• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy: Record Keeper |OT2| I HAVE NO MYTHRIL AND I MUST SHOUT

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZangBa

Necrophobe was definitely the easiest Ultimate for me so far, easier than Yunalesca even. It's kinda funny, because when I fought the +++ version awhile ago in a past event, I'm not sure if I was even able to finish it.

Jyrii

Banned
I still don't get the mechanics. I hit one, its HP bar appear, I immediately use sleep on that one, the sleep animation happens on a different one but then it turns out the real one might be on a different one again (I think what it happening is the fakes can still move until the real one has it's HP bar revealed again).

I might be wrong, but to me It seems that the real one changes places every attack. Me landing the sleep was pure luck.

Aww yeah, I did my free 1 relic pull for the Cid mission's and got a 5 star FFV sword. No soul break, but at least I finally have a good sword for that realm, my best weapons were daggers/axes.

Latest updates from me:

Thank you all for the RM recommendations! I snagged a bunch yesterday. Got Josef's on my first attempt, but I wish it was stronger. It really cuts down the damage you do.

Really not looking forward to completing this battle for the new MC2 but I've gotta level up ExDeath first.

SUPER stoked for the orb fest this weekend.

Double Hit's value comes in RetaMeta.

Jyrii

Banned
Hah mastered Necrophobe with just one S/L.

End was quite brutal though. His endless attacks vs my lack of hones.

I did absolutely horrible dmg in the end.

Orbfest confirmed to be wind white and lightning with a mat sequence as well (more mythril here or does it carry over your progress from two weeks ago?)

I'm not in immediate need of any of those orbs, I have currently on hand in major orb equivalent:
67.8 major whites
54.4 major lightnings
53.6 major winds

I roughly sketched out my needs for the following hones: flare, saints cross, theifs raid, full charge, Bahamut, holy. And believe I'll need something like:
74 major white
60 major lightning
126 major wind

To get all of the above skills that need these three orbs to r3, taking into account that r1 in most of these cases is acquired through events.

I do need a second life siphon created and taken to r4, but that isn't needed until more useful sbs.

Balphon

I still don't get the mechanics. I hit one, its HP bar appear, I immediately use sleep on that one, the sleep animation happens on a different one but then it turns out the real one might be on a different one again (I think what it happening is the fakes can still move until the real one has it's HP bar revealed again).

Only the real one has the HP bar, but the real one moves every time it takes damage. However, anything you target on it before it moves will still hit it, so if you can target sleep before the bar disappears you will still hit the real one in its new spot.

It's a pain, but it works.

Xetherion

Latest updates from me:

Thank you all for the RM recommendations! I snagged a bunch yesterday. Got Josef's on my first attempt, but I wish it was stronger. It really cuts down the damage you do.

It changes Attack from 1.0 x1 to .65 x2. .65 x2 is 1.3, so it's actually a 30% increase in damage you do. Unless you're talking about when you use abilities. But the point of it is really just throwing it on your WM for Reta Meta anyway.

Ugh complete on Airship Part 3. That's another FFX elite I'll have to redo sometime but I was after the stamina shard which I could still get.

I only bought one mage so Sinspawn Genais hung around forever and I had no reflect for taking care of the Core (btw, I remember being worried a certain Edea who had an attack that would eat damage medals but at least she started her onslaught after Seifer was KOd not halfway through...). I only won due to having a shared SB that could revive a key party member. All set for a stamina refresh on the orbfest...unless they made the EXP suck this time...

Only the real one has the HP bar, but the real one moves every time it takes damage. However, anything you target on it before it moves will still hit it, so if you can target sleep before the bar disappears you will still hit the real one in its new spot.

It's a pain, but it works.
I get that but why is it that when I attack where the sleep animation hit, it takes no damage and continues to take no damage until I hit the random spot it is on and it's HP bar chooses to show up? Maybe it is that I am targeting after the sleep animation has taken place but it's weird as at that point it shouldn't even be able to move unless it decides to move before knowing if the attack succeeds or not...

Balphon

I get that but why is it that when I attack where the sleep animation hit, it takes no damage and continues to take no damage until I hit the random spot it is on and it's HP bar chooses to show up? Maybe it is that I am targeting after the sleep animation has taken place but it's weird as at that point it shouldn't even be able to move unless it decides to move before knowing if the attack succeeds or not...

Yeah, it seems to randomly not work like it's supposed to it at least not appear to work like it's supposed to. Like I said, it sucks.

Noi

Still gonna drop 5-10 mythril on stamina refreshes during this orbfest. I'll take all those backup orbs over the two 3* relics I would have inevitably drawn.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
It is a long range physical attack which I think is what makes it seem really strong.

I had Faris with Steal Power and the AoE Magic Break dance (this also means I don't have to worry about blind here). In the Necro part of the battle alternating between those two was pretty much all she did. I think my damage from vacuum wave was about 1100 after steal power and protectga.

I was using a carbuncle based method and main change would be put Protectga on your white mage (who is bringing diaga) and shellga on your sage as this should help with spell uses as I was having R4 ajas run out of uses (Diaga has 2 more uses).

Making all those R4 ajas has completely bankcrupted me on GBO.

I chose to keep the AoE magic at home as I was really worried about the counters the barriers can do.

I noticed that I don't have enough GBOs to hone 3 different ja spells effectively, so I did a variation of this and made Tyro my dancer/thief so that I could continually build SG gauge while I did the standard retameta. No master, but I don't care. lol

It's insane though. SG+Protectga+Shellga+Steal Power+Hate Dance and his attacks still hurt. Yeesh.

hesho

go figure.. i found necro to be annoying as hell! I thought rubicante was way easier then him because necro kept on spamming vacuum wave like.. religiously.

ZangBa

go figure.. i found necro to be annoying as hell! I thought rubicante was way easier then him because necro kept on spamming vacuum wave like.. religiously.

Yeah, that's definitely his most devastating attack. In my case I had Vanille's AoE heal + protect, coupled with Bartz using Steal Power/Blizzara Strike and Faris with Full Break and SG RW. It still hurt like hell.

greyshark

Mastered the Ultimate - man his Very Weak phase hurt. With Devotion on my Summoner, 3 shots of Valefor + 3 shots of Ruinga from Vivi took out his barriers. Being able to save my -ja uses for Necrophobe really helped - I didn't have any of them above R3.

His very weak phase is so strong I focused all my resources on taking him out as quickly as possible - I didn't even bother bringing support and instead had 3 BLM's, 1 SUM, and 1 WHM. Even with a native Medica I couldn't really survive his very weak phase for long - SG + Shellga and I was still getting Firaja'd for 1500 (AoE was closer to 1000). But my DPS was strong enough to take him out in 2 rounds once he hit Very Weak.

In hindsight I wonder if Carbuncle would have been a better strategy - eliminating all single target magic sounds really tempting, but I don't see how that doesn't result in a S/L fest hoping you don't get hit with too many AoE. Maybe I'll try it again after orbfest just to see what would happen.

Mastered the Ultimate - man his Very Weak phase hurt. With Devotion on my Summoner, 3 shots of Valefor + 3 shots of Ruinga from Vivi took out his barriers. Being able to save my -ja uses for Necrophobe really helped - I didn't have any of them above R3.

His very weak phase is so strong I focused all my resources on taking him out as quickly as possible - I didn't even bother bringing support and instead had 3 BLM's, 1 SUM, and 1 WHM. Even with a native Medica I couldn't really survive his very weak phase for long - SG + Shellga and I was still getting Firaja'd for 1500 (AoE was closer to 1000). But my DPS was strong enough to take him out in 2 rounds once he hit Very Weak.

In hindsight I wonder if Carbuncle would have been a better strategy - eliminating all single target magic sounds really tempting, but I don't see how that doesn't result in a S/L fest hoping you don't get hit with too many AoE. Maybe I'll try it again after orbfest just to see what would happen.

Well I mean, you're probably going to be S/Ling a lot if you eat a fuck ton of AoE anyway

greyshark

Well I mean, you're probably going to be S/Ling a lot if you eat a fuck ton of AoE anyway

Well sure, but with Carbuncle you eliminate the ability to heal your party at all outside of Medica - I'd think your tolerance for AoE goes way down in that case. At least if the AoE's are spaced out you can get your party back on its feet in the meantime w/o Reflect.

Negator

Can someone explain what NaT means? I see that thrown around all the time but I can't find an explanation. What does it stand for?

The majority of Necrophobe's attacks will bypass reflect (because they're either physical, NAT, or AoE).
Getting his HP down to increase the chance of single target magic is real essential here. Bit even then the very weak phase has a whole 45% chance of doing single target reflectable magic.

In terms of only using RW for healing both my attempts were one during the barriers (things happen; someone eats a few too many flare/holy, the barriers decide to spam AoE today) and the other about 3 attacks in vs Necrophobe as the first two attacks will make subsequent damage lethal due to always being sap and hurricane.

As scary as it sounds he is hopefully taking at least 40k damage a turn at that point so his 200k HP can drop pretty quickly. Still I can see how the RNG can refuse to cooperate here.

Can someone explain what NaT means? I see that thrown around all the time but I can't find an explanation. What does it stand for?
As typing goes it is neither physical nor magic so retaliate and reflect can't be used to bypass them. However in terms of damage it can be based off a users attack or magic stat. It can also have elements associated with it.

I'm thinking it stands for Natural/Neutral Attack Type. I think they NAT attacks can still be mitigated, but I'm not 100% sure on that one. I just know that they bypass Retaliate and Reflect, as Starwolf said.

We had the Upgrade Mats in the last weekend Orbfest too, right? If so then I'm pleasantly surprised we are getting brand new clear rewards for them. \o/

With that same idea, I went with Runic for my kill:
http://i.imgur.com/u9K2LZJl.png

setup, went with RW Sazh:
http://imgur.com/7KMyRfQ

I feel like I am having lousy luck on this Orb Dungeon.

Six refills, only one Major Orb (and a Lightning, possibly the least useful one). My Double EXP Materia seems to trigger at half the rate it should and when it does it's a no cactus run. And the Greater Orb drop rate seems to simply be on par with a regular Daily Dungeon.

Still worth it, I guess.

Noi

I'm 5:5 on Gigantuars : Major Light Orbs so far. I'm already convinced those are the only ones that actually drop.

Feeling so dumb right now...I just learned that even if your characters reach their level cap, they eat up EXP points. I've been taking 4 lvl 80 characters and one under-leveled character, thinking he was getting all the experience points.

So many months, weeks, days and hours wasted T_T

4 mythril spent
2 major whites
2 major winds
1 major lightning

Not too shabby

Goal is to cap out the rest of my 80 brigade, I'm down to a team consisting of terra Fran and galuf along with ex death and Kefka. Should wrap up galuf tomorrow I think,

MicH

Do major white orbs have any use outside of Holy?
I believe they're used in Saint Cross which is a 5* Knight ability that does holy damage and gives the user esuna and regen, if I remember correctly

EDIT: I was wrong. Major white orbs are not used in Saint Cross (MHO are, though). They're used in Break Fever (Dancer ability) and Arise(WHM ability)

It does feel like white is more likely. I wonder if the guaranteed orbs are done by completely mucking up the drop tables. Say it is a probability tree where white is the first choice and as such it biases heavily toward white. I say heavily as I do see non-white reports out there.

Well, it sounds like a global thing to do. The mini cactuars giving so much EXP also feels the same (it's like they inputted the EXP thinking it was per mob rather per monster)...not to mention the farcical + difficulty EXP for festive fantasy.

c-murph

It does feel like white is more likely. I wonder if the guaranteed orbs are done by completely mucking up the drop tables. Say it is a probability tree where white is the first choice and as such it biases heavily toward white. I say heavily as I do see non-white reports out there.

Well, it sounds like a global thing to do. The mini cactuars giving so much EXP also feels the same (it's like they inputted the EXP thinking it was per mob rather per monster)...not to mention the farcical + difficulty EXP for festive fantasy.

Literally, Just got a Major Wind Orb from the Gigantaur in final round of third event in (+).

LucaMac

Running orb dungeon solo to maximise the exp materia is draining...my party of physicals can auto battle the stamina away without me paying attention, but solo it has to be pure concentration and s/l until you get the right atb bar and that's only with summoners/black mages who can aoe them all. Currently running Arc solo and gone from 50 to 62 on one stamina bar. Got two experts in between due to bad timing but the exp materia proc'd a few times to compensate.

It bothers me that I'll probably go full party for my remaining sub 65 physicals knowing how much exp is going to waste when the materia procs. Apart from Baltier and Faris who I finished off (steal power + bladeblitz) I dont think the others are manageable...bar maybe Cyan as I can just throw up retaliate.

It bothers me that I'll probably go full party for my remaining sub 65 physicals knowing how much exp is going to waste when the materia procs. Apart from Baltier and Faris who I finished off (steal power + bladeblitz) I dont think the others are manageable...bar maybe Cyan as I can just throw up retaliate.

Are you saying the EXP record materia doesn't actually give 200% more when running with a full party?

(Of course it wouldn't give 200% to every character. Just the one with it equipped of course)

Noi

Are you saying the EXP record materia doesn't actually give 200% more when running with a full party?

It does, but remember that it only applies to the person with the materia equipped. So It's still 200% / the amount of people in your party, versus having all of the experience multiplied.

Personally, I've just done duos rather than solo runs. I can put a haste materia on my nuker and its significantly less stressful and still great exp gain.

It gives 200% of their cut (which btw overwrites a 150% cut RS gives) and their cut will be smaller for having more party members.

Eventually there are more characters with this RM. Currently the difference between 3 party members and 5 party members isn't much in the grand scheme of things (taking into account activation rates, something 3%, 4%, 5% for 5,4 and 3 respectively), 1 or 2 is when things get larger big (10% and 20%). I personally run parties of 4 right now as that is convenient for me.

Cid yes, the rub is you can't unlock his memory crystal. Get him ff7 ultimate weapon classic.

But you're in luck partially, both did and his crystal are in the ac event scheduled for next week, feb27, presumably before the next orb weekend.

c-murph

Cid yes, the rub is you can't unlock his memory crystal. Get him ff7 ultimate weapon classic.

But you're in luck partially, both did and his crystal are in the ac event scheduled for next week, feb27, presumably before the next orb weekend.

Oh awesome! I have time to unlock him and level him up! Thanks for the info man!

Running orb dungeon solo to maximise the exp materia is draining...my party of physicals can auto battle the stamina away without me paying attention, but solo it has to be pure concentration and s/l until you get the right atb bar and that's only with summoners/black mages who can aoe them all. Currently running Arc solo and gone from 50 to 62 on one stamina bar. Got two experts in between due to bad timing but the exp materia proc'd a few times to compensate.

You aren't gaining anything significant by doing it this way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom