• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy: Record Keeper |OT2| I HAVE NO MYTHRIL AND I MUST SHOUT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Falk

that puzzling face
I would argue my setup would be doable with a wall RW and Protectga without being SIGNIFICANTLY easier, but I've been known to go overkill on min-maxing the game.

My run where I brought Y'shtola and Yuna for Wall and AOE heal with a Lunatic High RW, Yuna ended up being completely useless out of her underpowered Valefor summons in P1, because AOE heal would have messed up my strat. She did literally zero damage to Vossler past 50% (might as well defend to reduce incoming damage rather than autoattack) Replacing her with a DPS would pretty much have come rather close on overall DPS as having party haste. Keeping up on healing on the CT0 tank was a non-issue as Vossler was hitting for under 290 per hit on Cecil - it'd take 3 full turns for Cecil to go under anyone else's %HP from full, and a Curaja easily covers that much. Mechanically, outside of requiring a heal to top up Cecil, it's similar to the Unyielding Fist strat, except the wall RW helps mitigate the AOE damage.

edit: worth reposting

IPfNt8kl.jpg

This is what it should look like. Plus the third hit in a triple CT0 two turns after the last heal.

Using native SG, Sentinel on Pecil, Hastega RW and good Cures management (lived on the edge for this fight), Vossler went down in 2 S/L, one was because Tempo Flurry did not stick after 10 attacks... I was afraid this fight would give me trouble. Very happy to be done that quickly!

Kaiterra

Banned
Oh hey I was gonna skip Vossler but I drew a Drill just now and that might just be enough mitigation for me to feel like bothering.

WarAdept

It's much MUCH easier if you have your own Wall user. Like, I feel bad for everyone that doesn't have one.

It's the worst. I basically had 1 layer of Mitigation for the first phase: Protectga. My other forms of mitigation were Steal Power and Full Break, and they're really there so I can actually have some damage input to kill Vossler. 24 hours of S/L because so much shit could (and did) go wrong:

• Tempo Flurry wouldn't Slow, S/L
  • Eiko's ATB wasn't high enough at the start to use Protectga, S/L
  • All 3 would gang up on one member (which happened a ridiculous amount of times, I wouldn't be surprised if this is programmed in the AI)
  • Vossler decided to be a dick and spam Attack AoE
  • Mess up the critical small window of timing refreshing Unyielding Fist (because it misses when still active)
  • Water Sprout
  • etc

Balphon

My 3-4 best runs against Vossler, including the one where I finally mastered it, all involved him casting reflect on himself right before getting hit with Waterja. In some of them I even frequently waited for him to act with Krile at full ATB just to be sure and it still happened.

The jerk.

ZangBa

The thing about Wall as RW for me is I was surviving just fine and it was no problem keeping Cecil alive, but I couldn't do enough damage to finish the fight, not even close. If I had better synergy or some good SB's, it probably wouldn't be as bad, but I didn't. :c

The thing about Wall as RW for me is I was surviving just fine and it was no problem keeping Cecil alive, but I couldn't do enough damage to finish the fight, not even close. If I had better synergy or some good SB's, it probably wouldn't be as bad, but I didn't. :c

That's why if you had your own Wall you could trivialize the fight and take a RW like the galuf cheese(bring an all offense squad). Or use Advance(retaliate) like I do every single fight lol. I used to use a Wall as my RW for every instance. My friend list used to be 50% Wall users. 200% more defenses is way, way too powerful of a buff in my opinion. It sort of ruined the game for me to be honest, and I did everything in my power to get a Thyrus. I'm ashamed to admit this, but I ended up spending real money to make sure I did.

I haven't tried the fight yet (actually, haven't finished the event itself >_>), but I'm thinking I'll go Advance w/ Cloud using the 5* Lohengrin (XII) I recently pulled (198 RS ATK) and Galuf w/ his glove for CT0 cheese. I wager that will go well (or will I need a Wall for the rest of my team?).

I haven't tried the fight yet (actually, haven't finished the event itself >_>), but I'm thinking I'll go Advance w/ Cloud using the 5* Lohengrin (XII) I recently pulled (198 RS ATK) and Galuf w/ his glove for CT0 cheese. I wager that will go well (or will I need a Wall for the rest of my team?).

You'll be fine. You simply have to make sure your team is damaged around the 60% boss hp point, except for Galuf who needs to have more health than everyone else in order to draw the bosses attention.

Falk

that puzzling face

In my run, I literally had one Danjuro for 5*. That's it. Even Cecil's dependence on Armor Strike was with the 3++ event reward armor (so hitting for 7.7 rather than 9999). That plus Yuna being worthless. DPS basically came from a 4* BLM nuke every turn plus Armor Strike plus whatever chip damage Fran did with Breakdown/Full Break.

All of you fighting Vossler...is it weird that I don't bother with those harder stages unless I'm interested in the MC2? Fran is whatever, but Terra is cool. Half my actions in this game are dictated on how much I like a character – even if I don't use them (which is the case for Terra.)

Kenai

All of you fighting Vossler...is it weird that I don't bother with those harder stages unless I'm interested in the MC2? Fran is whatever, but Terra is cool. Half my actions in this game are dictated on how much I like a character – even if I don't use them (which is the case for Terra.)

It is quite common to only want to focus on the characters/games you like best. I love FF6 far more than the others (save maybe 11/14/Tactics which don't have much if anything yet) so I blow a significant amount of Mythril on those. It means I can basically use whoever I want from FF6 and I rather enjoy that.

Just don't go after specific relics to the point of whipping out the credit card or something, that's what'll get you into trouble.

B.K.

The Memory Crystal 2 levels are usually where I stop. I've never gone past one of them and I have never tried an Ultimate boss before. I never went past the final regular level until Memory Crystal 2s were introduced.

The Memory Crystal 2 levels are usually where I stop. I've never gone past one of them and I have never tried an Ultimate boss before. I never went past the final regular level until Memory Crystal 2s were introduced.

Same! I just don't care about the orbs or accessories all that much.

Kaiterra

Banned

You're playing this game in a much more healthy manner than many of the rest of us, from the sounds of it.

ZangBa

In my run, I literally had one Danjuro for 5*. That's it. Even Cecil's dependence on Armor Strike was with the 3++ event reward armor (so hitting for 7.7 rather than 9999). That plus Yuna being worthless. DPS basically came from a 4* BLM nuke every turn plus Armor Strike plus whatever chip damage Fran did with Breakdown/Full Break.

I tried the same thing, with my only 5* star being a shared SB dagger, my Armor Strike did almost 7k. At around 30%, I ran out of ability uses for everyone. I had Faris use Steal power and Full Break, Rinoa with Meteor and Ruinga, and Cloud with Tempo Flurry/Armor Break and Retaliate. My healer was always busy healing and Cecil was on dispel duty. Cloud hit like a wet noodle, so Rinoa basically did all the work until she ran out of ability uses.

Falk

that puzzling face
How were you dealing with the P1 guys?

Assuming AOEing them down, Vossler SHOULD be at the 160k mark or just below 80% when they die. 160k isn't too high of a target.

Yeah haven't beaten Vossler yet either, he's pretty tough. P1 is pretty simple but it gets nasty afterward.

I had some attempts where I simply ran out of abilities, so I made my party a bit more offensive but now he's killing me with the AoE attack (Cecil is immortal but Y'Shtola and Ashe get wasted by it).

Current setup i'm (failing) with:

Cecil (Draw Fire + Armor Strike)
Bartz (Steal Power + Tempo Flurry - is he even vulnerable to slow in the Ultimate version?)
Cloud (Bladeblitz + Lifesiphon)
Ashe (Ruinga + Dispel)
Y'Shtola (Curaja + Protectga)

RW Hand of the Emp.

Was thinking I could swap Bartz out for a support to add a bit more mitigation although I was hoping Steal Power would have helped more than it does.

Grzi

Rinoa BSSB out in Japan ;___;

She hasn't left my party ever since I started playing so I guess I'm here for another six months at least.

Falk

that puzzling face
Yeah haven't beaten Vossler yet either, he's pretty tough. P1 is pretty simple but it gets nasty afterward.

I had some attempts where I simply ran out of abilities, so I made my party a bit more offensive but now he's killing me with the AoE attack (Cecil is immortal but Y'Shtola and Ashe get wasted by it).

Current setup i'm (failing) with:

Cecil (Draw Fire + Armor Strike)
Bartz (Steal Power + Tempo Flurry - is he even vulnerable to slow in the Ultimate version?)
Cloud (Bladeblitz + Lifesiphon)
Ashe (Ruinga + Dispel)
Y'Shtola (Curaja + Protectga)

RW Hand of the Emp.

Was thinking I could swap Bartz out for a support to add a bit more mitigation although I was hoping Steal Power would have helped more than it does.

Assuming Yshtola has wall?

Nah he's not vulnerable to Slow, which makes the medal req kinda stupid since you need to bring it just to apply it to the adds in P1.

Assuming Yshtola has wall?

Nah he's not vulnerable to Slow, which makes the medal req kinda stupid since you need to bring it just to apply it to the adds in P1.

Yeah I got Wall. Was thinking I might just take a Wall RW also so I can have 100% uptime on it as that's what is screwing me over the most - there is a Window at the start of P2 where SS2 wears off but Y'Shtola doesn't have meter for another use.

Falk

that puzzling face
I just used the first shot just as the adds were dying in P1 to be honest. Paladin Cecil with a taunt and Y'shtola chain healing him (which also builds SB gauge) kept most attacks under control.

(SOL if they decide to AOE too much, otherwise it actually feeds into the strat of getting people's HP to ~1/2)

Noi

My only source for mitigation in my Vossler attempts was a single protectga on a Shared SB (which I put on Fran with Mako Might RM, it being the first thint she did), the rest was stacking Full Break / Power Breakdown on Vossler and hoping for the best.

Needless to say, I had some pretty short attempts before s/ling if both Vossler and a Guard decided to attack the same front row character before the Protectga SB went off. Lots of crying was involved.

ZangBa

How were you dealing with the P1 guys?

Assuming AOEing them down, Vossler SHOULD be at the 160k mark or just below 80% when they die. 160k isn't too high of a target.

Meteor, Ruinga and Tempo Flurry killed them off fast enough. I have 4 uses of Meteor and it does around 7k. By the time the adds are dead Vossler is pretty close to enraging. It's just near 30% or so I've rum out of ability uses. Cloud was doing like 2k a hit, with Full Break around 3k. Faris with Steal Power I don't remember how much damage, I think normal attacks were around 3k, 6k for Full Break. I have 4 uses of Full Break.

Jarekx

I had Stiener's Stock Break and Lightning's Crushing blow to deal with the adds. I just slowed one then focused on Vossler. Dropped him to 50% (pretty quick since he's actually on the low side of HP for an Ultimate), used Galufs Unyielding Fist and then used all my soulbreaks. He was left with a bit of HP but I had a couple charges so he dropped the next turn.

Trying to get all elites done before we hit Power orbfest weekend. I want all the stamina I can get for that one.

Who is y'all's favorite White Mage to use? I've been using Vanille since I needed her for the XIII event, but it looks like Yuna is getting her MC2 soon. Should I switch to her?

As far as healing goes, I have that all-team heal SB from Christmas, and I have Selphie's SB Trabia's Light.

Falk

that puzzling face
Meteor, Ruinga and Tempo Flurry killed them off fast enough. I have 4 uses of Meteor and it does around 7k. By the time the adds are dead Vossler is pretty close to enraging. It's just near 30% or so I've rum out of ability uses. Cloud was doing like 2k a hit, with Full Break around 3k. Faris with Steal Power I don't remember how much damage, I think normal attacks were around 3k, 6k for Full Break. I have 4 uses of Full Break.

Ah, forgot Tempo Flurry NEEDS to be used on the adds for the slow proc for medal. Makes it a wee bit harder.

(But the alternative, Slowga, is even less total damage)

Who is y'all's favorite White Mage to use? I've been using Vanille since I needed her for the XIII event, but it looks like Yuna is getting her MC2 soon. Should I switch to her?

As far as healing goes, I have that all-team heal SB from Christmas, and I have Selphie's SB Trabia's Light.
Cecil and Celes Lenna and Aerith as I find their default SB more useful than the others (I have no white mage unique SBs edit: I lied, I have Garnet's Ramuh but that almost doesn't count and maybe foolishly didn't pick up the candle). Aerith and Vanille are similar in that they have quite a wide skillset (offering Black, White and Summoning). Of course all but Lenna, Rosa and Panelo are maxed now so those three come along for EXP these days.

MicH

Pretty much whoever gets synergy for the realm I'm in. I have relics for Lenna, Mog, Aerith, Yuna and Y'shtola so I use those more often than the others if I need their SB

Noi

I pretty much use Lenna exclusively for harder content because I have her first heal stick (Full Revive SB), she's level 80 and her default SB is really good.

What I'd give for a real healer relic though, even if the +20% Holy damage is nice.

Negator

Scored Kain's lance in JP version. Still not sure if he is worth putting any effort into though. I assume an SSB would make him worth it?

Entropia

No One Remembers

Garnet, Lenna or Aerith.

I sadly have no unique soul break for a healer.

I keep thinking that eventually the power creep will require the entire team to have a BSSB relic to keep up with the most difficult content. It'll be a sad day when the draws don't fall in my favor and I have have none. I say this because I still don't have a single SSB, and all the old soul breaks I've acquired(the damaging ones)are pretty much worthless already.

Is this whole Life Siphon > SSB spam meta that the games Japanese version seems to favor absolutely necessary? When the mage meta phase happened I scoffed and thought it was over blown, however I quickly found out that it was indeed the favourable method for that time. I'm trying to plan my pulls much wiser using the power of seeing into the future of relics.

ZangBa

Ah, forgot Tempo Flurry NEEDS to be used on the adds for the slow proc for medal. Makes it a wee bit harder.

(But the alternative, Slowga, is even less total damage)

I can fit Slowga on my healer and not worry about the damage in phase 1 too much. I wouldn't lose much DSP since she's on heal spam duty the rest of the fight. What would you recommend in place of Tempo Flurry? I looked at some abilities with higher potency, but I wasn't too keen on spending a bunch of GPO on Pound just for the slight chance that it might be enough.

I run two white mages usually
Yshtola due to her wall with two if diaga shellga and a breakdown
Rs wm with curaja and protecga. If a rough battle I use aerith or selphie, I have their aoe heals or eiko I have her wind attack.

Vossler is hard... not sure i'll get him down. By far most difficult Ultimate for me (in fact its the only wall I've truly hit).

EDIT: Removed rant.

Balphon

Recently I've mostly been using Rosa, but I'll also bring Aerith or Y'shtola depending on what else I need the healer to be doing. I have AoE heal SBs for all three of them.

Falk

that puzzling face
Posting my Vossler team just for comparison

- RW was Lunatic High
- PCecil was 78 (no big deal)
- Fran was 75 (also no big deal)
- I actually did use Slow instead of Slowga because of a brainfart and had a S/L nightmare on P1 getting it to stick first turn (very important since misses waste Y'shtola's turn as far as building SB gauge went)
- Equipment is so-so for XII. One 5* - a Danjuro, but my 3++ game was pretty strong. Misc non-RS 5* armor.

In terms of strat:
- Legit was running dry, with I think 0 Armor Strike, 1 Waterja and no Breakdown/Full Break charges left when Vossler fell over
- Yuna was absolutely useless other than unloading underpowered Valefors in R1 and then timing dispels for Waterja to get through. Her AOE heal would have totally messed up my strat, so Mako Might was useless on her too. Spent 50%->0% mostly defending to not die to AOE. That slot could easily have gone to someone else for more damage abilities as long as shuffling around abilities to include Dispel somewhere else worked out - Beatrix with Bladeblitz? Maybe Steal Power/Tempo Flurry, and then Dispel on Y'shtola and then Full Break/Valefor on Tyro (lol)
- Y'shtola needed to be chain casting for SB gauge, e.g. someone else use the RW.
- First wall went off as adds died. PCecil controls damage in P1 and gets chain healed, pray for favorable AOE so less to do in setup
- Vossler at 50%, hold, use Rampart if need be, everyone's HP brought down to half while Y'shtola continues chain healing PCecil with Draw Fire. Then second wall, second LH happens and nuketown on Vossler. Going past 40% and 20% guarantees a few CT0s which Cecil can easily tank.

I dunno, this fight definitely is a physical defensive gearcheck, both on party and a tank focus. I guess it's also a little bit of a dps check considering how many abilities need to go into mitigation or otherwise useless medal abilities - didn't think of it that way prior.

I keep thinking that eventually the power creep will require the entire team to have a BSSB relic to keep up with the most difficult content. It'll be a sad day when the draws don't fall in my favor and I have have none. I say this because I still don't have a single SSB, and all the old soul breaks I've acquired(the damaging ones)are pretty much worthless already.

Is this whole Life Siphon > SSB spam meta that the games Japanese version seems to favor absolutely necessary? When the mage meta phase happened I scoffed and thought it was over blown, however I quickly found out that it was indeed the favourable method for that time. I'm trying to plan my pulls much wiser using the power of seeing into the future of relics.
I think it will be eventually as look at the recent Ultimate and Ultimate + defence stats. Combine the fact some of them run on a timer or are much like Vossler in that you don't want to hang around in weak phase and I don't see you breaking through those without BSSB/SSB. Another way of looking at it is the res stats exceed Edea's in Galbadia Garden, Part III [VIII] Elite (a boss notorious for being a huge wall to magic following a huge wall to physical) so that should tell you why mage meta became much harder to work with. Give it another 6 months and I wonder if defence will look like Seifer the previously mentioned dungeon. I do wonder if magic will get some new toys soon over in Japan though.

So much for my thoughts when Ultimate + came along of "Ultimate won't get harder".

On the other hand I believe you can buy 5* the accessories so all that is lost is major orbs from Ultimate and 6* orbs from Ultimate+ (but I can't imagine one is probably not up to facing the abyss bosses in this situation which is the source of the 6* skill memory).

Falk

that puzzling face
Remember that 6 months (or 5, really) is a long time.

Heck, 5 months ago we were still waiting for our first orbfest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom