• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy: Record Keeper |OT2| I HAVE NO MYTHRIL AND I MUST SHOUT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Balphon

I'm now carrying p Cecil on all these new dungeons. tank that can carry Shellga/protecga and can handle a sword fairly well, yes please. And level broken so not an exp waster anymore. Oh, it helps that my best weapons in xii and v are 4++ axes that out atk most of my 5 stars after rs in their own realms. Putting that hammerhead to good use! The only issue I have with him is I only have his default sb or shareds, which are pretty mediocre other than my power sash for another shot of protectga.

You made me remember that I didn't bring my 4*++ Hammerhead when clearing the new FF12 elites last night.

I'll have to make a "Bring Vaan" note for myself for Ultimate Vossler.

I just put him in that 5* FFV armor and he can SB AOE blind people with his fabulousness

Oh I have that too, probably more useful than a fifth shot of protectga.

You made me remember that I didn't bring my 4*++ Hammerhead when clearing the new FF12 elites last night.

I'll have to make a "Bring Vaan" note for myself for Ultimate Vossler.

The rs atk of that is a whopping 190! For reference, the zantetsukens rs atk is also 190.

Road

My ffrk blog #56.

Finished DU16. It was a breeze, since I have great FFVI and FFVII synergy (FFIX, though...), also elemental weakeness for spellblades. Steamrolled everything, except for one fight...

Mess.

Started Rikku bonus battles. Was feeling crazy and went solo on the boss rush with Cloud.

Couldn't think of any restricted strategy for the other parties with what I had, so I just went mage meta for everything. Can you spot what's wrong in this setup for Magus Sisters?

Probably not.
Rikku is using Box Step (-30% DEF) instead of Mana Pean...
Still got full medals there. +++ was also trivial (Berserk+Carbuncle).

Despite the fear of Osmose, just went with Mage Meta for Yunalesca. Had to s/l 10 times (4 times because of Silence, a few Holy KO, one Mind Blast (nasty) etc.)
0kzul.png

Used literally everything:
ffrk-yunalesca2dluge.gif

Now, DU17. Time to dust off my 2 Ras Algheti (don't know why people love guns, mine just collect dust...)

Yeah, it's pretty wicked. I actually have a 4*++ one and another 4*+ because I keep pulling the thing.

To say nothing of my 4*++ Sledgehammer and 4*+ Trident. I am swimming in weird 4* FF12 weapons.

I have two Hammerhead I didn't even bother to combine because I'm already good for physical FF12 synergy.. I'm just not at the point where it feels right to sell 4* equips (just started trashing some 3*).

I just hit another 50 mythril, I REALLY want the Sage's Staff since I use Lenna and I have zero moderate/heavy AoE healing or regen, but I know I'm gonna get fucked if I try another 11 pull ._.

Have you seen this post of mine?

I actually managed to rush and get another 50 mythril and with 3 hours left for the banner to disappear, I did another 11-pull because I wasn't just chasing one relic, I wanted any of the 4, it wasn't unreasonable, right?

Result: http://abload.de/img/u1qbw.png

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Thought I'd give ExDeath one more try without caring about mastery... but how the heck are you supposed to survive his double attacks? I get him to about 75% and then it's just death. I can't heal enough, my SG isn't up...

Do breaks and breakdowns stack? Do you just need both to try to debuff him as he hits the 50% health stage of the fight?

Falk

that puzzling face
I have a very detached, methodical way of looking at the gacha that helps keep my decisions objective. The fact that Global pretty much has the next 6 months mapped out helps with this.

1) Assume that my life has a dedicated random number generator
2) Assume that whatever sub-algorithm governs FFRK gacha luck is deterministic, and doesn't give a shit about which banner you pull on
3) That is to say, if you were going to have shit luck pulling on banner A, deciding to pull on banner B would also have exactingly equally shit luck anyway
4) With that in mind, the decision on which banner to pull between A or B (or C or D or whatever) boils down to which is the objectively best use of my resources. (This is where being on Global is handy - you know what the next 6 months of banners look like)

Pretty much half the reason I could shrug off 1/44. 1/44 or not, that was still 100 Mythril well spent, because those banners were still objectively better than the alternatives by a very large margin.

To answer your question while applying that logic: If the FFV banner has a greater number of useful items to you than all of the upcoming banners (whether must-have SBs, lacking realm synergy, etc), roll on it. If you don't get it, whatever, you wouldn't have gotten what you want out of your next roll on any other banner anyway, so you still got the best deal out of the hand you were dealt.

This is Falk being existential.

I was ready for that Ultimate difficulty Yunalesca fight to take hours and be a nightmare of S/L and fleeing to adjust abilities, but I nailed it first time. Quite easy, even! Huh.

MicH

Thought I'd give ExDeath one more try without caring about mastery... but how the heck are you supposed to survive his double attacks? I get him to about 75% and then it's just death. I can't heal enough, my SG isn't up...

Do breaks and breakdowns stack? Do you just need both to try to debuff him as he hits the 50% health stage of the fight?
Make sure you have SG and Shellga up. If they run out before you kill him then wait a bit until you set them up. Breaks and Breakdowns don't stack, But Full Break and Breaks/Breakdowns do

Jarekx

I must be in the minority. I thought Exdeath was much easier than Yunalesca. Osmose kept killing me before I could finish. Finally got lucky and had enough abilities to finish her but it took quite a few resets.

I'm one MPO from getting Full break. Not sure if it'll get much use til I get it to at least rank 2 though.

Kouriozan

Personally, I just wanted some FFV items since I had none and got Lenna's sage staff for my 10+1 pull.
Consider that I started playing back the 26th of december, had 0 mythril and had almost nothing interesting (only 2 5* daggers, no aoe healing at all), I'd say I'm pretty happy with the result.
Gacha can be fun as long as you don't have high expectations.

I must be in the minority. I thought Exdeath was much easier than Yunalesca. Osmose kept killing me before I could finish. Finally got lucky and had enough abilities to finish her but it took quite a few resets.

I'm one MPO from getting Full break. Not sure if it'll get much use til I get it to at least rank 2 though.

Yunalesca is far more rng then ExDeath so some will get lucky and find it easy and others will pull their hair out

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Make sure you have SG and Shellga up. If they run out before you kill him then wait a bit until you set them up. Breaks and Breakdowns don't stack, But Full Break and Breaks/Breakdowns do
So I really should spend some orbs on Fullbreak shouldn't I?

Is the strat to just build meter with Tyro before you hit 50%? My issue is that since he's hitting Cloud, he's not gaining any meter.

MrDaravon

I have a very detached, methodical way of looking at the gacha that helps keep my decisions objective. The fact that Global pretty much has the next 6 months mapped out helps with this.

1) Assume that my life has a dedicated random number generator
2) Assume that whatever sub-algorithm governs FFRK gacha luck is deterministic, and doesn't give a shit about which banner you pull on
3) That is to say, if you were going to have shit luck pulling on banner A, deciding to pull on banner B would also have exactingly equally shit luck anyway
4) With that in mind, the decision on which banner to pull between A or B (or C or D or whatever) boils down to which is the objectively best use of my resources. (This is where being on Global is handy - you know what the next 6 months of banners look like)

Pretty much half the reason I could shrug off 1/44. 1/44 or not, that was still 100 Mythril well spent, because those banners were still objectively better than the alternatives by a very large margin.

To answer your question while applying that logic: If the FFV banner has a greater number of useful items to you than all of the upcoming banners (whether must-have SBs, lacking realm synergy, etc), roll on it. If you don't get it, whatever, you wouldn't have gotten what you want out of your next roll on any other banner anyway, so you still got the best deal out of the hand you were dealt.

This is Falk being existential.

I pretty much agree with this; the main reason I'm not going for another 11 pull is the only item of note I specifically want now is Lenna's Staff, and as has been discussed doing an 11 pull to try to get a specific item is generally a very bad idea. I already got the Brave Blade, Gaia Gear, Ninja Suit, Turks Suit and Kaiser Knuckles (FFV) on my first two pulls, so while getting duplicates on most of those would hardly be a bad thing at all, it's just not worth the odds IMO. If I could be guaranteed the Staff I'd do it, otherwise eh. What I should probably do honestly is go ahead and pull on the beginner banner, I'm not sure what guaranteed/free relic I should choose still though.

Looking ahead ahead nothing super appeals to me until the next SSB Event which looks to be in about ~2 months (it looks like Terra gets hers in a banner before then but it'll also be around during the full-on SSB Event), then FFT about a month after that. Will probably go in on those, in particular FFT since it's my fav along with FFVI, and by all accounts Ramza (and to a lesser extent Agrias) is actually pretty fucking good so that helps. Also the running speculation is we'll get a duplicate of Japan's anniversary event when global's 1 year anniversary rolls around?

Edit: I've mentioned this before but I also think that pulling on a banner should have a higher chance of giving you 3/4* items from that realm; I can't remember which one it was now, but I think it was a FF9 banner I pulled on because I have zero FF9 RS, and not only did I not get any 5* items I got zero FF9 items across the board. IMO banners should also represent the realm in question to some extent.

So I beat Ultimate Exdeath on my first attempt, with no resets.

I went with Advance/Retaliate because I was kind of tipsy and just wanted to burn some stamina. Well, it turns out with both a native Sentinel's Grimoire and Stonewall II I didn't need to do too much. A clever tip to have Cecil Reflected with Magic Lure to keep the other characters open for Curajas was quite brilliant.

I actually had to stop at the end because dude casted nothing but Fire and Blizzard. So I had to wait out a Lightning, which he threw ONE spell short of offing himself.

Now I gotta decide to make and hone Meteor or hone Barrage.

WarAdept

Finally Rank 2 Full Break. Shit is amazing. Considering Faris as my main Support character (as I was using Barret previously, but only because he was my highest level support).

And thank god Yunalesca Ultimate was significantly easier than ExDeath. Fuck that Osmose spam though.

Do the dance versions of Protectga/Shellga also scale off Mind?

The RNG on that Yunalesca fight was irritating the hell out of me so instead of going through another long, drawn out fight, I left and retooled my party
No shame.

With breaks and boost I was hitting for over 5k before Advance, 8800 per hit with it. I only got Status Reels at the very end of the fight and didn't get to fully stack breaks in time before it ended, but it was doing like 9600 a swing. My original PP based party was hampered by having to drag Yuna along although I think I could have made it work with a couple of adjustments.

MrDaravon

Got my 3rd FFX 4* Bright (?) Armguard from the 100-gem pull. Despite being my third one it's not super terrible and I have very little FFX RS so I'll leave all of them separate for now I guess.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Man it took 3 hours but I finally beat ExDeath.

Is there a viable strat for Yunalesca Ultimate using retameta or should I not even bother?

I can't belive how annoying the Rude Elite fight was. Those 3 fuckers attack almost twice per turn, Terra with stop was useless, Sazh with intimidate and boon did the trick but I had to S/L a lot to not waste stamina

Is there a viable strat for Yunalesca Ultimate using retameta or should I not even bother?

I advantaliated her on my first try.

JTran2003

Yes I finally beat Exdeath ultimate just in time before the event ended with master to boot! Only one character went down! Carbuncle saved my tail and resulted in the final blow from two blizzagas. Gave sephiroth retaliate which also gave me 3 of his SSBs while tyro gave him boost and had the carbuncle. Also have veil of annulment for shell. Selphie was able to mass heal twice while reflect was active during the second half of the battle and shellga during first half. Red xiii gave everyone haste and protect and magic breakdown. Squall had launch and boosted for second half damage with fated circle SB. Double cut and attack if out of abilities towards retaliate. There was a period I was worried but I knew this would be the team for me. Yes!!!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I can't belive how annoying the Rude Elite fight was. Those 3 fuckers attack almost twice per turn, Terra with stop was useless, Sazh with intimidate and boon did the trick but I had to S/L a lot to not waste stamina

I advantaliated her on my first try.
Are there any special gimmicks?
Or is it basically the same - damage her until she saps the party, then set up reta and attack?

scosher

Yunalesca Ultimate version was such a breeze compared to Exdeath. Maybe it's cause Exdeath really pushed me to finetune my composition and strategy. I used the exact same comp for Yunalesca and mastered it first try. Didn't have much realm synergy for either clear, gear or character.

For anyone having difficulty, I would strongly recommend using a double WHM setup with your Retaliate-bot. The real difficulty of these ultimate fights is the sheer amount of damage the bosses are outputting, even when you have Shellga/Protectga running, and breakdowns applied. Having that double WHM allows you to catch up on the damage quick, or throw an emergency heal on someone when the other WHM has their ATB on cooldown. It also avoids those dire situations where you need to refresh your Protectga/Shellga, but you have to spend your turn healing instead. And with Advantaliate, it's not like these WHM's are unable to assist with damage when they can. Once I switched to double WHM, each with one of Protectga/Shellga and a ranked up Curaga/Curaja, Exdeath became beatable and Yunalesca was no trouble. It also helps that both of my WHM's have an aoe heal soul break (I have Aerith's unique SB heal and a Mystery Veil helm for the other)

Other 3 characters in the above comp are your retaliate-bot (Sephiroth), a 4-5 star support character for breakdowns (Faris), and the last is most flexible. Can be a Boost support for the retaliator, or my preference is stacking more mitigation with Cecil/Celes since their default SB's stack with Shellga/Protectga. Runic Blade SB was also really useful for Exdeath.

Look at roads example above. mages but extensive hones. I beat her with a straight up physical team, no reta, but I have three rs relics, 4 actually but i went with yuna and yshtola and 3 attackers.

Are there any special gimmicks?
Or is it basically the same - damage her until she saps the party, then set up reta and attack?
Osmos drains your abilities pretty quickly but this is a much smaller concern with retaliate meta. She'll start casting Holy on sapped targets but it'll fail if nobody has sap, so Memento of a Prayer is useful here. She saps in phase 2 and phase 3, but in phase 3 she can cast mega death if you've removed sap, however I think the chance of her using it is low, so if you can kill her fast enough I don't think it'll be a problem. Phase 2 starts around 80% health, phase 3 at 50%.

There's probably better strategies than this out there, but I mocked this up quickly in case you don't find anything:
It's assuming you only have access to default SB. Cecil has protectga, Eiko SB is shellga, and Cecil's SB stacks with both for a little extra mitigation. Dragoons Determination on Cloud for the attack boost.

Haste everyone right away, get mitigation up just before the start of phase 2, after phase 2 starts memento away sap and pop Advance/Boost.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
^
Is the idea that you are going to do enough damage on the boss quickly enough that she doesn't have a chance to cast that mega death? In the normal fight, I was able to kill her even while sapped, but I assume the extra HP means you're going to die from sap damage before you can finish her off?

^
Is the idea that you are going to do enough damage on the boss quickly enough that she doesn't have a chance to cast that mega death? In the normal fight, I was able to kill her even while sapped, but I assume the extra HP means you're going to die from sap damage before you can finish her off?

That was the case for me, although I had the fortune of a 5* retaliate weapon. Based on the Enemy AI thread on reddit in phase 3 she has a 5% chance to cast Mega Death vs 15% for Holy, and if your mitigation wears off when Holy hits, it's going to hurt, a lot, and I think that it's a bigger concern than the sap damage since it can OHKO a character low in health or resistance.

It might come down to how much damage you're able to output - if it starts getting drawn out, increasing the odds of mega death occuring, then it might be worth it to deal with the sap/holy by delaying your initial mitigation casts and trying to build up more SB gauge at the begging of the fight so that you can reapply in phase 3. I'm guessing that the 3++ sword everyone has will be good enough that it won't be a problem anyways.

I don't have much to do with Tidus, other than tempo flurry, so I honed Dismissal to r4. I got 3 of the 8 shots to stick on epic Gilgamesh in the new dungeons, so that was helpful. will be fun to get 2 more sets of these up and running, if I dare spend the wind orbs.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
That was the case for me, although I had the fortune of a 5* retaliate weapon. Based on the Enemy AI thread on reddit in phase 3 she has a 5% chance to cast Mega Death vs 15% for Holy, and if your mitigation wears off when Holy hits, it's going to hurt, a lot, and I think that it's a bigger concern than the sap damage since it can OHKO a character low in health or resistance.

It might come down to how much damage you're able to output - if it starts getting drawn out, increasing the odds of mega death occuring, then it might be worth it to deal with the sap/holy by delaying your initial mitigation casts and trying to build up more SB gauge at the begging of the fight so that you can reapply in phase 3. I'm guessing that the 3++ sword everyone has will be good enough that it won't be a problem anyways.
Wow thanks. I didn't even need to cast the regen spell because it never got to the point that I needed to since I had a lot of health going into phase 3.

This was so much easier than ExDeath... but I also got lucky since she only cast Osmos over and over again.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Yuna is using Mega Death every time she enters phase 3. You have to get her to sap your retaliator before setting up Ret/Advance, then?

WarAdept

Yuna is using Mega Death every time she enters phase 3. You have to get her to sap your retaliator before setting up Ret/Advance, then?

Dragoon's Determination or Self-Sacrifice RM will fix that. But you'll need to kill her before Sap wears off (40 secs).

firehawk12

Subete no aware
For me, I only started using retameta after Phase 2 started. If you have tempo fury, a few rounds of that is enough to get her to Phase 2 if you have Advance activated.

It also helps if you use shellga+protectga for Phase 1 and 2, and then use SG/SS2 for Phase 3.

I feel insane right now. I spent 9 hours and 2 mythril tonight fighting Exdeath Ultimate. I finally beat him just now. Aerith died at the very end, but I still got Mastery (Advance FS).

The first Mythril was spent because I didn't S/L in time (although it just gave me abilities, which I was honed enough to not need). The second Mythril was after I got frustrated and just wanted to end it (I brought him down to ~1% hp many times before getting group wiped on an AoE).

I wish I had brought a better heal than Renewing Cure. My R4 Curaja would have probably refilled my HP rather than the 1900 I was getting.

Also, is there a known timeframe on how long something will remain continuable via S/L after the event is closed? I kept fearing that all my attempts would be for naught if I did a S/L and suddenly didn't get the continue option.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
^
72 hours. When you die it says how much longer you can fight the battle for... but of course you have to die to know the exact time.

edit: How strange. For the FFXII dungeon Light Cruiser Shiva I've found the Elite version easier than classic. Well I suppose difficulty 90 vs 108 isn't a particularly large gap and I was better prepared.

For the 99 difficulty dungeon she does but for the ultimate battle she instead opens phase 3 with the tentacle attack.

Thats not even getting in future encounters with her where the tentacles can hit a retaliator. tl;dr. AI and even moves can change.

^
72 hours. When you die it says how much longer you can fight the battle for... but of course you have to die to know the exact time.
Isn't that just for using a Mythril / Gems to revive? I'm talking about the continue battle notice you get when you start the game w/ a mid-stage save on a stage that's event has ended.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Isn't that just for using a Mythril / Gems to revive? I'm talking about the continue battle notice you get when you start the game w/ a mid-stage save on a stage that's event has ended.
Oh, those seem to boot you out when the event ends, regardless of your progress. At least it did during the orb fest for me anyway.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
FFV event ended at 8pm EST and I beat Exdeath Ultimate at 5am EST the day after because I kept S/Ling when I lost.
I'm confused, because you mentioned mid-stage and I assumed you meant before you selected a battle fight. I assume S/L in the battle itself would have the same 72 hour limit regardless of whether you die and use a mythril or not.

I would have stayed in the material orb fest for a couple more days if there was a way to stay in there if only for the experience. I know that if you are mid battle when the event ends and you finish the battle, if it's not the last battle of the map you will get booted out and the game will tell you that the event is over. You can try that with the dailies.

I'm confused, because you mentioned mid-stage and I assumed you meant before you selected a battle fight. I assume S/L in the battle itself would have the same 72 hour limit regardless of whether you die and use a mythril or not.

I would have stayed in the material orb fest for a couple more days if there was a way to stay in there if only for the experience. I know that if you are mid battle when the event ends and you finish the battle, if it's not the last battle of the map you will get booted out and the game will tell you that the event is over. You can try that with the dailies.

The game doesn't kick you out during a battle. It'll kick you out after though.

Burned out. I couldn't champion the Yunalesca fight. It's BS how you can't proceed unless you do. I'm just going to log in for my daily rewards for a while until I feel inspired to play again.

ultra7k

With regards to the upcoming FFIV event...

I have fairly decent synergy across most realms, but am totally lacking in FFIV and FFIII weapon synergy...and a good Katana (but I don't want more VI synergy).

My thoughts:

I suppose I could pull on the beginner banner to grab the FFIV sword on there as a guarantee, and it would be helpful as I was clearing out the backlog of elite content on IV realms last night and found it excruciating as my damage output was just wretched.

I am saving my pulls for Lightning's banner, so I want to preserve my mythril.

I have long come to the conclusion that I will likely just spend the money for the beginner's banner as it is a guarantee vs no-guarantee on other regular banners.

Now originally I thought it would come down to SLG and Tyrfing on the beginner's banner...but now I am seriously considering the Dark Sword on it. The driving force behind it being the upcoming event and the lack of IV synergy.

Opinions?

Go to kungbakpao or whatever and check out the upcoming banners also see where you are in there story dungeons. There is very little iii content left. For that matter not much iv either. I took the grimoirr but I had kains lance for iv already. With a little setup tryo does massive damage with it and things like festival and events without rs or with core synergy.

I'm running the daily heroic for the hopes of the strago rm dropping as well as samurai and wakka. Going slow. May drop to easy just to increase runs, can convert the orbs later anyway.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
For the 99 difficulty dungeon she does but for the ultimate battle she instead opens phase 3 with the tentacle attack.

Thanks. This was my first time ever trying Advantaliate, so I was using 99 difficulty to try and figure out exactly how it comes together before trying the harder fight.

I didn't have the orbs for both Shellga and Protectga, so I opted to make Shell first... not sure I'll have the mitigation to survive Ultimate Yuna's physical attacks... I guess we'll see!

For me, I only started using retameta after Phase 2 started. If you have tempo fury, a few rounds of that is enough to get her to Phase 2 if you have Advance activated.

It also helps if you use shellga+protectga for Phase 1 and 2, and then use SG/SS2 for Phase 3.

I only have one honed tempo fury right now and it's on my non-retaliator so he can double hit. I'll see if I can make another to put on my retaliator. Or hone the Pound that's on him now. Right now I'm not sure I have enough raw DPS to even get through Phase 1 legitimately - I don't have much 5* stuff.

Dragoon's Determination or Self-Sacrifice RM will fix that. But you'll need to kill her before Sap wears off (40 secs).

I might try this but I don't think I can get the kill that fast. I actually don't have that RM yet and I'm not sure I have the Eggs to get Recard up to 50. Lots of stuff I'm lacking!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom