• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy: Record Keeper |OT| The only ATB here is Active Time Battle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, quick poll:

Mythril is better used for:
  • More equipment/ability slots
  • 50 for 11 pulls

Both if you don't plan to spend money. It all depends of your needs. Do you feel that you are too weak or that you are tired to mess around in your inventory trying to stay under 100 spaces? Do you prioritize good 3* and up gears from the pulls or upgraded 1* to 3* for synergy? I'd say go for 11 pulls until you get very tired of dealing with 100 slots or when it becomes apparent that you need more than 100 slots to keep good synergy gears for everyone.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
So, quick poll:

Mythril is better used for:
  • More equipment/ability slots
  • 50 for 11 pulls

Inventory slots are always at a premium in these games. I'd focus on relic pulls when the rates are up for something you want or if you are having problems defeating content and you think it's because of your equipment.

Man i have a bunch of 3* and 4* armor i wanted to upgrade today. Figured I would run the daily all day, but I didn't realize how expensive it was to upgrade stuff at 4*. I managed to get two 4* items fully upgraded but now I'm out of gil. I guess now i see why people hoard so much on Saturday

I'm the opposite, I have nothing to upgrade, hoping for a third mythril armor. Have had shield and helm drop, but have maxed one of those each. Also still need to get that third black cowl. Tedious. Still have a of 150k left from last weekend.

Anko

RNGesus: "What's that? You got 10 black orbs the other day and want to draw one more time with your 5 shiny new mythrils?"

RNGesus: "Well, okay! Here's another black for you!"

I... Orz

Meier

60 bucks spent and I ended up with mostly 3*, no 5* at all even with the increased chances for 4 items. Well that sucks, but I expected it.

Spending more than a few dollars (if any) on a mobile game.....

Larry-David-Faints.gif

I was considering dropping some cash. Thank you for dissuading me.

I heard that in Japan they had an event where relic pulls using gems were discounted by 2/3 for a day. If you're going to drop some cash, that would be the time to do it, assuming the same event comes here. Frankly even if you don't get any 5*s, that doesn't instantly make it not worth it. 3* base items can be upgraded to 5*, I'm sure that even without any native 5* items, with proper record synergy and maxed out items, you can probably still master most elite dungeons in the game. But getting proper record synergy for every dungeon is going to be difficult and require a large bank of items to pull from. So all those 3 and 4* items, when levelled up, will really help.

Did an 11 draw with 50 mithril yesterday and didn't get a single 5*.
I've also spent money and got a genji shield and genji armor

elty

Yikes!!

If I ever spend real money on this game, it will ONLY be for storage... so that I know exactly what I get for my money. No gambling.

How many inventory slots does 100 gems get you? 1 slot, or 5 slots?

1 mythril = 100 gem = 5 slots
5 mythril = 300 gem = 1 relic draw

Shouta

I'm liking this trend!

"Mislabeled a boss weakness, here have a free Mithril."

"Simple spelling mistake, free Mithril!"

"So I heard you may not be feeling very well, free Mithril!"

"Jonny stubbed his toe in the office which sucks... Free Mithril!"

Yeah do that so often in the JP version, it's kinda awesome that I've made it so far without ever having paid a penny in it, lol

Z3M0G

1 mythril = 100 gem = 5 slots
5 mythril = 300 gem = 1 relic draw

Perfect. You can get 900 gems for ~$12, which would be 45 slots. Seems totally worth it.

Knowing what I get for my money is worth much more to me than a random chance at something good.

Yikes!!

If I ever spend real money on this game, it will ONLY be for storage... so that I know exactly what I get for my money. No gambling.

How many inventory slots does 100 gems get you? 1 slot, or 5 slots?

Pretty sure each inventory purchase is 5 slots. And an inventory purchase is either 100 gems or 1 mythril.

Spending money in these games is ok IMO as long as you don't approach it with the mindset of wanting a specific item. I did two 11 pulls the other day and I got I think 1 5 star, 4-5 four stars, and a bunch of 3 stars. And even though the 5* was an armor, I still am very happy with the results. I got a ton of III, V, and VI armor which, after upgrading, should allow me to handle all of the V and VI elites. The III stuff I'll just hold onto until they release regular III content. I checked the Japanese wiki and they have a ton of content going all the way through XIII and their difficulty rankings go as high as 120 or so. So I'm definitely going to get some good use out of all of this stuff.

I do feel like the rates on 5* are lower in the US version than in the Japanese version. Feels like 5% to me, whereas the Japanese version explicitly lists it as 10%. So it would be nice if we had parity there, and I don't think I'll pull again until they do that (mostly since I have enough to last me a long time anyway).

Posts like that one on reddit are definitely sad though. If you already know you have a problem with these types of games, best to just stay away.

Perfect. You can get 900 gems for ~$12, which would be 45 slots. Seems totally worth it.

Knowing what I get for my money is worth much more to me than a random chance at something good.

If you're going to buy gems anyway, then use them on the relic pull.

Suppose you have 10 mythril and 900 gems.

If you use the gems on inventory and the mythril on relic pulls, you will get 2 relic pulls and 45 inventory slots and be left with 0 of both currency.

If you go the other way though (mythril on inventory and gems on relic pull) you can get 3 relic pulls, 45 inventory slots, and still have 1 mythril left over.

Z3M0G

If you're going to buy gems anyway, then use them on the relic pull.

Suppose you have 10 mythril and 900 gems.

If you use the gems on inventory and the mythril on relic pulls, you will get 2 relic pulls and 45 inventory slots and be left with 0 of both currency.

If you go the other way though (mythril on inventory and gems on relic pull) you can get 3 relic pulls, 45 inventory slots, and still have 1 mythril left over.

Fine, that is starting to make sense. If I'm committing to spending $12-15 on the game, I might as well use the gems for pulls regardless... and use future mythril for inventory space.

Edit: New question, when I do a pull, does it matter which option I choose in the game? the IV or VII options? Or do they all lead to the same odds for everything? I find it silly if they split it into multiple buckets to draw from...

Kouriozan

I'm still hoarding my Mythrils, because right now I possibly can get tons of 5* items and if I use them, I'll only get like 1 5* which would be disappointing with 11 pulls.
Got 56 so far, and with the events coming, no doubt I can reach 100 easily.

garath

I spend my mythril as fast as I get it lol. Just pulled a 4* dagger and another 3* sword. The 3* sword was a dupe I was using on Cloud so voila. Instant 4* for Cloud. The dagger will go nicely on Drk Cecil when I'm done hitting the IV elites. Until then his max kunai is a beast lol.

I think in all the mythril I've gotten since starting the game, I've gotten all 3* and 2 4*. Not a single 5*. If that's not enough to dissuade me from spending money, I don't know what is.

Cleared all of the ff4 elites now except for baron castle... Not going to lie... I'm afraid. 2 bosses to split my magic around AND trying to juggle both arms exploding.... So scared.

Z3M0G

Spent $12 on 900 gems

- 3 start body armor
- 3 star throwing weapon
- 5 star Gengi Helmet

I guess I win this time...

Edit: I optimize my party and nobody even takes the fucking helmet... so I have a useless 5-star item... :/

nm. Tifa can't wear either my Gengi Helm or Gengi Shield... so she's out.

Need to decide which Cecil I want...

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Cleared all of the ff4 elites now except for baron castle... Not going to lie... I'm afraid. 2 bosses to split my magic around AND trying to juggle both arms exploding.... So scared.

use mythril to heal in between tbqh, especially since we're getting five free mythril this week or more.

Fine, that is starting to make sense. If I'm committing to spending $12-15 on the game, I might as well use the gems for pulls regardless... and use future mythril for inventory space.

Edit: New question, when I do a pull, does it matter which option I choose in the game? the IV or VII options? Or do they all lead to the same odds for everything? I find it silly if they split it into multiple buckets to draw from...

I've wondered the same thing. If it's any consolation, every 5* item is always in the pool. It's just that one or two items have a slightly better chance of coming out than the rest. I dont' think anyone knows if which thing you click on makes a difference, but even if it does you wouldn't be preventing yourself from getting the other item, it would just have the same rate as all the other 5*s.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
This is the part that gets me:
Know what's comical about this? In-App Purchases of this type are not considered gambling, though they really ought to be. In fact, I recall reading a discussion where this was debated, but if/when it's brought up, the gaming companies obviously don't want it termed as gambling. (Main reason being that they would not be legally allowed to let kids use IAP off parental accounts, no doubt.)
I'm immune to spending real money on gacha and other game systems based on gambling, but it's about time for this kind of thing to be better regulated (unless it already is and I'm uninformed).

This is the part that gets me:

I'm immune to spending real money on gacha and other game systems based on gambling, but it's about time for this kind of thing to be better regulated (unless it already is and I'm uninformed).

I think I read somewhere that it is in Japan. I can only speculate that that is why -- in almost every single one of these gacha games that comes out -- Japan always gets more free gems and better drop rates.

Like in the Japanese version is actually prints in the game that the 5* rate is 10%. Here they don't tell us what it is, and I suspect it is more like 5%

Red Mage

Trying to get the Elite Mastery for the Mist Cave reminds me why I hated the Mist Dragon in the FFIV GBA rematch. Such nonsense.

Am I the only person on GAF that refuses to spend money on microtransactions in mobile games? I feel like it's not that serious.

I refuse to, generally, as well. The only exception I made was $10 on Terra Battle because not only did I like the game, but wanted to throw a bone to Mistwalker early on.

Am I the only person on GAF that refuses to spend money on microtransactions in mobile games? I feel like it's not that serious.

I don't feel like any games I play are that serious, but I still end up spending money to play them, even if it means $60 for the box. People can spend money on leisurely non-serious activities too, though.

To answer your question though, no you're not the only person.

I don't generally because they are throw away, consumable items usually and a bloody rip off to boot. The only time I ever do spend money is to support the developer for a game I've enjoyed and I also get some said throw away item as a bonus.

SunGod

If your party dies, what exactly happens? I think I read somewhere you can restart the battle for the cost of one mythril, is that all? Are there any perks to using it?

I ask this because elite Vargas is giving me problems and I'm tempted to use a mythril if it makes my life easier...

mstevens

Don't really need any armor upgrade material right now, so I'm going to spend my day trying to grind out two more black cowls. I figure I'll give the cowl to Rydia and the 5* gown I have to Aeris whenever she decides to come be my healer ;)

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
If your party dies, what exactly happens? I think I read somewhere you can restart the battle for the cost of one mythril, is that all? Are there any perks to using it?

I ask this because elite Vargas is giving me problems and I'm tempted to use a mythril if it makes my life easier...

If you use a mythril you also get to pick between one of three minor bonuses, but they're not going to turn the tide of the battle.

SunGod

If you use a mythril you also get to pick between one of three minor bonuses, but they're not going to turn the tide of the battle.

I'm quite close to beating him, I can take out the two Ipoohs, if I can just blind him after that I'll win the fight for sure... so the bonuses might actually help. Any idea what they are?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I'm quite close to beating him, I can take out the two Ipoohs, if I can just blind him after that I'll win the fight for sure... so the bonuses might actually help. Any idea what they are?

Apparently it's random, not chosen, and the possibilities are:
+10% HP
+10% Offensive stats
+10% Defensive stats

Hope this helps

But I think if you respawn you restart the fight.

SunGod

Apparently it's random, not chosen, and the possibilities are:
+10% HP
+10% Offensive stats
+10% Defensive stats

Hope this helps

But I think if you respawn you restart the fight.

Ah okay, thank you very much! I might just give it a go...

Edit: Just saw that I might respawn if I restart... probably not worth it then!

You could try blinding him before you take out the two ipoohs, and if all your attempts and blind fail, close the app and restart and you will have all your abilities back. This will allow you to go into the round fresh every time until you get a good start with blind stuck.

Start the baron elite dungeon, blow through 3 stages, realize I forgot to put thundara back on Rydia... Whelp, that's 40 stamina wasted.

ZiggyST

Banned
Ah okay, thank you very much! I might just give it a go...

Edit: Just saw that I might respawn if I restart... probably not worth it then!

You start that battle only, for example if you use it on 4/4 (the boss stage) you start from the boss battle again, from 4/4 with the random bonuses.
Edit: you start with all the abilities charged, and any effect removed.

I used one because the helicopter killed my Rydia on his first turn ¬¬.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom