• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy: Record Keeper |OT2| I HAVE NO MYTHRIL AND I MUST SHOUT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Falk

that puzzling face
Pretty much the same vein as "oh my god don't make Valefor a 5* thief ability comes out in half a year (!!!)"

Realistically speaking though, I'm going to r2 and that's about it.

When you think absolute long term, an r2 is a drop in the bucket vs honing a separate ability from r3 to r4.

Also to be quite honest, there's a major shortage of 5* Power compared to 5* black just due to the amount of 5* physical abilities released.

I need some help with my Rubicante team. He's doing so much damage I don't know how to mitigate it. Is the WHM AOE regen stronger than kirin?
WHM has AoE heal that could heal about 700-800 damage (27 potency heal is really weak, shared SB AoE heals are 35 potency while uniques tend to be 50 if they have secondary effects, 56 if only healing) but the core WHM will takes so much damage and doesn't have the stats to tank it either (max HP is especially tragic).

Lenna's AoE regen SB is identical to Kirin. Not sure how much regen will heal over time but strong regen (from Hymn of the fayth) heals about 60% max HP over its full duration.

In terms of brining RW it is a tough decision. You want AoE healing because Blaze being unmitigatable ensures you will take a lot of AoE damage but you would also want a wall to minimise non-blaze damage. I managed to win with the former but it was far from easy (I was using Magic Breakdown, Shelga and Magic Shield and Rubicante was still doing over 1000 single target damage to 300 res characters) and took many attempts.

Pretty much the same vein as "oh my god don't make Valefor a 5* thief ability comes out in half a year (!!!)"

Realistically speaking though, I'm going to r2 and that's about it.

When you think absolute long term, an r2 is a drop in the bucket vs honing a separate ability from r3 to r4.

Also to be quite honest, there's a major shortage of 5* Power compared to 5* black just due to the amount of 5* physical abilities released.

Yeah and this new ability has a much longer charge time so its not like barrage is completely outclassed

Jarekx

Finally have enough orbs to create Full Break. Not sure if I want to wait til rank 2 though. I'll need everything for Barth with his dispels and terrible medal requirements.

Will probably have to bring out the reta team for this one.

Also caught up on classics but I have like 130ish elites to do. Hopefully I can get all that mythril before SSSBfest / tactics banners.

Finally have enough orbs to create Full Break. Not sure if I want to wait til rank 2 though. I'll need everything for Barth with his dispels and terrible medal requirements.

Will probably have to bring out the reta team for this one.

Also caught up on classics but I have like 130ish elites to do. Hopefully I can get all that mythril before SSSBfest / tactics banners.

Full break r1 is amazing do it

elty

r2 will essentially make it usable for the whole fight. r1 means it is more like a burst tool where you can coordinate it with other hard hitting abilities.

Falk

that puzzling face
You should run today's daily you can get Dark and Holy orbs.

K1id6gQl.jpg

wait did i say plural i meant singular

I use 100 gems, wanting to get Auron's weapon a few weeks ago - I get it on my first try - 5*.
I then use 50 mythril for 11x draw and get all lvl3 except for one lvl4.

Today I wanted Fang's weapon - got it on my first 100 gem draw.
Then I proceed to go for mythril draw 3x and I get 3* items only.

I have no idea. :/

What are you trying with atm? Do you have any native AOE healing / mitigation soul breaks?

I have every character to date and could egg some of them to 65 if necessary but would rather avoid that.

Possible relevant tools I have:
- Stoneblade (IV)
- Polymorph Rod (IV)
- Bard's Bangle (IV) AoE heal
- Mystery Veil (VI) AoE Heal
- Vegas (XII) Shellga Hastega
- Guard Stick (VII) AoE Heal
- 2 fire resist rings, 1 ice shield 1 ice armor
- Kirin R4
- Shellga R2
- Renewing Cure R4

Problems:
- Magic breakdown only has 4 charges
- No native wall

I've tried a mage strat and had trouble staying alive, I've also tried a retaliate strat but don't seem to be able to stay alive without wall which means relying on Gilgamesh's Morphin' Time for an attack buff.

MicH

I have every character to date and could egg some of them to 65 if necessary but would rather avoid that.

Possible relevant tools I have:
- Stoneblade (IV)
- Polymorph Rod (IV)
- Bard's Bangle (IV) AoE heal
- Mystery Veil (VI) AoE Heal
- Vegas (XII) Shellga Hastega
- Guard Stick (VII) AoE Heal
- 2 fire resist rings, 1 ice shield 1 ice armor
- Kirin R4
- Shellga R2
- Renewing Cure R4

Problems:
- Magic breakdown only has 4 charges
- No native wall

I've tried a mage strat and had trouble staying alive, I've also tried a retaliate strat but don't seem to be able to stay alive without wall which means relying on Gilgamesh's Morphin' Time for an attack buff.
You have the Vega plus Aerith 'a AoE heal as well as several shared AoE heals. That's a pretty darn good start. Just use a wall RW

You have the Vega plus Aerith 'a AoE heal as well as several shared AoE heals. That's a pretty darn good start. Just use a wall RW

Yeah I'm just having a lot of trouble keeping alive long enough to use them.

Should I stick with a magic setup or retaliate? I'm a little limited on steals, and it seems that HP steal triggers his counter attack. I'm just going for clear not master.

I'm really worried about having only 4 steals and 4 breakdowns. Having to bring Sahz hurts me for magic damage. I wish he had a better ability set.

Are we sure that spellbend etude IS shellga and not the same as celes's magic shield due to the description?

Yeah I'm just having a lot of trouble keeping alive long enough to use them.

Should I stick with a magic setup or retaliate? I'm a little limited on steals, and it seems that HP steal triggers his counter attack. I'm just going for clear not master.

I'm really worried about having only 4 steals and 4 breakdowns. Having to bring Sahz hurts me for magic damage. I wish he had a better ability set.

Are we sure that spellbend etude IS shellga and not the same as celes's magic shield due to the description?

Considering you're bringing a wall rm probably safest to go with magic if you have high enough hones of -aga/-aja.

Pick some of the tankier casters too - Golbez in particular is a good choice as he benefits from synergy. My party was:

Bartz - Steal Power / Watera Strike
Golbez - Waterja/ga (Rune Axe)
Rydia - Blizzaja/ga (Ice Whip)
Eiko - Shiva / Shellga (Emerald Light)
Y'Shtola - Renewing Cure / Magic Breakdown (Wall)

I took Boon as my RW which was probably not necessary with Shell there also. Either way 3 layers of magical mitigation should be sufficient - i've heard Celes is a good choice too with her default SB. Main thing i found (on ExDeath too) is to have an AoE heal go off when reapplying Wall so Eiko and Y'Shtola complement each other well for me but just switch up as appropriate.

SoulUnison

Banned
100 mythril later and I still didn't get Lightning's weapon. Sigh.

I spent about 80 mythril on this banner so far and haven't gotten a single 5*.
I wasn't even crossing my fingers for Peacekeeper... I just want one of Hope boomerangs, since he's my favorite Black Mage and is almost always in my team.

Beat ultimate rubicante with mastery, I'd say he was probably the easiest of the 3 ultimate battles so far even if it took me the most s/l to do it in mostly trying to get use to the timing of the 3rd attack -> cape up -> steal power. Then again having natural wall, 3 natural aoe heals and a shared aoe robe might skew things when I go heavy mage meta.

Also saw myself at 247/250 inventory slots so I decided to use the awesome power of the synergy simulator to trash all the 2++ ~ 3++ weapons where even with synergy I had enough naturally better/synergy better things to use. I mostly focused on weapons because armors get a bit harder to make these kinds of judgement calls but was able to weed out about 25 weapons that I was never going to use. I probably could have dumped another dozen but I opted to keep them on the off chance I pulled another one to combine it to 3++ which would be slightly above my natural 5 weapon collection. I feel pretty confident I'm never going to need 4 mind staffs in a FFXII dungeon and even if I did I can probably sleep well between my Judgement staff and Thyrus.

JTran2003

Gotta rethink my strategy for rubicante. Don't have enough water/ice abilities for my mages to last the entire fight. I was thinking of giving this one up but reading some of the post gives me hope.

Selphie is my aoe heal
Red XIII my wall and break (r1 full break, r2 magic breakdown)
Vivi is my strongest mage
Rinoa second strongest mage
Cecil for shellga and magic break

Don't have enough or decently honed non elemental magic which is my problem for when he goes into defense. An all out attacking team is problematic because of the magic counter which requires constant healing. Issue is sephiroth has SSB and squall has fated circle. They are also my strongest attakers which is why I like having them in the team.

Guess it's not that big a deal if I don't defeat this ultimate boss... Still want to though so hopefully I can do it before the event ends.

Gotta rethink my strategy for rubicante. Don't have enough water/ice abilities for my mages to last the entire fight. I was thinking of giving this one up but reading some of the post gives me hope.

Selphie is my aoe heal

Don't have enough or decently honed non elemental magic which is my problem for when he goes into defense. An all out attacking team is problematic because of the magic counter which requires constant healing. Issue is sephiroth has SSB and squall has fated circle. They are also my strongest attakers which is why I like having them in the team.

Guess it's not that big a deal if I don't defeat this ultimate boss... Still want to though so hopefully I can do it before the event ends.

Red xiii is worthless for rubicante his physical move is so rare its not worth mitigating against. You gotta bring someone with steal power/defense to knock him out from behind his cape so you can keep up the full powered damage. The steal person should also ideally have either magic breakdown or blizzara/aga sword whichever you have at least r3. Full break isn't as useful here as his % based attack is a bigger problem then any extra mitigation of his non % based attacks.

Jarekx

Well, I don't think Fang or lightning will be much of a hindrance on Ultimate Barth. Had an iTunes gift card left from Christmas so I decided to an 11 pull. Got the Glaive and Peacemaker. I must have anti-falk luck tonight.

Guess I'll try for some big burst damage using Planet Protector, Deprotega, and full break.

Balphon

Selphie is my aoe heal

You really need to be able to exploit the fact that thief abilities bring his cape down. I would drop Cecil for someone with Thief (and preferably also spellblade like Bartz and Balthier) and give them steal power. If you don't have steal power at at least rank 2 you can try steal HP, but that may trigger his counters.

You'll obviously still need shellga so you can either shift that to Selphie or drop one of your black mages for someone with 4* black and white magic (Tellah, Hope, Vanille).

Red xiii is worthless for rubicante his physical move is so rare its not worth mitigating against. You gotta bring someone with steal power/defense to knock him out from behind his cape so you can keep up the full powered damage. The steal person should also ideally have either magic breakdown or blizzara/aga sword whichever you have at least r3. Full break isn't as useful here as his % based attack is a bigger problem then any extra mitigation of his non % based attacks.

If he has Lunatic High Red XIII is fine as support. I do and I used him for Rubicante just fine; who your support is doesn't really matter.

Rubicante took me 5 mythril to clear but i cleared it. All back line. As much synergy gear as possible

65/65 Aeris - Kirin - Renewing Cure - Healing Wind - Ace Striker
61/65 Sahz - Magic Breakdown x4 - Haste (didnt use) - Boon - Mako Might
50/65 Golbez - Blizzaja x4 - Waterga x 8 - Mystic Prayer - High Scorer
55/65 Tellah - Waterja x 8 - Blizzaga x 10 - Font of Wisdom - Rod Master
50/65 Edge - Water Veil x 8 - Steal power x 4 - Attunement II

I needed to rely on tellah's font to refill magic breakdown and steal power. I think I used about 8 charges of each in the end. Last mythril was not necessarily needed but he murdered me with one sliver of health left and i wanted blood. Cape was worth it. Wouldn't have got a 5* from my pull anyway.

Mythril bonuses were def + 30% hp + 10% atk + 10%

Credo

I'm trying to get into this again after not playing since May of last year, and I have *absolutely no clue* what is going on. I checked out the quick tips part of the OT and even just reading that part made my eyes glaze over.

I'm trying to find some kind of goal to aim for instead of just aimlessly doing quests, and I noticed this in the quick tips section: "A good medium term goal is to get Black Mage, White Mage and Summoner to 50, to unlock their 2nd Record Materias, which recharge 1 use of each school per stage." My BLM and WHM are both only level 10 compared to my main party, who are around 30, and I don't even see a SMN anywhere in my available members, so I guess I have a long way to go.

elty

I think it is easier if you spread out the damage duty evenly. In my team everyone has a water/ice ability of some sort so no one has any idle time.

MrDaravon

More free mythril, sure why not game

Also finally got around to doing 100-gem pulls on the last two banners (have been kinda busy), more 3*'s as usual lol. At 27 100-gem pulls lifetime to date I'm at:

23 3*
2 4*
3 5*

5* success rate is solid, but only 2 4*s in there super bums me out lol. Still have virtually no RS for most realms, but I'm saving for SSB/FFT banners.

More free mythril, sure why not game

Also finally got around to doing 100-gem pulls on the last two banners (have been kinda busy), more 3*'s as usual lol. At 27 100-gem pulls lifetime to date I'm at:

23 3*
2 4*
3 5*

5* success rate is solid, but only 2 4*s in there super bums me out lol. Still have virtually no RS for most realms, but I'm saving for SSB/FFT banners.

That is my plan, to save up. I have agrias ssb on the Jp game and it is crazy good inflicting a few status like silence and paralyze so less need to carry for medal requirements.

My 100 gem pulls have netted me:
Masamune
Partisan
Mog doll
Edwards harp

Feral pride light armor
Power sash

An maybe another armor or two I forget and probably another weapon or two. Better luck seemingly than my 11 pulls.

Kapow

Does anybody know when the next chance will be to pick up Vaan? I put the game down for several months and missed out on him

Does anybody know when the next chance will be to pick up Vaan? I put the game down for several months and missed out on him
The next FFXII event is three events away, and you can recruit Vaan there if you missed him. (All currently available FFXII characters will be re-released then.)

ETA is early February.

My BLM and WHM are both only level 10 compared to my main party, who are around 30, and I don't even see a SMN anywhere in my available members, so I guess I have a long way to go.
Not sure if you figured out but this doesn't explicitly refer to the 'core' job class.

Rydia is obtained pretty early on if I remember right - she can cover both Black and Summon magic. I can't recall the first White Mage you get but Lenna and Arc are available not too far on.

Be sure to check out the events - they have limited time characters which are worth getting! Rosa (FF4) is available for a little longer and she could fill your White Mage role.

greyshark

Not sure if you figured out but this doesn't explicitly refer to the 'core' job class.

Rydia is obtained pretty early on if I remember right - she can cover both Black and Summon magic. I can't recall the first White Mage you get but Lenna and Arc are available not too far on.

Be sure to check out the events - they have limited time characters which are worth getting! Rosa (FF4) is available for a little longer and she could fill your White Mage role.

I thought it did refer to the core members - especially since it's talking about obtaining their respective RM2's (crucial if you're going mage meta)

I still have only gotten two 5* off 100 gem pulls in the 50+ 100 gem pulls we've gotten

Exactly the same thing here and I did them all... Took me 46 to get a 5*. Not my best investment... At least a bunch were "free" from surveys. When I made the 50 100 gems pull thread on Reddit, I didn't find many as unlucky as us!

Credo

Thanks for the input. I had wondered if Rydia would work in the Summoner role. When I played it a long while back, I got Tyro, Cloud, Tidus, Wakka, Kain, and Rydia to around level 30, but every other character I had was only around level 5-10. However, it seems I hardly upgraded any of my abilities and never even got around to making any better than basic spells except Thundara, so it seems I need to focus on creating and upgrading some abilities before I do anything else.

Kouriozan

Hmm, I don't think I can do event bonus battles yet, but I could do Bahamut elite so I'm making progress! (+ sitting at 107 stamina, I had 67 3 weeks ago)
I'll definitely train and aim to get Terra's MC2 though since she's my favorite character and I got a lot of time to do that so it should be doable, can't wait for the hall of rites to be permanent though.

MicH

#NoRegrets

BGS0kXal.jpg
PfSTwgjl.jpg

Hmm, I don't think I can do event bonus battles yet, but I could do Bahamut elite so I'm making progress! (+ sitting at 104 stamina, I had 67 3 weeks ago)
I'll definitely train and aim to get Terra's MC2 though since she's my favorite character and I got a lot of time to do that so it should be doable, can't wait for the hall of rites to be permanent though.
Have you GOTTEN the RM2s of Black Mage, White Mage and Summoner yet? If not then I highly advise you to get them. BLM and WHM RN2 are really nice to have for the boss rush - especially if you're low on hones

Kouriozan

I got BM and WM, tried Summoner and Seymour wrecked my face for his MC (that was before I had Shellga/Protectga, I should try again)

MicH

I got BM and WM, tried Summoner and Seymour wrecked my face for his MC (that was before I had Shellga/Protectga, I should try again)
Oh good. Summoner, while still good, is the less important of the three.

Also, I have no idea why "gotten" is I'm caps in my previous post :lol Must be some weird sutocorrect on my phone

Kouriozan

Yeah, I'm pretty confident I'll be able to clear bonus battles soon (not counting ultimate), I'll try XIII boss rush before it's over since you can cheese through it with draw fire + retaliate.

#NoRegrets

BGS0kXal.jpg
PfSTwgjl.jpg

Have you GOTTEN the RM2s of Black Mage, White Mage and Summoner yet? If not then I highly advise you to get them. BLM and WHM RN2 are really nice to have for the boss rush - especially if you're low on hones

Whyyyyyyyyyyyyy would you do that. Rosetta stones man.

AZYG4LYFE

Neo Member
Ultimate Barthandelus mastered. Jesus the battle felt really fast paced, lotsa healing and damage dealing. Best and imo challenging ultimate boss thus far. Had to S/L once as I lost my rhythm in phase 1 and messed up somewhere...

Album has stats, abilities and rm details for anyone interested.

http://imgur.com/a/qrO1v

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom