• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy: Record Keeper |OT| The only ATB here is Active Time Battle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vorpal

Is there some sort of bug when transitioning between fights? The ATB gauge always goes up or down.

That's deliberate, as far as I know. Each battle begins by randomizing everyone's ATB gauge. I assume it's to prevent making players feel like they need to queue up actions for subsequent battles.

It is completely random though so if you start a battle and everyones atb is empty or the characters who can 1 shot things aren't going first you can close the app and reopen it to get a different starting atb for everyone

Shahed

It is completely random though so if you start a battle and everyones atb is empty or the characters who can 1 shot things aren't going first you can close the app and reopen it to get a different starting atb for everyone
If you really wanted to yeah. Don't see the point myself unless you take heavy damage or get a really bad status effect. The only time I've ever used it is on the Hard Mode dungeons today and yesterday where Rydia or someone dies before I get a turn

Falk

that puzzling face
Think I'm just gonna refer to that mechanic as savescumming going forward. One word is so much faster than the phrase, and Lord knows it's gonna be more and more prominent going forward.

Ashodin

Of the two, Pally is the far more disposable IMO. Still debating his overall role in my team... It's nice to have a tanky healer, but his heals are so lack luster... I think I'm keeping him in just in the hopes he gets better with some more levels (he just hit level 30).

My Cecil is near 40 and he gives no fucks.

Shahed

Think I'm just gonna refer to that mechanic as savescumming going forward. One word is so much faster than the phrase, and Lord knows it's gonna be more and more prominent going forward.

You mean cheating? That's essentially what it is. Personally I only use it when someone dies before I get a turn and a chance to cure them. I wouldn't in a normal game, but if the choice is 'reloading' or wasting sometimes 20-40 Stamina and 2 hours to get back and have anothers crack at something, then I'll happily cheat. Now micro managing every single turn for the best and most efficient return? Forget that. There's a reason I decided to skip on the Dark Attack strategy for Rufus.

Falk

that puzzling face
No, savescumming is accurate. Restarting 20 times to get that 10% Blind to latch is categorically identical to reloading the same save 20 times to get that critical 10% shot to land in <insert tactical RPG here>.

Whether it has negative connotations, is totally up to you. Me? I'm abusing the shit out of it until Square sees the need to fix it, especially right now when all our Elite bosses have 2x the HP of their JP counterparts.

F2P games use all kinds of cheap tactics to attempt to get you to spend money, personally any build in ways to manipulate the system in your favor are totally okay with me.

CTLance

Just how much are you people grinding, my party has just arrived at the 30s on average, with benchers like Wakka still noobing it out at around level ten.

Disclosure: Since there's no loot drops I kinda dislike the XP daily. Meh. Wish there as some sort of twist to this dungeon. How about a summoning orb every three runs? Yes? Please? I'm so tired of smacking Cecil around.

Falk

that puzzling face
Summoning Orbs have dropped only from Events for as long as the JP service has been active, I believe.

Shahed

I don't reallty use it that much since I've never really felt the need to. Saying that the only Elites I've done are the FFVII ones. I'm probably strong enough for quite a few of the lower ranked ones in the other worlds as well, but I've been in no rush to do the Elites. They'll get done eventually, for now I just wanna build my gear and abilities up. Now if I was doing the harder elites, I might have a different mindset!

No, savescumming is accurate. Restarting 20 times to get that 10% Blind to latch is categorically identical to reloading the same save 20 times to get that critical 10% shot to land in <insert tactical RPG here>.

Whether it has negative connotations, is totally up to you. Me? I'm abusing the shit out of it until Square sees the need to fix it, especially right now when all our Elite bosses have 2x the HP of their JP counterparts.

Every one of these types of games has a similar "exploit" if you can even call it that. They know about it and don't care. If anything they probably like it. Giving people the sense that they're getting one up on the system keeps people coming back for more, once you're past the casual phase these games are all about min maxing, and the encounters are tuned such that you can't beat them without doing it

Mxrz

The scoring in this game makes so little sense. Doing the Hard Daily, master the first two stages. Get to the last round of the third stage no problem. Then a mob hits with 'Death' right before it dies. I get a low expert, and 2 stars for the whole dungeon. Bleh

Its the bosses insane HP on elite I'm a bit bored of.
Most do little damage to me and my guys are hitting most if them for like over a grand a piece and the battle still goes in for 5+mins coz they have like a zillion HP.
Its nauseating.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Its the bosses insane HP on elite I'm a bit bored of.
Most do little damage to me and my guys are hitting most if them for like over a grand a piece and the battle still goes in for 5+mins coz they have like a zillion HP.
Its nauseating.

Yeah it's a big turnoff, I can't lie. Some of them I am simply pounding, but there's no end in sight. Getting boring if this is their approach to engaging game design. Make everything a damage sponge.

Doylee

Neo Member
Guessing because we are able to use record synergy from the get go. Japanese players have mentioned a few times that the beginning of the game with events and all were pretty difficult without it.

thedan001

Im sure they adjusted elites because of record synergy, and it's difficult from the get-go while JP had time to get good pulls later in the game when synergy bonuses was added

I'm not too worried about elites since they get easier as updates keep coming

Roto13

I hope we start getting actual new features soon. I don't know how long it took Japan to get things like sped up auto battles, but I'd rather not have to wait for some unnecessary artificial timeline.

B.K.

I downloaded the game a few days ago. I'm not too far into it so far; I've just unlocked Final Fantasy V. I don't suppose anything happens to change up things, does it? Right now, it's so repetitive that I'm starting to get bored with it. Every level is the same thing over and over again. I'll be glad when I can start making abilities. So far, all I'm doing is spamming Attack over and over.

Falk

that puzzling face
you are still safe and should quit while you can

the rest of us are beyond redemption

edit: Despite it being 40 stam a pop I think I'm gonna bite the bullet and farm Dark Knight for summons.

Shiva looking pretty good right about now for Baigan and Mom Bomb

mstevens

Now that my main party is in their early 40s, I've started to switch out 2-3 of them at a time to level up other named characters. That way they are ready if I want to use them in their game.

Poor Tidus is finally going to see some action...

you are still safe and should quit while you can

the rest of us are beyond redemption

edit: Despite it being 40 stam a pop I think I'm gonna bite the bullet and farm Dark Knight for summons.

Shiva looking pretty good right about now for Baigan and Mom Bomb

You can probably use the airplane mode trick to guarantee you at least get an orb out of that 40 stamina

Falk

that puzzling face
You can probably use the airplane mode trick to guarantee you at least get an orb out of that 40 stamina

I FULLY INTENDED TO

N O R E G E R T S

edit: oh shit today's Ice orb daily

ok I guess Summon Orb farming is on hold.

YOU ESCAPE THIS TIME DARK KNIGHT

thedan001

Dark Knight drops either normal summoning orb or greater summoning orb

My plan is just run both Cecil's and Rydia auto-attack for the exp (Kain is lv45 with main team)

I'm okay whichever orb I get, gonna save greater orbs and make Shiva as soon as I can
Finished with ice orbs, 5/10 normal summon orbs, halfway there...

After Shiva, my next goal is magic/power breaks, then clear elites, might need to work on honing, meh

I downloaded the game a few days ago. I'm not too far into it so far; I've just unlocked Final Fantasy V. I don't suppose anything happens to change up things, does it? Right now, it's so repetitive that I'm starting to get bored with it. Every level is the same thing over and over again. I'll be glad when I can start making abilities. So far, all I'm doing is spamming Attack over and over.

The basic story stuff is there to gear you up for events and elites, which are the real meat and potatoes of the game... Those require specific gear, abilities, and strategies to beat.

Falk

that puzzling face
Lesser Power Orbs also drop reasonably frequently from the first stage of South Figaro Cave.

p.s. didn't realize till a couple of days ago that which stage in a painting matters - for example, Bandits in Imperial Camp VI drop:

- Lesser Earth Orb at Entrance
- Lesser Black Orb at Northeast
- Lesser Wind Orb at North

hence for Wind you'd want to blow 10stam to get past the first two then repeatedly run the third. (Obviously this doesn't apply today as it's Wind/Ice/Holy/N-E daily)

any tips on the last boss to get paladin Cecil? Died on my 1st attempt, my parties level 22ish.

If all else fails, put everyone on the back row and only use defense and healing spells, and wait him out til he gets tired and goes home.

I think most people were pretty over leveled when they hit him and just powered through, but the former is a viable option as well... Also, just about any FF4 gear you have will be better than any non-FF4 gear due to how crazy weapon synergy bonuses are.

Shahed

Lesser Power Orbs also drop reasonably frequently from the first stage of South Figaro Cave.

p.s. didn't realize till a couple of days ago that which stage in a painting matters - for example, Bandits in Imperial Camp VI drop:

- Lesser Earth Orb at Entrance
- Lesser Black Orb at Northeast
- Lesser Wind Orb at North

hence for Wind you'd want to blow 10stam to get past the first two then repeatedly run the third. (Obviously this doesn't apply today as it's Wind/Ice/Holy/N-E daily)

Oh yeah. For South Figaro Cave I get Power for the first, Fire second and Ice on the third.

Also don't be afraid to save scum dark cecile, if he starts the battles with 3-4 darknesses you may want to force close the app, reopen until you get a battle where he starts off mostly doing regular attacks. Back row everyone and heal/protect when you can with Tyro and/or Rydia

Shahed

any tips on the last boss to get paladin Cecil? Died on my 1st attempt, my parties level 22ish.

What kind of gear are you using? I had two characters with Kunai++ who do a lot of damage on that event. You can farm them quite fast on Station 5 where Dark Cecil, Rydia and Kain can do on their own easy enough amd get bonus exp. I had a couple Wizard Hats++ but I can't remember where they dropped. Probably from somewhere i was farming Wind Orbs for Double Cut. I was only slightly higher level than you, but the gear meant I killed him before he got his second turn off

EDIT: Made a mistake. I got all the Kunai's from South Figaro Cave when Power Orb farming

Magnus

Oh God. Never even played it. Got turned off by all the negative impressions and videos. Erased it from memory. Lol.

Is this game much better? I was digging the approach as I played the first 15 mins or so, but it throws a million system mechanics at you via tutorial, and still somehow bores you with simple battles early on. Not grabbing me. Worth persisting with it?

Oh God. Never even played it. Got turned off by all the negative impressions and videos. Erased it from memory. Lol.

Is this game much better? I was digging the approach as I played the first 15 mins or so, but it throws a million system mechanics at you via tutorial, and still somehow bores you with simple battles early on. Not grabbing me. Worth persisting with it?

The harder bosses require a bit more thought and planning, but the majority of the game is going to be spent auto battling/farming for materials, items, etc. If you're not digging some sweet nostalgia, it probably won't get much better for you.

It's a few times a day, 10 minute time waster... and for what it actually is, it's pretty nice.

To answer your question, yes. This is actually a game and therefore automatically better than All the Bravest.

Surprised that works, I'll give this way a go. Though guess you don't get mastery from doing it this way.

No, but the event lasts for a while yet and you can always use it as a stop gap and come back (you'll likely want to anyways to farm a few summon orbs)

Oh neat, I can make Comet now... wonder if it's worth it? Non-elemental damage doesn't seem anything great on it's own, but it is a tier 3 spell...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom