• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy: Record Keeper |OT| The only ATB here is Active Time Battle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

broz0rs

Good call on the AOEs - I didn't think about that. I'm almost tempted to put Meteorite on (or something equally worthless) for a few days to try to get some of these random Cloud Sonic Break and Tyro Judgement Grimoires to stop taking up space on my followers list, but I don't know that it will actually work.

I have Cloud with Meteorite on my alt account and I get a decent amount of gil and follows from new players. Not trying to troll because it's really the only non-default SB I have on that account. What's even more ridiculous is I actually make less on my main account that has Sazh with Boon. Sad

MicH

I've started playing around with the JP version for fun. The new UI can be quite confusing when you don't understand Japanese :p So many rewards for everything though. The V event gives out 5 characters, 3 MC and 1 MC2 which is crazy

Still pretty excited over managing to get both of Y'shtola's soul breaks. I did two other 11-pulls (one before and one after), and only got the 5* rod on those others. The game loves giving me support SBs, as I have no unique offensive SBs, but was blessed on the support end with Boon, Stoneskin II, Medica II, and Font of Wisdom. Can't wait for those RM3s that let the user start off with a soul break charge. It's gonna be tons of fun.

The FFXIV dungeon was pretty fun; the bosses all had some interesting mechanics and nice animations/dialog. Kinda like having a smaller number of more intricate levels in an event. Shame they make you wait for the Event Quests, though. That part's a bit lame.

Falk

that puzzling face
I've started playing around with the JP version for fun. The new UI can be quite confusing when you don't understand Japanese :p So many rewards for everything though. The V event gives out 5 characters, 3 MC and 1 MC2 which is crazy

That's pretty much standard fare in Japan. I mean when the rate of events are constant but you have an ever increasing roster and ever increasing number of MCs, that's essentially what has to happen.

Same deal with SB equipment. That's why it got bumped to 2 banners per event.

What's even more ridiculous is I actually make less on my main account that has Sazh with Boon. Sad

lol, wow, that's, uh, something else. I was about to suggest some default or free SBs that would be infinitely more useful, but after reading that it seems like you're better off just leaving it. It has to be brand new players who don't know any better and just see Cloud and the name of the Soul Break and assume it's actually going to be something that's not total ass.

This game has got its hooks on me - im on holiday in Lisbon and still making time to play as much as possible :/

Not sure if i want to do any relic draws this time. Is the upcoming FF7 one supposed to be good?

Kenai

I'm probably going to switch my RW over to Thancred's Dancing Edge myself.

Go team Thancred.

*Hi5 Team Thancred*

His kit is kinda eh now but those new Celerity and NIN skills coming should fix that. Thankfully Dismiss is pretty soon. Using Rallying in the meantime

Balphon

Damn you caught my edit, I meant Celerity, specifically Dismissal.

His ability set is a bit all over the place but Dismissal and Dual Delay should suit him really well. His equipment spread is great, too. If he had one more star in Support he'd be ridiculous, though with Yoshimitsu he's basically packing Armor Breakdown anyway.

MicH

Damn you caught my edit, I meant Celerity, specifically Dismissal.
Ah, okay.

His skillset is really weird to me and I don't think I'll ever really use him after this event. The upcoming Celerity abilities help a bit, but eh.. As Balphon said, 4* support would have helped him out immensely.

Falk

that puzzling face
This game has got its hooks on me - im on holiday in Lisbon and still making time to play as much as possible :/

Not sure if i want to do any relic draws this time. Is the upcoming FF7 one supposed to be good?

Mid-term, I think you really want to attempt to get some 5*s of every realm. Even one or two offensive weapons per realm will let you generally build around those to have an easier time with bosses or hard paintings where trash starts to become problematic.

Short-term though, when starting off (which honestly is where you're at) virtually every 3* and 4* is an upgrade if you use it in its realm due to Synergy bonus, and those are pretty much the same ~90% pool regardless of the featured items on a banner, so I don't think any one banner is significantly better than another if that 90% are all usable upgrades. If you need to gear up, pull.

If you're feeling lucky though and don't generally have critical gear issues, definitely save and aim for realms in which you think you're lacking, because one or two 5*s if you jackpot pretty much jumps your power level for that realm significantly.

PixyJunket is like the role model of saving hahaha, he was sitting on I believe 400+ Mythril until Soul Break fest came about?

Kenai

His ability set is a bit all over the place but Dismissal and Dual Delay should suit him really well. His equipment spread is great, too. If he had one more star in Support he'd be ridiculous.

He really would be lol. But Y'shtola needed something to do besides be a Thyrus/Medca 2 bot I guess

For those who dunno what Dismissal does (I'll spoiler it) it
does damage + roughly 25% chance to reset the enemy's ATB gauge. Nothing is "immune" to it either (sans possibly anti melee bosses, not sure if it counts as melee), so 2-3 people on your team spamming it can make for some incredible boss cheesing

Will be a long time on those NIN abilities though :(

Ah, okay.

His skillset is really weird to me and I don't think I'll ever really use him after this event. The upcoming Celerity abilities help a bit, but eh.. As Balphon said, 4* support would have helped him out immensely.

Do not underestimate Dismissal cheesing.

MicH

Do not underestimate Dismissal cheesing.
Even if I were to use that ability I'd rather use someone else (probably a Celerity user with synergy). As of right now he's pretty useless to me, though I can see why he would be amazing if you got his relics

PixyJunket is like the role model of saving hahaha, he was sitting on I believe 400+ Mythril until Soul Break fest came about?

I wish I had that level of restraint. I had all of these plans on saving mythril for the orb fest... I'm currently sitting on 2 mythril and debating on doing another couple of pulls on this XIV banner. That goddamned staff looks so good.

Kenai

Even if I were to use that ability I'd rather use someone else (probably a Celerity user with synergy). As of right now he's pretty useless to me, though I can see why he would be amazing if you got his relics

This is true (and I did get his relics) but right now we only have a handful of people in the game that can use 4* Celerity at all. Including Tyro, we have Locke (with no crystal yet), Tidus, Baltheir, Fran, Thancred, and upcoming Zack. Not much synergy.

This is also the kind of ability you want to 'stack" to have it work reliably. Part of the reason it's so good is because it works on basically any boss so you can use it if you don't have the skills honed/synergy boosts for other viable methods.

Wazzy

Banned
Damn someone got to 400 mythril? I mean, I'm hoping for that when VIII banners come but that's a lot of restraint lol I'm currently at 290 and still need to complete Golbez event.

broz0rs

question about experience points

when a character reaches level cap and he/she is in the party, does the experience points gets distributed to the four remaining characters or to five characters? (the capped character wasting exp)

Shahadan

question about experience points

when a character reaches level cap and he/she is in the party, does the experience points gets distributed to the four remaining characters or to five characters? (the capped character wasting exp)

He's wasting your precious exp. Bench him immediately D:

Meier

Thar she blows

17 7* items
28 6* items
55 5* items

jesus

Lol. Claims he's only spent $700. Someone did the math to show how incredibly unlikely that is: https://www.reddit.com/r/FFRecordKeeper/comments/3lfqjc/i_am_the_hype/cv66ljk. I guess there's someone named Fairy Kid who has spent over $5,000 and has 1 more 5* item than this guy.. so it's pretty clear he's full of shit about $700.

God, the concept of spending $700 on this game is just so patently absurd.. yikes.

MicH

Doing the highest difficulty level FFV dungeon... All enemies that are immune to earth need to GO AWAY. The trash mobs are the worst part! Gilgamesh went down extremely easy

This has probalby been posted before, but I've been noticing for a while that some attacks show the hit to the enemy's hp bar and then a slight pause and then a smudge more coming off. I just realized that this is the rms such as pugilist or soldier or sniper ticking off a little additional hp. Or at least that is what is appears to me. If so, I wonder why it's animated like that and not one larger hp chunk taken in one animation.

Balphon

This has probalby been posted before, but I've been noticing for a while that some attacks show the hit to the enemy's hp bar and then a slight pause and then a smudge more coming off. I just realized that this is the rms such as pugilist or soldier or sniper ticking off a little additional hp. Or at least that is what is appears to me. If so, I wonder why it's animated like that and not one larger hp chunk taken in one animation.

It's probably because the multiplier from those RMs is external to the normal damage formula. I'd imagine it's a display quirk and not intentional.

tenton

Lol. Claims he's only spent $700. Someone did the math to show how incredibly unlikely that is: https://www.reddit.com/r/FFRecordKeeper/comments/3lfqjc/i_am_the_hype/cv66ljk. I guess there's someone named Fairy Kid who has spent over $5,000 and has 1 more 5* item than this guy.. so it's pretty clear he's full of shit about $700.

God, the concept of spending $700 on this game is just so patently absurd.. yikes.

I'd say something, except I can't, given how much I've spent on Love Live. ww

Hey, some people have too much money and it keeps this game alive for me. I thank them for subsidizing my entertainment. :p

Also, some people just don't spend money on other things that many of us do, like going out to eat or hanging out with friends every week. Or rent because they live with family still but have a job that pays well.

Falk

that puzzling face
Oops, went dumpster diving for old post and ran across this too. Tackling replies at the same time.

What's the magic stat on your BM nukers without RS usually, Falk? I feel like I have some decent gear and ok hones but I can't get mage meta to work for me.

For instance, I tried FFV Titan and Manticore elite with an all mage team and even with mental breakdown applied, I only hit for like 5000 with ga spells. Or are you rocking all r3+ ja spells now?

I could bring Maduin, Valefor and Meteor as that would be enough with Mana Spring II and Summoning Spring II. They're just almost useless for the boss

In terms of stats, typically ~300MAG. All my mages are capped lv65, and I (finally lol) have decent mage armor. Vivi sits at 315-320 with a Gold Hairpin and 15 or 20MAG accessory. The others you can bring to 300 or equivalent with Devotion/Impetuous Youth/Rod Master.

Yes, -ja spells, and nah, I only have r3 Waterja. That's why you shuffle things around so that with the other ability slot you have 8 uses. Even with one person less than 8 casts, you can get that person to fire off the friend summons to fill in some turns without becoming useless. See this post: (snipped discussions about Faith, linkback to original post if you want to read inside context)

(This is with the caveat you have 3 black and 1 white rod (interchangeable with red rods) with a leeway of possibly 1 black/white freebie from events usually being better anyway e.g. Stardust Rod FFIX, Flail FFVIII, etc)

In my experience:

- Take Wakka or Sazh or Irvine or Fran or Gordon or whoever has synergy (They're all almost virtually interchangeable)
- Give support person some shitty 4* RS knife because I have no ranged weapons (Or, well, PSICOM rifle in XIII)
- Power/Magic Breakdown in slot 1, Mental Breakdown in slot 2, Zeal/Sky Pirate's Pride
- Cycle defensive breakdown, mental breakdown, attack (or defend), repeat this 3-turn cycle

This keeps almost perfect 2x Breakdown uptime. I stick support person in the back row regardless of melee weapon - he's not even there to DPS.

Mental Breakdown + -ja/Meteor/Valefor will virtually always guarantee 9999, and in my experience at the very least 8.5k on Break resistant bosses.

The thing to remember about mage meta v bosses is most of them will die in ~8 turns. (3.5 people doing 8.5k a turn = ~240k damage done). This means that if you somehow get a combination close to that and make sure everyone has 8 shots of 4* spells, the boss is simply going to die in 8 turns.

I have:
r4 Valefor
r2 Phoenix
r4 Ramuh
r1 Meteor
r3 Bioga
r3 Waterja
r2 Firaja
r2 Thundaja
r1 Diaga (lol)*

It's exceedingly easy to setup 3 casters to have 8 shots each, with buffer coming from 2 r4 comets, 1 r4 Biora which hit for ~5k (Okay, so boss dies in slightly over 8 turns instead) and/or take into account AOE considerations, vulnerability/absorbtion considerations, etc. You can also balance them to do equal damage by juggling around Devotion, Rod Master, Impetuous Youth, etc.

*I've since upgraded to r3 Diaga for the times I have a dedicated WHM dps, but otherwise I don't think I'll be touching my ability hones till during/after Orb Dungeon.

edit2: Specifically for the person with Valefor, if you're lucky enough to have a red rod, Valefor + Diaga with Summoning Spring II is great. Diaga for boss after Valefor runs out.

MicH

I guess I could take advantage of mage meta more often but usually only run one BM and one WM. I need to run a Combat user as I don't have Power Breakdown, but I could fit in a summoner still. I have R3 Waterja, R2 Thundaja, R2 Bioga, R1 Meteor + Firaga and R4 Diaga. Also have R1 Maduin and R2 Valefor

Falk

that puzzling face
I'm getting by with r2 Breakdowns (MY PRECIOUS ORBSSS) just due to the exact same near-guarantee that bosses will die in 8 turns.

Magic Breakdown is r3 but that hone was a mistake and nothing but trash and I just end up using the extra 2 uses on trash waves if ATB starts with support guy being near full.

Decided to do a 3-pull. All 3*'s. >_>

Not Falk, but this was my first time clearing almost everything with mage meta (with three 5* black mage weapon), and, yeah, I was using mostly Ja spells -- I have r3 Thundaja, Firaja and Waterja and r2 Blizzaja. 3* spells are too weak unless it's exploiting elemental weakness or a 5* RS weapon. The fight will last about twice as long.

Oops, went dumpster diving for old post and ran across this too. Tackling replies at the same time.

Thanks for the replies. The only mage I have at 65 is Vivi though a few others are close. My magic stat without RS isn't anywhere near 300+; I'm usually closer to 250 or so. :( Vivi might be around 280, I forget.

Also, my posts are gold! Why were they in the dumpster! T_T :D

Falk

that puzzling face
Vivi should be 290 with nothing but a 5* rod and an accessory.

edit: 288 with Polymorph and the FFIX Magic Armlet

I never get to be right :(

scosher

Anyone else in the same boat as me that hasn't gotten a single 5* from any of the 100-gem draws, despite doing it for each banner since they started?

Negator

So judging from the pulls people have been making in this thread, pretty good luck with the gacha?

I'm considering blowing 50 mythrils on it.

Falk

that puzzling face
There's always good pulls every banner.

I mean if you see 10 good posts in a community of 50, that doesn't say much.

Balphon

So judging from the pulls people have been making in this thread, pretty good luck with the gacha?

It's no better or worse chances-wise than any other banner, but pretty much every unique 5* in there is good to great. You may be seeing more positive results due to a higher-than-normal volume of people pulling.

If you don't have the sentinel grimoire it's worth a shot.i stared into the abyss and spent 100 gems 50, 15, 15 and got a five star xii heavy armor and a few 4s that I upped to 4++. the abyss called for more from me and I did a paid 11 netting me the yshtola rod and the cobalt sword. It was more relief than happiness not to have blown the cash with nothing to show, good luck with your choice. Now I can roll out a team with sazh/vega yshtola/thancrus tellah/polymorph and then two warriors or a warrior and a summoner for killer damage, particularly the elite paintings where I can build up the sbs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom