• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy: Record Keeper |OT| The only ATB here is Active Time Battle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnsmith

remember me
Which, if any, of the 3* summons is worth honing? I'm not at a level to get the 4* ones yet but need to use my Summon Orbs for something.
They're all useful, just depends on what the particular fight has weakness or resistance to. Thunder is the most common weakness but there's already 2 4* summons for that.

Nohar

Which, if any, of the 3* summons is worth honing? I'm not at a level to get the 4* ones yet but need to use my Summon Orbs for something.

I honed Ramuh at the time (a lot of bosses are weak to lightning), though he is by no mean necessary. Shiva is the only option you have if you want to deal Ice damage with summons though.

And to correct johnsmith: there are 3 different 4* summons which deal Lightning damage (Ixion, Syldra, Quetzacoatl).

Balphon

None, really. Shiva is the only one that isn't replaced by a 4*, and even then Valefor or Maduin will end up being your go-to when you get one of them.

3* summoning is sort of in desperate need of a utility summon. 2* has Kirin at least.

FireVoa

What is a viable strategy for Ifrit++? I have tried a whole slew of ways (retaliate, mage meta, etc.) and come up short each time. How are people Mastering it and with what team comp? I know i have the resources to manage it but I can't even manage to beat it with 5 members let alone the 4 that the event quest will require.

WarAdept

FireVoa

Thanks War, I ended up beating it earlier tonight by tweaking my start and not only managed to beat and Master it but did so with just 4 members over the five.

Thancred - Dual Delay x8 and Dismissal x4
Sazh - Mental and Magic Breakdown x4
Vivi - Waterja x6 and Firaja x4 (Saint rod)
Yosh - Diaga x8 and Shell x2 (Thyrus)

Very pleased to say the least.

Razmos

Ultima Weapon has extremely high physical defense and counters physical attacks with Death
lol, they definitely want you to do that fight with a mage only party. makes sense I guess.

I'm worried that the boss for 6* combat or whatever will be a physical only fight :/, but considering that any of the listed characters and EVERYTHING they have equipped will get record synergy, it might not be that bad?

Hachitora

What's the best way to beat Schizo for someone who hasn't gotten too far in the game? I keep dying after taking out only half of each head's health (mostly from using a roaming warrior's aoe). Brute force doesn't seem to be working, lol

What is a viable strategy for Ifrit++? I have tried a whole slew of ways (retaliate, mage meta, etc.) and come up short each time. How are people Mastering it and with what team comp? I know i have the resources to manage it but I can't even manage to beat it with 5 members let alone the 4 that the event quest will require.

I used Cloud with Retaliate/Double Cut, Wakka with Double Cut/Magic Breakdown, Thancred with Tempo Flurry/Boost, Eiko with Curaga/Protect, and Y'Shtola with Curaga/Shell. I used Advance for my Roaming Warrior. It was pretty easy once I added the second Curaga to help with healing when he does his AoE after you kill the spike.

What's the best way to beat Schizo for someone who hasn't gotten too far in the game? I keep dying after taking out only half of each head's health (mostly from using a roaming warrior's aoe). Brute force doesn't seem to be working, lol

Probably Retaliate + defensive RWs like Boon or Sentinel's Grimoire.

What do you have?

Chased the dragon on the XIV banner trying to get a Thyrus. Failed to get one, but one the last pull I made before calling it quits I got an Evoker's Horn which I'm pretty happy with.

I'm hoping that its Soul Break being a MAG/RES debuff that it will stack with Status Reels (DEF/RES debuff). If so, the hope is that using hastega and lining those up to go on the same turn will give my casters a few turns hitting the damage cap. Might try it out later with Wakka + 4 mages.

edit: Did some reading and it looks like there's a translation error and the SB only does -RES. It should stack with status reels, but any Status Reels+Virus+Mental Breakdown shenanigans is out of the question. Apparently it's as effective as mental break which is a little disappointing, but I guess it should be expected for a shared soul break. Still, for someone like Rydia or Yuna it's at least better than their default SB.

Had to redo ifrit as I forgot to accept the quest, oooof. He did drop a greater fire though, so it wasn't a complete waste of 20 stam. Shamelessly advantilate with cloud using the cobalt rs sword. Took forever to cycle my advance friends.

The boss rush I used regular retaliate with rallying étude. I rolled my lineup straight from the ifrit battle so I forgot to switch my healer to,concentration 2 materia. Whoops. I used a mog rw and it was frankly stunning in the last battle. I waited to use it when the two minions arrived and it combined with stones kin dropped the damge I was receiving to double digits. Trivial. Didn't even mess with the two friends, just dumped everything to the big guy. Cobalt sword and thyrus were my rs equips. Aeris healer and protecga, yshtola Shellga and diaga, Thancred the étude and tempo flurry, cloud,retaliate and armor break. Was a very simple boss rush despite having only four characters.

Valus

I just started playing this game and the screen stops responding after playing for a bit. Like I'm in a fight right now, but it won't let me tap anything. The mobs just keep wailing on my team and I can't do anything. Is this a common problem, and how do I fix it? I'm playing on the iPhone 6s+

hutna

I just started playing this game and the screen stops responding after playing for a bit. Like I'm in a fight right now, but it won't let me tap anything. The mobs just keep wailing on my team and I can't do anything. Is this a common problem, and how do I fix it? I'm playing on the iPhone 6s+

In certain screens (including battles unfortunately), the touch screen doesn't seem to work at all. I'm on an iPhone 6s. Probably an issue with force touch and/or iOS9. Guess we will have to wait for SE to update the app. :(

WmYOLdul.jpg

I'm both very happy...and very sad. haha.

Ifrit++ down. Very easy.

I didn't even worry about the nail, just focused on the beast himself. Simplest ++ so far IMO. Haste makes it a cakewalk, even with just 4 characters.

Had a good 11-pull yesterday, which netted me a Crystal Sword, Soldier Sword, and a third Masamune Blade... to add to the Crystal Glove I got during the last Tifa event. Now my FF7 melee lineup has 360-405 attack power during the Zack event.

xEZof6hl.png

I went full Advantaliate YOLO on Ifrit. Sazh casted haste on everyone then It was all double cut, no healing (cloud, sazh, Y'shtola with double cut RM) and Thancred useless as always.

Ah RNG bullshit EX++ battles how I missed thee. Seriously you're fucked if Ifrift spams vulcun blast during the nail phase (or any other inconvenient time). Outside of that it is fairly easy provided you can mitigate enough damage.

Also dismissal is another crappy overhyped ability (everyone told it made this EZ mode). I'm the person who failed to land a 30% dark buster 20 times in a row so a 25% one turn stun is never going to activate.

Nohar

Well, Ifrit++ is indeed another one of those bullshit battles indeed.
At least Japan had the materias which fill up the Soul Break jauge at the beginning of a battle, allowing them to use useful mitigations SB right off the bat (ideally, SG or Stoneskin II). We don't have that, and Ifrit really loves to RNG-troll us. And, well, it isn't like we have a lot of FFXIV equipment for synergy (and the gacha really doesn't like me nowadays).

Managed to beat him with a team of 4 (Cloud, Tyro, Thancred, Y'sthola) by stalling (keeping ifrit above 75% HP, since his attack patterns aren't very threatening while he is in phase 1), in order for Tyro and Y'shtola to have enough SB jauge to use Sentinel Grimoire and Shellga (Shared SB) right before beginning the Nail phase. Thanksfully, Ifrit didn't use his Interrupt move this time, so no problem with the Nail either. I'm glad I'm done with that ridiculous battle.

Now, I'm going to be upfront: if DeNa doesn't increase the relic drop rate from 10% to 12% for Terra's event, I will probably quit. I can only deal with unfair RNG-heavy battles for so long, and they aren't going to rip me off and push me to buy gems with lower odds to get good equipment. When a game becomes just unfair and tedious because RNG (be it bosses or gacha) just loves to screw you, there is no point in playing it when it isn't fun anymore.

Do note that I am perfectly aware that I am not entitled to anything, and DeNa made it perfectly clear that the Global and Japanese version are different. But I draw a line at trying to screw us when a gacha (and therefore potentially money) is involved (the fact that they went out of their way to "nerf" the drop rate of the Global FFXIV banner speaks for itself - see a Reddit discussion in which it was discovered that the drop rate of that banner was nerfed from 12% to 10% shortly after it went online, and it seems that banner also got the gacha improvement that was added for Golbez's event, but they removed that too). I'd rather quit than succomb to the temptation and spend money.

Say that after he hits you with Vulcan whatever four times in a row.
I'm sure that's annoying, though that can be said for any boss that has a powerful AoE attack if they happen to use it consecutively. As I've stated here before, my 5* selection is pretty abhorrent, and if I can get through this battle, it shouldn't be a problem for experienced players. (Or I happened to get really lucky, and Ifrit decided to play unusually nice with me.)

He seems to only becomes really threatening once the Nail appears. If you cast Haste on everyone and use Magic Breakdown, you have a pretty long buffer to set up your DPS, and then just go all out when the Nail pops up. I didn't even bother with healing at all.

xEZof6hl.png

I went full Advantaliate YOLO on Ifrit. Sazh casted haste on everyone then It was all double cut, no healing (cloud, sazh, Y'shtola with double cut RM) and Thancred useless as always.
PSA: Tempo Flurry acts the same as Double Cut in the Retaliate strategy, so anyone with Celerity 3 can become a Double Cutter too now.

I'm sure that's annoying, though that can be said for any boss that has a powerful AoE attack if they happen to use it consecutively. As I've stated here before, my 5* selection is pretty abhorrent, and if I can get through this battle, it shouldn't be a problem for experienced players. (Or I happened to get really lucky, and Ifrit decided to play unusually nice with me.)

He seems to only becomes really threatening once the Nail appears. If you cast Haste on everyone and use Magic Breakdown, you have a pretty long buffer to set up your DPS, and then just go all out when the Nail pops up. I didn't even bother with healing at all.

PSA: Tempo Flurry acts the same as Double Cut in the Retaliate strategy, so anyone with Celerity 3 can become a Double Cutter too now.

It would be more manageable if that attack didn't reset ATB as well

You just got lucky, dude. If he had spammed you with Vulcan Blast, nothing else would have mattered.
When a boss spams an annoying attack, that's just bad luck. It happens.

In my experience, this is still one of the easiest ++ fights. I'm sorry you all are having trouble though.

Tempo Furry isn't as good as Double Cut for Retaliate as it can slow your Retaliator :/
Only if it hits them. If you have Retaliate up, it won't make a difference.

Though screw DeNA for increading the proc rate on status effects if you attack your own teammates. :/

Between Thancred's armour and the 5* FFXIV bow I pulled, he was the real MVP of these EX+/EX++ fights. Rallying Etude + Armor Breakdown/Status Reels, doing over 6k with Tempo Flurry and Death Blossom hits all targets for 9999 and Slow if they're vulnerable.

I think I might max him out soon and bring him along semi regularly. His ATK rating is only 4 less than Cloud at 65 and his equipment selection is pretty good.

Road

Boss rush (left) and Proudcad (right) were easy
thanks FFVII equipment
, with the usual RNG caveat (Red Dragon one shot Aeris, Proudclad one shit Zack and blinding just wouldn't stick...).

Don't know if I'll fight Ultima Weapon just yet. I have no idea what I'll do with those 20 Giant Scarletite, and I still have the 20 I got from Dark Bahamut clogging my inventory. Selling can be such a waste, I mean, I could get a new 5* weapon any minute now...

-oP0J974nlgIXKtiXZV7KE9cLddgKX-semmA9Zo23yMoukpv6VHl1W4psf1FJh4D1zWJBdKs7xSSNfNXdI33oK13mw_FHN_2mF9JAYL-OjU8cN_bY_PiqB4odJmFtyNAMd7ukvzPUbyI4heBiO5NayxdWEjaRRt4UJmNzBfM2XDAK-yHiXDhZ5XRjb-rDCvf1EnIF1NZxeb27XegA0cGux68I85WQRJ_vqxU5O_ve86eYNtc1ncup35asMApCGUwzaBXcxGnjWm1Iq1UmVUnQUJP_PRRcnw4Gu-GhMuRHZSBi26HrlUZBVnyQVxzC5MO7as7uJkgh6Pnx4y2sNzGyluOjhi1kC5pVedil_lrtC7-B4-PGnqSzAdWY8qwN3nfttKjZNC8uw3aKfDBGUCD9mGbZgzxwoKZyTpMrN2zHv8pi3591hx5XxIWgxDrtb0vHV9lOQHkR_iSpaI-ceR9DplkOGxvhhdmFN1s3MJ6OOW7-q6E5bKwKGe73zQt_sp9bipnyTf2Zhc9E8y9qw2ZzhLwVwrfCLfPJbm-g_TTqzOm=w320-h869-no
UtFB-yu6wAZhRddQLYxKUgOxJ20xleOM8_BrLGmmeY5ra2pcdb_Xw-UhVeC69_4O-glx2qivbuiM4HLiCIkdwKpw5_AH1LnkoNJYouqFpdmHknejWhKEiSbMDDo7L9CGGrnHBX-E-m5xppB_LQEsTUpYWlrLln-shVVHTmBhCDqBXqOk0SaTzOp7PUnIDpEozq1WaDiLtOmbHDDTxAH6JnF-LrRNego7vG_N5o6gIomVYDmFGOf8zUb_-pW9Hykf4sc2yh4QEc4vYJE2xz99Cn4soZWLHbWW9JpmTn9xquR_IZJ92fhToUtX5arbyTyg17L1lPFFjj9rr6sKSnu6xIMTizkviiBJdM6vyR3m4H65tQFRqlyFllY-XXpOPNxFWqxGCwc6TmpVJPs2FbQzQG7OUVOEX9XCVcBznhqQ8RRPLN-gZg29nnM9qWlU9WlR6ZiBQqmwGeHhFTaZOPZw-be-i2Xisva1Wa8HUovOC6MdrgBV0SmCntXJu3avtCkcEvyeI3JLSWFDWoR049VcFvAf15WQAc9knspB3E7SoFP4=w320-h869-no

Planet Protector is underrated. I wish I had gotten it.

Also did the FFXIV event with Advance + Retaliate because I wanted to master and quest at the same time and wanted the easiest way.

Y80F9A9DZlwY5PMNCcjv0CrEWSImzRnFHqkBOPBGhOEqtMg0qp9_OeLX-vYQLrke6D33E_LwjewwVI-rm3P-pZEv6zkRlLSuJgrB-PAqhubthe_-YvgNuUELzHmoXTGR3TBPzKtovrXxCDS0dhy-xa4XixVjxwwwlEgSC5MEXOM4zRKcU8A9pNwWiFwsu-711UYvRdufQCImnQtN0Po2DkWjbh2uRGGyeuLNQV4S9S604zMa4RFhZpVXIW7kFQ7cbvkJILuqFRFn12NQxJvQunfwXTZmG5PNNT6QMwmOQSoR4sRSIQc1HqPvwwgWwEP_ha43IODIGEkrYPJ_sjE5nPK1c8RLUiZc4AZKw8I7KAu8q6b_41Xm5TImz_7hCDSROy6gXGd88F-ajLftz8Xo0VATQxxIoo3wMfHBO7Y42OYV0WvUwWTqDMsdv_eURlPJcv0joVRVJOeaIA9cTOrb_mbGWbYVcm39J7dIIg24e57Vj4iqfX2SCc0YWFlb9mn2xhP4XrX9nTlPRyjVFqzk467Ee2crnqgDFEZ9uqXAbqWA=w320-h869-no
OiO_UsDeMsZU6SpVI-SxbbPr3KCinsOT18wsqu4kWdAr3mwSDnRoH2a0Hxzn6JsvkSUpLJSS0Nnelw2aD5HfVfT6IrH7oH6EBjmHtSQCsJsYSI02cjqNJOz-PB8tyPv7NlAIRjYplcvbelA4QL8L9pHMicuhKUOjO-az533PqoonIOHrbkAmuQh-VNVzCQZTmEgd7aRQ5GeHd9ukKm-_BrmJZ3ctzXiwFAC8-gxhoOuikiqNcpQK68DtEE378poATapJwrjSVAg8nEXU_ZIAfbVrZVG2JBgBVNz2v7sLWRJi1K5arfLq_Rzt4AYn6vk5JR-PlJ_EuOcx80_UXwV3grTNrh-rOmbvZUtsgsQsZXwI6ntUGD14WGlc3WnPx_AmHsTa0EgZwn_-6JGRFombfy-dcAIdBeaH2-wN0Ih4sDFNXmHTeZv7jc-81SyUb7NqphI0Phj89s_mjlRkCM926Af8pm-_wbn627bkTut-WSoWYtVa51UUPgq_aIBy5UB9elTfM7Qqka41kizSTqJdZcRlWknF53jcM0KODR6yAdT9=w320-h869-no

Gabranth on the boss rush was the only trouble because of RNG (not getting more than one person paralyzed and landing slow on the imps) and the issue with Retaliate targeting. I s/d's for 1 hour there. Ifrit was a piece of cake, when he didn't use AoE dismissal. When he did on my first try, it ended like the image below. Quick s/l, no Vulcan Burst spam, easy win without a single medal lost.

HGES77soyzroeXmOWvjMjlPMSZiZXtA--bmkhVMlHVmrhY5mFb6OgX8tEmR3n72-4RdhrtpQZHU_rMFd9OaCA2nS4a95Jy3xSOWnYCbtsz18Lg0N0eoMmsiQN4kkCyKuYjUT56RVGxNPZANnbUwSP5OXJNjhkUZPcyJk_9ONulItOII_H0uaccHYM23yIxztvid9zwMkZ46d_e40SpuZdBMMZyk41Gor6kTrQkGZhIhdARihqxnIF7vO6RIjp8YcRZCUgXZYd3F9WofpeKKsUUNjKrDk34-uUIGgBJV_r2dawt1-qfHDvWdbbinG8fM8-wFKtg4SnRSYpsSPMMc39g3QziYbTsfXmgJJ9tNWDZew2HeWx22lmKMoVjrGhpdlB8190httB4yXB684pKGHlcbEAZt1GyuE3w5SjI8AhCQDoufGktfJND-sDix6Z9Y1eCGYzbt4M5v7BGF9VBrTAwdKvgJJV8txdyU88RRJMvKE5zoIUc6nYuNoKy2g2MsCOzMRxE8xl91YHj3_CvKVWQYs7-znQzp2Vb92_n3mXy37=w320-h869-no

All in all, I'm glad I could finish these fights without having to spend any growth egg on Zack, Thancred or Y'shtola (all the xp they got was from the daily dungeons and the events). They can wait until Orb Dungeon to level up (although Thancred's RM for +10% knife damage could be useful).

Last but not least, will Red XIII ever get his memory crystal? Poor dog.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom