• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy: Record Keeper |OT| The only ATB here is Active Time Battle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roto13

I only vaguely remembered something about breaking the pyramids by attacking them. I don't blame anyone who forgot entirely. Very little of Final Fantasy VII was memorable to me.

I might end up regretting this, but I'm gonna sell off all my Rank 1 aabilities. Make selecting more annoying with the scrolling

You probably have enough orbs to remake them all by now anyway. :p

garath

I've played every ff game ever made and to be honest I don't remember half the stuff in any of them. What I remember from 7 is basically sephiroth, shinra, aerith dies, cloud has spiky hair and a huge sword.

But I'm probably older than most, and played everything right at release, so it's been a while

I'm with you. I literally played FF7 when it came out in the late 90s and not since. I was in college at the time.. :)

Shahed

Being from Europe, FFVII was my first ever RPG let alone Final Fantasy. So even if its been over a decade, I remember pretty much everything. It was only when the older games were rereleased on PS1, PSP and DS that I played them.

I only vaguely remembered something about breaking the pyramids by attacking them. I don't blame anyone who forgot entirely. Very little of Final Fantasy VII was memorable to me.

You probably have enough orbs to remake them all by now anyway. :p

I'd already sold them all for money! Besides they'll be easy enough to get again if needed.The only one I kept was Protect.

Gandalf

Just did one draw with 300 gems as I wanted the Dark Sword. Didn't expect much but I actually got it. Yay! Lucky me!

I really want Sephiroth but started the game too late :(

DeviantBoi

defend every turn til the boss dies from exhaustion basically.

He just dies after so much time has passed because that is how you defeat him in the actual game. But the mofo hits hard and you can still lose.

I'll try that. Hopefully one of my characters can make it through.

I guess I can cast protect on the characters with highest HP and I should make it through?

Althane

I did a 3 draw, got:

• 3* Ice Helm (III)
  • 3* Dark Bow (V)
  • 3* Ice Helm (III)

So now I have a 4* Ice Helm +. Will be useful when the III dungeons roll out, I guess?

Actually, it tells you the first time he pyramids someone, because I've never died to him before and I see that message all the time.
Well, sort of. The boss guy says "Try to break this!" when he uses it, which is a just clue/taunt. But if you lose to him the Game Over pop-up explicitly tells you to attack the pyramid with another character.

Well, sort of. The boss guy says "Try to break this!" when he uses it, which is a just clue/taunt. But if you lose to him the Game Over pop-up explicitly tells you to attack the pyramid with another character.

I didn't even read the game over screen, lol. Just begrudgingly clicked back to the main menu. So do you have to actually attack the character with a weapon or just tap it? Someone earlier said to just tap it.

Kain

Aeris looks like another Rydia but with a better Soul break, I think I'll replace Rydia.

Also Sephi with the Masamune is stupid, I one-shot killed Reno on hard with Hell's gate. I haven't even seen the pyramids you guys have been posting lol

At least throw some eggs at her first!

This. I don't think you gain extra XP or less based on your level. And eggs give the same amount regardless of level. So get some eggs from the event, they aren't expensive or anything. The 2star one gives 2.5k, the 3 star gives 10k. And you can get five 2 star eggs for the price of one 3 star egg, basically giving you 2.5k exp extra.

Aeris looks like another Rydia but with a better Soul break, I think I'll replace Rydia.

Except with a much lower MAG stat, and I think can only use up to 3* black magic spells. So I mean yea, she can cast the spells, but they aren't going to do much damage. If you're up against a boss with specific elemental weaknesses, you will want Rydia in there, not only because of her higher MAG stat, but also because she has 2 slots that you can dedicate solely to spells, whereas with Aerith best case you're going to give her 1 cure and 1 spell.

This. I don't think you gain extra XP or less based on your level. And eggs give the same amount regardless of level. So get some eggs from the event, they aren't expensive or anything. The 2star one gives 2.5k, the 3 star gives 10k. And you can get five 2 star eggs for the price of one 3 star egg, basically giving you 2.5k exp extra.
There's a 4* egg also that gives 50k, and you can buy 3 of them. One run through hard plus 3 4* eggs and my Aerith was level 29.

Kain

Except with a much lower MAG stat, and I think can only use up to 3* black magic spells. So I mean yea, she can cast the spells, but they aren't going to do much damage. If you're up against a boss with specific elemental weaknesses, you will want Rydia in there, not only because of her higher MAG stat, but also because she has 2 slots that you can dedicate solely to spells, whereas with Aerith best case you're going to give her 1 cure and 1 spell.

Didn't look at it that way, guess I'll stick to Rydia then xD

http://www.reddit.com/r/FFRecordKee..._what_orbs_are_needed_for_upcoming_abilities/

Found this really cool post detailing upcoming spells and abilities we're going ot get. Looks like we're going to get some tier 3 white magic spells (Curaja, full-party protect/shells, etc), , -ga black magic spells, and -ra Spellstrikes. I'm also really looking forward to the Higher Break spells.

Also that Kirin summon looks really cool, and Carbuncle as well. I guess I'll hold onto my Greater and Lesser Summon orbs, but I still plan to use my regular Summon Orbs on Shiva or something.

TL;DR - Everything in that post looks awesome, and it looks like orb farming isn't going to get any easier any time soon :)

Razmos

Got to the 3rd battle of Hard with Aerith before Rydia died, she got to level 10, so that was a nice boost. Got some good magicite shards too, not in any rush to complete hard yet, i'll take my time.

I really, really wish you could turn in your shards for multiple items at once rather than one at a time. because of the slow as hell menus on android it's annoying to begin with, and takes 5 minutes just to scroll down the list. and then a good wait to actually buy the item as well..

The slow menus make this game nearly unplayable sometimes, I actually dread having to change my party or equipment because of how long it takes and the sheer amount of menus you have to go through.

Shahed

We're gonna need a lot harder dungeons with higher tier drops before we can begin to think about getting those abilities. Bar Kirin that is

I really, really wish you could turn in your shards for multiple items at once rather than one at a time. because of the slow as hell menus on android it's annoying to begin with, and takes 5 minutes just to scroll down the list. and then a good wait to The slow menus make this game nearly unplayable sometimes, I actually dread having to change my party or equipment because of how long it takes and the sheer amount of menus you have to go through.actually buy the item as well..

They really need to sort that menu out. Trying to get all of the goodies almost feels more trouble than it's worth. Why it doesn't stay on that selection after you buy something is annoying.

Anyways, got Aerith, Mythril and some Lesser Orbs plus a few Orb and Greater too. I really should go back to the daily though and get as much there as possible and leave the event for Gil days.

Ashodin

http://www.reddit.com/r/FFRecordKee..._what_orbs_are_needed_for_upcoming_abilities/

Found this really cool post detailing upcoming spells and abilities we're going ot get. Looks like we're going to get some tier 3 white magic spells (Curaja, full-party protect/shells, etc), , -ga black magic spells, and -ra Spellstrikes. I'm also really looking forward to the Higher Break spells.

Also that Kirin summon looks really cool, and Carbuncle as well. I guess I'll hold onto my Greater and Lesser Summon orbs, but I still plan to use my regular Summon Orbs on Shiva or something.

TL;DR - Everything in that post looks awesome, an maked it looks like orb farming isn't going to get any easier any time soon :)
Full party protect mmmm

Anustart

The beginning, and by that I mean these 20 hours I've played are pretty boring. Attack or a level 1 black magic spell, there's all you can do.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
They really need to sort that menu out. Trying to get all of the goodies almost feels more trouble than it's worth. Why it doesn't stay on that selection after you buy something is annoying.

Anyways, got Aerith, Mythril and some Lesser Orbs plus a few Orb and Greater too. I really should go back to the daily though and get as much there as possible and leave the event for Gil days.

They have some of the worst interface programmers. It's amazingly bad and my chief complaint.
Combine that with the interface having to load the next row of inventory and you have to wonder where the fuck they found these programmers.

garath

They have some of the worst interface programmers. It's amazingly bad and my chief complaint.
Combine that with the interface having to load the next row of inventory and you have to wonder where the fuck they found these programmers.

This is so braindead I can't even wrap my head around it. There's not even a UI cue that there are additional items. I spent the first day wondering where my enhancer fragments were. I can understand loading chunks for bandwidth purposes but there are basic basic usability flaws.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
This is so braindead I can't even wrap my head around it. There's not even a UI cue that there are additional items. I spent the first day wondering where my enhancer fragments were. I can understand loading chunks for bandwidth purposes but there are basic basic usability flaws.

I'm just now delving into advanced C# programming, and I can't fathom why it would be done this way. To save memory is the only reason I can think of, and the amount of memory saved is so tiny...

I'm assuming it queries the server to see what inventory you have, and unless there is a possibility of a very high number of results (which is outside the bounds of this app which has a hard cap even with currency purchasing more inventory slots), it should return a complete array of item ids; but instead it only returns the first 10 or so ids. It actually causes more requests to the server this way, rather then the few extra bytes it would take to send the complete list the first time. Which is more work for their server in the long run.

Edit: To further clarify, in every sane app, if you are concerned about the server returning too large a query, then you would limit results to an expected amount per page, like 50 or 100. Your SQL statement would then pull results 1-50, then a little icon could indicate there are more results and pull the next 50 if you scroll down. You could compare the concept to neogaf pages, for instance, which could have thousands of replies. Howver, In this case, the limit is 300, so it makes zero sense to do it this way.

Z3M0G

I am worried that S-E is trying to cater to the West a bit TOO much... it's like FFVII is the only Final Fantasy game we enjoy...

I hope the next event is not for X...

It's time to let us get some VI characters please!

Suikoguy

I am worried that S-E is trying to cater to the West a bit TOO much... it's like FFVII is the only Final Fantasy game we enjoy...

I hope the next event is not for X...

It's time to let us get some VI characters please!

They swapped the order of the first two events, otherwise the order has been the same as the overseas version.

This is the current progress of Japan (spoilers obviously)
http://i.imgur.com/xO4snWy.png

Razmos

Eurgh, I absolutely need some FFXII content. I want Balthier in my party.

Look at the FFVII part of that image, a total damn mess. Can't stand how much they favour 7 over all others.

Eurgh, I absolutely need some FFXII content. I want Balthier in my party.

Look at the FFVII part of that image, a total damn mess. Can't stand how much they favour 7 over all others.
They favor the whole "Compilation" crap from VII over the actual game, Sephiroth and Zack shouldn't be characters over Yuffie, Barret, Red XIII, etc.

evanmisha

Is Bahumut in the Japanese version yet I can only imagine the million or so orbs they'll demand for him. :(

vfSg8bu.jpg

Been toying around with the Japanese version to pass the time between stamina recharges. Hopefully I can manage to grab Auron before the event ends on the 20th

I'm confused. I mean I get that it's not optimal, but it's not as braindead as you make it sound. There definitely is a visual cue, it's the scroll bar on the right hand side. When you scroll down to the bottom of the first page, the scroll bar on the right is not at the bottom, indicating that there are more items.

I agree it could be better, for example there could be left/right arrows at the bottom, and it could say "Page 1 of 4" or something. But it's not *that* bad.

Suikoguy said:
I'm just now delving into advanced C# programming, and I can't fathom why it would be done this way. To save memory is the only reason I can think of, and the amount of memory saved is so tiny...

I'm assuming it queries the server to see what inventory you have, and unless there is a possibility of a very high number of results (which is outside the bounds of this app which has a hard cap even with currency purchasing more inventory slots), it should return a complete array of item ids; but instead it only returns the first 10 or so ids. It actually causes more requests to the server this way, rather then the few extra bytes it would take to send the complete list the first time. Which is more work for their server in the long run.
No, it returns the full list of items every time. You can verify this by putting your phone in airplane mode from the main world screen, then go into Party -> Inventory and scrolling down. If it were querying the server you'd get an error here, but you don't. So the client already knows every single item you have and all its stats.

Really it's probably just poor programmign on their part. Since the data is already fully loaded, they should be able to make it scroll smoothly on a single page or at least put an indicator like "Page 1 of 4"

CTLance

<rant>I'm starting to get really annoyed about the design. The UI/UX in this game is just baffling. So incredibad. Gah. I just want to get one single daily run in, but if you really think I'll subject myself to the scroll-impaired loading hell TWICE just for a quick dungeon run you've got another thing coming. And all of that just because the devs had to develop this game as some fancy webpage. I mean, I get it, it's great for prototyping, but at some point it's just getting annoying.

I also sincerely hope they homogenise the artstyle. Pixel graphics intermingled randomly with HD graphics is just offending my otherwise painfully low aesthetic sensibilities.</>

Anyway, if you're curious about some costs or want to check on the daily dungeon, but are stuck right in the middle of some ten-story dungeon:

Menu->Help->novice's archives->some enemies are too hard

Press on the "realms" button to be taken out of the dungeon, allowing you to freely navigate the "map screen", including special pages like the event shop. To return to the dungeon where you left off, simply tap on the World button. If that doesn't suffice, switch to Party, then World. This will reload the game state from the server and confine you to the dungeon again, right where you were. Nothing grand, but hey, kinda useful if you're on an older device like me where googling some stamina cost or daily list would force you to reload the game.
(I do implore anyone to not play around too much using this bug. Don't do anything you wouldn't normally be able to do, such as actually enter another dungeon or buy stuff at the event shop. This could possibly either break the game or get you flagged for cheating/hacking.)

chrono01

So, in-regard to Magicite, I'm thinking I'll grab whatever I can pertaining to the "Break" Abilities [Power/Armor/Magic/Mental]. I'll prioritize Power/Armor first. Then I'll probably go after the Orbs needed for Curaga [since I'm still without it], and maybe Drain Strike. I'm not sure if that one will be worth it, though. I already have Aerith, the two Mythril, and the weapon/armor pieces.

I kind of want to get the accessories too, since I'm a completionist, but I've heard bad things about them and at 3k per they aren't cheap. It might be better spent on Summoning Orbs instead, if I can spare any extra Magicite...

garath

I'm confused. I mean I get that it's not optimal, but it's not as braindead as you make it sound. There definitely is a visual cue, it's the scroll bar on the right hand side. When you scroll down to the bottom of the first page, the scroll bar on the right is not at the bottom, indicating that there are more items.

I agree it could be better, for example there could be left/right arrows at the bottom, and it could say "Page 1 of 4" or something. But it's not *that* bad.

So the very first time you looked at your items and only saw a page of items, you thought to yourself - "I seem to be missing items, oh, I just need to scroll HARDER to make it get to another page"?

I find that a little hard to believe. I call it braindead because it is the polar opposite of intuitive and usable UI. Yes, there is a scroll bar but you can't use it to actually scroll. It offers no indication that there is another page other than not being at the bottom. Your eyes aren't drawn to the scroll bar. You are looking at items. Especially in the upgrade equipment page where you only have 2 rows of items, it has a smooth scroll with a typical flick all the way to the bottom of the "page" where it STOPS. The intuitive response to stopping a smooth scroll after a flick is that you have reached the end.

I find it hard to believe, no one tested this before release and said "hmm, this just doesn't feel right". For no one to pick up on this, I label it "braindead" :)

If this was the only instance of poor UI I'd be a little more forgiving but they really don't have a cohesive mobile product here. They have back buttons in some places but not others, the scroll bar for the worlds is way too sensitive (this is where they could use a little bit of the rubber banding they added to the item screens), the loading after EVERYTHING is way out of hand, there should be a direct link to events on the bottom instead of the world page, the event item purchasing is a hot mess of course, etc.

I'd love them to do some passes over it with feedback from the community.

So far I have Aerith, all 3 Greater Growth Eggs, and every Lesser Orb of every type. I was thinking about the regular orbs, and I'm not sure it's worth it. You get regular orbs pretty easily in the elemental dungeons, so I don't think 1500 magicite is worth it considering how easy they are to get. You can basically get about 2 1/2 regular orbs for the price of a full clear of the hard dungeon, which seems out of proportion with how much stamina those cost. You can get way more than 2 1/2 regular orbs for 71 stamina doing the elemental dailies.

I'll probably buy up the rest of the eggs, and then focus on getting greater orbs and skip the regular orbs entirely.

Suikoguy

It's so clunky though, and makes it take so much longer to scroll to the bottom to find what you are looking for. It does however at least have sorting... so it could be worse ;p

No, it returns the full list of items every time. You can verify this by putting your phone in airplane mode from the main world screen, then go into Party -> Inventory and scrolling down. If it were querying the server you'd get an error here, but you don't. So the client already knows every single item you have and all its stats.

Really it's probably just poor programmign on their part. Since the data is already fully loaded, they should be able to make it scroll smoothly on a single page or at least put an indicator like "Page 1 of 4"

Holy shit that's even worse. Just wow. I should have tried that in airplane mode to be sure.

So the very first time you looked at your items and only saw a page of items, you thought to yourself - "I seem to be missing items, oh, I just need to scroll HARDER to make it get to another page"?

Well, no. I'm just saying that it's bad, but nto end of the world bad. It's like a 4 on a scale from 1 to 10. FWIW the "scroll harder" thing is a common paradigm. Facebook uses it for example, and many other sites do as well. I agree it's not the immediately obvious, but I just think it's bad, not terrible.

TheContact

Wow I had two party members dead for the Rufus fight because they were low level and didn't survive the earlier battles and Rufus Trined my remaining three party members consecutively and gave me a game over &#128542;

thedan001

I'll probably buy up the rest of the eggs, and then focus on getting greater orbs and skip the regular orbs entirely.

Thinking of same thing, except I'll pick up regular Lightning and Non-Elemental Orbs since those are rare in dailies still, if I have extra left before event ends, then I'll pick up some Power Orbs as well since Break abilities

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom