• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy: Record Keeper |OT| The only ATB here is Active Time Battle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nohar

Are either of the FFXIV characters worth using outside of this event/other FFXIV content? With or without their exclusive gear?

Thancred is a mixed bag, but can be quite useful once Dual Delay is available, though he can't use 4* Support. His Defense is very low, making him a Glass Canon, like Lightning. However, he has far better equipment choices than her, especially in regards to Armors (he can equip almost everything, including Helms, Light armor, Heavy Armor and Shields). If you get a good Bow (or a 5* Instrument), he can do a fine job on the back row.

Y'shtola is a very solid White mage (who can equip Light Armors and Shields - while Shields are often considered so-so, for good reasons, even those are useful with synergy; AFAIK, she is the only dedicated White mage able to equip shields, aside from Tyro). She has access to 4* Support, allowing her to use Breakdown abilities if you need to, though you will equip her with Protectga, Shellga or Diaga more often than not. That being said, those are very nice perks.
On the other hand, compared to other dedicated White mages or even some Summoners (like Eiko), her regular Soul Break is useless. Thus, she only really shines if you manage to get your hands on her Soul Break relics.

You got bumped off by other players then. You need to add some Luneth back to your list.
That is why I make a point to try and use my Luneths every day. That keeps you higher on the list.

If you have too many RW to draw them, sort that out by removing a load of people from your friends list (you don't need 8 Boons do you?). It is TGC logic of smaller decks are more likely to draw certain cards.

Did Advance get removed from the game or did all the people I follow for it decide to be jerks and switch to something else?
As unlikely as that sounds I did have that happen to one of mine. Nial (or was it Nail) decided to use Cyan instead.

Negator

I am forever a Lunneth bot lol

I can't ever see myself taking it off considering how much it trivializes certain content.

I'm down to the elite events in FFV. Stamina is 130 0/5 and the cap is 4/5 so I won't be getting any stam refreshes, damn!

Should I bother breaking Refia? I have a ton of eggs but I'm still inclined to hoard them for some reason.

MicH

This makes me happy:

8Jx4h5u.jpg

I've level broken every character that can be level broken. Just need to level Galuf, some II characters and some useless cores to have everyone at level 50

I am forever a Lunneth bot lol

I can't ever see myself taking it off considering how much it trivializes certain content.

I'm down to the elite events in FFV. Stamina is 130 0/5 and the cap is 4/5 so I won't be getting any stam refreshes, damn!

Should I bother breaking Refia? I have a ton of eggs but I'm still inclined to hoard them for some reason.

We thank you greatly for you the Luneth!

As for Refia, I did not yet. Her second MC is "Begin battle with Protect" so I am in no hurry to get that. I tend to be like you and hoard my eggs. If I ever feel like I need them for someone I suddenly want to use or a specific character who is necessary for an event, I will use them.

I plan to use a certain amount of Mythrils for refresh during the Orb Fest and Exp will be very good during the event. I will then level a bunch of characters that I have left out so far.

That is why I make a point to try and use my Luneths every day. That keeps you higher on the list.

If you have too many RW to draw them, sort that out by removing a load of people from your friends list (you don't need 8 Boons do you?). It is TGC logic of smaller decks are more likely to draw certain cards.

As unlikely as that sounds I did have that happen to one of mine. Nial (or was it Nail) decided to use Cyan instead.

I see. I removed most everything I had but boon, veil or protection, the Red XIII sb and advance but I guess I wasn't using advance enough. I try keeping my follow list short because of the RNG on it. And because there's no point in summoning 90% of RW.

I did see people on the official wiki mention switching their RW and then seeing people who followed them just for advance get pissed.

I guess now that I have like 15 level 60 characters I don't need advance as badly, but it would probably help me get the summoner MC from that stupid Seymour fight.

I got Refia's second MC today after only a few fights. Meanwhile I still don't have Joseph of WoL or Luneth's.

Red Mage

This event sucks. It's so... Little.

Speaking of sucking, are we gonna have to endure the Four Archfiends for the boss rush every time a FFIV character is released?

Balphon

This event sucks. It's so... Little.

Speaking of sucking, are we gonna have to endure the Four Archfiends for the boss rush every time a FFIV character is released?

Yes, and Rubicante 3 to 4 times in the event as well. Naturally.

Does anyone know if you need to complete the bonus battles to unlock the event quests for them? If not, it seems like it'd be best to just wait to do them.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
We will get FFXIV dungeons eventually, and both characters have their merits, Y'shtola particularly.
I dunno, I feel like I'm at a point where the only reason to level someone up is if you get a unique soul break. Like is there any reason to use Yshtola if you don't have her SB?

Y'shtola has her uses, she the first white mage with 4* support. Also I have her robes so she's my permanent white mage lolololololo
So basically without RNG, she's about as useful as any other white mage without their SB.

(Since why would you bring a white mage with support when they would be using Curaja + Shell/Protect/Diaja for the majority of the battles anyway?)

I dunno, I feel like I'm at a point where the only reason to level someone up is if you get a unique soul break. Like is there any reason to use Yshtola if you don't have her SB?
White Magic 5 and Support 4 is a handy combo. (She's got Black Magic 3 also.) One of the most powerful default SBs (same strength as Waterga) and top 3 MND among Lv. 65 characters.

johnsmith

remember me
Y'shtola is the only mage with Support 4 until Rosa comes out, and can equip more armor than the typical white mage. She's one of my top choices as a permanent party white mage at the moment. Especially since unlike the WHM/SMN characters the game doesn't automatically give her a Rod. Makes using Yuna a pain.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I dunno, maybe I'm hoarding growth eggs for characters I'll never use, but when I have Selphie and Aerith close to 65, adding another white mage just seems kind of redundant.

What situation is there where you would use support on a white mage instead of the other support characters though? Do breakdown skills scale based on Mind or something?

I dunno, maybe I'm hoarding growth eggs for characters I'll never use, but when I have Selphie and Aerith close to 65, adding another white mage just seems kind of redundant.

What situation is there where you would use support on a white mage instead of the other support characters though? Do breakdown skills scale based on Mind or something?
Basically, just so you have more options. Sometimes I rock a double White Mage party, with one being for healing and buffing, and another for Diaga. Being able to bring a breakdown skill too would free up another character to focus on something else.

(Aerith near 65? Not at 65?)

Negator

Perhaps you're rocking the glorious all mage party for a certain fight, and bringing a support character is a wasted slot. You could theoretically divvy up the 4* support skills between Quistis, Y'shtola, and Terra.

Also, if your other white mages are already capped, it would be a waste of XP to have them sit there sponging it up.

johnsmith

remember me
I use 2 white mages pretty often since I use advantaliate a lot. It lets you bring maximum damage mitigation while not really losing much in terms of damage since you can give one of them double hit. So Y'shtola is definitely someone I'll be using a lot.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Basically, just so you have more options. Sometimes I rock a double White Mage party, with one being for healing and buffing, and another for Diaga. Being able to bring a breakdown skill too would free up another character to focus on something else.

(Aerith near 65? Not at 65?)
I have Edward's shitty, pointless harp, so I'm forced to bring him anyway if I ever need 4* skills. lol (A worse version of Lunatic High... great.)

And yeah, I don't play enough to care about grinding. Already missed the last few Sundays.

Perhaps you're rocking the glorious all mage party for a certain fight, and bringing a support character is a wasted slot. You could theoretically divvy up the 4* support skills between Quistis, Y'shtola, and Terra.

Also, if your other white mages are already capped, it would be a waste of XP to have them sit there sponging it up.
It seems like you need maybe three or four of those 5* growth eggs to make them useful for the bonus battles in this event, so you're wasting something either way.

I have Edward's shitty, pointless harp, so I'm forced to bring him anyway if I ever need 4* skills. lol (A worse version of Lunatic High... great.)

And yeah, I don't play enough to care about grinding. Already missed the last few Sundays.

It seems like you need maybe three or four of those 5* growth eggs to make them useful for the bonus battles in this event, so you're wasting something either way.
Aw, poor Edward. I prefer its effects to Lunatic High personally.

Haste seems way more useful than Regen though. That and either Edward doesn't have an MC, or as a new player, I'll never be able to get it so he's stuck at 50 forever. lol
Both have their uses, but the strength of regen it provides is substantial enough that you can forgo healing generally. I also think Edward is more useful than Red XIII.

In the Japanese version he had a MC with his event, but since they changed it for the Global version, we don't have it yet. Unless they make up for it in some other way, we'll have to wait until the Recollection event where you can choose 4 MCs.

Is there any reason to bother doing the event quests when there's no reason to use FF14 characters after the event?
More growth eggs to make up for the growth eggs used in getting the characters up to speed.
I used 4 major so getting two back...three if you count the greaters rewarded

Does anyone know if you need to complete the bonus battles to unlock the event quests for them? If not, it seems like it'd be best to just wait to do them.
I have all four regular battle event quests and only beat the first two battles before so I'm guessing no.

Entropia

No One Remembers
Finally catching up with the main dungeons, currently at the Babel Giant with the elemental fiends at the bosses. Should be... fun times. Guess I need a mage heavy party.

I had to waste a few mythril the other day to beat a FFX dungeon.

The event quests net you, in order
Mythril
Mythril
5 greater growth
2 major growth
3 major growth
Rosetta Stone

Considering you also got another major growth and set of greater eggs from the dungeons themselves, you can get both characters into fighting shape using only the eggs from the event and perhaps a bit of time on Sunday. Mine are now both at 57. I did draw the thyrus so I'll keep yshtola in most high level parties for the foreseeable future, but had I not, her skill set is useful in a few party configurations, namely a retaliate strategy with yshtola using protecga/Shellga and a breakdown with the double hit materia, essentially the flip of how quistis can be used now as a support bmage. Thancred I don't see a use for until we get more interesting skills. Otoh considering he is level broken, he is more useful than a fair number of other named characters in niche applications.

Nohar

Well, nothing here to do except farm daily dungeons until Zack's event is up (Thursday in Europe). Oh well, tomorrow is the usual Power/Black farming day anyway.

Still pretty pissed at DeNa with how they handle the gacha on our end (no gacha improvement + 10% odds of getting a 5* for this banner whereas it was 12% in Japan). Well, obviously I'm not the kind of costumer they are looking for, since I won't spend a dime for this game. I'll keep enjoying playing it despite the horrible gacha (and will just stop if it turns out it becomes impossible to progress with no new 5*; for now, it is manageable, and Advancetaliate allows me to beat the hardest bosses for which I don't have good enough synergy, but one day it may not be enough). They seem to want to screw Global, and frankly when Cloud's event will be up and when we will discover that the drop rate is still 10% and not 12% like in Japan, I won't be surprised. By then, I'm pretty sure apathy will be my only reaction.
I appreciate that we get more orbs (which is necessary because of the gap we have with Japan and the fact that they skipped events) and updates sooner than Japan, but the way they are handling the gacha disappointed me.

MicH

God, I hate using Thancred for these event quests. He's borderline useless! Thank god Zack's event gives out two good Celerity abilities or the EX event quests would've been annoying

Brandson

God, I hate using Thancred for these event quests. He's borderline useless! Thank god Zack's event gives out two good Celerity abilities or the EX event quests would've been annoying

Thancred busting out a 4x9999 Dancing Edge from the back row with a bow buffed with Advance and Rallying Etude on the XIV heroic boss was nice, although that boss was not exactly difficult. I was pretty fortunate with the relics from this banner. Can't wait until he has some worthwhile abilities.

Thancred busting out a 4x9999 Dancing Edge from the back row with a bow buffed with Advance and Rallying Etude on the XIV heroic boss was nice, although that boss was not exactly difficult. I was pretty fortunate with the relics from this banner. Can't wait until he has some worthwhile abilities.

Nice! I used venom buster and rallying étude for the event quests.the last boss can be poisoned and it's been a while since I busted out a buster for use. Buffed by the étude with even a non rs five star sword, aka the zantetsuken, and Thancred can do decent damage with a buster. He was very very easy even with only four characters and dropped a greater fire orb, so I'm tempted to run him a few times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom