• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy: Record Keeper |OT| The only ATB here is Active Time Battle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MicH

Do we know how long this event will run? Apparently the JP one ran for 7 says so hopefully it's the same for us. I can't wait to get Aeris so I can kick Tyro out of my party

Shouta

I wouldn't worry too much about the accessories as you'll get chances to get them later or better versions down the road if the rewards for missions stay the same. Focus on getting Aeris and her related items first then maybe get the others if you have time.

elty

The new event seems horrible for summon orb.current event gives a normal and a chance of greater for 41 stamina. Orb in the New event cost 500 which is the equivalent of 80 stamina. Greater orb is just outrageous at 6000.

I wouldn't worry too much about the accessories as you'll get chances to get them later or better versions down the road if the rewards for missions stay the same. Focus on getting Aeris and her related items first then maybe get the others if you have time.

You played the JP version right? Do you know if/when there will be events that will be inaccessible to a portion of the player base that isn't levelled / geared up appropriately? So far it seems they're going for events that anyone can complete. Does it stay this way or does the difficulty curve spike eventually?

Shouta

You played the JP version right? Do you know if/when there will be events that will be inaccessible to a portion of the player base that isn't levelled / geared up appropriately? So far it seems they're going for events that anyone can complete. Does it stay this way or does the difficulty curve spike eventually?

Normal versions can always be completed by everyone except maybe folks that just started during that event. The elites spike up later on as they add more new skills and tiers to the point where even with all 5 star gear that's maxed and at level 50+ you'll have a hard time finishing the last dungeon in an event. You'll need abilities with enough uses, the right strategy to beat, the right equipment, the synergy etc.

I'm stuck on the second to last dungeon in the current event in the JP, Edward and Mog, a music collaboration dungeon with FF Bra Bra or whtaever. The boss is Dark Cecil who has probably 125k HP and can hit you with his Darkness skill for ridiculous damage unless you hit him with a Hi-Power Break and you have Protect on, lol

Normal versions can always be completed by everyone except maybe folks that just started during that event. The elites spike up later on as they add more new skills and tiers to the point where even with all 5 star gear that's maxed and at level 50+ you'll have a hard time finishing the last dungeon in an event. You'll need abilities with enough uses, the right strategy to beat, the right equipment, the synergy etc.

I'm stuck on the second to last dungeon in the current event in the JP, Edward and Mog, a music collaboration dungeon with FF Bra Bra or whtaever. The boss is Dark Cecil who has probably 125k HP and can hit you with his Darkness skill for ridiculous damage unless you hit him with a Hi-Power Break and you have Protect on, lol

Ahh, I didn't even know "normal" and "elite" events were a thing. Currently global only has 1 difficulty of an event. What are the differences in drops between normal and elite versions of the same event? Are their characters, abilities, or anything like that that are exclusive to the elite versions of the events?

The new event seems horrible for summon orb.current event gives a normal and a chance of greater for 41 stamina. Orb in the New event cost 500 which is the equivalent of 80 stamina. Greater orb is just outrageous at 6000.

No kidding, I've been farming dark Cecil as much as possible due to this realization, too bad I didn't realize it earlier. I have 8 normal and six greater, hopefully can get at least shiva

Shouta

Ahh, I didn't even know "normal" and "elite" events were a thing. Currently global only has 1 difficulty of an event. What are the differences in drops between normal and elite versions of the same event? Are their characters, abilities, or anything like that that are exclusive to the elite versions of the events?

Well they're called Normal and Force in the JP versions. So it might be called Force in the US version but it's usually a separate screen that you access from the upper right in a world. It gives you a harder version of the events and regular dungeons.

The rewards are typically higher end orbs 3 stars or more, some gear, mithril, accessories, and in the case of events, the item that raises the level cap for characters to 65 and unlocks their Record Materia slot.

The hard versions of bosses have WAY more HP and are very powerful. The current FFX dungeon in the JP event has bosses with 150,000 HP for example.

Well they're called Normal and Force in the JP versions. So it might be called Force in the US version but it's usually a separate screen that you access from the upper right in a world. It gives you a harder version of the events and regular dungeons.

The rewards are typically higher end orbs 3 stars or more, some gear, mithril, accessories, and in the case of events, the item that raises the level cap for characters to 65 and unlocks their Record Materia slot.

The hard versions of bosses have WAY more HP and are very powerful. The current FFX dungeon in the JP event has bosses with 150,000 HP for example.

We have that for story dungeons, but not for events (Normal=Classic, Force=Elite in the global terminology). But right now there is just no Elite version of events, only the regular story dungeons. So do you mean when there's an event like say the Aerith event or the Sephiroth event, in the JP version there will be both normal and force versions?

I guess ultimately what I'm wondering is whether the playerbase will eventually be fragmented into "those who pay" and "those who don't". I played PAD and Brave Frontier for a while, and it was very obvious. New events would be released that would reward new character drops, but they would basically be off limits to anyone who wasn't paying due to the extreme difficulty. It sounds like the EX dungeons in the JP version are similar, but it's still not clear to me how important that content is. If the memory crystal unlock and the record materia slot are behind the force versions of the events, and those are very hard, then maybe it will be pretty important and I can see some fragmentation happening that way. Is it possible to clear those without ever paying? But it also sounds like, at least from what I can tell, there's never entire characters that are locked behind this kind of difficulty? Is that right?

Shouta

We have that for story dungeons, but not for events (Normal=Classic, Force=Elite in the global terminology). But right now there is just no Elite version of events, only the regular story dungeons. So do you mean when there's an event like say the Aerith event or the Sephiroth event, in the JP version there will be both normal and force versions?

Yeah. The later events will have Force/Elite versions of the dungeons. It actually should start with Rinoa according to the Muketsu page which is 4 events away from where you guys are.

Memory Crystal unlocks should be doable even for folks that don't buy Mithril. They're usually 2-4 dungeons into the Force versions of the event which is typically very doable with just 3-4 star gear.

Characters = Pretty much always attainable unless you just started at the time the even takes place.
Memory Crystal = attainable if you spent some time leveling even just the 3-4 gear and getting your abilities a few levels in.
Rare accessories, crystals, orbs = for folks that have been playing awhile, usually have abilities with lots of uses, perfect synergy, or 5 star gear.

Red Mage

Seems like a cruel joke to have Mog and Edward rewards for something that hard.

Yeah, but I imagine other events will offer similar rewards like the first two, so I am not worried about it. Right now I'm trying to get enough White Orbs for Curaga.

I started Elite Dungeon to try and get one more pull for Cecil's gears, didn't realize the stamina needed would be so high.

I should still eek by though.

Shouta

Seems like a cruel joke to have Mog and Edward rewards for something that hard..

Nah, again Edward and Mog are easy to get, they're given out for the "Everyone can beat it" dungeons. It's some of the unique abilities that are hard to get in the dungeon. The Dark Cecil one is the 2nd to last dungeon in the event. I've already gotten Mog and Edward + their Crystals.

Mog/Edward dungeon actually is similar to the Greens one for Aerith but not as bad. Memory Crystals are 1200 a piece and you get Musical Note rewards for finishing a dungeon on top of drops. The harder dungeons give like 50-100 notes per drop from the enemy heh

TheContact

Besides the first time rewards in the FF7 dungeon (I sold the katanas by accident), is there any other good weapon for Sephiroth for the event coming up? Also is normal Antlions Den the best way to farm protect vests?

Red Mage

Nah, again Edward and Mog are easy to get, they're given out for the "Everyone can beat it" dungeons. It's some of the unique abilities that are hard to get in the dungeon. The Dark Cecil one is the 2nd to last dungeon in the event. I've already gotten Mog and Edward + their Crystals.

Mog/Edward dungeon actually is similar to the Greens one for Aerith but not as bad. Memory Crystals are 1200 a piece and you get Musical Note rewards for finishing a dungeon on top of drops. The harder dungeons give like 50-100 notes per drop from the enemy heh

Ah.
BTW, what is Edgar's ultimate weapon?

Shouta

Ah.
BTW, what is Edgar's ultimate weapon?

His 5 Star when his event was up was a Partisan that gave him Bio Blaster as a Soul Break. with it doing actual damage and not just poisoning. i didn't pull that one though. I pulled a Golden Spear instead. =( 5 Star weapon and powerful but I wanted the Bio Blaster, lol

Meier

I have tried for this black cowl at least 30 times now over a variety of play throughs and re-load/flees without getting a single one. Incredible.

Wouldn't ya know it, after another 5 or so tries I finally got one and then I made my way through the battles again and I've gotten it twice in a row now. Heh.

It's actually a pretty major drop in defense and some other categories from Rydia's White Robes (4* relic pull) so I didn't give it to her yet. Equipped it with Tyro for now as it was only a drop in defense from Ice Armor that I was using.

I've noticed they are obsessed with climbing things in their events.

First we have climbing shinra's headquarters. Next we have climbing mount ordeal. And now we have climbing the staircase to the to the controls for the sector (
also why are there controls to drop a freaking section of the city down?
)

Whats the secret to mastering the last floor on the Cecil event? I always get at least 1-2 kos on dark knight, that only gives expert rating, that combines with the 3 prior champion ratings and still only nets me a silver completion.

What is the trick!?

Cybrwzrd

Banned
Whats the secret to mastering the last floor on the Cecil event? I always get at least 1-2 kos on dark knight, that only gives expert rating, that combines with the 3 prior champion ratings and still only nets me a silver completion.

What is the trick!?

Levels and equipment mostly. I had trouble getting champ in low/mid 30s, but high 30's it is pretty easy to survive 2-3 darknesses.

Levels and equipment mostly. I had trouble getting champ in low/mid 30s, but high 30's it is pretty easy to survive 2-3 darknesses.

I think I mastered it in high 20s. There really wasn't much too it. Max out Rydia's Rod and give her 4 Thundara spells and she can make short work of the dark knight. I think he died in like 3 rounds.

Yeah. The later events will have Force/Elite versions of the dungeons. It actually should start with Rinoa according to the Muketsu page which is 4 events away from where you guys are.

Memory Crystal unlocks should be doable even for folks that don't buy Mithril. They're usually 2-4 dungeons into the Force versions of the event which is typically very doable with just 3-4 star gear.

Characters = Pretty much always attainable unless you just started at the time the even takes place.
Memory Crystal = attainable if you spent some time leveling even just the 3-4 gear and getting your abilities a few levels in.
Rare accessories, crystals, orbs = for folks that have been playing awhile, usually have abilities with lots of uses, perfect synergy, or 5 star gear.

I'm probably just a strange one, but I actually kind of don't like this. I guess I'll have to wait and see what these accessories and crystals do, but I kind of like for their to be impossibly difficult content that has unique character rewards. I don't know, I feel like when you've cleared everything there is to clear, why bother continuing to level up? I prefer it when entire blocks of content are blocked on levels / gear, as opposed to just more gear being blocked on levels / gear.

As an example, I really loved vanilla WoW and Burning Crusade. They had all these insanely difficult raids like Black Temple, Sunwell Plateau, etc. And even though I couldn't clear any of it, I was basically guaranteed to always have something to look forward to, even if it was a year or two years down the line after it had been beaten for the first time.

It seems like with the current set up, if you can clear all the content on normal, there's no compelling reason to push yourself to clear it on Elite. I mean you get better gear, but you're just getting better gear so you can clear harder versions of things you've already cleared. There's not as strong a sense of excitement for me going into an Elite dungeon of something I've already cleared as there is of going into something brand new. And if they put unique characters behind those as well, it only adds to the excitement. It's like back in the days of WoW where you'd see like 1 person running around with a Thunderfury, and even though you knew you could never get it, it was still awesome just knowing that someone else did.

Roto13

Doo doo doo, auto battling my way through the Hard ability orb daily, doo doo doo, getting Champion on every floor, doo doo doo

Falk

that puzzling face
I went from Oceanic firsts throughout the vanilla to the first half of WotLK then when I moved to the US, I raided with Premonition for a while before quitting.

Oceanic pings and raiding are something I never want to ever go through again. Virtually all different flavors of cancer each night.

(But I digress)

garath

Where are you guys grinding the lesser wind orbs? It's my bottleneck for more doubt cuts and honing of said double cuts. I want at least one more for Tifa. She's going to be a monster for the event with FFVII gloves and character.

I'm doing FFVI Imperial camp right now. Getting them about 30% of the time so 15 stamina each give or take :/

edit: and just as I say that I get 4 in one go. Lol.

I think aeris willreplace the white mage, but I'm not sure who else would be an upgrade (thinking about dropping the record keeper character?)

I missed out on Sephiroth, but got tifa.

I also am having trouble getting specific orbs and some of these weapons are dog shit but I haven't dug into farming for items and stuff yet.

I need lesser holy orbs to get cura, and not having looked up farming locations I'm kinda stuck with what I have right now.

ideas?

my current party is

LV. 25 Cloud
5* Masamune
2* Bone Mail
1* Power Wrist
Blade Bash
Thunder Strike

LV. 23 Tidus
3* Rune Blade
3* Ice Shield
1* Power Wrist
Blade Bash
Boost

LV. 23 main guy whatever
3* Platinum Sword
2* Kenpo Gi
1* Power Wrist
Blade Bash
Fire

LV. 22 Dark Knight Cecil
3* Dancing Dagger
3* Silver Armlet
1* Power Wrist
Blade Bash

LV. 23 White Mage
4* Light Staff
4* Crystal Bangle
2* Talisman
Cure
Protect

Falk

that puzzling face
Where are you guys grinding the lesser wind orbs? It's my bottleneck for more doubt cuts and honing of said double cuts. I want at least one more for Tifa. She's going to be a monster for the event with FFVII gloves and character.

I'm doing FFVI Imperial camp right now. Getting them about 30% of the time so 15 stamina each give or take :/

edit: and just as I say that I get 4 in one go. Lol.

You should note that the bandits drop orbs and the type they drop differ based on which stage you're playing.

Lesser Wind Orbs drop from Bandits in Imperial Camp - North. That's the third stage. In the first two, bandits drop Lesser Black and Earth Orbs

So you just blow 10 stam on the first two, then farm the third (North) over and over.

B.K.

Dark Knight Cecil at the top of Mt. Ordeals just kicked my ass bad. My characters are level 23, but I don't really have any good armor or weapons. I've had really bad luck with Daily Relic and Rare Draws.

Negator

I'm probably just a strange one, but I actually kind of don't like this. I guess I'll have to wait and see what these accessories and crystals do, but I kind of like for their to be impossibly difficult content that has unique character rewards. I don't know, I feel like when you've cleared everything there is to clear, why bother continuing to level up? I prefer it when entire blocks of content are blocked on levels / gear, as opposed to just more gear being blocked on levels / gear.

As an example, I really loved vanilla WoW and Burning Crusade. They had all these insanely difficult raids like Black Temple, Sunwell Plateau, etc. And even though I couldn't clear any of it, I was basically guaranteed to always have something to look forward to, even if it was a year or two years down the line after it had been beaten for the first time.

It seems like with the current set up, if you can clear all the content on normal, there's no compelling reason to push yourself to clear it on Elite. I mean you get better gear, but you're just getting better gear so you can clear harder versions of things you've already cleared. There's not as strong a sense of excitement for me going into an Elite dungeon of something I've already cleared as there is of going into something brand new. And if they put unique characters behind those as well, it only adds to the excitement. It's like back in the days of WoW where you'd see like 1 person running around with a Thunderfury, and even though you knew you could never get it, it was still awesome just knowing that someone else did.

I think the normal/elite challenges are fine. Casual players will be able to clear things and get their characters, and hardcore players will be able to get more out of the game.

Well as someone that actually did raid in Vanilla WoW and BC that passed on bindings and actually did receive things like Warglaives on the other side of the fence of people that actually could get the gear, let me tell you that 'impossibly hard content' is fine, but content that is literally impossible even with the most dedicated players isn't a good thing. Nobody liked pre-nerf M'uru or C'thun, only masochists that thought virtually unkillable bosses that could only result in a wipe were happy with that crap.

I assume you dislike the current wow model where there are 4 difficulties. Do you feel like you have seen everything there is to see if you finish the bosses in Looking for Raid?

As a player like that, if I play all the time and I am unable to beat the content without forking over hundreds of dollars, why would you want content that is essentially pay gated? There are over 25 events and 6 months of content that we have to look forward to, and there will be more by the time we get all the events that we currently know the Japanese have.

Falk

that puzzling face
Nobody liked pre-nerf M'uru or C'thun

p.s. we did pre-nerf M'uru just fine (BARE DODJE STRONK) while disconnecting all over the place with Oceanic pings.

C'thun yeah, I get your point. The worst part is you were obliged to keep throwing yourself at it because there was a precedent for hotfix nerfs and you didn't want to be left out of a potential world first when that happened.

(Naxx40 Kel'Thuzad EU vs NA drama lol)

thedan001

I have 50 mythril for the 11 pull

I have Buster Sword, Lust Shield and Genji Armor for my 5*'s so far

Should I pull during Aeris 5* for aoe heal soul break?
Or wait for next week? It's Terra's 5* which is her magic sword doing 9999 damage aoe fira soul break

My white mage is lv47, I loved using her... Aeris will replace her after lv50 but I am lacking an aoe attack soul break, Sephiroth is lv22 atm and no summons yet. I have the orbs to make Shiva but someone in JP told me to wait before making them, idk why (looks like quests will come out with tasks to do, such as creating a specific summon)

Falk

that puzzling face
I dunno man, Shiva helps a ton for VI elites as it is right now due to all the AOE-friendly bosses. Incidentally Ramuh does that even more, but there's also a 4* Thunder summon.

DECISIONS, DECISIONS.

I think though ultimately though in the long run another 10 3* summon orbs is a drop in the bucket for quests vs upgrading Shiva/Ifrit/Ramuh from 4/5 to 5/5.

thedan001

For players that havn't cleared elite dungeons yet, Shiva is a great tool

I'm another member of the 49 stamina club, I joined post-nerf admittedly
single attack all the things! x.x

johnsmith

remember me
3* orbs aren't exciting when you need 10 of them to hone an ability, game. Stop making a big deal out of it every time. It's worse than Zelda in making a big deal out of mundane items every damn time.

Magnus

The harder bosses require a bit more thought and planning, but the majority of the game is going to be spent auto battling/farming for materials, items, etc. If you're not digging some sweet nostalgia, it probably won't get much better for you.

It's a few times a day, 10 minute time waster... and for what it actually is, it's pretty nice.

To answer your question, yes. This is actually a game and therefore automatically better than All the Bravest.

Thanks. Nostalgia aside, which I enjoy, I think I might actually sit this one out. I was definitely looking for a new regular go-to on my iPhone to kill 10-20 minutes here or there, but then Hearthstone stealth-released yesterday....so I'm set for the next few...years. Haha.

MicH

Amy tops for the last FFIV elite? (the one with two bosses) I could barely beat the guy with the exploding arms :/

aravuus

Dayum, dat difference with forced GPU rendering. OPO has such an insane battery life anyway I think I'm gonna leave it on.

So yeah, thanks to whoever it was that posted that tip. I was on the verge of uninstalling the game because of the choppyness but I kept going cause I wanted to play a game like this, and Monster Squad is getting super frustrating.

Dark Knight Cecil at the top of Mt. Ordeals just kicked my ass bad. My characters are level 23, but I don't really have any good armor or weapons. I've had really bad luck with Daily Relic and Rare Draws.

Set yourself up to do lots of damage ASAP. Rydia + thundara is nice but she has to be able to live. Buff and full heal before his wave. Buffs carry between waves right? I beat him a few times with one guy left.

Shahed

Curaga is ballerrrrrr
I wouldn't know! Neither P.Cecil or Rydia can use it. Will have to wait till I get Aeris. Heck I'm thinking I might have a Black/white magic on each of Aeris and Rydia. If thw extra heal is unnecessary I'll just go full nuke with Rydia instead. How am I going to fit Terra in :(
My Tyro is equipped with Light Rod + Curaga. 1200 heals all day
Well Rydia does a 1000 with Cura. She does have a 15/15 Gravity Rod and White Robe on though

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom