• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy: Record Keeper |OT2| I HAVE NO MYTHRIL AND I MUST SHOUT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaiterra

Banned
All of this resetting Geryon is forcing me to do with his Gas is insanely obnoxious.

Yeah this is the most annoying fight in the game so far.

Are there any strategies GAF recommends for Rubicante ultimate? It's terrifyingly difficult, I'm finding. The only SB FF4 relic I have is Kain's lance, but I have some okay synergy generally, but not great.

Kaiterra

Banned
Finally had a run vs. Geryon where he just put Celes and Y'shtola to sleep, which was easy enough to deal with. Especially since he attacked Y'shtola right after. Got Champion without even attempting to inflict Sap.

Are there any strategies GAF recommends for Rubicante ultimate? It's terrifyingly difficult, I'm finding. The only SB FF4 relic I have is Kain's lance, but I have some okay synergy generally, but not great.

How's your magic looking? I think the best team for this one is 1 dedicated healer, 2 magic damage dealers, 1 magic/mind type that can heal when needed and deal damage when free, and a character that can use use theif abilities + break down. In your case Vaan because he's just that, plus he can equip that Kains Lance of yours making the breakdown deal over 8k damage.

Selphie has one that is AOE Curaga (all the Medicas we have in Global are only Cura level) + magic blink buff on party (completely nulls one magic attack). It's widely considered the best for its big heal and aoe magic mitigation, perfect for many bosses.

That sounds really great. Is that a SSB of hers?

Grzi

Almost beat elite Yunalesca last night, fell asleep after my second s/l though :(((
Event ended at 2 AM for me, but I still had time to beat her before work. Decided it wasn't worth the hassle and played around with the standard dungeons a bit. Rubicante might be the first elite Boss (from these limited events) I beat, but we'll se if I manage to hone my skills well enough for him. I really want to avoid using the Retaliate meta.
Not sure when I'll be ready to tackle the Ultimate bosses, but I reckon it won't be for at least a month from now (started playing 15 days ago).

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I really can't beat Ultimate Rubicante with a retameta strategy. I don't know if it's just because I didn't P2W to get Boon/Stoneskin or if it's just bad luck. Having Tyro constantly magic break or steal power helps build up a second SG charge, but once Rubes starts doing three attacks per turn it becomes almost impossible.

Maybe I just need to bite the bullet and get Full Break for a little more mitigation.

I mastered Ultimate Rubicante earlier today and just mastered my final elite dungeon. It feels so weird to finally be caught up on all paintings and events.

Maybe I'll use my stamina to do all of the pointless egg quests for completionism purposes. *shrug*

I really can't beat Ultimate Rubicante with a retameta strategy. I don't know if it's just because I didn't P2W to get Boon/Stoneskin or if it's just bad luck. Having Tyro constantly magic break or steal power helps build up a second SG charge, but once Rubes starts doing three attacks per turn it becomes almost impossible.

Maybe I just need to bite the bullet and get Full Break for a little more mitigation.
I've not got to that fight yet (so anything I say is what others have said) but just SG and trying to use Advance might be a bit much. This thread might give some ideas though. AoE heal (especially w/regen, will contribute a lot) might be more helpful than wall though due to blaze being the most damaging attack (that you also can't mitigate)...

That said this (Free (?) equipment only!) guide seems good (personally I'd use a slightly different party but similar setup though). The abilities might be where you struggle and also the opening words of that OP are important too.

Kaiterra

Banned
I just can't keep up with Rubicante's damage output and I have no idea why. If it was possible to Slow him I think I could beat him but even with Hastega he just puts out so much pressure it's impossible to not fall behind in healing. I've handled all the Ultimates this far just fine, I don't know what the problem is here, unless it's straight up a matter of levels. I mean I have really high RES on my entire party (except Tellah) and natural SS2 going on, with Boon as an RW:

pPObus0.jpg

I also beefed it in an earlier attempt using Shellga and bringing Hymn of the Faith as an RW.

I wonder if I'm just getting really unlucky and he keeps spamming the version of Inferno that eats 25% HP.

greyshark

I had 3 layers of mitigation for him - (RW) SG, Shell, and Magic Breakdown. I had a medica as well which really came in handy about halfway through the fight. Timing my Steal Power to right after he went behind his cloak helped as well, I don't think I was hit once by his (stronger) cloaked attacks.

elty

I am wondering...

Should I use Edge plus his katana, steal power and water scroll, or Bartz with steal power and ga strike? Edge's SB seems to be powerful if I also use a RM that will charge soul gauge faster.

What else does a Aeris can bring need other than heal? I plan to use boon RW so no need to bring shellga. Aeris has healing wind so I am stuck with her.

I am wondering...

Should I use Edge plus his katana, steal power and water scroll, or Bartz with steal power and ga strike? Edge's SB seems to be powerful if I also use a RM that will charge soul gauge faster.

What else does a Aeris can bring need other than heal? I plan to use boon RW so no need to bring shellga. Aeris has healing wind so I am stuck with her.

Blizzaga/Wateraga for extra damage

Kouriozan

I got a bad feeling about the FF XIII event, maybe because I have absolutely nothing to use for synergy.
Well, I guess there is always the gun they gave earlier this month.

I keep feeling tempted to pull on one of the ffiv banners since my ffiv synergy is garbage, but with only 5 elites and not many events I dunno if I'm better off just dealing and saving for better overall useful banners

Kaiterra

Banned
Yeah I give up on Rubicante. There's no outpacing his damage and the reward isn't good enough for me to dunk even more stamina into that battle than I already have.

hesho

well.. i caught up now form all the dungeon updates and now... i am bored lol. Didn't take as long as i thought it would.

about rubicante ultimate

i am very curious what everyone's res is. All my chars were 300+ for that battle but i passed it without breaks/down/full but i heavily rely on advantilate.

ultra7k

I just can't keep up with Rubicante's damage output and I have no idea why. If it was possible to Slow him I think I could beat him but even with Hastega he just puts out so much pressure it's impossible to not fall behind in healing. I've handled all the Ultimates this far just fine, I don't know what the problem is here, unless it's straight up a matter of levels. I mean I have really high RES on my entire party (except Tellah) and natural SS2 going on, with Boon as an RW:

I also beefed it in an earlier attempt using Shellga and bringing Hymn of the Faith as an RW.

I wonder if I'm just getting really unlucky and he keeps spamming the version of Inferno that eats 25% HP.

The only thing I can suggest is bringing someone who can use Full Break and Magic Breakdown to get even more mitigation. My party set up was similar, but I used Bartz as a spellblade using Steal power.

Also, if you have the witches hat, get someone (I used Tellah) with mako might/Dr Mog's Teachings and boost MAG right off the bat.

Kaiterra

Banned
i am very curious what everyone's res is. All my chars were 300+ for that battle but i passed it without breaks/down/full but i heavily rely on advantilate.

At least 350+ for everyone but Tellah here. That's why I think I was probably getting nailed by the HP%-based Inferno repeatedly. I didn't even consider Advantaliating this fight... Now I wonder if I could, but I really don't want to put that much stamina into one battle.

hesho

At least 350+ for everyone but Tellah here. That's why I think I was probably getting nailed by the HP%-based Inferno repeatedly. I didn't even consider Advantaliating this fight... Now I wonder if I could, but I really don't want to put that much stamina into one battle.

i can get away from not using break/down because i have BOTH wall relics (SG and SSII).

from memory..

cloud - water strike, ret (RM haste)
p cecil - dbl strike, nothing (oops) (RM haste)
Yshola - curaga, shellga (RM mako might)
golbez - dbl strike, boost (RM haste)
tyro - blizzaga, steal defense (RM tyro's mako thingy)

from that setup i am pretty sure ppl can figure out what i ended up doing. I ended up using medica from yshola i think by the 4th or 5th turn. Lost a * for actions and 2 for dmg.

Hell, this is pretty much my setup for all of the ultimates so far...

I hate using my orbs lol, that's why I just advantaliate every boss in the game, but for the Rubricante fight I said fuck advance and honed Full Break to r2, blizzaja and waterja to r4, wall as RW and killed him on my first try. Balthier was great with steal power every time he used the cape.

Argh I had to s/l Odin 3 times because I kept killing him without him raising his stupid sword for the thunder weakness requirement -.- I'm REALLY not looking forward to Greylon

hesho

I hate using my orbs lol, that's why I just advantaliate every boss in the game, but for the Rubricante fight I said fuck advance and honed Full Break to r2, blizzaja and waterja to r4, wall as RW and killed him on my first try. Balthier was great with steal power every time he used the cape.

nooo u should have resisted!! i still haven't crafted any 5* ability yet. Just hoarding away right now.

Actually that was really easy, Edge was mvp landed sap and slow on his first two attacks and proceeded to sit around like a good boy while the mages nuked only reapplying Boon half way through and (ironically) landing the killing blow with a tempo flurry crit, still had plenty of magic but the boss had no visible health left so I said f it

Razmos

The fact that every decent skill requires greater wind orbs depresses me.

Nearly beat Rubicante, but my magic breakdown and sentinels grimoire ran out at the same time and he triple casted 3000 damage firagas at my party, that was fun.

Unsure of whether I should try again with the same set up or bring in Cloud to Blade Beam him to death.

Edit: I did it! Swapped out Golbez for Rinoa and Edge for Tyro and included mental breakdown to increase my damage. The timing on his defences gets tricky when he's nearly dead because he uses Inferno as an interrupt and not as an actual move. Thankfully I got lucky though.

Thanks to the major black orbs I got, I honed Meteor to rank 2, woo. He dropped a major fire orb too

elty

Beat rubi after 5 SL. Using this team:
Terra - magic breakdown, ga (flood)
Tyro - mana paean, ga (SG)
Rydia - ja ja
Edge - steal power, water scroll (water veil)
Aeris - heal, ga (healing wind)

There was a move that took like 2000up despite having all three mitigation active, but Aeris save the day. Edge is the MVP as his soulbreak took 30K each cast (used twice).

Ga spell only hit for 4500 without mana paean.

Grzi

Did a random 5 mythril pull on the Edge banner and got the Healing Staff. I guess I shouldn't complain because it's a 5* relic but still...

Falk

that puzzling face
Darkest Dungeon and XCOM2 are probably going to kill me (outside of finishing my puzzle and work for 2016 starting to ramp up)

Did a random 5 mythril pull on the Edge banner and got the Healing Staff. I guess I shouldn't complain because it's a 5* relic but still...

You talking about Healing Staff (V)? Because that thing is still the highest-hitting Diaga stick in the game. (not counting RS boosts, obviously)

It makes me sad that my mage masher 3++ is weaker then most of my natural 5* weapons :|

I also pulled a 3 star poison axe, but I already have a 3++ poison axe :|

Grzi

You talking about Healing Staff (V)? Because that thing is still the highest-hitting Diaga stick in the game. (not counting RS boosts, obviously)

Yeah, the one with the Heal shared SB.
I dismissed it at first but I guess it's not bad if you say so.

Don't know whether to roll with Boon natural or hope for the RW to come through.

Cecil: Shellga R2, Curaga R3 - lvl 75 w/SSB
Edge: Steal HP and Steal Power R2 - Lvl 50(lol) w/ Water Veil & Shared SB Healing Magic
Rinoa: Waterga R3, Curaga R3 -Lvl 71 w/ Angel Wing Quake on a 6 star Rising Sun
Rydia: Shiva R3, Kirin R4 - lvl 65 w/ Shiva SB, Mystic Prayer shared for more HP
Tellah: Blizzaga R3, Curaga R3 - lvl 65 w/ Luminous Robe for the Shell SB

And Ultimate Rubes destroys me. He's spammed inferno, and he hit Rinoa once with Firaga for 3700, when she was shelled. Not sure what to do, other than obviously level Edge up a bit. Steal HP broke the cloak, so maybe I can upgrade that too. I just need more mats.

Real worries about beating this one, though the Murasame & Luminous Robe were a banner pull earlier today. Even got (another) blitz sword. Yay.

Don't know whether to roll with Boon natural or hope for the RW to come through.
If you have Boon you would be crazy not to bring it. Putting Dr. Mog or Mako Might on him and keeping him on Breakdown duty will keep your Boon going the entire fight. Then it frees up your roaming slot for a Grimoire/Stoneskin/Hymn or something else if it fits the rest of your build.

You need to combo up on mitigation and get rid of the excessive cures.

You're also way low on hones, especially since they're 3★, you're gonna want about eight to ten blasts on blizzard/water per character using them (that can hit for 8000+).

I'm almost contemplating doing a Y'sholta with two break downs for mitigation and ss2 and using either Aerith or Sophie for my healer/aoe healer for these ultimate battles.

Falk

that puzzling face
Yeah, the one with the Heal shared SB.
I dismissed it at first but I guess it's not bad if you say so.

Healing Staff (IV) is on both of these banners.

Different one, was talking about the one that's been around since Lenna first showed up.

IV is a lesser catch, but AOE shared heals really are never bad. Only thing is that the AOE heals on armor are usually a better bet, as you generally want it cast by another party member as an emergency heal on top of heals being pumped out by healer.

Balphon

I'm trying to think of a plan for Ultimate Barthandelus that doesn't involve retaliate and it's not coming to me.

Stupid retaliate. I really wish you didn't exist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom