• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy: Record Keeper |OT2| I HAVE NO MYTHRIL AND I MUST SHOUT

Status
Not open for further replies.
My humble VII gear made the bonus battles (haven't done Ultimate yet) so easy.

I ran all of them without heavy planning and won without sweats.

And I guess I'm sold on Lifesiphon, I had Black-Hair Cloud doing 27,000 with his Soul Break.

Jarekx

Ultimate down. No S/L required. Trying to mentally prepare for the beatdown Beatrix is going to put on me. I think they only IX synergy weapons I have are Cat's Claw and a Gladius+. Guess it's better than nothing.

Now we have the ability shattering, is there ANY reason for me to keep stuff around? IE if I have Fira Strike and Firaga Strike, I surely might as well shatter Fire Strike, right?

Ultimate down. No S/L required. Trying to mentally prepare for the beatdown Beatrix is going to put on me. I think they only IX synergy weapons I have are Cat's Claw and a Gladius+. Guess it's better than nothing.
I think Beatrix is going to be the first one I take an "L" on.

Although there's always the five man Retaliate thing if all else fails (including fire).

Balphon

Now we have the ability shattering, is there ANY reason for me to keep stuff around? IE if I have Fira Strike and Firaga Strike, I surely might as well shatter Fire Strike, right?

I still occasionally use the 2* strikes, but with orb conversion it'd be very easy to remake 1* or 2* abilities that you find yourself needing.

I junked several abilities that I just never use (e.g. Bonecrusher).

I think Beatrix is going to be the first one I take an "L" on.

Although there's always the five man Retaliate thing if all else fails (including fire).

5-man retaliate just sounds like hours of S/L until she doesn't ever use Holy or Shock.

ZangBa

I thought this ultimate was supposed to be easy, it was pretty much on the same level as the rest of them with that goddamn AOE spam over and over.

To be honest, you should have been selling any 2★ and 3★ abilities you didn't need (or needed to clear inventory space) since those orbs are plentiful.

MrDaravon

Wondering this as well. It doesn't seem like the gil cost for orb conversion is anywhere near as bad as people thought, so even if for some reason you needed a lower-level ability at some point you could just re-make it or down-convert a higher orb?

MicH

IX is one of the realms where I don't have too much synergy. Beatrix ultimate is gonna be interesting. I had such an easy time with the Barthandelus and Godo ultimates as I have amazing synergy for those realms

5-man retaliate just sounds like hours of S/L until she doesn't ever use Holy or Shock.
I dunno, Falk posted a video of it earlier, I didn't watch the whole thing.

I would guess with that you could give Tyro Shellga or plan your Roaming Warrior around it.

Like I said, it's probably a last resort option for anyone without good IX gear.

Grzi

mQn1JHV.jpg

Did it. Whew.
It might not seem like much to you guys but I started playing four weeks ago and this fight was HARD.
The boss rush was surprisingly easy though.
I reckon it'll be a few more weeks until I'm ready to take on the ultimate bosses, but who knows, it might take longer.
Also, too bad I didn't get Lightning's relic, since she's my only character with a MC2 now.

Falk

that puzzling face
I thought this ultimate was supposed to be easy, it was pretty much on the same level as the rest of them with that goddamn AOE spam over and over.

don't listen to falk

falk never said godo was easy in this case though, was a reddit thing

I'm trying to decide if I should do Ultimate today or Monday, Saturdays have been my day to burn as many Elite Dungeons as possible.

I could probably math to check if I can squeeze it in today and still end the night with 4/5 shards for tomorrow.

Noi

If I had to quantify difficulty into "how many S/Ls and stamina used it took to beat", my ranking for the Ultimates so far would be

Rubicante >> Exdeath > Yunalesca >>> Godo = Barthandelus. Omega tied with Rubi if we're counting him.

Still had to bring a Wall + Haste spell to every single one (except Omega, who I even dropped healing entirely for since he was stopped for the entire thing). Beatrix is prob a lost cause for me unless I do got the 5 man retaliate.

Balphon

I dunno, Falk posted a video of it earlier, I didn't watch the whole thing.

I would guess with that you could give Tyro Shellga or plan your Roaming Warrior around it.

Like I said, it's probably a last resort option for anyone without good IX gear.

I watched it and he just didn't get hit with Holy or Shock. She reduces everyone's HP to 1 twice so you really can't count on mitigating it, though you can have one person die and not lose any medals.

Jyrii

Banned
I was able to do the ultimate (my first one).

Everything was going great, the boss only had 20% health left and my team was near full health. Then he hit with gravija and another aoe causing Cecil and Yuffie to die. Cloud and Sephiroth nearly killed him, but then died by beast sword. Aerith somehow survived and leftover sap finished him off.

Only got novice, but I don't think I will try that again.

Okay, if I don't fail somewhere along the way and do all 61 stamina dungeons (maaaaaybe one 81), I can try the Ultimate tonight and still be at 4/5 to get a cheap refill for EXP tomorrow.

WarAdept

Well whining about how hard Godo was here worked. I figured out what I did wrong the first time: brought HotE instead of Wall.

This is what happens when you rely on Advantilate too much. I was too scared of doing too little damage. As it turns out, my dps is fine and that extra high levels of mitigation makes all the difference.

Kaiterra

Banned

Barthandelus was a cheap motherfucker. Baptism in Ruin is a garbage ability that is blatantly unfair. The ability for him to just point at characters with full HP and multiple layers of mitigation and go BANG, YOU DEAD is horseshit, especially in a fight that requires me to have a specific pair of characters not die.

At least it was... "Worth it?" I had to spend a full day's worth of stamina because I attempted at first with Heroic Harmony RW instead of Advance.

don't listen to falk

Reddit was telling me Rubicante was easy and he was completely impossible for me. I think Godo will be fine though if for no reason other than his Sap vulnerability. Might take a bunch of S/Ls but I'll get it.

ZangBa

don't listen to falk

It was definitely the impression I got from reddit, like it was supposed to be a joke. I ended up having to change my party up a few times until I found the right team and one shot it, but still.

Here's hoping Beatrix has the opposite effect on me, lol.

None of the Ultimate content is easy. Don't listen to anyone that says otherwise. It's end game stuff and requires a mix of high end gear, high level characters, specialized abilities ect. The ease of victory will vary greatly for everybody.

Kaiterra

Banned
None of the Ultimate content is easy. Don't listen to anyone that says otherwise. It's end game stuff and requires a mix of high end gear, high level characters, specialized abilities ect. The ease of victory will vary greatly for everybody.

Yeah, like, Ultimate Yunalesca was basically a joke for me but I'm sure tons of other day 1 players struggled with it.

Balphon

Godo is "easy" in the sense that he is straightforward and doesn't really have irregular mechanics that you need to deal with. The mask switching just makes him alternate his attacks consistently which is actually probably a good thing, and the counter heals don't do much. The other recent and upcoming ultimates have more onerous gimmicks that you have to actually compensate for:

Exdeath - Double Attacks
Yunalesca - Sap
Rubicante - Cape
Barthandelus - Dispel, Lightning/Fang
Beatrix - Climhazzard, Reflect
Vossler - CT0, Reflect
Maduin - Magic Seal, Dispel, Regen

Godo is "easy" in the sense that he is straightforward and doesn't really have irregular mechanics that you need to deal with. The mask switching just makes him alternate his attacks consistently which is actually probably a good thing, and the counter heals don't do much. The other recent and upcoming ultimates have more onerous gimmicks that you have to actually compensate for:

Exdeath - Double Attacks
Yunalesca - Sap
Rubicante - Cape
Barthandelus - Dispel, Lightning/Fang
Beatrix - Climhazzard, Reflect
Vossler - CT0, Reflect
Maduin - Magic Seal, Dispel, Regen

Upcoming ultimates have auto reflect? Eww so mandatory reflect on your team for mages plus a drain spell or lots of aoe heal soul breaks.

Kouriozan

Hoarding those mythrils
315 at the moment
is nice but I also have to fight the urge to spend a lot on my favorite character's banner (Terra), plus I still need the holy trinity.
I would feel better about it if we had rolling gacha :s
Edit : nevermind, I have Pincess's Favor, still wall + hastega relics to get.

Credo

I just got back into this about a week ago, and I've worked my way up to 150 mithril. On the relic draw screen, I see the "Wutai Headband & Assault Gun", "4-point Shuriken & Platinum Fist", "Dr. Mog's Beginner's Choice", and "1 Free Relic Draw per Day" icons/banners/whatever they're called.

I need some upgrades pretty badly to help me progress, so which of these icons/banners do I need to use for my first relic draw? Just at a glance, it seems like I should go with the Dr. Mog Beginner's one because it says something about a one-time only relic draw + bonus relic thing that will let me choose a relic after using the the x10 draw option. If I do that, is there a certain relic or relics that are known to be better choices than other ones? Sorry to ask a question that probably has an obvious answer to regular players, but I'm still a bit overwhelmed by everything even though I've been back at it for a week.

Noi

You can go about it two ways. You can either:

A. Do the Beginner now and pick the free relic you're interested in, cause a free 5* is a free 5* and it'll help you out a lot /now/.

B. The Beginner banner lasts until September, while the other banners don't. You can hold off on pulling in it until much later, once you have more relics, and then pull on it to make up for something you don't have by then, be it synergy for a specific realm, a mage stick or whatever.

Pulling for relics won't guarantee getting the weapons/armor featured on the banners, with the sole exception being the free relic you can pick on the begginer banner. You can get assorted 3 star, 4 star or 5 star gear from different realms, so if you want, you can wait until a banner pops up for a character/game you like and pull on it to start with for an increased chance of getting it.

Rolling through these new dungeons with meteor r3/ruinga r4 and valefor r5/bahamut r2 is so good. throw tyro in the mix with life siphon (stormlance grimoire sb) and whatever ability is needed for the medals as well as a healer and red to hopefully nab his rm and this is easy street.

I unfortunately did not realize that bahamut r3 required not 30 but 40 major summons orbs, so I need 10 more before getting him to r3. how embarrassing!

I just got back into this about a week ago, and I've worked my way up to 150 mithril. On the relic draw screen, I see the "Wutai Headband & Assault Gun", "4-point Shuriken & Platinum Fist", "Dr. Mog's Beginner's Choice", and "1 Free Relic Draw per Day" icons/banners/whatever they're called.

I need some upgrades pretty badly to help me progress, so which of these icons/banners do I need to use for my first relic draw? Just at a glance, it seems like I should go with the Dr. Mog Beginner's one because it says something about a one-time only relic draw + bonus relic thing that will let me choose a relic after using the the x10 draw option. If I do that, is there a certain relic or relics that are known to be better choices than other ones? Sorry to ask a question that probably has an obvious answer to regular players, but I'm still a bit overwhelmed by everything even though I've been back at it for a week.

I'd say the top choices for the beginner banner garunteed pull are in order for a complete beginner

Tyrfing: FFIII synergy is rare, advance is a very power sb that can turn Luneth into an insane glass cannon with double cut, tempo flurry, or barrage (whichever you have access to)

Healing staff: Best mind weapon in the game, will make any healer great even if its sb isn't anything special (you should just s/l if someone dies). Could let you keep using Cura/aga where most others would have to bump up to the next level, and will make dia/ara/aga be 9999 a lot of the time depending upon difficulty of content.

Valkyrie or Storm Staff: best offensive mage weapons, the storm staff will be more useful sooner with the beatrix event coming up at the same time you might pull a better magic weapon from one of those banners. Valkyrie is a throwing magic weapon good for ninjas or mages who can use it and has a pretty good sb for rinoa.

Ras Algethi: great ranged weapon which can let you do good damage from the back row and be extra safe. Sb isn't great but at least its aoe and water so not much resist it.

Stormlance: limited to tyro, can be as powerful as an ssb with the right set up, not really worth for beginners

Everything else sucks and is a complete waste of time

You have time to wait and see what you get from celebrations and other banners, but if you really need one of the above now to push you over the hump to do a lot of content go for it.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
It's weird how advance works well for some ultimates and terrible for others. I still have nightmares about rubicante, but this latest one was very easy.

Balphon

Everything else sucks and is a complete waste of time

You have time to wait and see what you get from celebrations and other banners, but if you really need one of the above now to push you over the hump to do a lot of content go for it.

Ninja Chainmail has that 100% AoE slow SB on it that's pretty good. I think it's still my RW.

I'd agree with the rest though. And he probably doesn't have Thancred anyway.

Credo

Thanks for the detailed response. I haven't quite gotten to the point where I can't progress, but I'm getting close to it. My main problem is that I'm so overwhelmed with options about what to do (level characters, create/hone abilities, upgrade/combine equipment, etc.) that I'm almost to the point of doing nothing except pushing on in the story. I guess I'll just keep going until I hit a wall and then try to figure out what to do.

Ninja Chainmail has that 100% AoE slow SB on it that's pretty good. I think it's still my RW.

Correct! I just now unlocked the FFIX and FFXII parts, so I'm still in the early game I guess.

Yeah I don't believe Thancred is a character one can easily get hence not suggesting it. If he wanted an armor Snow's XIII armor would be a better pick since iirc snow is part of the main story and there are a lot more uses for xiii armor then xiv armor.

Thanks for the detailed response. I haven't quite gotten to the point where I can't progress, but I'm getting close to it. My main problem is that I'm so overwhelmed with options about what to do (level characters, create/hone abilities, upgrade/combine equipment, etc.) that I'm almost to the point of doing nothing except pushing on in the story. I guess I'll just keep going until I hit a wall and then try to figure out what to do.

Correct! I just now unlocked the FFIX and FFXII parts, so I'm still in the early game I guess.

Yeah a mix of as far as you can on events and as far as you can on story content will get your surprisingly far. Highest priority for you should be getting a team of level broken characters since having access to record materia is a big deal for harder content.

WarAdept

Pretty much. The only thing you really need to watch out for is the physical AoE and Gaze. Gaze being my no1 priority in that fight to take out.

AoE Slow like Thancred's Death Blossom would probably work pretty good there. If you're in need of one I haven't changed my RW from him yet and have him decked out in a 6* buster sword and godo's helm. Quote to see my ID.

MicH

I swear to God I'm never getting Leon's RM2. I've brought him to every daily since we got his MC and still no sign of that darn RM2. Forever stuck in my party

broz0rs

Earlier today, I beat Ultimate Bart with 10 minutes remaining before the event was to be shut down. This is how I feel about the fight.

OzksVah.jpg

I was too stubborn in sticking with a non-retaliate strategy and over and over again I kept getting hit with counter dispel. I can never get mitigation back up before Bart's next attack and would usually get hit by a smile, essentially wiping my party. I didn't think about changing strategies earlier because I was consistent in getting Bart down to 25% life remaining, and figured RNG would eventually side with me.

Half an hour remaining I started to panic and realized I wouldn't be able to beat him. I decided to switch plans to retaliate in order for dispel to not trigger, but I have no FFXIII sword, fists, or dagger for Gilgamesh.

Then I realize I have a spare gun, so why not Tyro? I have SG on him so perhaps I can use Advance as my RW instead of mitigation. I also decided to experiment and use steal power. Advantilate with steal power allowed Tyro to hit Bart for 7k per hit. I was so relieved to see those numbers. It took me two attempts after my switch, but I finally put the bastard down.

rvQf3ft.png

Complete mind fart not bringing Fang or I would have gotten mastery.

Falk

that puzzling face
A week after crafting Curaja I'm still absentmindedly putting Curaga on healer.

Didn't have this problem with Renewing Cure.

Noi

Spent a few mythril / eggs to grind Auron and Keeper to 65. Gonna spend the day solo power-leveling the latter from 65 to 70-ish without using more myth. Already have Cloud at 80, Sephy in the 70's and Gilgamesh at 65.

If I'm gonna try the 5 man retaliate strat on Beatrix, I may as well pump out every bit of damage I can.

A week after crafting Curaja I'm still absentmindedly putting Curaga on healer.

Didn't have this problem with Renewing Cure.

I use a lot of the favorite party slots and made them all before I had curaja, so now I'm absentmindedly assembling those partied and forgetting to register the new abilies. I'm inside dungeons before I remember to do so.

Hoorah, another Ultimate down with no real troubles. <3

I REALLY wanted Yuffie to Steal Power/Tempo Flurry (love this combo, will eventually be Steal Power/Barrage), but of course I needed a pesky Sap, then I remembered that I have Vaan's Soul Break, so in he goes. Black-Hair Cloud does Lifesiphon and Soul Break, then went on to Dismissal duty (which hit a couple very lucky times, yay).

Finally broke Lightning a second time, still working on d cecil and red 13, looking ahead most of the incoming mc2s are for characters I rarely use :(

MrDaravon

With orb conversion was finally just able to craft Full Break (Ice orbs seem to be by far my greatest choke point for whatever reason) so that's nifty to have finally. Also swapped out Curaga for Curaja finally, and got a few Diaga hones in.

Starting to get to the point though in core dungeons (particularly elites) where having shit synergy in almost all of the realms is really hurting me. I reallllllly badly in particular need mage weapons, I have shit for them, especially black mages. Any battles where it's only ranged or magic attacks suck pretty bad, and getting to the point where I'm starting to fail some battles outright or not get Master. Not really sure what I can really do about it though, my luck is pretty shit at pulls lol. At something like 160 mythril right now, still planning on saving everything for SSB + FFT banners. I would just straight up pay money for two good BM weapons and a good AoE heal SB (still salty I couldn't get Lennas), would be a complete gamechanger for me. I guess worse case if I get really stuck can just stick to running dailies until we hit the banners I plan on pulling on and see what I get there.

she always comes back anyway

oh you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom