• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy: Record Keeper |OT| The only ATB here is Active Time Battle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

marrec

Banned
These dailies give me absolute trash for L. Orb drops. It's all minor drops all day with like, 1 L. drop per 15 stam. I get much better luck just farming VI dungeons for what I need.

lyrick

These dailies give me absolute trash for L. Orb drops. It's all minor drops all day with like, 1 L. drop per 15 stam. I get much better luck just farming VI dungeons for what I need.

I typically get 3 L. Orbs and the possibility a of 3* Orb from a Hard Daily battle. It seems Hard has normal drops of Lesser Orbs w/ a lesser chance for 3* orbs and the Normal Daily drops minor orbs with a smaller chance of dropping Lesser orbs.

Output of three runs:
EOv5uril.png
sLLGFgIl.png
vMjGjiIl.png

If you need a specific Lesser Orb a FFVI dungeon may still be better suited to your needs.

elty

Try to do hard, even if you can only do one stage it would be worth it.

Colby

Don't know where you're at with your team, but try the hard daily. You get guaranteed lesser's with a few next stage orbs along the way. All you have to do is beat the first stage and retreat, so you can use all of your skills in a one round burst. Plus today, it's an FFIV dungeon, which should be great in terms of synergy with characters and items. If you're not sure if you can do even one round of the hard daily, just build your team with FFIV characters/equips and try it! It's only 30 minutes of stamina, and it could be a huge boost to your farming.

I think the "just try it" advice works for the whole game so far, too. So what if you lose 10 stamina because you couldn't beat a level? Don't get hung up on stamina management. It's something I've had to learn from P&D and Quiz RPG -- unless an event is nearly finished and you need to rush to beat it, it's okay to eat a few stamina here and there. And, it is better to experience the level and see just how close you are to beating it. Compared to reading the level's stats online and trying to theorycraft your way through it and deciding you can't complete it without trying, anyway.

marrec

Banned
Yea, I've tried hard daily and it's better but still seems kinda worthless for the stam expense. I can get 1-4 L. drops from a VI dungeon (Mt. Kolts, for example) for 5 stam. Compared to between 1-4 2*s and 1-2 3*s in the hard daily for 10 stam.

Of course I don't ever get any 3* drops from there but if I'm just looking for 2* then I see no reason to go to the dailies. My party is kinda low level right now anyway (mid 20s mostly) and I'm just trying to farm up for Dark Attack to shit all over Rufus with.

So my ambivalence is probably just a mix of not QUITE being strong enough to make the Hard dungeon totally worth it, and needing specific orbs and once I get leveled up and need 3* orbs I'll be wondering what the hell I was thinking.

rhino4evr

Yea, I've tried hard daily and it's better but still seems kinda worthless for the stam expense. I can get 1-4 L. drops from a VI dungeon (Mt. Kolts, for example) for 5 stam. Compared to between 1-4 2*s and 1-2 3*s in the hard daily for 10 stam.

Of course I don't ever get any 3* drops from there but if I'm just looking for 2* then I see no reason to go to the dailies. My party is kinda low level right now anyway (mid 20s mostly) and I'm just trying to farm up for Dark Attack to shit all over Rufus with.

So my ambivalence is probably just a mix of not QUITE being strong enough to make the Hard dungeon totally worth it, and needing specific orbs and once I get leveled up and need 3* orbs I'll be wondering what the hell I was thinking.

Think i said this before, but dark attack isn't all that effective over Rufus. In fact it doesn't always work, and its low damage. You are better spending your orbs on double attack or more 2 star spells for Rydia.

marrec

Banned
Think i said this before, but dark attack isn't all that effective over Rufus. In fact it doesn't always work, and its low damage. You are better spending your orbs on double attack or more 2 star spells for Rydia.

Oh I've got Double Attack on Cloud and Rydia's loaded down with Thundara. Doesn't Dark Attack make the fight laughable though? I'm kinda hoping for a Mastery and I dunno if I could do it at my currently level without cheesing it.

garath

So looking at replacing Tyro with paladin Cecil but despite his higher base MND stat, doesn't look like Cecil can equip any +MND gear? Tyro will still be the superior healer with the +MND gear he can equip no? Am I missing something?

Oh I've got Double Attack on Cloud and Rydia's loaded down with Thundara. Doesn't Dark Attack make the fight laughable though? I'm kinda hoping for a Mastery and I dunno if I could do it at my currently level without cheesing it.

I didn't have Double Cut nor Dark Attack (and no 5* equip) and still I could take Rufus down at 1st attempt, with a lvl 20-24 party. No mastery though, but definitely it was easier than expected.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
So looking at replacing Tyro with paladin Cecil but despite his higher base MND stat, doesn't look like Cecil can equip any +MND gear? Tyro will still be the superior healer with the +MND gear he can equip no? Am I missing something?

Tyro is still better. The other problem is that Cecil can't use curaga or haste since his white magic is capped at 2*

Xetherion

Dark Attack makes the fight much easier with Rufus missing a lot of his attacks. If you're okay with cheesing it you can also do the S/L trick until Dark Attack successfully blinds him.

Rufus can also be poisoned, so you could try bringing that as Tyro's second ability.

rhino4evr

No level three healing makes paladin Cecil a chump. I guess you have to have some drawback for having much better attack and defense.

It's not uncommon to get 0 2* drops from the regular dungeons. In fact, I'd go so far as to say it's relatively common to get nothing. On the other hand, I've never gotten less than 4 orbs from the hard daily, and I've seen 6 a number of times. Add to this the fact that you get 3* orbs relatively commonly, i think hard dungeon is just outright better. I just got Drain Strike and Gravity (both 3* abilities) while farming for Fira and Fire Strike.

Shahed

After hearing how hard the ranged bosses at Shinra were, I just did the first one now. Was actually pretty easy and I think I over prepared. Had a total of 4 Jumps, 4 Thundara, 6 Thunder and 4 Cura. I used Cloud and Tifa to one shot trash and defend at the end. Was worried I'd need to bring ranged like Wakka and I'm glad I didn't have to. My Rydia hit Thundara for about 2300ish and I only ended up using two of them. Admittedly I got lucky and pulled a 4* Rod and a 4* White Robe to put on her and got the Earrings from the Cecil event.

I'm thinking if that was easy, so should the next ranged boss right? And what about Rufus? Cloud and Tifa will be able to join in again and I have Double Cut on Tifa with a ++ FFVII glove

TheExodu5

Banned
After hearing how hard the ranged bosses at Shinra were, I just did the first one now. Was actually pretty easy and I think I over prepared. Had a total of 4 Jumps, 4 Thundara, 6 Thunder and 4 Cura. I used Cloud and Tifa to one shot trash and defend at the end. Was worried I'd need to bring ranged like Wakka and I'm glad I didn't have to. My Rydia hit Thundara for about 2300ish and I only ended up using two of them. Admittedly I got lucky and pulled a 4* Rod and a 4* White Robe to put on her and got the Earrings from the Cecil event.

I'm thinking if that was easy, so should the next ranged boss right? And what about Rufus? Cloud and Tifa will be able to join in again and I have Double Cut on Tifa with a ++ FFVII glove

Should be smooth sailing from here on out.

I suggest making Protect for Rufus. Dark Attack if you can as well, but I managed without it.

Is Rufus susceptible to slow? I can't recall. He hits really fast so if he is, that might help.

Shahed

It sounds like you'll be fine

I'm mainly just relieved. I started this like a day and a half ago and was worried I wouldn't be able to finish the Shinra event in time. I played like a madman yesterday to clear the events and farm Orbs from Ffvi, trying to not waste Stamina except when asleep. Did a lot of Auto Battle farming at work! Still if it wasn't for both 4* drops for Rydia I'm not sure I could have done it. Now I can relax since it's just a matter of Stamina now

Should be smooth sailing from here on out.

I suggest making Protect for Rufus. Dark Attack if you can as well, but I managed without it.

Is Rufus susceptible to slow? I can't recall. He hits really fast so if he is, that might help.
I'd have to make Dark Attack and I think only Tyro can equip it. Got the Light Rod from FFVII Elite on him so if 4 Cura's or 6 Cure's are enough I could put it on but I'd rather have Protect. I'll see how it goes. Tifa does huge damage with Double Cut. I wonder how this event was for those with Buster Sword/Grand Glove lol

This alone is already better than a tricked out whip. :(

Heck at 1/10 it already has almost as much +MAG as a Blitz Whip++ maxed out.

Yeah it was the Gravity Rod. It's at Lv 4/15 and has 47 Magic. No idea how that compares

I'm mainly just relieved. I started this like a day and a half ago and was worried I wouldn't be able to finish the Shinra event in time. I played like a madman yesterday to clear the events and farm Orbs from Ffvi, trying to not waste Stamina except when asleep. Did a lot of Auto Battle farming at work! Still if it wasn't for both 4* drops for Rydia I'm not sure I could have done it. Now I can relax since it's just a matter of Stamina now

I'd have to make Dark Attack and I think only Tyro can equip it. Got the Light Rod from FFVII Elite on him so if 4 Cura's or 6 Cure's are enough I could put it on but I'd rather have Protect. I'll see how it goes. Tifa does huge damage with Double Cut. I wonder how this event was for those with Buster Sword/Grand Glove lol
Wakka and Tidus can use Dark Attack. It's not necessary for a win, but it's a guaranteed mastery if you get it to stick

satori

I was really over prepare too lol. I had jump, Thundara honed once, thunder honed 3 times, cura, and thunder strike. I think he went down in one round lol. The 2nd ranged boss is just a tad harder with more hp, but he went down in 2 or 3 rounds with none of my crew really in danger.

As per Rufus, I had poison and dark attack for possible blind effect since I heard it made the fight trivial at that point. Well poison landed but blind never did and I did not want to restart the dang fight so I just power through. Killed the dog first with not much hassle. I did lose like 3 of my crew so it was a show down between Cloud and Rufus but Cloud came out on top :p

It sure sounds you have a better team than myself. I was rolling with Cloud, Titus, Kain, Tyco, and I switched out my Rydia for a level 16 Tifa :p

Highest weapon I had was I think a 4 stars. I was rolling with mostly 1-3 stars items, some which were not even maxed out or even combined lol.

Shahed

I guess I'll switch in Tidus for Kain. He's the higher level between him and Wakka and he can boost Cloud and Tifa. Time to get Dark Attack. More power orb farming :(

My team is Cloud, Tifa, Rydia, Kain and a healing Tyro. They're all between level 20-24 with Cloud and Tifa at the upper end dud to synergy. Rydia has both my 4* stuff and I have some upgraded random 2-3* gear on the rest.

Falk

that puzzling face
Yeah it was the Gravity Rod. It's at Lv 4/15 and has 47 Magic. No idea how that compares

A maxed out Blitz Whip++ (meaning farming the boss for 3 whips, then spending close to 6 digits gil and a shit ton of equipment to upgrade) is 45 MAG and I guess the small consolation of more ATK.

vs getting lucky with a pull

lol

(To be fair, decent alternatives exist as Mastery rewards for elites, but it's still silly how getting lucky with pulls simply trivializes the game)

SCREW THIS DAILY

Burned all my stamina twice today on the normal difficulty, still no lesser lightning orbs ;-;

If you can, do hard mode. Even if it's just the first round. Finish the set, quit and repeat. You normally get a good 4 per set, if not more and are guaranteed at least lesser orbs and even some higher orb sets too. I never do normal now. It's a waste of stamina and time.

satori

SCREW THIS DAILY

Burned all my stamina twice today on the normal difficulty, still no lesser lightning orbs ;-;

Yeah I am farming hard for lesser orbs...If I were to go for a single type of orbs I would actually just do the stages they drop in. I was able to get lesser wind fairly constantly for double cut just in the North Mine stage on classic.

What is cool is the gear I been prepping for the Cecil event is transitioning beatifically for the current daily. I put a 3* ++ Kunai on my Kain and he is hitting for 1k plus :)

Shahed

A maxed out Blitz Whip++ (meaning farming the boss for 3 whips, then spending close to 6 digits gil and a shit ton of equipment to upgrade) is 45 MAG and I guess the small consolation of more ATK.

vs getting lucky with a pull

lol

(To be fair, decent alternatives exist as Mastery rewards for elites, but it's still silly how getting lucky with pulls simply trivializes the game)

Oh yeah. I got that weapon plus the White Robe almost back to back and the huge increase in damage and defence for Rydia was night and day. She's made every boss a joke ever since. And I imagine the pain upgrading that. It wasn't nice at all getting my Leather Gloves++. They were a shitty 1* to begin with and I'm still running empty on money and materials. I wanted to do the same for Kunai for FFIV but it will have to wait.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)

Tyro is still better. The other problem is that Cecil can't use curaga or haste since his white magic is capped at 2*
Hmm, now I'm changing my mind about using him. Think I'll put Tyro back.

Hmm, now I'm changing my mind about using him. Think I'll put Tyro back.

Still confused why people prefer Tyro over White Mage. White Mage has drastically bigger heals, and Tyro's damage isn't that great anyway. If you're using him to attack, you're wasting actions towards getting Mastery, and if you're only using him to heal, White Mage is better.

Falk

that puzzling face
Still confused why people prefer Tyro over White Mage. White Mage has drastically bigger heals, and Tyro's damage isn't that great anyway. If you're using him to attack, you're wasting actions towards getting Mastery, and if you're only using him to heal, White Mage is better.

To add to that, Wakka is better for Thunder Strike burst on ranged bosses and can use 5* support abilities.

Tyro sucks.

And has no useful world synergies.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I agree with all this, but WMage's HP is way too low to withstand the kind of punches I'm taking in the dungeons I'm going into right now. :( I don't feel like any of the current healers are a good solution, but the fact Tyro can equip anything at least helps me mitigate some of his shittiness.

Tyro doesn't die in one hit like white mage, that's why I use him.

Also I feel my ability to do hard daily comes down to if I get attacked by flan princesses. If they appear its gg as none of my ff4 characters minus rydia are strong enough and rydia can't do jack to flan princess.

Falk

that puzzling face
That's largely because there's no WHM equivalent of a farmable Black Cowl at the moment so you're (most likely) sticking something like a Bangle (VII) on it.

Sticking Protect on yourself also helps a lot, although that's quite a bit of micromanagement, and an ability slot.

Caerith

I agree with all this, but WMage's HP is way too low to withstand the kind of punches I'm taking in the dungeons I'm going into right now. :( I don't feel like any of the current healers are a good solution, but the fact Tyro can equip anything at least helps me mitigate some of his shittiness.

None of the available healers are any good:
  • White Mage has decent heals, but falls over in a light breeze
  • Tyro has poor heals and mediocre stats
  • Cecil has poor heals, better stats, and a defensive Soul Break
I've seen people say we're getting Aeris in the next event, so at least then we'll have a decent healer.

garath

Tyro can equip anything. Dark attack, bard harp, even those useless Tifa gloves if you don't have her. His auto attack is very strong with a real weapon. Even his harp attack from the back row is decent damage (my harp is 4* since I ended up with two) and his ability to use any gear also means I can set him up with defense or offensive synergy for almost any dungeon.

Long term, white mage would be better but I would hope we get a real healer character before then.

White mage also has much lower defense and hp. Tyro in the back row with a harp can provide good healing, reasonable auto attack damage and survive much better than a white mage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom