• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy: Record Keeper |OT2| I HAVE NO MYTHRIL AND I MUST SHOUT

Status
Not open for further replies.
My FFXIII gear isn't so great so at first I thought I wouldn't be able to drag Lightning and Fang along, so I just completed it without them.

But then I saw this really great setup on Reddit, tried it out, and it worked very well. Still a tense fight, but definitely doable. Would recommed for anyone struggling with Mastery on this one, as all the gear is free. (Requires a few high level hones, but nothing radical.)

This is my plan only with a much better retaliate weapon (Fang's spear) and a native wall so I'll just yolo advance and hope to kill him quick.

Just did the boss rush, knowing Byrn was fast as balls I out auto haste on wakka and gilga only took 1 s/l to get up draw taiate and breakdowns then the fight became a joke.

Falk

that puzzling face
When you realize Sephiroth with a Danjuro has 17 more ATK than Tyro with Pumpkin in XIII synergy. Even more when using the 3++ event knife.

image.php

Can't use Steal Power tho if no Planet Protector

Balphon

I managed to beat Bart with a non-retaliate strategy but it was so heavily RNG dependent I doubt I'd try it again. If he used Baptism in Ruin more than twice or so I was basically screwed, that attack is ridiculous.

Didn't master it because he killed my healer literally a second before Lightning killed him, so I may try it again with retaliate later on to see if it's any easier.

I may have to bail on this game at some point if my luck on pulls doesn't turn around. There is just so much randomness in these fights than can only be mitigated by bowling the target over quickly. At least Godo seems fairly straightforward.

Falk

that puzzling face
Eh, XIII is the outlier where there's a lot of hard events but not a healthy pool of melee weapons (which the double character requirement kind of necessitates)

Like I said, it's not the first XIII event to be absurd vs simple depending on what you have (see: Brynhildr from Sazh event)

If you can handle the previous ultimates you should generally be fine.

Balphon

Eh, XIII is the outlier where there's a lot of hard events but not a healthy pool of melee weapons (which the double character requirement kind of necessitates)

Like I said, it's not the first XIII event to be absurd vs simple depending on what you have (see: Brynhildr from Sazh event)

If you can handle the previous ultimates you should generally be fine.

Yeah, I was more saying if Ultimate+ bosses start coming out (Ultimate+ Kuja sounds like a joy) and I still haven't gotten anything higher up in the power creep. I'm generally pretty fine right now, and I have LH and a few other reliably good things. FFXIII is one of my weakest synergies; the only thing I have that everyone else doesn't is Blazefire Sabre. My only 4*s are that terrible fist weapon and a bracer.

That said, I probably could hone a few things and go back to master Bart, but I just don't know how much S/L I want to have to deal with if he decides to get happy with Baptism in Ruin. I'm out of Mog friends for the moment anyway.

Seriously, Baptism in Ruin is crap. 1350% damage? For real? What a jerk.

hesho

wow.. bart does alot of dmg.....

i actually had s/l the first time. Was thinking that i had to bring break/downs... but tried it again and finished it no problem at all....

Silly RNG.

LucaMac

I'm out of Mog friends for the moment anyway.
I can switch to Mog if you want. I've Hand of the Emperor up at the moment which seems to be more in demand than poor old Mogface. Barty seems to have brought out demand for him though. Having both of them naturally gave Barty a right kicking. Just had to pick a wall RW. 9fRE.

On that note. Anybody reading who wants me to switch back to HoTE at any stage just say so.

Falk

that puzzling face
Yeah, I was more saying if Ultimate+ bosses start coming out (Ultimate+ Kuja sounds like a joy) and I still haven't gotten anything higher up in the power creep. I'm generally pretty fine right now, and I have LH and a few other reliably good things. FFXIII is one of my weakest synergies; the only thing I have that everyone else doesn't is Blazefire Sabre. My only 4*s are that terrible fist weapon and a bracer.

Honestly? I'm looking forward to those since they're 1 stam a pop, and open to a lot of fun experimentation even if they're a little outside my comfort zone.

Then again, I fully expect to have ~500 Myth by BSSB/FFT, so if I don't get anything good with 500 (I'm not particular, already worked out 5-6 puller relics) I'll probably just cry to myself in the corner

and probably $$$ because hey, it will have been a year. Getting nothing from 500 Myth + $$$ might just make me quit too~ Freedom!

Out of curiosity since I noticed different behavior, I'm looking at some videos, and Baptism is weird. Sometimes, all 3 hit whoever was the highest HP person without changing. Other times, each individual shot of the 3 retarget to the highest HP person. I'm wondering if one or the other behavior is a bug, because it seems really inconsistent.

(p.s. on Retaliate meta, having your ret guy alternate between Retaliate and Defend helps both for this and Smile, since you can manually select-heal the ret guy e.g. even if he's 50% HP and someone else is 45% hp and be assured he'll tank Baptism)

ultra7k

You know what would be a QoL feature? If they just included a RW shuffle button for 1 stamina. Would save me time and clicks from having to go all the way to Fabul Castle and run the one battle and back lol.

WarAdept

Rummaging through countless pages of Record Materia is still balls. Wish you could favourite 10 or so and have that as a sorting option. Doesn't matter too much with abilities because they're decently sorted into groups (unless you're Tyro, fuck that noise).

Beat Barthandelus with one S/L. I was super stressed going into this event with shit all synergy and the Dispel countering my one good SB (Emerald Light). Turns out little Tyro is the Retaliator that could. Steal Power is a beautiful skill.

If I could do it again, I'd try and find a way to put Protectga somewhere (but I have no idea where). My physical mitigation basically consisted of back row, Steal Power and Full Break. But that Thanatosian Smile destroyed my first run by him spamming the shit out of it. The rest of his attacks were magic based and was hitting for pebbles.

Time to get Quina!

Balphon

Honestly? I'm looking forward to those since they're 1 stam a pop, and open to a lot of fun experimentation even if they're a little outside my comfort zone.

Then again, I fully expect to have ~500 Myth by BSSB/FFT, so if I don't get anything good with 500 (I'm not particular, already worked out 5-6 puller relics) I'll probably just cry to myself in the corner

I have 0 mythril now. It's not that I lack stuff due to hoarding, it's that I'm spending and getting jack. Just takes one lucky pull though, I guess.

Out of curiosity since I noticed different behavior, I'm looking at some videos, and Baptism is weird. Sometimes, all 3 hit whoever was the highest HP person without changing. Other times, each individual shot of the 3 retarget to the highest HP person. I'm wondering if one or the other behavior is a bug, because it seems really inconsistent.

He's only focused it on me. Be easier if he retargeted since that'd mean one person isn't eating 3000 damage.

Negator

Mastered Bartandalus with Heroic Harmony strat. Jeez there were some close calls. Setup. Heroic Harmony RW.

Edit: Thanks to LucaMac for his contribution to my victory!

Balphon

I can switch to Mog if you want. I've Hand of the Emperor up at the moment which seems to be more in demand than poor old Mogface. Barty seems to have brought out demand for him though. Having both of them naturally gave Barty a right kicking. Just had to pick a wall RW. 9fRE.

On that note. Anybody reading who wants me to switch back to HoTE at any stage just say so.

I refreshed until I pulled your Mog, went back and mastered Bart this time.

Mastered Bartandalus with Heroic Harmony strat. Jeez there were some close calls.

Edit: Thanks to LucaMac for his contribution to my victory!

LucaMac for thread MVP.

nacarelli

Neo Member
Mastered Barts today. Went with a full physical party (helps that a have a Peacekeeper, Vegas, the non SB spear and the freebies from last year).

Used Heroic Harmony for RW and had to S/L'd 2 times before finally defeating him. In the first time I underestimated how much damage he could do and delayed mitigation; second time he killed Yshtola at about 15% health. Third time I nailed the timing and finished almost full health (also, Fang default SB is the same as Greg, which means she was doing 8k damage with Lighting Jump).

All in all, a fairer fight than Yunalesca (when I had to use Drawtaliate, I hate this strategy) and cooler than Rubicante.

Falk

that puzzling face
and cooler than Rubicante.

i get it.

Honestly it's a really well designed fight - Phase 1 necessitates you burn them fast, or they toast you in their second power up, mitigation or not. Phase 2 essentially asks you to toss up between offensive or defensive mitigation so the boss actually hits a little less absurdly than Rubicante/Ex Death.

Only blemish is that it requires two characters, who in order to not be near absolutely useless necessitates you pull specifically RS relics they can use, a significant portion of which comes with the very banner that's on the event (yeah, obviously this has to be intentional)

If it was 2 characters required in any other realm, or 1 XIII character required, I'd have been OK with it. But no. 2 physical XIII characters.

XIII synergy really is just odd that way. Especially when there's like a 4* fist and 4* healer rod as the only available non-5 weapons so you're not likely to have a pool of usable 4++ gear like the others (Neither Lightning nor Fang can use staves/fists for obvious reasons). Also gz if you have Vegas!

Barthandelus down and mastered here too. I opted for Hand of the Emperor over Advance for that extra defence against Thanatossian Smile.

It was a bit annoying having to bring Fang in particular but still love the fight. Would rate the Ultimates so far ExDeath > Barthandelus > Rubicante > Yunalesca on fun factor.

Yeah, I should have 250+ saved up by then. I figure that I won't have problems taking out the ultimates with the gear I have and would rather play the odds on the much better banners. I don't really care what ssbs I get so long as I can land 3 offensive melee ones, preferably of the non-elemental variety, and I don't need extra junk that clutters up these banners like the light armors and fists.

Mastered bart with a weird hybrid strategy of a number of different things I've sseen around over the last few days. It was a retaliate strat, but with Boon instead of Advance, just boosting a Level 79 retaliator while keeping a constant flow of Breakdowns, SGs and Hymn of the Fayths to keep the damage down. Worked out ok. Not nearly as bad as some of the other ultimates. Think the next two should be quite manageable, too, as I have ok synergy for 9 and brilliant synergy for 7. Famous last words, though...

I used my classic "Advantaliate YOLO double strike" against Barthandelus. I was lucky he casted ruinga twice, he was down before using Destrudo and killing my team.

5q3mhhtl.jpg

Rubicante >>> Yunalesca >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Barthandelus >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Exdeath

Rubi is my fav, timing my attacks and using steal power to break his defense. Yunalesca was a meh, Bart can die in a fire for using counter dispel several times and Exdeath was a S/L fest.

LucaMac

LucaMac for thread MVP.

I'm tearing up a little...

Now...do I get a trophy or a medal or something?

EDIT: Exdeath was by far the most difficult for me. I even burned a few mythril. Ruby took a long time but it was just a case of getting the timing right once I'd finalised my setup. Yunalesca was a walkover and got her on my first s/l (the first time she holyied yuna pre mitigation.) and Barty was grand once I saw a few peoples set ups and realised I really didn't need to bring breakdowns as I had HH and could take a wall RW.

Xetherion

Fuck Baptism in Ruin. 2000 fucking damage per hit, through Shellga (SG ran out before i could get it up again, and I was out of RW Heroic Harmony charges), all 3 hits focused on a single character. Bart only had like 5% hp left too. Go die in a fire whoever designed this piece of shit fight.

Jyrii

Banned
Cid is a RNG bastard.

First time I thought he was easy, as got his health down to 1/20, but then my second healer died.

Then I did around 10 S/L and the last time was quite successful ..till he used Seraphic Ray TWICE in a row. I survived the first one and would have gotten my SG and Oerba's boon up, but he instantly hit me again with it.

Edit.
Few S/L's later a similar situation, but this time 3 Seraphic Rays in a row.

Edit2.
Yay 4 times in a row :(

I've hit another stretch where I don't care about the game that much. I still log in but I'm barely doing anything. Still haven't tried the last Elite for this event yet.

I'll power through at some point and then probably skip the Ultimate again.

Jyrii

Banned
Any tips for Cid?

That dispel is what gets me. I get my SG and Advance back up and he will dispel me again till my whole part is dead.

Nyuk nyuk nyuk.

But yeah, when even Cait Sith gets an event you know something is up.
???

I know you're probably joking, but being a main party character I think entitles you to an event. (And it wasn't even a regular sized event.) It also was pretty timely in Japan too, because it was themed around the four dates Cloud can go on at the Gold Saucer, and it was released around Christmas, which is more of a romantic holiday in Japan then it is in the west.

Three separate Sephiroth events on the other hand... (With a fourth on the way.)

Balphon

???

I know you're probably joking, but being a main party character I think entitles you to an event. (And it wasn't even a regular sized event.) It also was pretty timely in Japan too, because it was themed around the four dates Cloud can go on at the Gold Saucer, and it was released around Christmas, which is more of a romantic holiday in Japan then it is in the west.

Three separate Sephiroth events on the other hand... (With a fourth on the way.)

I was mostly joking, though the Cait Sith equivalents of other games (Mog, Edward, Quina) are afterthoughts by comparison. Maybe Reeve is finally getting the respect he deserves.

But you're right. It's the Sephiroth stuff that is genuinely telling/annoying. I would've liked a Cid or Red XIII event.

I was mostly joking, though the Cait Sith equivalents of other games (Mog, Edward, Quina) are afterthoughts by comparison. Maybe Reeve is finally getting the respect he deserves.

But you're right. It's the Sephiroth stuff that is genuinely telling/annoying. I would've liked a Cid or Red XIII event.
Yeah, it sucks when certain characters don't really get any spotlight, while others get multiple instances. Edward was the focus of an event in Japan, we just didn't get it here sadly.

At least with Cloud and Sephiroth, after the upcoming Seph event in Japan, there's not really much reason to highlight them again for a while, so hopefully we'll get a break.

Most characters have MC2 now. And a bunch have BSSB.

You know what that means for Cloud.
With the new Core Augment system, I don't think MC3s are gonna be a thing that soon. (At least that's my hope.)

They should be going hard on FFXI, FFXIV and FFT for the next while, and hopefully giving the original three games some more attention.

With the new Core Augment system, I don't think MC3s are gonna be a thing that soon. (At least that's my hope.)

They should be going hard on FFXI, FFXIV and FFT for the next while, and hopefully giving the original three games some more attention.

Are they bothering with MC2's for cores? I'd be ok if they didn't and just relegated to things you capped once then slapped on your good characters.

Jyrii

Banned
Any tips for Cid?

That dispel is what gets me. I get my SG and Advance back up and he will dispel me again till my whole part is dead.

Hundred S/L later the RNG gods finally smiled on me. Only one Seraphic Ray and that was just before my second Advance.

Are they bothering with MC2's for cores? I'd be ok if they didn't and just relegated to things you capped once then slapped on your good characters.
I guess we'll see. Preferably I'd like everyone to get an MC2, even Cores, but this new system might change all that. (Some Cores don't even have their first MC yet...)

I'm hoping it's revealed tonight in Japan, along with the new Abyss Dungeon.

Czarcasm

Finally finished the classic dungeons, now I only have 160 Elite dungeons to go through before I'm all caught up....plus whatever dungeons we get in the upcoming update.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom