• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy: Record Keeper |OT| The only ATB here is Active Time Battle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nohar

Frankly, with the Orb Festival who is going to be available soon-ish, I don't see the point in farming D.Bahamut. Farming bosses for a (quite low) chance of getting an orb sounds really unefficient to me, especially since we know that we will get orb conversion at one point in the future. There are better ways to spend your stamina (and we just got a new batch of dungeons).

Razmos

I was just thinking that it would have been much cooler if characters had innate bonuses for using certain weapons, rather than doing it through Record Materia like they have done.

Cloud would get a 10% bonus for using a sword, Rinoa would get a 10% bonus for using a throwing weapon, Rydia would get a bonus for using whips, Vivi with a rod, ect ect.

It feels quite satisfying to be using a weapon type that the character uses in the original game and it is a shame that it isn't reflected in gameplay (with the exception of unique soul break equipment)

Falk

that puzzling face
Frankly, with the Orb Festival who is going to be available soon-ish, I don't see the point in farming D.Bahamut. Farming bosses for a (quite low) chance of getting an orb sounds really unefficient to me, especially since we know that we will get orb conversion at one point in the future. There are better ways to spend your stamina (and we just got a new batch of dungeons).

Having worked out the exact stamina costs of paintings, projected stamina costs of all upcoming events (dates of which have been datamined) vs how much stamina I'll have minus how much wastage I have a day (lots lol), there's still some leftover that I might as well put into Dark Bahamut and then finish off Elite paintings after the event is done.

5*s, especially Black, are still going to be quite a pain for a while. so extra stamina to burn, I'd rather put it into chances at more 5*s than farming dailies, since like you said we're going to be overflowing with 3* orbs come Orb Dungeon.

Nohar

Hum. Oh well, why not, but with so low odds of getting a 5* I'm not convinced it is the wisest course of action. As for the Orb Festival, both 4* and 5* can drop (for a much lower stamina cost and slightly better odds; like everything else in the game, this is RNG-heavy), that's why I mentioned it (not for the 3*).

Also added tons of Luneth users to my Friend List. I hope that some of them will follow me back.

I want the FFXIV banner now... I have a lot of upgrade materials to burn. I also wish I could get Thancred's weapon, but I'm not fooling myself: the gacha loves to troll me.

MicH

I want to pull on the XIV banner, but I also need to save mythril for the glorious orb fest. I might do one 11-pull on the XIV banner if I can gather enough mythril (currently at 15). If I can't then I'll do a three pull it two and save everything else for orb fest

Nohar

I want to pull on the XIV banner, but I also need to save mythril for the glorious orb fest. I might do one 11-pull on the XIV banner if I can gather enough mythril (currently at 15). If I can't then I'll do a three pull it two and save everything else for orb fest

Sitting on 226 Mythril ATM. I need 350 in order to do seven 11x pull for the banners I want (one 11x pull for each banner: FFXIV, Organix, Vega, Squall's SSB, Eiko Flute*, Lulu's Hairpin, Linoa's SSB). We are getting roughly 100 Mythril per month (well, more than 100 actually), so I should have plenty for what I want, including for stamina refreshes once the orb dungeon is up (though I don't know yet how many Mythril I should and will spend on that one). You should have way enough Mythril for the Orb dungeon by the time it is up.

And no words about the gacha improvement. But I've decided to forget about it and stick to my plan.

* That banner has no less than 5 mage weapons (2 rods, 2 staves, including one which will have both high MAG and MND since it is Garnet's, 1 instrument), 2 swords and 1 light armor. Eiko's SB is AoE Heal + Hastega. Simply put, it is amazing, and definitly worth hoarding Mythril for (while keeping in mind that the gacha hates us of course... or at least me. I want new character specific weapons).

Entropia

No One Remembers
I've been so far behind on this game. I basically do the banner events up to mid-way through the heroic/second part (i.e. getting Tellah and Golbez's break level cap crystal) and then I can do some of the regular dungeons before another banner event pops up!

I don't think I touched the last round of dungeons.

Red Mage

I have 50 mythril for XIV, and plan on spending another 30 for the orb fest. ^_~

Falk

that puzzling face
I think preparing for Dark Bahamut broke the game for me as far as paintings go.

"Be careful! This boss is absor..."

"shut up and eat poison/non-elemental mage meta"

Rinse repeat. Not to mention Valefor+Meteor+Diaga+Bioga all recharging makes every stage before the boss pretty much a zero-sum as far as ability counts go.

What's the 'Orb Fest' you guys are speaking about? I looked on the wiki linked in the OP and saw some details of the upcoming events and relic draws but couldn't see that mentioned.

I think preparing for Dark Bahamut broke the game for me as far as paintings go.

"Be careful! This boss is absor..."

"shut up and eat poison/non-elemental mage meta"

Rinse repeat. Not to mention Valefor+Meteor+Diaga+Bioga all recharging makes every stage before the boss pretty much a zero-sum as far as ability counts go.

It's pretty ridiculous. Throw in the polymorph rod recharging one of these abilities per character and it makes for an easy time of things. Valefor said and meteors for everyone. Poor bladeblitz!

This polymorph rod was really undersold, I'm very pleased that I have it. My skills are pretty highly honed as is, but the polymorph rod really allows for a lot of leeway in ability useage, so long as tellah is getting in a wack at each round of enemies to charge it. Considering his ability set and stats, I don't foresee tellah leaving my party except under very unusual circumstances.

Kenai

I would really like to play it as I've always been a huge FF nut (I own 4 Playstation 2's and 2 PSone's because of FF lol) but I can't bring myself to pay for a game just to pay again for it every month. I have enough bills as it is. Same reason I really wanted to play FFXI but never did.

I understand. FFXIV has actually saved me a fair bit of money though since I'd spend that $10 per month somewhere else easily if I weren't playing it lol. I bounce between it, GW2, League of Legends, this, and my backlog/local multiplayer games, so i always have something to do (though i get behind a lot since I work a fair amount too).

It's also the kind of game where a lot of people treat it like a single player: they work their way through the story (and do whatever else they want) and if they stop being interested they unsub til there's more added. Content patches every 3 months almost always have a continuation of the main story and the main story is pretty legit, especially in the expansion.

FF11 was a HUGE timesink back in the day when i played for ~5 years before I picked up WoW in 2008ish, but they are wrapping that game up, finishing the story with the final expansion, and converting it to free to play. It's got 5 or 6 or something expansions behind it so there's a lot of content if you wanna poke through it sometime, I heard they made it much more solo friendly after i left.

What's the 'Orb Fest' you guys are speaking about? I looked on the wiki linked in the OP and saw some details of the upcoming events and relic draws but couldn't see that mentioned.

I use this site to keep track of all upcoming events: http://ffrk.kongbakpao.com/events/

Orb Fest is gonna be your best bet for 4* orbs for a long time so people at that stage where they need a lot of them are planning on saving mythril to recharge stamina for farming it. There'll also be a fair amount of 5* orbs and this will be the first time you can farm those at all since I have been playing at least.

I use this site to keep track of all upcoming events: http://ffrk.kongbakpao.com/events/

Orb Fest is gonna be your best bet for 4* orbs for a long time so people at that stage where they need a lot of them are planning on saving mythril to recharge stamina for farming it. There'll also be a fair amount of 5* orbs and this will be the first time you can farm those at all since I have been playing at least.
Sweet cheers, there wasn't a date next to that one but could assume mid-late October then based on schedule?

Sorry for all the questions, i've dived quite deep into it over the weekend but still loads to learn!

Kenai

Sweet cheers, there wasn't a date next to that one but could assume mid-late October then based on schedule?

Sorry for all the questions, i've dived quite deep into it over the weekend but still loads to learn!

They don't really know what the dates are unless they are actually on the banner datamine, but there's no more than 2-3 events running at once so they assume new events are about a week apart. Mid-late Oct would be a good guess I think.

Road

I want to do the new dungeons but White Dragon doesn't stop giving me GSO. Today, I got 3 out of 6. Overall, I have 6 out of 15. The funny thing is I have gotten 0 SO, only GSO.

Random, the new 5* samurai skill Japan has the best (cliche) animation so far: https://youtu.be/IoYRO2zrPeQ?t=20

Meier

This is bad, guys. I'm completely losing all interest in this game, but I've spent so much time on it :(

I just hope you haven't spent any money. If you haven't, just walk away. That's why I don't spend cash on mobile games. They're single player experiences that are about as deep as a puddle -- eventually, like a puddle, the interest dries up. If you've invested nothing but time in it, it's easy to move on to the next diversion. I suggest Alphabear if you haven't played it.

I just hope you haven't spent any money. If you haven't, just walk away. That's why I don't spend cash on mobile games. They're single player experiences that are about as deep as a puddle -- eventually, like a puddle, the interest dries up. If you've invested nothing but time in it, it's easy to move on to the next diversion. I suggest Alphabear if you haven't played it.
Even if he has, it's okay. How many stupid $1 apps have we all bought. This game has given him X amount of hours. Hopefully, X > how much money he's spent

I was wondering why Tyro was hitting so poorly in these FFV dungeons then I notice his equipment. Fencing Sabre++...forgot to change it from the FFX dungeons.

Urg... Those out-of-range bosses are really annoying.
I saw that. Over 70 stamina, no shard and it has ranged bosses. I know I have to beat it sometime (to unlock other dungeons) but yeah I'm putting it off at least until more info of what i'm getting myself into.

Having a look ahead it seems number of dungeons added to a dungeon update decrease as time goes on. While it is 10 dungeons now the last four in Japan have had 7 dungeons.

But it still a nice rule of thumb and a majority of the mythril is not from dungeons anyway but a dip should be expected due to catching up with content.

elty

Am I reading this right?

- range only boss
- no weakness
- absorb lightening
- 80K+ HP in classic
- have to fight twice

So even if I can hit 9999 damage per 4* spell, I still need a total of 17 cast to kill it.

I guess it is time to hone waterja and diaga.

I am thinking
tyro = retaliate + slowga
mage 1 = fireja rk2 + faith
mage 2 = waterja rk3 + bioga rk2
wm 1 = curaga + protectga
wm 2 = shellga + diaga rk3

RW: SG? Mog?

Am I reading this right?

- range only boss
- no weakness
- absorb lightening
- 80K+ HP in classic
- have to fight twice

So even if I can hit 9999 damage per 4* spell, I still need a total of 17 cast to kill it.

I am thinking

It goes down quickly on classic,,haven't tried elite yet.

Granted, I have vega and the xiii gun, so everyone is in the back row.

Light using launch and armor break
Sazh using 2 breakdowns
White summoner valefor and Shellga
Black Mage with two r3 4 star spells
White Mage with curaja and diaga

I would use one if the hasteaga twins and swap out the ability for the other.

Edit: just took out purbulos elite, the first v battle. I used shadow flare rw to blind all but one of the bombs while I used silencga on one of the bombs. Then meteor valefor and shadow flare and they were all dead. One had self destructed and was resurrected, so I just silenced him and took him out easily. I just have Shellga out and the self destruct won't do much to you, blinding means virtually no physical,attacks land.

Faithless

Did you beat all the previous classic dungeons? The new ones start with FFX, details are here https://www.reddit.com/r/FFRecordKeeper/comments/3kuo1x/9th_dungeon_update_stamina_record_materia/

Hmm. Here's what I have in Final Fantasy X. No new dungeons.
cmEHW1Xl.png

This happened the other day, could it be related?
Y96abeOl.png

johnsmith

remember me
The last dungeon update finished with FF5 in Ronka Ruins 2, did you clear that? I think I got a similar error once, but just closing out the app and reopening it fixed it for me.

Falk

that puzzling face
Am I reading this right?

- range only boss
- no weakness
- absorb lightening
- 80K+ HP in classic
- have to fight twice

I am thinking

Don't forget 2 black magic, 1 (or 2) summons and Diaga all recharge once.

RW should almost undoubtedly be Lunatic High.

Also Faith was, is and forever will be a red herring when Mental Breakdown increases damage done by the entire magic contingent by a larger multiplier, in one action. (Unless you're stacking the use of both on some ungodly RES boss)

Balphon

Don't forget 2 black magic, 1 (or 2) summons and Diaga all recharge once.

RW should almost undoubtedly be Lunatic High.

Also Faith was, is and forever will be a red herring when Mental Breakdown increases damage done by the entire magic contingent by a larger multiplier, in one action. (Unless you're stacking the use of both on some ungodly RES boss)

But then I'd have to create Mental Breakdown.

Nohar

You can combine Faith and Mental Breakdown to maximise damage. I would hardly call that a red herring. Also, Mental Breakdown can be resisted, lowering its impact.

Now, I agree, Mental Breakdown is more practical, but it requires you to bring a 4* Support ability user (personally, I still miss a good ranged weapon).

Overall, I think that both are good and work well together, especially against bosses with no weaknesses (or ungodly RES, as you put it).

And Eiko reached level 65. Time to switch her with Aerith.

A question for Droid4x users: sometimes my game runs incredibly smoothly, but more often than not the FPS is not perfect during fights. Any idea on how to be sure to keep a perfect FPS? It really is weird that sometimes the game decides to run so smoothly when more often than not it doesn't, and I would love to make that smooth FPS permanent.

Falk

that puzzling face
(This is with the caveat you have 3 black and 1 white rod (interchangeable with red rods) with a leeway of possibly 1 black/white freebie from events usually being better anyway e.g. Stardust Rod FFIX, Flail FFVIII, etc)

In my experience:

- Take Wakka or Sazh or Irvine or Fran or Gordon or whoever has synergy (They're all almost virtually interchangeable)
- Give support person some shitty 4* RS knife because I have no ranged weapons (Or, well, PSICOM rifle in XIII)
- Power/Magic Breakdown in slot 1, Mental Breakdown in slot 2, Zeal/Sky Pirate's Pride
- Cycle defensive breakdown, mental breakdown, attack (or defend), repeat this 3-turn cycle

This keeps almost perfect 2x Breakdown uptime. I stick support person in the back row regardless of melee weapon - he's not even there to DPS.

Mental Breakdown + -ja/Meteor/Valefor will virtually always guarantee 9999, and in my experience at the very least 8.5k on Break resistant bosses.

You can spend an action casting Faith to push that to 9999 for 2-3 spells for a net gain of maybe 4k across those turns on break resistant bosses, or cast another spell and do another 8.5k.

The thing to remember about mage meta v bosses is most of them will die in ~8 turns. (3.5 people doing 8.5k a turn = ~240k damage done). This means that if you somehow get a combination close to that and make sure everyone has 8 shots of 4* spells, the boss is simply going to die in 8 turns.

I have:
r4 Valefor
r2 Phoenix
r4 Ramuh
r1 Meteor
r3 Bioga
r3 Waterja
r2 Firaja
r2 Thundaja
r1 Diaga (lol)

It's exceedingly easy to setup 3 casters to have 8 shots each, with buffer coming from 2 r4 comets, 1 r4 Biora which hit for ~5k (Okay, so boss dies in slightly over 8 turns instead) and/or take into account AOE considerations, vulnerability/absorbtion considerations, etc. You can also balance them to do equal damage by juggling around Devotion, Rod Master, Impetuous Youth, etc.

Like I said on the previous page, prepping for Dark Bahamut broke the rest of the game as it is right now lol.

Faith's usefulness is bumped right now if:
- used in conjunction with Lunatic High/Boon, hence getting more mileage out of the action used casting Faith instead of another damage spell
- you don't have enough 5* rods as a non-synergy base and are hitting for 7k or less with -ja spells
- you need to prepare in advance for massive burst
- boss has insane resist and/or Break Resistance and you're hitting for 7k pre-Faith (as with above point)
- used on Meteor guy for AOE situations (applying Magic Breakdown to all mobs one by one are as inefficient in this case as casting faith on many party members in a single target situation)

Faith's usefulness will also skyrocket once the 9999 cap is lifted. (God knows when)

^ Is Flare/Bahamut not really worth it then? I'm months away from this stuff but had a look at the later spells already.

Also, does the game auto-save to the cloud? I'm using iOS, and always paranoid about losing save data!

Nohar

^ Is Flare/Bahamut not really worth it then? I'm months away from this stuff but had a look at the later spells already.

Also, does the game auto-save to the cloud? I'm using iOS, and always paranoid about losing save data!

Both Flare and Bahamut are impossible to hone at the moment, severily limiting their usefulness. What's more, they require Major Orbs which are needed by other abilities which are considered more useful (such as Full Break and Meteor). Finally, these abilities will hit the 9999 cap damage: if they could go beyond that cap, they would be more interesting, but the present state of the game you will certainly find -aja spells more useful, simply because you can hone them, exploit weaknesses and more often than not hit the damage cap with them. Waterja in particular is especially interesting, since most bosses don't resist or absorb Water, and it is easier to hone than other -aja spells.

Long story short: ignore Flare and Bahamut.

MicH

I think most people are going to create/hone Meteor (black, non-elemantal, fire, earth), Full Break (power, lightning, ice), Valefor (wind) and Alexander (holy) as they have no overlap in Major orb usage

Falk

that puzzling face
Yeh, in the very long term (we're talking 6 months ahead of where Global is, because JP version is pretty much a detailed roadmap) there's a Holy Trinity of 5* abiltiies - Meteor, Valefor, Full Break that don't step on each other's toes in terms of requirements.

I suspect Flare will have its luster restored when 9999 cap is lifted and I suspect Ultima will be AOE 12x or less (12x is the multiplier Flare has).

p.s. practical application of my meandering ramble above:

GILGAMESH

(boss RES at dLvl120 dungeon is getting respectable, although Quistis (lol) with Devotion was still hitting for 9999)

Swapped in Quistis and her shitty MAG stat over Tellah because I felt I needed both Power and Magic Breakdown. Didn't heal at all and Gilgamesh died on turn ~7 (Vivi had 2 casts of Bioga remaining, after using Focus to brute force through the Shell Gilgamesh gets at low HP). I want to say I could have swapped Curaga out for Dispel, but it did help top up during trash waves. All 3892478932749 of them.

Also they fixed the crash bug! Vivi's memory crystal turned into a greater egg instead of crashing the game like Wakka's.

edit: Regarding autosaves, as far as we can tell, everything saves to the cloud, but account management is rather finicky and instead of an actual login system, accounts are tied to device, and can be linked to Game Center or Google Play (or facebook/one-time-code for cross-compatibility) Linking your account to Game Center or Google Play will allow you to sync your data to another device with the same Game Center or Google Play information. For whatever reason it's practically impossible to unlink devices that have been linked to the same Game Center/Google Play resulting in a lot of really silly account overwritten cases DeNA whyyyyy

I don't think there is anything worse than doing a 50 mythril relic pull and not getting a 5 star relic...

It's happened to me three times so far, I haven't gotten a unique skill break since tidus's second appearance (two uniques, dark Cecil's darkness and Tudus's sphere break). It is very disappointing.

Razmos

My next classic dungeon is the one with Archeoaevis as the boss, I'm looking up how to beat it and jesus that's daunting. I'll try it and probably beat it, but it sounds awfully complicated

Nohar

I don't think there is anything worse than doing a 50 mythril relic pull and not getting a 5 star relic...

It's happened to me three times so far, I haven't gotten a unique skill break since tidus's second appearance (two uniques, dark Cecil's darkness and Tudus's sphere break). It is very disappointing.

Welcome to the club. I hope that I will get something interesting for the FFXIV banner. I'm still a little salty after my all 3* 11x pull fom the relic celebration...

I haven't played in a couple of days, and I'm trying to decide whether or not to do the boss rush or just clear paintings.

Probably leaning towards the latter.

Oh man I managed to mess up the really simple* Purobolos fight three times in a row. I thought "won't self destruct do less damage if I hurt them first" and I went a bit far on that part and since some had blown up those ones got resurrected.

On the other hand when I did succeed the new medal requirements meant I took no damage medal despite five of them blowing up in my face (last one was silenced and given a taste of magic).

*-No seriously, let them all self destruct and if you're still standing you win.

I haven't played in a couple of days, and I'm trying to decide whether or not to do the boss rush or just clear paintings.

Probably leaning towards the latter.
Dungeons are getting pretty expensive now

Dungeons are getting pretty expensive now

I'm not caught up in classics yet, so I'm still gotta do those, and I'm also way behind in Elites. Like, the only elites I've cleared are the initial set, and random ones where the boss was just in an event, or I did it for the MC

Although today is black orb day so...

I'm not caught up in classics yet, so I'm still gotta do those, and I'm also way behind in Elites. Like, the only elites I've cleared are the initial set, and random ones where the boss was just in an event, or I did it for the MC

Although today is black orb day so...

Yeah i'm starting to get to a point now where its a juggling act trying to keep progressing through the paintings and get the most out of the events. Can clear Hard events now at least though, progress!

Also looks like I finally made a good choice for my roaming warrior. Tellah + Font of Wisdom which I was so lucky to get on my first draw has netted me 30 followers so far today. Seems like a popular option.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom