• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy: Record Keeper |OT| The only ATB here is Active Time Battle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Falk

that puzzling face
(super belated) protip that Tifa wrecks VII events/levels with her shitty 1* common Shinra tower drop gloves (upgraded to 3* and maxed out) if you have no good gacha rolls - there are no FFVII weapons for Cloud/Sephiroth to take advantage of outside their 5*s

They're on par with a 15/15 4* due to the ridiculous synergy scaling.

edit:
jfCKk2Zl.png

chrono01

(super belated) protip that Tifa wrecks VII events/levels with her shitty 1* common Shinra tower drop gloves (upgraded to 3* and maxed out) if you have no good gacha rolls - there are no FFVII weapons for Cloud/Sephiroth to take advantage of outside their 5*s

They're on par with a 15/15 4* due to the ridiculous synergy scaling.

edit:
jfCKk2Zl.png
Yeah, Synergy is crazy-powerful.

Falk

that puzzling face
Hold finger over character in party screen.

p.s. Armor Day nearly over, have exactly 1 mythril helm, 1 mythril armor, 1 mythril shield.

THANKS RNG FOR NOT GIVING ME THE SAME STUFF SO I CAN COMBINE

edit: could've sworn you were asking how to get to this screen. I think I'll just go to bed.

chrono01

Hold finger over character in party screen.

p.s. Armor Day nearly over, have exactly 1 mythril helm, 1 mythril armor, 1 mythril shield.

THANKS RNG FOR NOT GIVING ME THE SAME STUFF SO I CAN COMBINE
Thanks, I immediately discovered how after I posted my comment. >_<

And nope, you're not seeing things. It was a fast edit, haha.

Hm this is making me want to get the FFIV Complete for my Vita, though haven't played it before so I dunno.

Have played 1 and then everything past VI. With VI being my favourite, y'all think that IV will be easy enough to go back to?

Not sure if the gameplay and whatnot holds up, I had tried Phantasy Star II on recommendations but couldn't bear to play it, but I'm guessing IV is less archaic than that.

It's going to be hard for me to be bias free simply because I grew up on FF4 and I've beaten literally every version sans the one on steam... That said, I feel the game does hold up, but you're going to have to be okay with classic jrpg battles or you'll want to pass on it.

While many boss fights task you with coming up with strategies using your character abilities, most fights are of the boring variety. Luckily there is much less need to grind and the story holds up well, even if it feels a bit more cliche more than it did then.

Razmos

I think it's total bullshit that the bosses can start countering moves while you already have actions cued up, the mist dragon just did it three times in the same fight.

Just missed Master on Mom Bomb and SS Liki bosses on elite. Think I'll go back to bomb boss once I get Shiva summon. Should make it a breeze. Missed out on X's boss cause I couldn't blind attack him despite a few attempts.

Gil hard mode is a little tricky thanks to what seems like quite fast enemy attacks and being able to hit hard and confuse. But got it after 2nd attempt. Plenty of money now too.

Just need to get honing abilities and creating a couple of others.

Shahed

Looks like I can use Dark Cecil from Level 1 in his event. Just git him ane gave him a Kunai++ and the Mythril Shield+ I got yesterday and he's fine and one shotting enemies already. Is it possible to use the 3 FFIV characters until the last floor easily enough? May as well get the extra EXP.

SunGod

Looks like I can use Dark Cecil from Level 1 in his event. Just git him ane gave him a Kunai++ and the Mythril Shield+ I got yesterday and he's fine and one shotting enemies already. Is it possible to use the 3 FFIV characters until the last floor easily enough? May as well get the extra EXP.

Yep, it's exactly what I did. I started the dungeon with just Kain (40) and Rydia (8) and put Dark Cecil in as soon as I could. Kain at that level with Kunai++ was taking out most bosses in a hit or two.

Thank the gods for Figaro Castle... farming myself a ton of power orbs for blizzard strikes and charges... Those FF4 elite bosses are going down after a couple more days of this!

Also, free mithril week begins! Though for a draw all I got was another 3* FF12 sword... I have 4 of those now, and of course they are all different kinds so they are incredibly not useful.

Shahed

Okay this Hard mode Gil run is challenging without the gear and character synergy bonuses. Rydia gets one shotted and I need to be careful and hope Double Cut works properly. I could use Core classes, but bar Tyro none of them are near levelled to go into Hard. I'll fix that tomorrow. Still I should be able to complete the entire thing with some micro managing

Yep, it's exactly what I did. I started the dungeon with just Kain (40) and Rydia (8) and put Dark Cecil in as soon as I could. Kain at that level with Kunai++ was taking out most bosses in a hit or two.

Yeah seems like a plan. I'll put other characters back in for the last 2 boss areas just to make sure I don't waste Stamina, but I'm pretty sure they'll be incredibly easy at this point

Thank the gods for Figaro Castle... farming myself a ton of power orbs for blizzard strikes and charges... Those FF4 elite bosses are going down after a couple more days of this!

Also, free mithril week begins! Though for a draw all I got was another 3* FF12 sword... I have 4 of those now, and of course they are all different kinds so they are incredibly not useful.

Thank god for FFVI in general. Farming Orbs elsewhere on the Normal Daily's was hopeless. Hoping I'll be good enough to do Hard next time they come around. I'll never have enough L.Power and Wind Orbs :(

Shahadan

There is no button to optimize a character for a particular world/game right?

Also what is the music playing on the Party screen? I can't remember

Glix

I think it's total bullshit that the bosses can start countering moves while you already have actions cued up, the mist dragon just did it three times in the same fight.

It is fucking bullshit. You just have to attack with everyone twice (thrice if you wanna be risky) and then stop and wait for him to transform

It is fucking bullshit. You just have to attack with everyone twice (thrice if you wanna be risky) and then stop and wait for him to transform

Yeah, all fights should be the same spam the hardest spells and attacks I have and nothing more!

Come on guys, it's not that hard of a fight or a mechanic.

Final Fantasy VI airship, if it's the screen I'm thinking of.

It is, to be more specific it's the Airship theme from the World of Light. World of Ruin airship theme is different.

I can't believe you guys are complaining about this.

It's all about the timing. I've held back on more than a few occasions against the Mako Reactor boss in Elite so he doesn't suddenly switch to counter mode before one of my party members proceeds with an attack that was queued up beforehand.

Shahadan

Final Fantasy VI airship, if it's the screen I'm thinking of.

It is, to be more specific it's the Airship theme from the World of Light. World of Ruin airship theme is different.

Ah that was it, thank you both :)
the FFRK version sounds better so it confused me apparently.

On that other matter, I think the real bullshit was rather putting twice a boss you can only hit with magic/ranged at the end of a level. It's kinda a shitty thing to do. You have no way to know this before actually fighting (and losing to) it. And considering what you're given you have to plan your party way in advance.
Okay, it's only in an event, but still.

Rosur

Just unlocked Tifa today, worth leveling up to use? (party is Kain, Wakka, Dark Knight Cecil, Ryduaand Cloud atm)

Though annoyingly don't have enough time (due to being busy) to get to floor 70 for Sephiroth (hopefully the event will be back in the future).

Vorpal

Ah that was it, thank you both :)
the FFRK version sounds better so it confused me apparently.

On that other matter, I think the real bullshit was rather putting twice a boss you can only hit with magic/ranged at the end of a level. It's kinda a shitty thing to do. You have no way to know this before actually fighting (and losing to) it. And considering what you're given you have to plan your party way in advance.
Okay, it's only in an event, but still.

Reorganizing my party to accommodate flying bosses is probably the most interesting thing I've had to do in this game so far (outside of Elites). I agree that they should've made it clearer in advance, though. Either way, having to worry about counters and ranged-only bosses has been a plus for me. Auto-battle alone is way too boring.

Speaking of auto-battle, yesterday's Daily made me waaaay too cocky. I just want some gil, yo!
DxD7rIjl.png

Shahadan

Reorganizing my party to accommodate flying bosses is probably the most interesting thing I've had to do in this game so far (outside of Elites). I agree that they should've made it clearer in advance, though. Either way, having to worry about counters and ranged-only bosses has been a plus for me. Auto-battle alone is way too boring.

I'd welcome more ranged only bosses actually, the whole process is fun, I just want to be made aware of that before fighting it :p
And not during timed events preferably.
It's not a huge deal really, but had I not known from this thread that I had to prepare and maybe level up some particular character, I'd probably have missed getting Sephiroth before the end of the event.

Falk

that puzzling face
Reorganizing my party to accommodate flying bosses is probably the most interesting thing I've had to do in this game so far (outside of Elites).

Elites -will- wreck you until you start thinking outside the (obvious) box.

e.g. Tidus went from a shit-tier character to almost-essential for Elites because he can use a -lot- of different weapons (record synergy), Blind and Boost, and his Soul Break applies Slow.

Am i the only one who wakes up in the middle of the night and the first thing i think is " lemme use up all my stamina before going back to sleep"? Lol

Am i the only one who wakes up in the middle of the night and the first thing i think is " lemme use up all my stamina before going back to sleep"? Lol

I work at night, but I will often wake up during the day and at least try to do a couple quick rounds on something expensive even if it's inefficient to burn some mana.

Elites -will- wreck you until you start thinking outside the (obvious) box.

e.g. Tidus went from a shit-tier character to almost-essential for Elites because he can use a -lot- of different weapons (record synergy), Blind and Boost, and his Soul Break applies Slow.

I just wish that those Blind/Sleep attacks from Tidus would be slightly more accurate. Those things never stick... I need them to stick on Forza when he spawns after taking half of Magissa HP in FF5 North Mountain Elite. When they don't stick I get wrecked and I need to start over. I love how most strategy involves force closing the app if this or that spell does not stick in 1-2 tries. Can you image if this trick was not there...

Flambe

It's going to be hard for me to be bias free simply because I grew up on FF4 and I've beaten literally every version sans the one on steam... That said, I feel the game does hold up, but you're going to have to be okay with classic jrpg battles or you'll want to pass on it.

While many boss fights task you with coming up with strategies using your character abilities, most fights are of the boring variety. Luckily there is much less need to grind and the story holds up well, even if it feels a bit more cliche more than it did then.

Thanks, am giving it a shot =] Being PSP rather than PS1 I'm hoping for negligible load times (unlike VI rereleases =[ )

mstevens

I'm trying to blind Sinspawn Echuilles and I've casted Dark Attack 24+ times now with no luck. Horrible % chance to blind apparently...

edit: Ahh, the old neogaf reverse jinx. Blind worked the very next time. Mastery finally.

Falk

that puzzling face
I just wish that those Blind/Sleep attacks from Tidus would be slightly more accurate. Those things never stick... I need them to stick on Forza when he spawns after taking half of Magissa HP in FF5 North Mountain Elite. When they don't stick I get wrecked and I need to start over. I love how most strategy involves force closing the app if this or that spell does not stick in 1-2 tries. Can you image if this trick was not there...

While I do think the game could do with far less RNG (bosses should either be immune to something or it should stick when you use it, e.g. intended encounter design rather than this 80% resist garbage) to be absolutely fair you're talking about stuff which I honestly don't think you're supposed to be tackling just yet. They're supposed to be the long term carrot-on-a-sticks

I feel like at this point of time the general challenge/power level should be around beating Rufus. It's challenging, it requires preparation, but it doesn't require you to constantly restart till Blind sticks (not that that doesn't make it way easier, mind you)

With that in mind, It does feel like while the first, say, 4-5 elites are doable without pseudo-savescumming, the rest, aside from hardcore power players, are likely intended to be for when more than just the prologues of half the games (and their inherently shitty drops) are available. Considering VI classic's prologue already drops a tier higher than IV or X classic, I'm sure stuff like XIII classic endgame would drop 4*s like candy.

tl;dr to answer your question, yes, I can totally imagine a situation where the restart trick didn't work, and honestly maybe the game environment would have been better off long-term without it.

And again, I could do with less RNG (especially as it applies to bosses and debuffs) but hey, it's a gacha game and fundamentally RNG to begin with. :V

Xetherion

Mid 40s. I've only tried 4 rare relic pulls (right when I first started) and got Maneater, Crystal Sword (both 4* FF6 weapons) and a Main Gauche (3* FF6). I have a Boomerang++ on Tyro too but he was sitting in the back row defending until I had blind up on Vargas.

All 5 had Leather Armor++ equipped, I farmed those yesterday from the Cecil event (Mount Ordeals Station 2, to be precise) there might be a better place but I knew I got one there on my first run through so I just kept repeating it)

Also I don't post too often on GAF but I believe there's a rule about posting large images, is the screengrab I posted in my last post okay? Is the correct protocol to simply add an image into a quote box like that? (I think I read that somewhere once)

Would you happen to know which monster drops the Leather Armor? I've been trying to farm station 2 today, but all i get are Hammers from Bloodbones, Hair Bands from Skeletons, Longbows from Spirits, and Kunai from Ghouls.

Vorpal

Sometimes I complain about a drop rate or something on NeoGAF specifically because I know this will happen. It's a useful tool.

On a completely unrelated note, I have yet to receive any 5* equipment from relic draws. Not that I'm complaining or anything. I would never do that. In fact, I don't even know why I'm writing this post! Might as well hit submit

On a completely unrelated note, I have yet to receive any 5* equipment from relic draws. Not that I'm complaining or anything. I would never do that. In fact, I don't even know why I'm writing this post! Might as well hit submit

Gacha rates are the worst. Only 5* I got was the Buster Sword! Not enough!

:)

Blank!

So just started and I already feel lost. Is there something particular I should do at the very beginning other than go through the "story" mode? I dipped into the daily today on easy but I haven't touched any upgrading/orbs/etc. I probably shouldn't be this nervous "wasting" resources but I'm always hesitant to do anything in these games else I screw myself out of something later.

Plaguefox

Has anyone else encountered a bug where Record Keeper won't save your "Push Notifications" setting? I can go into the Config menu and adjust volumes and it'll save those changes when I close the menu, but if I turn off push notifications from within the game, it immediately turns them back on when I close the menu. This happens even when I change the volume and change the notification setting at once: it save my volume changes and reverts the push notifications to "On."

I know I can tell the operating system to ignore notifications from applications and I've used that to get around this, but I'm still curious about whether this is something people have seen before or whether I'm just unlucky with the way the game behaves with my phone. I've had a lot of weird and wildly inconsistent framerate issues too, which seems weird on a Moto X 2nd gen, but that's a different story altogether.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom