my teeth and somehow with a champion ranking. Going to have to spend the next five waves defending and healing to get the health back up for boss two while not using too many moves. Quistis has about 1 hp left. More s/l-ing ahead.

Edit: Balls. Only one wave on the boss level. Two unhealed. Save me Batman.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom