• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy: Record Keeper |OT2| I HAVE NO MYTHRIL AND I MUST SHOUT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tyro power, or f the rng that won't give me a ssb.

Rush
lvl 71 Tyro w lightning steel attunement 2
Rallying étude and armor break
4x9999 with the the slg. Boom.

Wonder of swapping attunement 2 with mako or tidus rm3.

After admitting defeat earlier this evening, I found the will to go back and finally took Exdeath (Ultimate) down. What a battle! It made me rethink my entire party but I'm happy to have done it. Now back to the FFX event!

iDPFK40.png

Falk

that puzzling face
Statistically it's not normal.

It's common though.

edit: HAHAHA I just used Hand of the Emperor for the first time.

What were they thinking? "Oh let's just randomly throw sound effects in here, no one will notice it's the Stop and Flare sounds"

WarAdept

I think you should be able to use it as long as you have some other way of putting Sap on your Advantaliator, like the Self-Sacrifice or Dragoon's Determination RMs.

You're going to have to play smart here. I don't think Dragoon's Determination/Self Sacrifice RM and finishing in 40 seconds is realistic at all so instead you're going to have to plan to be deliberately hit by a tentacle while Advance has expired. Hopefully that resets sap.

Apparently FFXIII Ultimate is where Advance becomes non-viable (boss can hit physical through retaliate...yeah)

Well, took my first step and constructed a party without Advance or Retaliate. I mistakenly put Diaga on Yuna (and just when the battle started, looked on Reddit and saw she absorbed Holy, should've put Valefor instead) but I managed to Master it no trouble.

Need to wean myself off Advance as much as possible I reckon. It was enough to just slap Tidus/Auron with as many Breaks/Launch as possible and Rikku with Power Steal/Tempo Flurry.

MicH

Does anyone here have Eiko's flute and can put Emerald Light up as your RW? It would really help me against Yunalesca

JTran2003

First attempt at ultimate exdeath went awful. Had two magic and white mages and red xiii for lunatic high. Second time did better with a different group and past half damage but the dispel then triple cast wipe me out. Went a different route with gilga for retaliate, sephiroth for SSB, squall for thundaga, firaga strike and better SB, selphie for mass heal, and red xiii for SB. Will definitely sleep on this and hopefully come up with something better before the event ends.

MicH

Fuck Yunalesca. She keeps using OSMOSES! All my abilities get zapped. 3 uses of Full Break gone, three uses of Shellga gone all my freaking spells gone :(

Falk

that puzzling face
Told you it was gonna be down to retaliating unless you get planets to align and she doesn't Osmose at all.

(I did it with a 4++ sword yay)

MicH

I DID IT :LOL I was literally just auto-attacking and using whatever SBs I had in the end. I even mastered it which I really didn't think I would!

Osmoses is the only challenge in this battle. It's extremely annoying

elty

Looking at my FF X synergy item

4*++ katana
3*++ sword
3*++ sword
4* sword

uhh...... can't think of anything other than retaliate. Mage party is probably mega death.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
I need some mid-level help. I've hit a cap at around difficulty 75 for event and story dungeons - party is mid 50s. Decent 5* loot but nothing incredible. Decent skills but lacking Protectga/Shellga until I scrape together a few more Earth orbs.

I think I wanna start messing with Advantilate, but I need a little help crafting that party. I know the basic strat (beefed up character with Retaliate. Friend with Advance. Hit beefy character with party members - preferably party members with double cut). I miss anything there? I have some Qs:

- Retaliate first, or Advance First?

- How do you know when Retaliate wears off?

- How do you clear trash? Take one summoner with lots of hones or BM with Ruinga or something? In high level dungeons even trash is deal lots of DMG so it makes me feel like I won't be able to "punch above my weight" to get MC2s.

- Key RMs / buffs for this strat? Boost I'm assuming... anything else?

- No friends with Advance. Any place to find some in this community, or Reddit?

- Party should be Retaliator, healer, two back row melee users with double cut, and one caster trash clearer?

Just hoping to get a clearer picture of how it all comes together.

Kenai

I might finally break down and use Advantaliate. I've scraped by pretty much every boss before without it (haven't mastered them al obvl) but Yunalesca is just a huge crock. FFX has some of my best synergy behind VI and possibly VII and I can't deal with her third form at all.

broz0rs

When a boss is resistant to a break, does that mean the break effect doesn't work at all or is it just less effective? If it is less effective, anybody know by how much %?

elty

You can clear trash with retaliate. Just cast boost -> retaliate then attack your retaliator. Assuming it takes 4 hits per round or less one retaliate is enough for three rounds.

Balphon

When a boss is resistant to a break, does that mean the break effect doesn't work at all or is it just less effective? If it is less effective, anybody know by how much %?

They're basically exactly half as effective as they are normally in terms of the enemy's stats, but a little more than half as effective in terms of the damage you'll do/take as a result of the way the math works out.

I just used Advance / Retaliate for the latest Ultimate fight and don't feel bad about it at all. Beat it on the first try too. No save scumming this time unlike the ExDeath fight that was ridiculous.

I have a question about Retaliate and the future of this skill though. Are people saying it isnt effective in future fights because the boss won't "miss" and effectively lose a turn/hit itself when attacking the Retaliate user?

This is negligible in my eyes because the true power of Retaliate comes from being able to stack your team with double hits skills and effectively make everyone a killer. Does this aspect ever change down the road?

unround

Mastered both Exdeath and Yunalesca! Pretty pleased with my progress considering I only started around the Golbez event.

I just used Advance / Retaliate for the latest Ultimate fight and don't feel bad about it at all. Beat it on the first try too. No save scumming this time unlike the ExDeath fight that was ridiculous.

I have a question about Retaliate and the future of this skill though. Are people saying it isnt effective in future fights because the boss won't "miss" and effectively lose a turn/hit itself when attacking the Retaliate user?

This is negligible in my eyes because the true power of Retaliate comes from being able to stack your team with double hits skills and effectively make everyone a killer. Does this aspect ever change down the road?

The issue is that the person using advance now will get hit with only half defense which might kill them

Falk

that puzzling face

The Break is half as effective on stats, which translates into slightly more than half penalty on actual effectiveness due to the damage formulas.

Falk

that puzzling face
It's part that, and part Advance kinda falling off in relative effectiveness vs, say, Planet Protector + SSB/Lifesiphon stacking.

But yeah, a lot of the times taking a sock to the face with Advance really hurts. Endgame bosses are generally tuned with the assumption that mitigation is available - this is why there were so many "ha ha I AOE on first turn, time to savescum" encounters prior.

edit: this is some hardcore shit

nacarelli

Neo Member
Yes, Ultimate Yunalesca was a pain in the ass. Had to S/L 5 times either because she kept spamming Holy or because she cast Holy all right before I killed her. Anyway, used Drawtaliate and finally mastered.

While I know that bringing Yuna was a requirement considering FFX story, she really messed up my strategy, considering Yunalesca loves to use Osmose and even with my honed summons she won't be able to do much damage.

Now, back to Tuesdaily and tomorrow DU 17.

MicH

Just need to do the last IX elite and I'm caught up to DU17. But before I tackle that I'm gonna farm the daily. I have enough GBOs to upgrade one R3 -ja spell to R4 and I only need to upgrade Bioga, Blizzaja and Firaja to R4. Already have R4 Waterja and Thundaja

Lady Yunalesca down here too. Missed Mastery as she Holy'd Wakka at the dying moments. Might give it another go later, so much more RNG with this fight than ExDeath though - not as enjoyable.

LucaMac

I suppose this is a totally not worth it way to beat Ultimate ExDeath :( I should really try Ultimate Exdeath soon (having no candle means I'll be glad with a clear).

I guess that would work though. I'll admit I spent a few mythril just to deal with the headache. +20% defense was enough to get me there. It was doable without it I'm sure, but the items (and satisfaction) are better than one less three star. The only thing I haven't mastered was the first Parade Float and I heavily regret not using mythril to do so. I'd very rarely use it but Exdeath was just too time consuming with s/ls. 100s of stamina went to waste that could have been spent on dailies or farming. End of the day...its worth it in some cases.

LucaMac

Parade Float was the stupidest thing this game has ever done. I would be shocked if over 20 people cleared that.

Definitely. But it still annoys me it was only out of my reach because mythril was so scarce. Refreshing for abilities would have made it doable.

MrDaravon

I just hit another 50 mythril, I REALLY want the Sage's Staff since I use Lenna and I have zero moderate/heavy AoE healing or regen, but I know I'm gonna get fucked if I try another 11 pull ._.

MrDaravon

Don't do it! lol

Yeah I'm not, really had to stop myself hard though lol. I had the best pull I've probably ever had on the pull I already did of it (Brave Blade, two FFV 5* armors and the FFVII Turks Suit) so can't really complain, just annoyed that I got a fantastic pull but got everything but the two things I actually wanted (Sage's Staff + Gilgamesh's katana).

Finally going back to get through Core Dungeon stuff, I'm like waaaaaaaaaay back in DU 8 or so and that's not even Elites cleared up to that point (115 stamina). Two dumb questions:

-Does Planet Protector increase all damage given, or is it literally just physical attack damage? I would assume it's the latter but the wording is slightly vague.

-For buffs/debuffs for both your characters as well as RWs like Shellga, Haste, etc does the character's level/stats matter or no? Like is a level 50 Sazh doing Boon going to be less effective than a level 65 one?

Also I'm gonna have to use that site linked above to grab some Advance folks, I just checked and I have zero folks using Advance anymore on my list lol. Boon & Cutting Trigger have completely taken over most of my friends list it appears.

Edit: Actually just thought of something else; I know a lot of buffs don't stack, but if you cast a second one that doesn't stack does it override the first one? Like I just went into this dungeon with Boon which I cast, but then did SG afterwards; what exactly would happen in that case? Would SG not do anything, would I keep the Haste but the RES buff from SG would override Shellga, etc?

Are those bonus accessories really worth burning that mythril?
Not at all. Nealy 25 mythril was blown on that. In the reddit thread a lot of people were saying the user should have gone for a clear and saved the mythril for stamina refreshes (refreshing stamina would get the 4 major orbs).

ultra7k

Ultimate Yunalesca was a breeze compared to Ultimate ExDeath. Wow.

Just lost mastery due to Sazh dying right at the end on when she hit with one of her AOE attacks. Argh.

Will be going back for mastery.

Cleared ultimate exdeath. Cost me 2 mythril and a few resets but I finally did it, and got mastery to boot.

eyJ1cmwiOiJodHRwczovL2Rpc2NvcmQuczMuYW1hem9uYXdzLmNvbS9hdHRhY2htZW50cy82NDMwNDY4NzUxOTY0MTYwMC8xMzM5OTA5OTEzMzcyMjYyNDAvSU1HXzAxMDMuUE5HIn0.nun1EjvMrxC06p_1WASWRkbW67U.PNG

Krile had an angel ring and sahz was wearing a mirage vest ++ and aeris was wearing a lamia's tiara ++ for the fight.

Cleared Ultimate ExDeath. Got lucky on the RNG and barely survived some hits. He used doom 3 times for example (ended with 12 seconds left on lowest). Bad bit of RNG was AoE dispel on turn 1 (after setting up shelga and protectga to boot) robbing 3 of my party members of haste and wasting a turn on setup but I rolled with it thinking "practice run".

Used Gilgamesh (double cut, retaliate), Garnet (reflect, curaga), Faris (magic breakdown, full break), Lenna (renewing cure, shelga) and P. Cecil (protectga, magic lure).

My FFV gear is good defensively though (didn't notice by just how much until doing this) which is really what saved me. Two 3*++ Mirage vests, 3*++ Circlet, 4*++ Hypno crown and 5* Ninja suit (P. Cecil had 297 res, 335 def when equipping this). Zephyr Cloak is also secret best MVP with resist earth (as once ExDeath is in weak phase Cecil has reflect up so regen is his only healing while earth shaker is one of the only things that hits him).

I'm now carrying p Cecil on all these new dungeons. tank that can carry Shellga/protecga and can handle a sword fairly well, yes please. And level broken so not an exp waster anymore. Oh, it helps that my best weapons in xii and v are 4++ axes that out atk most of my 5 stars after rs in their own realms. Putting that hammerhead to good use! The only issue I have with him is I only have his default sb or shareds, which are pretty mediocre other than my power sash for another shot of protectga.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom