• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy: Record Keeper |OT| The only ATB here is Active Time Battle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been limiting my money spending to the $1 relic pulls usually but even I paid money during the Diamond Pin event trying to get it. I did get generic FF7 5*s so it wasn't a total waste but it immediately made me feel like sh*t (no Pin either so I can't in good conscience use Red 13 much at all, which sucks).

So when I see an event I know will be tempting (Soul Break Celebration) I just vow to hoard my Mythril for it and that's it.

The absurdity of red is compunded by him being only useful as an rw since he is level capped. Compared to sazh who can be part of any party since his cap is 65 and he won't be a drag. I did not get the pin, but I wonder if those who received it view it as a mixed blessing.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I just threw 180 mythril and $60 for five 11 pulls to finally get Rinoa's weapon. I complained about the absurd pricing preventing impulse buying but goddamn I really wanted Rinoa's unique. It doesn't even feel satisfying anymore having it after spending that much on it.
At least you got it. Imagine spending that much and getting 3* junk.

My 100 gem pull got me a 4 star FFXIII glove... would be decent if I didn't already have a 5 star FFXIII glove :|

I guess whenever we next have a FFXIII event I can just go team fists and stomp it

Falk

that puzzling face
Speaking of Beatrix, seems to be a ~5% rate of 5* NE. So just about as bad as 4* in Heroic daily hahahaha

Wazzy

Banned
Just got back from my last day of PAX and got to play some XIV, XV and FF explorers which I was fun. Anyway was able to play a little bit tonight and finish most of Eiko so I can blast through Rinoa event.

"To Slay an 11 Pull"

Congratulations Wazzy!! <3
Thanks gorl <3 It's like they know Rinoa is my fave.
Damn! Congrats!

And +1 to what Falk said lol.
Thanks you!

I love doing well on VIII pulls :D
God&#8217;s in His heaven&#8212;
All&#8217;s right with the world!
Lmao only when it comes to VIII do I break the gatcha system.
I can't hate you because I'm really just amazed at how your love for FFVIII controls the gacha like fucking Neo controls the Matrix
:lol :lol

I need to buy a salt factory.
You just need to adore a specific game and you'll get amazing pulls.

Kenai

The absurdity of red is compunded by him being only useful as an rw since he is level capped. Compared to sazh who can be part of any party since his cap is 65 and he won't be a drag. I did not get the pin, but I wonder if those who received it view it as a mixed blessing.

I was legit embarrassed how mad I was that they didn't sneak his crystal into the Aerith event. That combined with his terrible choice of weapons (no daggers, most knuckle weps have no magic stats, ect) and I just get salty. And I am in a better spot than a lot of folks since I have a good selection of natural 5* generic wristbands (Gold Armlet, Gold Bangle, Wizard's bracelet and Edincoat) so I can almost make up for him being stuck with a 4* pin since none of my mages have good weapons and his 5 support means Full Break later. But the level cap for the foreseeable future on top of that? Fawk. :(

At least I will have a 5* spear for Mog since he is coming soon (with no MND for his 4* White Magic Q_Q)

Razmos

Woops, I just created Biora instead of honing it, and then I realized I don't even have Biora yet, I'm about to get it from the elite dungeons, lol.

What is the Eiko boss rush like by the way? Is it worth doing?

LucaMac

It's actually quite easy for the most part with Carbuncle and summoner RM. But make sure you bring shell and magic breakdown for Zorn and Thorn. They got nasty.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
So the strat for the EX++ seems to require multiple high honed AoE spells, or like 3 or 4 honed biogas... is that their way of saying only long term players should even think of trying it?

Razmos

It's actually quite easy for the most part with Carbuncle and summoner RM. But make sure you bring shell and magic breakdown for Zorn and Thorn. They got nasty.
Yikes, you weren't kidding, they did get nasty. Good thing I had Sentinel Grimoire as my RW. Mastered it :3

Falk

that puzzling face
So the strat for the EX++ seems to require multiple high honed AoE spells, or like 3 or 4 honed biogas... is that their way of saying only long term players should even think of trying it?

What the heck are 'long term players' supposed to do if there isn't any content to put the long term stuff to use? Quit out of boredom?*

pretty much, yes Not counting AOE mechanics the combined HP total is the highest in any superboss so far.

*Terra Battle lol

firehawk12

Subete no aware
What the heck are 'long term players' supposed to do if there isn't any content to put the long term stuff to use? Quit out of boredom?*

pretty much, yes Not counting AOE mechanics the combined HP total is the highest in any superboss so far.

*Terra Battle lol
This is something I've just been thinking about. If the game is curved toward day 1 players, new players will never catch up, because by the time they have enough to beat something like this EX++ boss in a few months of grinding orbs and whatnot, the EX++ boss at that point will probably be designed for people who have whatever the next meta is going to be.

I guess I can give up on that 4* accessory, but I'll p2w my way to that 4* summon.

Also, duckroll would probably be happy if more people switched to TB, aka the official sequel to The Last Story. lol

Azusa

This is something I've just been thinking about. If the game is curved toward day 1 players, new players will never catch up, because by the time they have enough to beat something like this EX++ boss in a few months of grinding orbs and whatnot, the EX++ boss at that point will probably be designed for people who have whatever the next meta is going to be.

I guess I can give up on that 4* accessory, but I'll p2w my way to that 4* summon.

Also, duckroll would probably be happy if more people switched to TB, aka the official sequel to The Last Story. lol

I have started to play this game when Squall event was live (late June). And now I have cleared all EX++ in the last 3 events. It's possible and I have used gems only on 100 gem pulls. Zero stamina refresh.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I have started to play this game when Squall event was live (late June). And now I have cleared all EX++ in the last 3 events. It's possible and I have used gems only on 100 gem pulls. Zero stamina refresh.
I mean, I've been playing for real since July I guess and only started looking at the wiki with the Japanese events this week, but I don't know how I'm supposed to make a crap load of Biogas and Quakes for this boss battle, let alone have those honed 4* summons. I imagine there's some advantilate/slow solution to this boss battle as well, but the best solution seems to require a fully decked out 4 mage team + the sheepskin soul break which to me seems like high level/end game load outs.

Razmos

c8f165c9eed7ab9c8d5d07c1b8a14fc7.png

Sazh is well known for his use of spears.

Azusa

I mean, I've been playing for real since July I guess and only started looking at the wiki with the Japanese events this week, but I don't know how I'm supposed to make a crap load of Biogas and Quakes for this boss battle, let alone have those honed 4* summons. I imagine there's some advantilate/slow solution to this boss battle as well, but the best solution seems to require a fully decked out 4 mage team + the sheepskin soul break which to me seems like high level/end game load outs.

I have Quake R2 and Bioga R2 only. I'll try to hone my only Bioga to R3 or R4 this week and I'll be fine I think.

Why would I need 4 mage team? Why do you think that its the only one solution? I'll use whatever I got and try to create a party that have a chance to master EX++. I just don't want to look at these ideal parties its useless, because its a mobage where drop is random and you can't have the same relics and the same honed abilities.

MicH

Sheepskin Coat RW + four mage team does make the upcoming EX++ quite a bit easier, but it is definitely not the only solution. You can still sleep two of them and bring Slowga and take them out one by one. Remember you also don't necessarily need summons, multiple Bioras or honed Quakes. Just don't bring Wind or Lightning spells and you're good to go. The event gives out a free Biora which makes it a lot easier to get at least two Bioras for the battle (assuming you already crafted one)

The first two months of this game we were grinding lessers and praying for the occasional three star orb to drop as well as grinding bosses for pitiful two star equips to combine. And trying to wake up every three hours to not waste stamina. I survived with blade bash and other skills that are utterly useless now. The only skills I use from those days are boost and double cut, the rest hit the trash bin unceremoniously. New players can basically blow past these low one and two star abilities and star working on the three stars from jump. Take a look at the rewards from this event. There are a number of battles that do not feature bosses but do give out 8x2 greater orbs. This is far far better than what we had availble even a month or two ago. We spent days running humbaba, now you can get those orbs with a single stam bar. Not to mention the exp slog, with the heroics you can have a competent team up and running within weeks of starting.

of course you also have access to summoned warriors on story dungeons that day one players did not, meaning you can blow through them accumulating stamina shards and mythril to use on banners that are better than what we pulled from at the beginning. Oh, and you are getting daily mythril, at the beginning it was a precious commodity, not so much now. Now it rains mythril and I use it for stam refreshes without a second thought.

There is a reason dena doesn't have these ex++ bosses give items or abilities, just orbs and mats, new players aren't meant to be able to complete them in the first month. Thank god, if it were the case, the what would be the challenge for old players?

Tldr- yes, you can't compete with day one players and may not be able to tackle the ex++ boss, but this game is actually reasonable to catch up to at least the stage of getting characters and crystals in a short time frame.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I think part of my frustration is just realizing that the orb wall is one that is essentially insurmountable. Like, I don't even have time to do the paintings because you have to either grind the daily dungeons or do the event in order to keep up with the demands of the next event, where you need some new ability that you've never used before in order to defeat it. It just seems like something that older players don't have to deal with.

MicH

I think part of my frustration is just realizing that the orb wall is one that is essentially insurmountable. Like, I don't even have time to do the paintings because you have to either grind the daily dungeons or do the event in order to keep up with the demands of the next event, where you need some new ability that you've never used before in order to defeat it. It just seems like something that older players don't have to deal with.
I'm a day one player with 115 stamina. I haven't even completed the newest dungeon update classics because I have to spend all my stamina on the dailies or the events, so this issue is not exclusive to new players at all. I feel the same frustration

I just hope the FFVIII trio here are funner to fight than the Turks were. I don't mind about not getting champion but I do mind battles which become excessive massage of the RNG.

Speaking of things I think the Soul Break Fest is nearly upon us so distractions galore.

Isn't there going to be EX+++ (or whatever they name it) starting with Golbez event? I heard you had
EX four fiends (boss rush), EX++ White Dragon, EX+++ Dark Bahamut (opens battle with megaflare, git grindin')

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I'm a day one player with 115 stamina. I haven't even completed the newest dungeon update classics because I have to spend all my stamina on the dailies or the events, so this issue is not exclusive to new players at all. I feel the same frustration
Hah, then is it a case of players either p2w-ing or the Japanese version being more generous?

I was just looking at a video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5emgbHWNIzs - and if those are the spells he has just for this battle, I can only imagine he has a ton of -ja spells honed up and whatnot as well.

I'm a Day 1 player but I can't put a whole lot of time into the game, and don't have a lot of hones. Had some days where I would just log in, and I think I had a stretch of about a couple weeks of doing that. Didn't really heavy IAP outside of one short binge

I just learn to live with it.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Isn't there going to be EX+++ (or whatever they name it) starting with Golbez event? I heard you had
EX four fiends (boss rush), EX++ White Dragon, EX+++ Dark Bahamut (opens battle with megaflare, git grindin')
Oh I didn't even look into that yet. Weeeelp.

MicH

Hah, then is it a case of players either p2w-ing or the Japanese version being more generous?

I was just looking at a video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5emgbHWNIzs - and if those are the spells he has just for this battle, I can only imagine he has a ton of -ja spells honed up and whatnot as well.
I don't think that many have honed 4* summons yet (or maybe I'm wrong). I have the ability to hone some. I can hone both Phoenix and Valefor (not one or the other) which I may consider doing for the EX++. If you managed to get Rinoa's second relic that one is extremely good for the ++ battles too. 2x AoE Quake + Slow all targets. Combine that with the Sheepskin Coat and you're doing pretty damn good

Vorpal

Why would I need 4 mage team? Why do you think that its the only one solution? I'll use whatever I got and try to create a party that have a chance to master EX++. I just don't want to look at these ideal parties its useless, because its a mobage where drop is random and you can't have the same relics and the same honed abilities.

Yeah, this. There's almost always wiggle room for clearing these events. That's why you see stuff like "Core Classes Only" or "No Retaliate" and so on--people figuring out different setups that work, or otherwise deliberately limiting themselves to see if they can still clear something.

Got a Sheepskin Cloak on a 5-pull if anybody needs it. GDeN is my friend code. Unfortunately I seem to be approaching the 100 follower cap again, so be quick or hope somebody falls off.

Got a Sheepskin Cloak on a 5-pull if anybody needs it. GDeN is my friend code. Unfortunately I seem to be approaching the 100 follower cap again, so be quick or hope somebody falls off.

Added! Also, I realized I never added my Sahz up here, so if anyone wants him, it's GTwy. High likelyhood I'll friend you back, and I usually try to prioritize using mutual friends when I 'm farming and whatnot.

MicH

I also have the Sheepskin Coat as my RW. My ID is 9rsP. I may need to add some fellow Sheepskin Coat RWs so I can use it right away instead of waiting for the SB to charge

I should have two R4 Biora for the boss rush plus an R3 Quake. That is definitely a good start

I'm at my high water mark of 117 mythril. I'll be saving 50 for the golbez banner. I have 9 elites left, so 9 more to gain potentially there. The festival lasts for ten days and each lithograph nets another myhril, for a total of 22 myhril, one per day, one every fifth day and one per lithograph. So perhaps 31 or so myhril I can gain plus another ten or so from the golbez event, for a total of 158-160 mythril between now and he end of the golbez event for me to account for.

I will do the 100 gem pull on all the banners and hit the following with three pulls:
Banner 37: yes: rod whip and some armors
Banner 38: no: I already have a vii katana and the rest is uninteresting, sorry mog
Banner 39: yes: x sword needed, reds pin, IV spear (still missing a relic spear), rod
Banner 40: yes: staff rod, xiii sword, sentinel grimoire, axe
Banner 41: no: sorry Edward, I have an viii sword and the vega already

http://bantha.org/~dscotton/ffrk.html

Sticking with my needs of a retaliate sword or katana per realm and whatever rods and staves I can get my grubby fingers on. I have vi, vii, viii covered retaliation wise. So with the above, I can afford perhaps 2 additional 3 pulls. What I may do is see how it goes and if I fail to get anything useful do a full fifty pull on banner 40 rather than additional three pulls.

I'm crossing my fingers for another log in bonus festival like with the fog netting us either unholy blitz or blizzaja and a five star relic and other assorted trinkets.

/ffrk livejournal

Azusa

I should have two R4 Biora for the boss rush plus an R3 Quake. That is definitely a good start

I'm almost there. I need one greater earth orb for R3 Quake and I have got one R4 and one R2 Biora. But I have zero summons. If only I could farm some major wind orbs to craft and hone Valefor.

Balphon

Yeah, this. There's almost always wiggle room for clearing these events. That's why you see stuff like "Core Classes Only" or "No Retaliate" and so on--people figuring out different setups that work, or otherwise deliberately limiting themselves to see if they can still clear something.

If no retaliate is a challenge run now I should start recording everything I do.

MicH

I'm almost there. I need one greater earth orb for R3 Quake and I have got one R4 and one R2 Biora. But I have zero summons. If only I could farm some major wind orbs to craft and hone Valefor.
I think I'm gonna hone Valefor to R2 for this as well. And Shiva to R3 too, probably

Nohar

Ramuh is R3 and Quake is R3 too here. Got a R4 Biora. I'll probably craft/hone another R4 Biora (since we're gonna need it for Golbez/Tellah). I could hone Valefor to R2, though I'd like to avoid it.

Falk

that puzzling face

No, I'm saying TB has that exact problem - lots of power level to grind and literally nothing to use it on for months on end.

About levelling curves and catching up and whatnot - yes and no. You're simply not going to catch up to day 1 players because of the stamina mechanic (Think about it, a month is 14480 stamina they have potentially spent that you don't)

On the other hand, things simply become easier to grind. 1 stamina then isn't equal to one stamina now (It's worth far more). There are some very obvious slingshots, and event rewards in terms of 3 and 4* orbs get more and more plentiful as it goes by. (To answer your question, no, Global has been far more generous than Japan if you synchronize their starts)

There's also very obvious catch-up events, like Festival of Gold and the upcoming Soul Break Fest (not as cool) and Orb Dungeon (very cool) that have rewards/stamina far outpacing everything else in the game.

My point is, you can have played 30% total stamina of a Day 1 player and gotten 80% of the power level (especially around the events mentioned above) and that percentage creeps higher and higher, despite what you may think you're missing in terms of rewards.

Analyzing the boss fights themselves, it's pretty clear that while dungeons keep going up in difficulty (as they should - that's progression) events tend to hover around the same difficulty for each tier.

The first event that had a boss rush incidentally was Rinoa (although it was simply Stage 10 featuring 3 bosses, rather than a designated boss rush) Virtually no one beat that with Mastery. Not me. Not Wazzy and the FF8 5* Parade. There were some crazies out there who pulled way more FF8 gear and literally threw multiple Mythril at each boss to buff enough to clear the entire thing, but that's besides the point.

The event after that featured Red Dragon, which a lot of people struggled with as well (not counting VIT0 shenanigans). End bosses after that generally got easier, and then harder again, but never breached the difficulty level of Red Dragon.

Boss rushes have similarly been around the same difficulty since they were introduced. So have EX+s since they were introduced.

I think in terms of progression, the idea is for newer players to aim for, in terms of increasing difficulty tiers:
A) Get the event characters (literally doable within the event timeframe from a fresh start - a.k.a. in line with the draw of the game even at a casual level being collecting FF characters)
B) Get the event MCs (a little harder)
C) Beat the event final boss and beat the event boss rush while burning Mythril. (If you can beat the final boss, you definitely can clear the boss rush burning Mythril as nothing is singularly harder than the final boss in terms of stats)
D) Beat the event boss rush without burning Mythril and clear the EX+ without Mastery
E) Clear the EX+ with Mastery

The fact that they're adding EX++ and then Misfortune tiers rather than gradually increasing the difficulty of the above bullet points lends credence to this theory. That's the progression/carrot-on-a-stick despite prior events being gone forever.

So basically, if you can do B), your goal for next events should be to do continue to do B), and aim for C). If you can do C), your goal for next events should be to continue doing C) and aim for D)

Remember my friend? We just beat a boss rush for the first time ever. (throwing Mythril at it every stage).

Your problem is (and I'm repeating myself here, apologies) you're trying to do too much too fast.

If you're really interested in at least getting a decent leg-up in the game, I'd suggest doing whatever you can in events but also focus on beefing the shit out of your max Stamina (meaning classic dungeons as far as you can go) in preparation for dropping Mythril on the Orb Dungeon. Like seriously, that thing is going to allow you to craft and hone a very large percentage of everything everyone has right now, missed 4* rewards or not.

Remember, it's one thing getting free 4* stuff. It's another honing them to r3 which is when they start getting useful (outside of obvious exceptions like Shellga/Protectga) and the Orb cost for those hones are far greater than the initial craft.

edit:
Additional thoughts w.r.t. later posts in the thread:

I've got in terms of summons past r1:
- Valefor r3
- Phoenix r2
- Ramuh r4
- Carbuncle r2
- Kirin r3 (lol)

The only -ja I have honed to r3 is Waterja, and it's a staple in my lineup. Firaja and Thundaja sit at r2. I've not even crafted Blizzaja yet. Reasoning for which has been mentioned multiple times in my -aga/mage meta analysis posts.

So no, I doubt the guy in the video has a shit ton of honed -ajas on top of his summons of which I'm sitting around the same ballpark outside of r2 Alexander. The video looks like overkill, to be quite honest. In the end, you're going to be able to somewhat compensate for lower power levels by simply getting luckier with sheepskin sleeping all three, and then sleeping whoever's left alive when the first one wears out. It's not going to let someone with a single r2 Biora win, but a leg up is a leg up.

edit2:
I think I'm gonna hone Valefor to R2 for this as well. And Shiva to R3 too, probably

Screw Shiva tbh. Join the Ramuh cult.

(simply because Ramuh helps with Omega Weapon lol. Yes I'm aware there's no 4* ice summon)

firehawk12

Subete no aware
^
That all makes sense, and I already know that I'm saving everything for the orb event at this point now since I've abandoned the idea of relying on the RNG of pulls. lol

But part of it just feels like missing useful abilities seems to hinder you later on. Not having slowga because I couldn't beat the blue dragon a few events ago means I needed to burn greater orbs on it (and greater wind orbs seem sparse, it seems) but can't hone it. I know that you could alternatively bring a slow-based soul break via roaming warrior (and I think that's why there are so many, including the new one in this event), but when the haste-mitigation type soul breaks seem more essential on the boss battles (probably more for the all-haste than for the shell/protect), you're incentivized to bring your own if possible.

And I'm sure the summon orb sparsity is there specifically because they allow for powerful AoE spells, but with no way to easily farm them, there's also the feeling of a wall there as well.

Falk

that puzzling face
p.s. you don't want to hone Slowga.

Summon orbs - yeah. I think there's going to be a huge divide between people who played before and after the Orb Dungeon event. Mainly because of exactly that - Summon orbs are literally farmable there (at a far greater orb/stam ratio) and nowhere else remotely comparable since.

Negator

Slowga has 4 uses built in so it's unlikely you will need more than that.

What's this orb dungeon everyone is talking about?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom