• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy: Record Keeper |OT| The only ATB here is Active Time Battle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now 3/8 GSO on White Dragon including one regular Summoner Orb. 0/3 on getting anything from Dark Bahamut. Might stick with White Dragon even if Dark Bahamut can drop Major Power Orb.

Sora_N

I've been playing this game a bit.

I got a 5 star weapon last week and somehow it disappeared. I have no idea what happened to it.

I already had to start over once when I got my new phone since my save was lost. :/

Really annoyed my rare weapon is gone though

Azusa

At first I wanted to build advance+retaliate+taunt tyro party but I don\t have advance friends. Zero. And its hard to find them lol. So I read all party posts here and on reddit and created "mega meta" party. As Falk suggested I used Yuna RW for heals and it was enough to stay alive. Sadly my hones aren't great and toward the end of battle I had to auto attack or to use useless default SBs to finish Bahamut.

Tellah started the fight with Hymn of the Fayth, Edgar - Draw Fire and Sazh used Mental Breakdown before my caters started to cast spells. Edgar was a great tank <3 and his Minus Strike did 4k or 5k dmg, if only it was honed at least once. I had to maximise my dmg or else I couldn't finish the boss. I have tried to use magic breakdown after he self-cast flare so he would do full dmg on self. Also Sazh cast Boon somewhere in the middle of the fight and it helped to mitigate the 3rd, I think, megaflare.
41pSsxg.png
RD4VseX.png

Falk

that puzzling face
TIL Edgar has Knight abilities.

I really should refresh my knowledge on character skillsets hahahah.

Also I know I keep saying it, but the difference between ~lv50 and close to capped 65 characters, while not massive in magnitude, is massive in fine balance when you consider fights like this one.

(It's also XP day!)

Is it worth using my growth eggs to get a fairly balanced team of 5 up to as high a level as possible early, or save them for new characters? My party are all lv 28-33 atm.

Is it worth using my growth eggs to get a fairly balanced team of 5 up to as high a level as possible early, or save them for new characters? My party are all lv 28-33 atm.

Don't save them. Build up a solid team of 5 right now and try to make some more progress in the Forbidden Treasure event. Use your tablets to get more eggs to take your team to 50. If you have leftover eggs at that point, then start using them on other characters based upon what event or realm you're working on next.

Don't save them. Build up a solid team of 5 right now and try to make some more progress in the Forbidden Treasure event. Use your tablets to get more eggs to take your team to 50. If you have leftover eggs at that point, then start using them on other characters based upon what event or realm you're working on next.
Thanks. I tried the hard one but don't really have enough damage output yet. Will keep levellling through the classic dungeons and hopefully try again in a day or two.

Falk

that puzzling face
Forbidden Treasure is gone in 8 hours.

If you post your party we could help gauge if it's worth a push and/or possible

Could you also post a picture of your abilities and gear available? Also, you might want to consider making Cloud a part of your core 5 that you plan on leveling. Retaliate strategies will take you pretty far when your gear or abilities are lacking.

Falk

that puzzling face
damn kids these days have a lot of 5* lol

Air Cutter Remora on that Hard event has 50k HP.

Are you running out of abilities, or dying? (And yeah, the hones and orb stash you have will help)

Nohar

Well, I thought I was going to be able to level up Tellah and Golbez to 65 with only the Sunday dungeon, but I was mistaken. I will need to complete with eggs. Meh.

I don't know if I try the Taunt-Advance-taliate tomorrow, or just regular spells... Either way, I will kill that dragon, and just wait for FFXIV's banner for a new (Mythril) x11 pull.

Running out of abilities. I got him down to about 30% hp before he wore me down. Ill try and hone as much as i can and swap Cloud in for Kain? I cant craft 3* spells yet, lacking Black/Wind Orbs :)

Also could try for a particular helper to a summon in for max damage? I went with a defensive support before to mitigate my lack of dedicated healer.

Better screenshot:
imagesgs61.jpg

Well, I thought I was going to be able to level up Tellah and Golbez to 65 with only the Sunday dungeon, but I was mistaken. I will need to complete with eggs. Meh.

I don't know if I try the Taunt-Advance-taliate tomorrow, or just regular spells... Either way, I will kill that dragon, and just wait for FFXIV's banner for a new (Mythril) x11 pull.

I took out Bahamut with a level 55 tyro and a four star rs dagger with this technique, using bioga with golbez and letting Bahamut self flare himself for the non elemental damage. Pretty simple really.

Falk

that puzzling face
Hmm, yeah. Remora's AOE hurts without some form of mitigation. Power Break (3* combat) would have helped here, but if you have to do without, then you have to do without hahahah.

There are a few damage RWs you could try. Vivi's Doublecast Venom -should- hit for more than 10k a pop, which would do more than 20k or more than 40% of its total HP.

You might have to savescum quite a bit if the AOE kills you off before you win, though. (If you didn't know yet, you can close and restart the app to retry the battle without using any additional stamina)

edit: Was about to suggest Berserk which, although making him hit a little harder, takes the AOE move out of the equation. It's a 3* white ability though.

Falk

that puzzling face
Power Break is pretty core, so there's no harm crafting it.

Cuts down incoming physical damage by quite a bit, and hits as hard as Double Cut (in 1 hit instead of 2)

If you stick it on Kain and go with a damage-dealing RW you should be golden, I think.

Definitely craft power break and armor break if you can. If you can make retaliate, I would do that too.

I'm in a dungeon right now so I can't check if there are enemy waves before the boss that those summons would be useful for, but if not, I would consider combining those 3* rods and upgrading them and switching out Rydia for Cloud instead of Kain because of the 4 uses of Jump vs 2 summons, ability to use breaks or double cut, and better survivability. Rydia has a better Mag stat than Golbez, but at such a low level I would probably stick with him as your black mage because of his better defense and health.

If you manage to make both breaks and retaliate then maybe put power/armor break on Firion and give the double cut to Kain since with that 5* weapon Firion will likely hit harder than Cloud will, negating the need for him to trigger retaliate. Cloud should then have retaliate and the other break and your best +Atk gear.

Ive got enough for power break actually, ill craft that one? Can actually do a few of the physical 3*s now.

Craft all the 3* Breaks, yes. Eventually you'll want 4* breakdowns, but that's a long way off for you. Even the 3* Breaks help mitigate damage a good deal, and they also do appreciable damage.

Road

Running out of abilities. I got him down to about 30% hp before he wore me down. Ill try and hone as much as i can and swap Cloud in for Kain? I cant craft 3* spells yet, lacking Black/Wind Orbs :)

Also could try for a particular helper to a summon in for max damage? I went with a defensive support before to mitigate my lack of dedicated healer.

Better screenshot:
[im]http://abload.de/img/imagesgs61.jpg[/img]

Offensive RW are good for starting players, but run away from anyone that has written "Default". (sorry, guys). Look for "Unique" soul breaks. Read their description, look for soul breaks that hit multiple times. Check the boss before entering a dungeon, if it's multiple enemies, look for soul breaks that hit all enemies. Check the official site for elemental weaknesses as well, exploit them with these soul breaks.

Regardless if you can or not beat Aircutter Remora today, you should probably spend the rest of the day leveling up your party on the XP dungeon

Shahadan

I think I'll put Edward as my roaming warrior since I got his weapon. I don't care about gils but I guess it could help some people.
I don't know why people keep summoning my old Rinoa though :lol:

These dragons are really proving how far behind I am on hones. I spread myself too thin. I think what I'll try next is having Eiko as my healer, but put her in magic gear and give her Requiem for offense. It doesn't have the highest multiplier, but I only have one honed up Biora and only rank 2 Comet and rank 1 Maduin, so these super non-elemental mage party is hard for me to put together.

Wait so if we are getting the FFXIV event way earlier than Japan doesn't that mean we are going to have a tough time on it due to worse hones and equipment? Or is the real reason for the character buffs and softcap boost happening quite a bit earlier than Japan?

I think I'll put Edward as my roaming warrior since I got his weapon. I don't care about gils but I guess it could help some people.
I don't know why people keep summoning my old Rinoa though :lol:
Angel Wing bolt? With the fact it can be made to target all on the same target now (rather than hit 3 at random) it is better than ever given quite a few bosses are weak to lighting.

Fabled Song isn't bad but most would prefer boon or lunatic high I imagine. As nice as AoE strong regen is it is no AoE haste. But you take what you have sometimes and I can't see many of that RW existing.

Falk

that puzzling face
Wait so if we are getting the FFXIV event way earlier than Japan doesn't that mean we are going to have a tough time on it due to worse hones and equipment? Or is the real reason for the character buffs and softcap boost happening quite a bit earlier than Japan?

Nope. Remember, regardless of MC2s and SSBs etc, this was the first FFXIV event, and people didn't really have much RS yet (remember the first FFVIII or FFIX events lolo)

It has a boss rush and a superboss, but no +++.

I believe the superboss follows the new convention of being lv110 (rather than 99 prior to Golbez event) but that's really just a meaningless number (stats matter more) and the tuning should be in the ballpark of all the ++s we've had so far.

If it remains unchanged, Ifrit has ~160k HP, and the other shit in the fight when you get him really low has ~20k HP. (You have to burst these down or probably KO)

Managed to get real close to downing it, but after a couple more attempts of it using the AOE too often decided to use my last stamina for today on a few extra dungeons.

Still pretty happy with my event progress this first week. Got Tellah, Golbez and the memory crystal for the former. Feel much better equipped for whatever new events come next - thanks for all the pointers GAF!

Managed to get real close to downing it, but after a couple more attempts of it using the AOE too often decided to use my last stamina for today on a few extra dungeons.

Still pretty happy with my event progress this first week. Got Tellah, Golbez and the memory crystal for the former. Feel much better equipped for whatever new events come next - thanks for all the pointers GAF!

It's a bit late now, but did you try a retaliate setup?

The general idea is take your strongest Samurai-capable character (Cloud, in most cases), stick your strongest weapon on him (for most things, a synergy weapon, but for the forbidden event it would've been just your strongest sword), take someone like Wakka who can mount Boost (1* attack buff) and Armor Break (3* defense down), two other guys who can mount Double Cut, and a white mage type character for mitigation. There's fancier ways of doing it, but that's the general idea - boost your Retaliator's attack sky-high, and then use Double Cut on him to make him swing for a bunch of times in a single "party turn" and do tons of damage all at once.

It's a really nice setup because it requires "good" gear on only really one character (Cloud/your retaliator) - everyone else's weapons basically go unused. It will easily let you beat things that otherwise might be out of reach. And ultimately it requires very low-level skills as well - Boost is a freaking one-star, and even Retaliate is 2*. Armor Break's a little tougher for very new players, but still not out of reach.

Forbidden Treasure disappears in like five minutes, so it's a bit late to get the eggs now, but it's something to keep in mind for the rest of the Golbez event and going forward!

Nah, it's a relatively easy event - Japanese players remarked on it being pretty simple. It's likely it was designed in part with being pushed forward for us in mind.

It's a pretty short event, too, so it shouldn't be too difficult to clear. The only place it gets hard is at Gyges the Great - he's got a pretty fair amount of HP, but if you can clear a heroic daily, you can beat him. The boss rush is like other boss rushes we've faced to date. Make sure to bring some burst damage for Ifrit's Infernal Nail, though!

Are people super excited for the XIV event because the relics/characters are really good or because they just love XIV? I haven't looked at anything with regards to the banner and I've never played XIV, though I'd like to.

Kenai

Are people super excited for the XIV event because the relics/characters are really good or because they just love XIV? I haven't looked at anything with regards to the banner and I've never played XIV, though I'd like to.

Both!

XIV (like 11) has the potential for a lot of diverse characters, and since it's still getting regular updates (unlike FF11 or the single player games) the chances for new characters we don't know about yet are a bit more exciting to me (though I expect to see Yda, Papalymo the twins, and Urianger at the forefront). I am quite a FFXIV player and I love the game (even if it has flaws, the strengths are SO good).

This is bad, guys. I'm completely losing all interest in this game, but I've spent so much time on it :(

Be thankful for the nostalgia blast and the good time you had and move on. Time is a finite resource, no point spending some more because you invested a lot before. Also, the game will still be there if you ever miss it. Always a bit sad to lose people from this community, but I understand why people quit.

If you decide to quit, make sure that you set it to a great RW if you have one, you will live forever through mutual followers!

:)

Both!

XIV (like 11) has the potential for a lot of diverse characters, and since it's still getting regular updates (unlike FF11 or the single player games) the chances for new characters we don't know about yet are a bit more exciting to me (though I expect to see Yda, Papalymo the twins, and Urianger at the forefront). I am quite a FFXIV player and I love the game (even if it has flaws, the strengths are SO good).

I would really like to play it as I've always been a huge FF nut (I own 4 Playstation 2's and 2 PSone's because of FF lol) but I can't bring myself to pay for a game just to pay again for it every month. I have enough bills as it is. Same reason I really wanted to play FFXI but never did.

Falk

that puzzling face
This is bad, guys. I'm completely losing all interest in this game, but I've spent so much time on it :(

If you think about it, at some deterministic point in the future you're going to have quit the game anyway, even if it's from the game finally discontinuing (online games lol) and at that point you're still going to look back and say to yourself 'damn, I spent a lot of time on it'.

In other words, having spent so much time on something ultimately isn't that big of a deal and is irrelevant to quitting when you think you're done.

The daily common draw refreshed with the dungeon update (actually it refreshes whenever they add anything to it) so you can pull again now with slightly higher odds of a 5* at 0.121% catching up to 4*s who have 0.135% (such is the power of so many 5* relics existing the 5* odds were around 1/10th of that back when the game launched).

Huh what, I thought the datamining was blocked
It still spits out the %s odds for each tier (which is likely a remnant from the Japanese client where these are visible but I believe rounded). What it no longer does is gives you any % info on the individual items themselves.

It's a bit late now, but did you try a retaliate setup?

The general idea is take your strongest Samurai-capable character (Cloud, in most cases), stick your strongest weapon on him (for most things, a synergy weapon, but for the forbidden event it would've been just your strongest sword), take someone like Wakka who can mount Boost (1* attack buff) and Armor Break (3* defense down), two other guys who can mount Double Cut, and a white mage type character for mitigation. There's fancier ways of doing it, but that's the general idea - boost your Retaliator's attack sky-high, and then use Double Cut on him to make him swing for a bunch of times in a single "party turn" and do tons of damage all at once.

It's a really nice setup because it requires "good" gear on only really one character (Cloud/your retaliator) - everyone else's weapons basically go unused. It will easily let you beat things that otherwise might be out of reach. And ultimately it requires very low-level skills as well - Boost is a freaking one-star, and even Retaliate is 2*. Armor Break's a little tougher for very new players, but still not out of reach.

Forbidden Treasure disappears in like five minutes, so it's a bit late to get the eggs now, but it's something to keep in mind for the rest of the Golbez event and going forward!

Thanks for this great advice. I have started levelling Cloud this morning, i need to farm a couple lesser power orbs to get Retaliate and Hone both that skill at Double Cut - any tips for a good location? I don't have Wakka above lv.10 but I assume either Firion or Kane should do the job too.
I'm away on holiday from Thursday but i'll try this out and can maybe get a couple extra stages from the Golbez event cleared. Would be awesome to get his memory crystal but probably a step too much at this stage looking at the difficulty rating (70!).

Also managed to get a couple 3* magics this morning - Thundaga and Blizzaga. Getting there!

Falk

that puzzling face
Tuesday is "Black/Power" daily, and as its name suggests, probably the best place right now to get those two flavors of orbs on a sustained basis. Clearing them out at least once also gives a one-time clear/mastery reward.

MicH

What in the world... I just woke up to 15 new followers. The only thing I did was switch back to Hymn of the Fayth. I guess that's a sought after RW for Dark Bahamut? Crazy though. Didn't post my code anywhere.

Also, I got Gordon's RM2 in the very first fight I brought him too :lol DAMN YOU KOSEF

Falk

that puzzling face
I'm guessing anyone who's digging in for farming Dark Bahamut for the rest of the duration would be exchanging Hymn RW friend codes they have with each other.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom