• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy: Record Keeper |OT| The only ATB here is Active Time Battle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wazzy

Banned
Lucky, this is what I was pulling for.
Still happy though
eeqEfzSl.jpg
Gratz!
Four 3*'s for my gem and mythril.

T_T

Wazzy, are you pulling for Squall's sword?

Nah, I'm actually saving up for Squall's best Gunblade! I did a 100 gem pull and got nothing so I'll avoid this banner. I also want to do a pull on Zell's banner but not sure If I'll do a payed or mythril pull for it. It's not for awhile so thankfully I have plenty of time to save my mythril!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
So, yeah, Advance, works. Surviving Megaflare is obviously the first problem, If you have no 4* RS, farm Black Cowl. The other problem is healing up fast before the second Megaflare. Kirin alone didn't cut it for me due to my lack of physical damage mitigation. I had to s/l 15 times until: 1) Dark Bahamut did not attack Garnet or Tyro on the first round; 2) I could precisely time Reflect / Dispel so Dark Bahamut would physically attack me as little as possible.

Now that the ATK cap has been raised, it's easier, though. I could leave out Boost and Armor Break and I'll still do more damage than before. That opens up space for Protega/Power Break/down and Shell, which would solve the healing fast enough problem.

Also, Retaliate is more legit than magic. Pinnacle of teamwork right there. =P
I don't know if I have the patience to do the airplane trick to farm for a piece of gear over and over again. lol

But yeah, the Retaliate is so cheap. Especially since I can use it even with my crappy team... lol

Falk

that puzzling face
Nothing beats VIT-0 shenanigans.

AH THE NOSTALGIA.

(FFRK is old if you can have nostalgia for past meta)

Here's my final pull.

I would say I'm a 7 or 8 out of 10 happy with my 250 Mythril spent.

I got six 5★, two character relics (Tidus for usefulness, Firion for coolness), the rest armors and plenty of combinable 3★.

Mild disappointment from lack of 4★, I think I got just as many as 5★.

COrBCtWUEAAM2Fu.jpg:large

The augment system seems broken for the west tbh. Designed for the Japanese addiction to premuim gatcha and not the Western horde mythril mentality.
Unless they increase the rate of 5* drops asap.

So what are good characters to get 50 with/look for Materia. Got Cecil (Paladin and Dark Knight), Rinoa, Wakka, Lightning, Aerith, Yuna, Stiner, Squall, Sephiroth, and Cloud at 50.

Don't know who to burn these eggs on.

So what are good characters to get 50 with/look for Materia. Got Cecil (Paladin and Dark Knight), Rinoa, Wakka, Lightning, Aerith, Yuna, Stiner, Squall, Sephiroth, and Cloud at 50.

Don't know who to burn these eggs on.
Some core characters have pretty useful Materia (White Mage, Black Mage and Summoner should be top priority).

You can also go to Record Materia screen and sort by Unobtained to read what they do so you can decide.

The augment system seems broken for the west tbh. Designed for the Japanese addiction to premuim gatcha and not the Western horde mythril mentality.

The augment system seems ridiculous to me. It's a HUGE money + luck sync for far to little gain. I feel like it's just there for the true whales who don't give a damn about burning multiple 5 stars.

Falk

that puzzling face

Two things:

One, the amount of forging you have total is cumulative, and you're very likely to get Rosetta stones way faster than 5* items anyway. (You didn't forget Rosetta stones, did you? Rosetta stones!)

Two, I'm very inclined to believe that going into the second year, when 6s start becoming the new 5, current pool of 5s will become much more common. It still 'makes sense' to new players at that point, since many of the signature 5s are weapons you get near/at the start of the game(s), like Buster Sword, etc.

Granted, at that point it stil seems like it'd be really hard to burn 5*s (the way it's hard to burn 4*s right now unless it's something you have like 7 duplicates of) but I think the forging system is designed for the long-haul. And all those 15/15s you built up? When 6*s come out, due to the mechanics of the system you can transfer all 15 to the new items if you're willing to sac the old one.

Question is if really endgame stuff like Ultima Weapon will be 6* or 7*s.

edit: For what it's worth, I also think at some point they're going to have to revamp or limit the friend summon system. There's not much progression for new players right now at the early stages of the game except to queue up a bunch of AOE RWs, and that only gets worse as SSBs come out. It turns an increasingly larger and larger part of the game's dungeon progression into the droll mindless auto-battling snoozefest that we had at launch as Soul Breaks and therefore Friend Summons get stronger and stronger. Terra's SSB for example is going to straight up decimate any boss with 100k HP or less.

The four fiends order (and hence their stats) are different between the Elite dungeon and the boss rush. Threw me off a bit when doing that dungeon.

The Barbariccia boss rush used tornado form after every single attack. Is that supposed to happen? So freaking annoying.
20% chance. You got RNG'd. Or perhaps the AI is bugged in rare circumstances (like that FFIX boss which would spam cage and trap the entire party before they could do anything rather than stop after one party member).

Now her sometimes countering jumps with lightning is another real pain of that fight (especially as lightning has a chance of doing 25% your max HP instead).

Forty stamina lost in one shot, wow.

Dude killed three of five in the opening shot.
:(

Bit late but here is a chart of damage you can expect for given res. Also remember skills like devotion will drop your res.

johnsmith

remember me
The four fiends order (and hence their stats) are different between the Elite dungeon and the boss rush. Threw me off a bit when doing that dungeon.

20% chance. You got RNG'd. Or perhaps the AI is bugged in rare circumstances (like that FFIX boss which would spam cage and trap the entire party before they could do anything rather than stop after one party member).

Now her sometimes countering jumps with lightning is another real pain of that fight (especially as lightning has a chance of doing 25% your max HP instead).

Thanks. I guess I got really bad luck. Easy boss rush overall though.

:(

Bit late but here is a chart of damage you can expect for given res. Also remember skills like devotion will drop your res.
The stamina would've just went to Daily Dungeon if I finished, no real loss.

Yeah I went in kind of cocky with most of my White Dragon Advance/Retaliate team, except I put Tyro and Eiko in for abilities (removed Cecil and Rydia).

I'll give it a redo soon with a smarter setup (all high RES gear) for a slow burn.

Draw Fire on Cecil could take all the in between hits if he stays in Defend, Sentinel Grimoire's and Shellga would salve subsequent Megaflares (or maybe Boon and Magic Breakdown for the added Haste). My issue here would be mild MAG output, I have two 8x Biora and 8x Comets (plus a 4x Bioga), but no standout MAG weapons.

Sooooo, hmm.

Cecil: Draw Fire and Pound.
Rydia: Biora and Comet.
Viva: Biora and Bioga.
Selphie: Curaga and Faith.
Garnet: Curaga (Shellga?) and Dispel.

Friend: Sentinel's Grimoire.

I could put my shared Shellga on Cecil to take two Curaga (probably important) and Pound can be used after Dispel, which can trigger extra self-Flares since Magic Break won't be useful with resist.

Faith is probably a must thanks to lack of 5★ MAG.

This might work if I can take another Megaflare before Shellga Soul Break and dude reliably Flares himself.

If I can't get that to work, I'll just have to wait to see if somebody more clever concocts a strategy, egg Tellah and Golbez to 65 (a mere scratch considering the recent event), pull from the current banner and leave luck to Heaven, or skip, since the reward is honestly not amazing (yay, materials and golds, those aren't in the dailies or anything).

Falk

that puzzling face
I think if you used Boon RW, you can comfortably heal 5 times before the next Megaflare, saving a Curaga slot for something else. (Tellah can dispel while nuking otherwise)

edit: also I think I'd go with Mental Break over Pound. Yeah yeah, break resistance and all that but 1) it's gonna have more casts than pound 2) gaining 10% (number pulled out of ass, not too sure how the curve works in this particular instance without testing it myself) more damage on all magic damage = yay.

edit2: If you're hurting on hones, remember that right after dispel, attacking will likely help get Dark Bahamut to flare himself even more. (30% chance)

MicH

Had a surprisingly easy time with the White Dragon. Mastered on my first attempt. My two 5* Lillith Rods are really good for IV events :p

I think if you used Boon RW, you can comfortably heal 5 times before the next Megaflare, saving a Curaga slot for something else. (Tellah can dispel while nuking otherwise)
I'm thinking Sentinel's is going to work better for my current plan, since I'll be counting on self-Flares to some degree.

Blech, there's no "Start Battle with Shell" materia, looks like I'll have to egg Yuna to prevent her from getting one-hit.

EDIT: Never mind, with synergy, my team is all about 280+ RES except Cecil, but he has the HPs. 296/271 on the MAG.

Ashodin

Yeah White Dragon I beat once then forgot to use Non-Ele magic

:/

Then I did it again with Aeris using Comet and yay

Now onto Dark Bahamamamamamamamamamamamamaut

MicH

Aand Dark Bahamut mastered. The race to heal after his opening Megaflare is crazy. If only we had Cloud's or Tyro's RM3 so I could have Yuna ready to use her Hymn of the Fayth right in the beginning :p Wasn't too bad overall. The times he Flare'd himself was very nice.

Falk

that puzzling face
Ahahaha I'm tempted to try this ridiculous man-mode strat for Dark Bahamut:

Golbez - Comet/Biora - Demonic Pact
Tellah - Biora/Dispel - Rod Master
Rydia - Valefor/Kirin - Eidolon's Bond
Vivi - Bioga/Meteor - Zeal (lol)
Pencil - Draw Fire/Mental Break - Bastion

RW: HEALING GRIMOIRE LOL

Reasoning: Healing the party is 5 actions. Might as well cut it to 2 with a Healing Grimoire and Kirin, which -should- top everyone up enough to survive Megaflare #2 and #3 for 2 actions per Megaflare.

Rydia will RW after each Megaflare, then Kirin, and attack whenever Dark Bahamut is in reflect state which should stretch out the 4 Valefor casts. Everyone else just nukes.

edit: actually, other way around. Kirin first, then RW healing grimoire at Countdown:1. Maximize the use of Demonic Pact.

Kenai

As someone who loves Final Fantasy XI, the missing doorway remains depressing.
I want a Tarutaru in my party.

Well you can be sure that when they do get around to it Shantotto is a lock in.

I'd love a Galka or a FF14 Roegaydn myself. I'll be waiting a while. :(

MicH

Golbez - Comet/Biora - Demonic Pact
Tellah - Biora/Dispel - Rod Master
Rydia - Valefor/Kirin - Eidolon's Bond
Vivi - Bioga/Meteor - Zeal (lol)
Pencil - Draw Fire/Mental Break - Bastion

RW: HEALING GRIMOIRE LOL

Reasoning: Healing the party is 5 actions. Might as well cut it to 2 with a Healing Grimoire and Kirin, which -should- top everyone up enough to survive Megaflare #2 and #3 for 2 actions per Megaflare.

Rydia will RW after each Megaflare, then Kirin, and attack whenever Dark Bahamut is in reflect state which should stretch out the 4 Valefor casts. Everyone else just nukes.
Why not Yuna's healing SB? Isn't that stronger than Healing Grimoire? And it gives heavy regen too so you don't have to use Kirin right away

Okay, I beat it with the setup I mentioned.

Barely.

Also, I did not Master because of actions (assume lose two for damage no matter what).

I took like four extra Megaflares, haha.

Faith Bioga was only hitting for 7500. :-\

Everything else was 3500-4500. :-\

I *might* be able to Master with some mods. Kirin might be able to top off Sentinal/Shellga protected Megaflares, so that's one cast versus four or five. Then, I should 100% focus on poking him after a Dispel, the potential 9999s far outweight what I would do. And since Cecil managed okay with Draw Fire on Shellga only, so I could take Boon to possibly trigger a few extra counters. And Magic Break instead of Pound, my damage isn't coming from Pound and even a resisted Break will save some HPs (however small, would be okay with Kirin running).

Tellah/Gobez at 65 are another option, I figure with synergy they might do more than 3500 a hit. Anybody got a base MAG stat for them at cap with syn?

But that's a lot of eggs for a couple of Major Earth Orbs.

p.s. thanks broski
Yay. What do you have up? I can follow back if you want a lock on that.

Alternate suggestion, equip a Haste RM on your healer.

I was able to heal everyone up and cast reflect on Bahamut twice before the first countdown Megaflare.

Speaking of the Healing Grimoire, why the hell does it take 2 bars from your SoulBreak meter? Are there even other Soul Breaks that use more than 1 bar? Doesn't the Healing Grimoire heal the same or even less than other healing Soul Breaks? Was this a left over idea of the developers that just happened to be stuck to this one single relic? What gives?

Falk

that puzzling face
Probably. Off top of head, Summoner's 4* soul break (lol) also uses 2 bars?

I mean really, friend summons kind of broke the whole relationship between different-bar soul breaks. Not to mention power creep.

Just beat Dark Bahamut my first try. My Sentinel Grimiore ran out just before his last Megaflare which almost took out Aerith. My team was

Rydia: R4 Biora R3 Valefor with Eidolon's Bond
Kain: R4 Jump R3 Magic Break with Heart of the Dragoon
Aerith: R5 Curaga R4 Faith with Sky Pirate's Pride
Golbez: R2 Bioga R4 Comet with Devil's Pact
Tellah: R4 Biora R3 Dispel with Rod Master

Aerith was mostly busy with healing but got a couple of uses of Faith in. I have the Blood Lance for Kain so his jump did 5000 and Lancet 9000. I was debating putting in Cecil with his Mythgraven Blade but in the end I decided against it. Now to farm some orbs.

Falk

that puzzling face
Oh my god lv65 Golbez with a Gold Hairpin can eat Megaflares for breakfast and laugh it off

It hit for 2000 and he has 5.2k HP

edit: Why do I even have Pencil in here hahahaha Golbez can eat Megaflare to the face, Draw Fire and cast shit with Demonic Pact

Mastered Dark Bahumut with the following team and items using the reflect dispel strategy;

Garnet:Storm Staff, Sages Surplus, Angel Ring
Reflect, Curaga, Sky Pirates Pride

Quistis:Blitz Whip, Black Robe,Rune Armlet
Magic Breakdown, Biora R4, Impetuous Youth

Golbez:Rune Axe,Genji Shield,Angel Wings
Bioga R1 ,Biora R4, Devotion

Vivi:Lilith Rod,Gold Hairpin,Magic Armlet
Comet R5, Biora R4, Rod Master

Sazh:Keepsake Knife,Black Cowl, Gaunlets
Dispel, Mental Breakdown, Zeal

I had friends SB as Sazh with Boon.

Overall I've been lucky enough to have great gear for this battle, but my main suggestion to anybody having trouble is to cast Reflect and Dispel with two separate characters so there's no chance of messing up the timing. Haste is really important too in order to get your healer to heal each member before the next Mega Flare hits. I managed to just take two hits from Mega Flare with the count down at 2 before a third would've happened.

Falk

that puzzling face
WELL

That's one way to win lol

Was the setup above. Totally forgot to put Pencil in the back row, but eh, who cares.

(I don't get why anyone would even bother to bring Curaga for this, honestly. Seems like a huge waste of actions over an AOE heal/regen in one action)

Nohar

WELL

That's one way to win lol

Was the setup above. Totally forgot to put Pencil in the back row, but eh, who cares.

(I don't get why anyone would even bother to bring Curaga for this, honestly. Seems like a huge waste of actions over an AOE heal/regen in one action)

What was your equipment and final set-up?

Yeah, fail on my part. Now I need to find a Yuna or two.

What are your Tellah and Golbez looking like MAG wise with synergy? With or without 5★ rods?

Falk

that puzzling face
3 5* FFIV armor<3

To be honest though, it doesn't matter as long as you survive the first Megaflare (use the chart). My Pencil was taking twice as much damage as necessary because front row (derp), and subsequent Megaflares should never, ever hit for more than 1.6k even without Shellga/SG/Magic Break. (Just have the presence of mind to make everyone defend on 1 count - there's no hurry here) In my case, I didn't actually even bother to use Hymn's second charge because 5* armor.

Hymn of the Fayth healed for ~1.6k (which should set your party up for another Megaflare), plus regen (which should cover a properly back-row'd Draw Fire goon) so you're good to last 3 Megaflares including the initial one.

edit: Picture

edit2: "But Falk of course it works for you, you have like a billion FFIV 5*s now!!!"
Read above, and if FFRKi data shows that this bloke is worth farming I'll redo it without the Gold Hairpins and Polymorph Rod.

edit3: What I probably would do on future runs is boot Pencil, let Golbez Draw Fire and bring in Vanille (lol) to help nuke and cast Reflect. That way he drops even faster and Golbez takes less damage since Dark Bahamut will be busy flaring himself instead of hitting Golbez.

Road

edit2: "But Falk of course it works for you, you have like a billion FFIV 5*s now!!!"
Read above, and if FFRKi data shows that this bloke is worth farming I'll redo it without the Gold Hairpins and Polymorph Rod.

Right now it doesn't look good. 15 runs, 1 MBO (~7%) and 2 GSO (~13%). 15 is low, but the rate is probably below 20% for each.

White Dragon, on the other hand, has 34 runs and 9 GSO (~26%), and for 20 stamina, I'm almost tempted to farm it. I was looking at the FFXIV event and it has many multi target bosses begging for Valefor...

Falk

that puzzling face
Holy shit even with standard deviation from that small sample size White Dragon is far better than Blue Dragon was.

TO THE FARMMOBILE, LADS

Ashodin

this guy didn't even use his aoe attack mang

4p7qRkzl.png

wat

edit: shit I don't even need to bring curaga any more, I just bring protectga and diagagagagagagagaga

Road

Manasvin is a stupid RNG fight, yeah. 40% of MAX HP is just stupid. If it were a Gravity-like 40% of current HP it wouldn't be so bad.

Holy shit even with standard deviation from that small sample size White Dragon is far better than Blue Dragon was.

TO THE FARMMOBILE, LADS

My problem is I rely on Luneth and there are only so many. If we could repeat the battle I could use one Luneth to kill two White Dragons since I only need one Advance per fight. =\

Luneth too stronk, I'm not even trying and I get this (below).

I got two GSO on a row. I should stop while I'm winning....

9EKlwu3tYXM2drHUouP-5vEAB1KT7vUNM9p5w_QfZZNGfnMqZIE21VFhzTYjLAU9U9LJuDxtxHi1UGngwgpT5sti8hbUQFUlaJkr2TwP-IlhkWcrCVzSOcsyTZhSFLw8S6dFk0kcwGWFOZzVzeiA2Siud_XzJ49wtTxX2AgNqChmssIJBiHaxVuNeqVlLBT_-IpzkHoZcjyioxxBPJ-WjL1yCQXJmCyzVnmncv0gn3uv1AuK3B3ByaHQdny1heDquYmyIXD_9ogCjd9K0U3FCTleaVx-MsI32_Am86vzgX8f9_3OY9uwTjhPKD9FlFW_-9quh0ulOxj-_xyam7qSmA1wzldLojwVA1DaIcUZ1uDwnxsFIxW9M_IjSWZJMd-vUB05jtKljBNwNxMD3Z_dFEoomMdyPDRr5Dq1of01DyRbsYQk9ub6sLTbHZooY914Mz8ZNn190EZ1lf7aax_IT4yIpcBrwK88857I_BDkrMxSQpvzPQFAjW1ONyPa0A7hPexLurjsaQNpDkNhfG1gxOfWGRFYdk6dBm1kIKbr7C6N=w350-h869-no

I did my last uncleared FFII elite (vs Imperial Shadow, the attack softcap boost on advance strategies made for an insane 9k damage per hit once setup was done) no double hit RM drop so decided to spend the last of my stamina on an FFII dungeon. Got double hit. My RM2 hunting days finally come to...well not an end but a short break.

LucaMac

Really not that ridiculous at all. I used it as a guide and snuck in reflect because I'm a sucker for a little less headache.and.went in with:

Vivi - Biora R4 Comet R5 (Rodmaster...too afraid of devotions drop in resistance)
Rydia - Valefor R2 Biora R4
Quistis - Magic Breakdown R3 Bioga R2 (haste rm)
Garnett - Protectga R1 Dispel R4
Tellah - Reflect R2 Shellga R2 (haste rm)
and went with Yunas Hymn of the Fayth

Many small mistakes in that set up but still mastered first time. Garnet should have had the haste and I should have given Vivi the Bioga. Magic breakdown didn't need to be cast so quickly at all, in fact it hindered me because my automatic reaction was to get it up and keep it up, but then he was only self flaring for about 6500. Silly me.

When I saw Rubicante in Giant of Babil, Part 1 I said "ok, the elite version goes to my ignore list" and now I see that fucker again in Man in Black +...

No pain, no gain

h5UtnbI.gif

Negator

Four Fiends fight is always awesome, I remember as a kid playing through FF4 that the fight just walled me and I was stuck on it for several days. Good times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom