• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy: Record Keeper |OT2| I HAVE NO MYTHRIL AND I MUST SHOUT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hahaha yeah was gonna say, one thing Lucky Draw does for sure is bring out funny reactions from people:

JOSEF'S FIANT GLOVES AGAIN?! WHY?!

THAT'S THEVORST 5*

AqSSdAHl.jpg

WHY

SO CLOSE TO 0/44

GOD

WHY

ASJDFKAJSDKFAKJSDFKAJSKFDASKLDFJALKSDFJLKASJDKF

uninstalling

Grzi

Yeah, I knew about the draws that come with the Nightmare dungeons but I had no idea they can appear unrelated to them. Cool.

Noi

I'm at 0/22 for the two Lucky Draws I've been around for (October one and black friday). Looking forward to bucking the trend.

Dragner

Im actually not going to do the lucky draws, call me crazy but I preffer to do 1 or 2 more pulls on SSB Fest. Lucky banners have all the relics, and there is A LOT of outdated ones and I have already a good amount of unique SBs. Just need a quality step and trinity, my best chances are on SSB Fest.

MrDaravon

Wait, so when are Lucky Draws happening exactly? I'm not seeing any confirmation of this anywhere or a timeframe unless I'm missing it.

Wait, so when are Lucky Draws happening exactly? I'm not seeing any confirmation of this anywhere or a timeframe unless I'm missing it.
There isn't any confirmation or dates for Global, but Japan got 3 of them (one a day from 9/22-9/24), just days before their Anniversary & SSSSB Fest (9/25). They also got 25 Mythril when it started and 50 more on the Anniversary itself. We should only be so lucky to receive the same.

WarAdept

I've just watched a dissapointing Nintendo Direct. ARE YOU GOING TO DISSAPOINT ME FURTHER RECORD KEEPER BY NOT HAVING SOMETHING COOL IN 1HR?!

Czarcasm

Oh god, first banner I pulled Fusion Sword for 100 gems, second banner I pulled Organics (VII) for 100 gems.

I now have all three three out of four of Cloud's relics

Edit: I forgot that Hardedge was even a thing

Balphon

I really don't want to bother with honing Flame Blossom and Mirror of Equity for this ultimate.

The whole fight seems like such a pain.

Balphon

Yeesh, this ultimate sucks with no wall and no damaging SBs.

I might be able to do it if I can figure a good way to stagger wall RWs.

Noi

I did a #yolo single pull after I got a Thornlet from my gem pull.

I'm suddenly feeling really really bitter that we didn't get a certain MC2 in the bonus battles just now.

8MnCTHr.jpg

Noi

You also only need to kill 6 since the last two "die" when you kill sin himself

He means that you can get partial credit, that is one or two medals instead of 3. Actually makes things a bit easier if I can try to burn him down faster.

Was a mistake bringing Zack. Should have brought Bartz. 60 stamina wasted

I brought Zack, but only cause I have his fist. Didn't do too well without a Wall though, Bahamut's electric AoE p much oneshot any character that wasn't him or Sephiroth.

Negator

I brought Zack, but only cause I have his fist. Didn't do too well without a Wall though, Bahamut's electric AoE p much oneshot any character that wasn't him or Sephiroth.

None of my characters have the insane burst needed to kill the stupid sphere thing. Bartz would probably destroy it.

Valus

Finished the event but meh, rewards were garbage now that I know what they were supposed to be. Even Cloud's goggles are meh.

I finished but overall it took:

50 mithril to pull Platinum Fist (thank god)
Enough orbs to hone Fire Blossom R3, Life Siphon R3, and Kick R5
An already acquired Blade Beam (MVP)

I don't think doing a mix of magic and physical made sense for me especially after getting my first boostga. Kick was doing the same amount of damage as Meteor. Unfortunately, I think I put myself in the red for this event :(

Falk

that puzzling face
So Falk:

- has native wall, native AOE heal, went for Boon RW because yay shell
- no offensive SSBs
- A full stack of native VII 5*s armor
- only one native 5* weapon (that isn't Buster Sword)
- Refuses to bring Cloud or Zack to use that Buster sword
- Stacks Full Break, Magic Breakdown instead of more DPS

tl;dr already had plenty of defense, stacked even more defense i.e. asking for it, ran out of abilities at the end rofl

On the bright side I only went below 1/2 hp once!

RL40VZgl.jpg

Would have been easier going with Fenrir Drive and Aerith instead of Yuna (Planet Protector instead of AOE heal) and just nuking everything with the partial medals from dogs being a thing.

Mastered the Ultimate with this team.

12439381_10154602229053989_4744572665738582033_n.jpg

Honestly without Cloud and Zacks new relic attacks (motor cycle and air ship) I wouldn't have come close to beating it. Would've had to make an entirely different strat. I had to make sure I kept healing with Ysh and Sazh to build their bar get a second SS2 and Boon off half way through the fight too. Lost 2 medals on damage and 1 on actions. I felt AOE attacks were key for this battle.

Balphon

Managed to beat Bahamut relatively handily, but only got expert despite killing enough Creepers due to losing two action medals.

Fight leaves me with a bit of a blah feeling. Seems like a DPS check where my lack of DPS is largely due to factors outside my control.

May run it again later to try and get those major orbs, but I really don't think it's worth worth the effort since I'd probably just lose the extra action medal again.

Balphon

This particular boss may be a bit of an aberration since the mechanics require you to either chew through an extra 170k boss HP and/or eat multiple giant magic attacks, to say nothing of the extra 200k in Creeper HP if you're going for mastery.

Doesn't leave me with warm fuzzy feelings about the future, though.

MicH

Mastered the ultimate! That was pretty fun. PP + Blade Beam + Crushing Blow + Lifesiphon is just damn good. Brought Yuna along too since I have her AoE heal and just had her spam summons

firehawk12

Subete no aware
This particular boss may be a bit of an aberration since the mechanics require you to either chew through an extra 170k boss HP and/or eat multiple giant magic attacks, to say nothing of the extra 200k in Creeper HP if you're going for mastery.

Doesn't leave me with warm fuzzy feelings about the future, though.
I honestly wonder if they expect people to have high honed AoE spells for future bosses or spend money getting the BSSBs like the Cloud one, particularly if future bosses are going to have multiple targets.

They give you that new fire AoE physical thing, but it's really not in your interest to hone that because you ultimately want non-elemental damage abilities.

Falk

that puzzling face
I mean ultimately (no pun intended) the current locus is towards bosses with 1500 DEF/RES, so obviously offensive power creep is a thing.

In terms of pure relative numbers though, I don't feel like the overlap between being able to clear content and a completely average contemporary* pull has changed that much. Back during some of the harder Elites (before bonus battles even) you 'had to' draw a 5* RS melee weapon and if you did, you had a way easier time. This was true of Parade Float elite (lol). This was true of Brynhildr and the infamous "oh my god didn't pull Lightning's sword, ragequit" era. Now this kinda translates to pulling a couple of offensive BSBs. Is content harder if you don't? Definitely so. Is it unbeatable? Not by a long shot, again unless you're very unlucky. (And no, "pulled Red XIII's SSB instead of Fusion Sword sadfase" doesn't count)

*This term is important, because the gear power creep is following along behind the boss difficulty. It doesn't matter if it was during Brynhildr ++ or Bahamut SIN or FFX-2 or the Ultimate+s in future - the 'average pull' seems to be very deliberately trailing along with endgame content. This is how FFRK has been monetized all this while and I don't see it changing.

There actually would be no point to playing the game if the most powerful thing in 6 month's time is still Cloud's BSSB.

I mean ultimately (no pun intended) the current locus is towards bosses with 1500 DEF/RES, so obviously offensive power creep is a thing.

In terms of pure relative numbers though, I don't feel like the overlap between being able to clear content and a completely average contemporary* pull has changed that much. Back during some of the harder Elites (before bonus battles even) you 'had to' draw a 5* RS melee weapon and if you did, you had a way easier time. This was true of Parade Float elite (lol). This was true of Brynhildr and the infamous "oh my god didn't pull Lightning's sword, ragequit" era. Now this kinda translates to pulling a couple of offensive BSBs. Is content harder if you don't? Definitely so. Is it unbeatable? Not by a long shot, again unless you're very unlucky. (And no, "pulled Red XIII's SSB instead of Fusion Sword sadfase" doesn't count)

*This term is important, because the gear power creep is following along behind the boss difficulty. It doesn't matter if it was during Brynhildr ++ or Bahamut SIN or FFX-2 or the Ultimate+s in future - the 'average pull' seems to be very deliberately trailing along with endgame content. This is how FFRK has been monetized all this while and I don't see it changing.

There actually would be no point to playing the game if the most powerful thing in 6 month's time is still Cloud's BSSB.

I think the craziest thing to me at least, is that the more powerful gear is ONLY coming in the form of relic draws. So where as the game in the first year was possible to master with well honed skills and gear acquired by other means, this second year looks like a completely new ball game. I spent 400 mythril on the current Cloud banner, which took months and months to save up for. Going forward I can't see myself keeping up with the relic draw rate unless I start spending real money to up my odds of getting the power creep gear. The gear that's only accessible through relic draws looks damn near mandatory when I glance at what the Japanese game is dealing with. I'm going to REALLY hope I luck out on lucky draw banners because 25 mythril each time seems a lot safer than burning 50 with the same odds. This second year of ffrk is going to be interesting.

Thinking ahead. Am I correct in thinking that DU, events up to +++ should remain fairly static in terms of difficulty? That is kind of disappointing for people who want new challenges that can be reasonably accomplished without needing the RNG on their side (in terms of getting the relics in the first place) which is basically the situation I am in right now.

I've enjoyed the ultimates I've been able to beat because they feel like I am one turn away from losing but victory is in sight but this one...I'll need convincing that starting isn't a waste of time. I'd continue to enjoy trying ultimates if they cost less stamina like Nightmare and Ultimate+ do but at 60 stamina, forget it.

Falk

that puzzling face

Hahahaha, totally slipped my mind that you actually got that too. Was referring to a certain reddit thread.

I think the craziest thing to me at least, is that the more powerful gear is ONLY coming in the form of relic draws. So where as the game in the first year was possible to master with well honed skills and gear acquired by other means, this second year looks like a completely new ball game. I spent 400 mythril on the current Cloud banner, which took months and months to save up for. Going forward I can't see myself keeping up with the relic draw rate unless I start spending real money to up my odds of getting the power creep gear. The gear that's only accessible through relic draws looks damn near mandatory when I glance at what the Japanese game is dealing with. I'm going to REALLY hope I luck out on lucky draw banners because 25 mythril each time seems a lot safer than burning 50 with the same odds. This second year of ffrk is going to be interesting.

Well, two counterpoints:
1) Hones are still just about as important. A lot of the good 5* skills complement lifesiphon spamming, and in some cases actually do more than the BSSB autoattacks (e.g. Saint's Cross is straight out better than Cloud's Whirl Slash, the Barrage replacement is on par with a lot of the single target BSSB moves) This isn't taking into account the stat buffs that blowing a BSSB gives, which I feel is the *real* advantage, whereas the damage output from the SB itself and the autoattack skills can be approximated with 5*s.

2) Other than the baseline of 3++ event reward gear, which already did fall off, what I meant with my post is, let's just say we make a case for 3 11-pulls, and we take some of the objectively hardest content contemporary to those pulls (I'll use the examples from my post):

- Rinoa's event Parade Float. 5*s were 10%, you had a far easier time if you got Valkyrie or Betrayal Sword. (For the record, I didn't, and didn't actually bother)

- Brynhildr. 5*s were 10%, you had a far easier time if you pulled Blitz Sword or Boon. (For the record, I didn't)

- Bahamut SIN, 5*s are 13%, you can pull a BSSB, an SSB at 1% each, you had a far easier time if you pulled Fusion Sword. (For the record, I didn't)

- (taking a current endgame JP example) Nova Dragon, 5*s are 13% (i believe), there are multiple SSBs per banner. You have a far easier time with an RS BSSB. (soon to be multiple per realm available in the pools) (For the record, I probably won't lol)

In each case, again assuming 3 11 pulls in recent history, (and I fully admit I'm pulling these numbers out of ass just to make a relativity point about how the carrot on a stick tends to be a certain spitting-distance from a completely average pull) you could make the case for the top 10% having a far easier time, and the bottom 10% struggling, and some low percentage outright being insurmountable.

Of course, it's not so clear cut as "pull some RS gear" because there's also tentpole relics like SG at the start of the game, to Boon/LH, to a short-lived Lulu's Focus and Planet Protector, to the upcoming Yell, etc. and it's a completely valid point that someone without any of the Trinity is going to have far less wiggle room than someone with all three.

The thing about this power creep design is that even if you have an unlucky streak somewhere and get completely shafted over to the point where you really can't beat content, if you keep saving Mythril to the point you can pull again, your 'chances' are, by all reasonable measure 'reset' simply due to power creep within the banners themselves, and endgame content being tuned around contemporary banners and the average gear level then. (I believe you experienced this with OWA banner, actually, as an aside. All jokes aside, that's also what I experienced with the 1/44 streak, which I then subsequently caught up on just by averaging out)

And again, I'm not saying there isn't any difference. My main points are - the power creep is balanced out by the average gear level coming up alongside it, and that content honestly can be cleared with a much lower average than what you see in videos. (This, of course, does take a lot more patience and/or a heightened sensitivity to RNG, etc)

I'm willing to play ball and start messing with low-gear runs with 1-stamina Ultimate+s. That's really why I'm playing FFRK anyway - it's as much a puzzle game as it is a nostalgia trip for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom