• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy: Record Keeper |OT2| I HAVE NO MYTHRIL AND I MUST SHOUT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Considering forgoing the SSB banners except for maybe 100 gem pulls and an x11 on #5 to save the rest for FFT. Should leave me with 300-400 mythril for FFT. This can only end in tears.

How much are people considering dumping into orbfest refreshes? I'm leaning towards about 50 mythril on Power/Wind/NE at the moment. Still kind of tempted to farm summon orbs for their rarity, but I've stopped using offensive mages since the first set of lucky banners so it seems especially wasteful for how I play now.

MrDaravon

150 Stamina GET. Honestly considered tapping out in the 120-140 range, that grind is real but I made it!

As an aside what are in general considered the best/most in-demand orbs? I've only got Full Break at r1 and none of the endgame Summons although I could probably make one or two if needed. I know it's gonna vary for everyone but are there any particular standouts? At the point where I need to decide if I want to drop any mythril on refreshes for orbfest.

WarAdept

As an aside what are in general considered the best/most in-demand orbs?

Check this link and scroll down to page 14 to give yourself a heads up in what you'd like to invest in.

Power Orb

Important upcoming abilities:
  • Full Break
  • Bloody Cross
  • Chain Starter
  • Full Charge
  • and numerous amounts of important 4* abilities

Wind Orb

• Sky Grinder
  • Thief's Raid
  • Saint Cross
  • Tornado Strike
  • Chain Starter
  • Full Charge

Holy might be a problem as well if you want to invest in Saint's Cross (and you should). Problem is, Holy is usually paired with undesired orbs, which makes it a pain to manage resources to.

MrDaravon

Check this link and scroll down to page 14 to give yourself a heads up in what you'd like to invest in.

Power Orb

• Full Break
  • Bloody Cross
  • Chain Starter
  • Full Charge
  • and numerous amounts of important 4* abilities

Wind Orb

• Sky Grinder
  • Thief's Raid
  • Saint Cross
  • Tornado Strike
  • Chain Starter
  • Full Charge

Holy might be a problem as well if you want to invest in Saint's Cross (and you should). Problem is, Holy is usually paired with undesired orbs, which makes it a pain to manage resources to.

Hmmm okay. I just looked and with orb converted all the way up I would have:

Major Power Orbs: 22
Major White Orbs: 23
Major Black Orbs: 25
Major Summon Orbs: 15
Major Non-Elemental Orbs: 19
Major Fire Orbs: 16
Major Ice Orbs: 6
Major Lightning Orbs: 11
Major Earth Orbs: 23
Major Wind Orbs: 23
Major Holy Orbs: 10
Major Dark Orbs: 19

For non-summon stuff I've got Full Break at r1, already have a Ruinga/Curaja/Diaga at r5, my elemental -jas are all at r3 which seems sufficient for now and am generally not lacking otherwise. For summons all I have is Valefor at r1 and that's it, I haven't fucked with summons at all yet. I also have no idea why my Ice Orbs are so low, I haven't done any daily orb dungeon grinding in the slightest since I've just been catching up on dungeons this whole time for Stamina so that just seems really weird.

Outside of your recommendations above should I specifically look at getting orbs for any summons, and if so what? I plan on fully min/maxing my Stamina across the entire orbfest to the best of my ability, at this point I'm just pondering whether or not it's gonna be worth it for me at this point do spend mythril on refreshes. Counting the mythril we'll get from the orbfest and events overlapping etc (but not the "free" mythril for lucky draws) I should wind up with somewhere around 325 or so mythril by the end of SSB fest, and right now I'm honestly only looking at dropping probably 150-175 at the most across those 5 banners. Then ideally I'd like to save for 2 11-pulls on FFT and as much as possible for pulls on Relm's 1st banner which has Celes' Excalibur and Terra's Maduin's Horn (both of which I really want). So I've got some mythril but it's gonna be kinda tight so have to make tough choices.

I do see Power & Wind are on the same phase so that's a bonus there and probably where I'd want to dedicate any mythril I suppose? If I've got the money I might consider doing gem pulls on the Lucky Draws and save that mythril but I'm not sure if that'll be an option for me yet or not.

WarAdept

Summon orbs become less frequent in the upcoming events unfortunately. As for crafting summons, keep in mind that Bahamut is very costly and is only really useable around Rank 3+.

It costs more Orbs to craft Bahamut Rank 1 than it is to craft Rank 5 of Valefor/Maduin.

If you're going for the Summon route, Valeduin (high rank Valefor + Maduin) is the best and most efficient thing to do for your summoner.

Kouriozan

Hall of Rites in 24 hours.
Oh joy, finally, Tyro/Cloud will be super happy to not be stuck at 65 anymore.
Will be fun when Edward MC1 won't be there :p

100 gems

Vivi's SSB!

Now I do have a dilemma, do I combine my two oaken rods into an oaken rod + or do I keep them separate for triple mage nuking in FFIX?

MrDaravon

Summon orbs become less frequent in the upcoming events unfortunately. As for crafting summons, keep in mind that Bahamut is very costly and is only really useable around Rank 3+.

It costs more Orbs to craft Bahamut Rank 1 than it is to craft Rank 5 of Valefor/Maduin.

If you're going for the Summon route, Valeduin (high rank Valefor + Maduin) is the best and most efficient thing to do for your summoner.

To what end exactly do people use Summons for though? Honest question. When I was starting last year some people were recommending Valefor for spamming through the daily dungeons, but I can already do that with Ruinga. I mean I'm running Tyro right now only because of his support 5* and him having SG so I could in theory have him run summons, but his stats are so shit even at 80 that I don't know it would be worth the massive investment to get summons up to the higher ranks? Not sure what the Summon endgame/goal is.

WarAdept

100 gems

Vivi's SSB!

Now I do have a dilemma, do I combine my two oaken rods into an oaken rod + or do I keep them separate for triple mage nuking in FFIX?

Damn I'm jealous. I'd keep the 2 Oak Staff's and triple Mage. Unless you're swimming in IX gear (which most people aren't, considering how little events we've had and how DeNA likes to fucking throw Mithril Daggers at us as our event equipment).

To what end exactly do people use Summons for though? Honest question. When I was starting last year some people were recommending Valefor for spamming through the daily dungeons, but I can already do that with Ruinga. I mean I'm running Tyro right now only because of his support 5* and him having SG so I could in theory have him run summons, but his stats are so shit even at 80 that I don't know it would be worth the massive investment to get summons up to the higher ranks? Not sure what the Summon endgame/goal is.

It's primarily for Mage Meta/supplimentary AoE damage/Abyss Summon dungeon. Ruinga is more than enough for dailies and dungeons, but for the hardest of content, it's not going to cut it. Summons with their high multipliers (and with the buff to making the most important ones hit twice) allow people to keep up with the ever ridiculous RES increases that bosses have during now and 6 months in time.

Is it worth it? If you really need that push for more AoE damage, go for it. If you're super dedicated towards Mage Meta? Sure. Otherwise, nope.

Damn I'm jealous. I'd keep the 2 Oak Staff's and triple Mage. Unless you're swimming in IX gear (which most people aren't, considering how little events we've had and how DeNA likes to fucking throw Mithril Daggers at us as our event equipment).

It's primarily for Mage Meta/supplimentary AoE damage/Abyss Summon dungeon. Ruinga is more than enough for dailies and dungeons, but for the hardest of content, it's not going to cut it. Summons with their high multipliers (and with the buff to making the most important ones hit twice) allow people to keep up with the ever ridiculous RES increases that bosses have during now and 6 months in time.

Is it worth it? If you really need that push for more AoE damage, go for it. If you're super dedicated towards Mage Meta? Sure. Otherwise, nope.

My FFIX gear is kinda bonkers

Steiner's defender sword
Beatrix's save the queen
5 star claw weapon
2x vivi oaken staf
Vivi's ssb rod
Eiko's tiara

WarAdept

My FFIX gear is kinda bonkers

Steiner's defender sword
Beatrix's save the queen
5 star claw weapon
2x vivi oaken staf
Vivi's ssb rod
Eiko's tiara

Jesus. I could go either way in this scenario. The idea of blasting someone with Vivi, Dagger and Eiko (or insert favourite mage here) sounds super fun, but if you don't stack Mages much, combine away!

EDIT: Someone on Reddit just pulled 5 Butterfly Swords with only a x11 and 2 x3 pulls (amongst other 5*s). I would kill for that synergy.

MrDaravon

Good to know. I'm not at all super dedicated to Mage Meta or run it really (in part because I have all of two native 5* rods across the board), but obviously if that's going to be a thing for endgame content I'll need to get there eventually. Still will min/max Stamina as much as possible during Orbfest but I don't think I'll spend any mythril on refreshes there. Leaning towards maybe spending a bit during the 2nd (?) phase though since it'll be Wind AND Power.

WarAdept

Leaning towards maybe spending a bit during the 2nd (?) phase though since it'll be Wind AND Power.

Most people will. Power is just too universally used to not spend it on refreshes. You can make all the pulls in the world and get 5*, but it'll be useless if you're hones aren't on point. Budgeting around 20ish Mithril or so on Power/Wind Orbfest.

MrDaravon

Most people will. Power is just too universally used to not spend it on refreshes. You can make all the pulls in the world and get 5*, but it'll be useless if you're hones aren't on point. Budgeting around 20ish Mithril or so on Power/Wind Orbfest.

Yeah, I'm really gonna need to look into those other (new) abilities you listed since I'm not familiar with those other than Full Break and maybe try to plan out what I want to get to.

Also looking super forward to all of this since it sounds like we might be getting the Orbfest EXP buff again which would be fucking awesome, I have 45 non-core characters at level 1 >_>

I'll have at least 450 mythril for this. I have no SSBs yet, I'm thinking of waiting for banner 5 and blowing most of it there. Maybe do a 3-pull each on the others.

Yeah, at this point I'm thinking probably just a 3 pull (maybe two) on the first banner, 100 gems only on banners 2 and 3 (primarily since Maduin's Horn will be in a better banner for me personally in a month or so), and one or possibly two 11-pulls on banner 5 (I already have SG).

Banner 4 is the only one I'm torn on since I'd really like some of the relics on it but I already have 3 of the ones on there. Does anyone have any comments on PCecil's Lustrous Sword? That relic in particular on that banner is what is kind of pushing me towards doing maybe an 11-pull as opposed to otherwise completely ignoring that banner. I haven't touched him but people seem to swear by him being a good character? I also would like Valiant Knife and Mace of Zeus, but I already have Lamia's Flute, Drill and Asura's Rod that are also on that banner and I just know I'm gonna get duplicates instead :/

Edit: Also someone on reddit break down the math on how many mythril we are likely to get between now and banner 5, looks like anywhere between 70 and 84 not counting DU's, where you are in the daily login bonus schedule, and the Quiz/Egg rewards. This is good to know, gives me a bit more of a buffer than I had thought.

https://www.reddit.com/r/FFRecordKeeper/comments/4aiz4n/71_mythril_between_now_and_banner_5/

Jesus. I could go either way in this scenario. The idea of blasting someone with Vivi, Dagger and Eiko (or insert favourite mage here) sounds super fun, but if you don't stack Mages much, combine away!

EDIT: Someone on Reddit just pulled 5 Butterfly Swords with only a x11 and 2 x3 pulls (amongst other 5*s). I would kill for that synergy.

Yeah I didn't combine the rods and basically obliterated ult silver dragon by nuking him down with blizzaga/aja and ssb's from rinoa and vivi while zidane steal power -> wind slash for 9999 and freya ice jumped and magic breakdowned. Y'sholta did the stoneskin into heals with my rw being emerald light which was uber clutch. Took 2 s/l to get the timing right for freya's ice jump to go off as he was flying up.

Hard to comment on how hard this ult will be for those less blessed with ffix gear :X

Sorry/not sorry

Edit: Also someone on reddit break down the math on how many mythril we are likely to get between now and banner 5, looks like anywhere between 70 and 84 not counting DU's, where you are in the daily login bonus schedule, and the Quiz/Egg rewards. This is good to know, gives me a bit more of a buffer than I had thought.

https://www.reddit.com/r/FFRecordKeeper/comments/4aiz4n/71_mythril_between_now_and_banner_5/
Neat, so I'm working with about seven hundred.

I really might try to spend a really dumb amount on the Power Orb Dungeon, it'll be easier with the overflow option, at least.

MrDaravon

Neat, so I'm working with about seven hundred.

I really might try to spend a really dumb amount on the Power Orb Dungeon, it'll be easier with the overflow option, at least.

How much mythril could you realistically spend on refreshes though in terms of the amount of time you have? I wonder if anyone has done the math on that if a full dungeon clear takes X amount of time on average etc.

Xetherion

It sounds like summons are not worth investing for you, but with all the Tyro hate lately I wanted to point out that I just used him as a summoner in the + battle with Valefor and Ifrit. Lvl. 80 Tyro with 5* Oak Staff (IX), a 5* non-RS bangle, and a +30 MAG accessory has 358 MAG. Valefor was hitting Soulcage for 8.8k, Ifrit for 9999 thanks to weakness.

Update: Tyro with same set up in ++ battle: Valefor did 7.6k and Ifrit 8.6k

How much mythril could you realistically spend on refreshes though in terms of the amount of time you have? I wonder if anyone has done the math on that if a full dungeon clear takes X amount of time on average etc.
A full run of a Daily Dungeon is like, five minutes?

Let's say six for breathing room, that's ten runs in an hour. Ten runs is 600 stamina. Say a 150 stamina bar is average (I'm at 157 myself), that's four refills an hour.

Czarcasm

Managed to beat the Silver Dragon without any refreshes, not counting Garland, that's the first time I've managed to do that in a while.

Team:
Cloud - Lifesiphon R4 / Lifesiphon R3 - Ace Striker - Fenrir Overdrive
Squall - Blizzaga Strike R3 / Aerora Strike R4 - Zeal - Fated Circle (Never Used)
Tyro - Full Break R2 / Ice Jump R3 - Thief's Code - Stormlance Grimoire
Lenna - Curaja R4 / Protega R2 - Mako Might - Flames of War
Y'shtola - Curaga R3 / Power Breakdown R2 - Dr. Mog's Teachings - Stoneskin II

RW: Fenrir Overdrive

It was actually pretty close for a while. Most of the team was at low health, Yshtola had barely a sliver of life left, but I managed to heal up and win.

Balphon

Turns out Silver Dragon does have magic attacks.

There's 60 stamina I'm not getting back.

Might have been able to do it without the magic mitigation until he countered 5 of 7 attacks.

MicH

Silver Dragon down. Pretty straightforward fight. Thank god we have the elemental jumps. They're a godsend in this fight since you have to bring a Dragoon anyway

Balphon

Did I just get unlucky or something? You guys seem to have brought way less mitigation than even I did and I was getting murdered by his counter spam.

EDIT: The reddit guide describes the counter as "so rare I've only seen it 2 or 3 times in 6+ videos."

Maybe I really was born under a bad sign.

broz0rs

I haven't bothered with the IX event until today, so I went for 100 gem pulls on both banner and each time got my screen to shake!

Results weren't that great.. Ashura Rod on the first banner, and Scissor Fangs on the second. I'll take it though, considering my synergy on IX is terrible.

Am I the only one twitching in excitement at the amount of despair the Tactics banner is going to cause?

I'm expecting an intense amount of salt not seen in this thread since the original Blazfire/Vega banner. I do want to see Falk get Plantinum Sword.

I should have at least 410 Mythril by the time FFT gets here and I barely have any good damaging SBs, no SSBs and only Medica (Aerith's) from the Trinity. As such, I've budgeted myself out for:
- Banner 1 (50)
- Banner 2 (15)
- Banner 3 (15)
- Banner 4 (15)
- Banner 5 (215)
- FFT (100)

I wish 5 was 1, so I could blow my Mythril there first and adjust if I get what I need early (lol, not happening with my luck). I really want to finally get a Wall. If I get lucky and get some SSBs + Wall early, I'll probably devote the rest to FFT. On the flip side, I may also do 265 on 5 and only 50 for FFT.

I'm counting on us getting the same free 75 Mythril that Japan got, so I'm not budgeting anything towards the 3 Lucky Draws we'll hopefully get leading into the anniversary.

B.K.

I've got Gilgamesh at 65. Should I use him for the Ultimate or egg Freya up to 65? Does the realm synergy make enough of a difference?

Ultimate wasn't too hard. It took a couple of S/L as I decided to not bring a medica and he proceeded to counter several of my attacks. I brought Kain along as my Dragoon as I have his Lancet SB and was pleasantly surprised when I found he could equip swords which I have a couple 5* for FF9. Kain has been riding the bench for a very long time so I forgot his equipment possibilities. I still haven't crafted Blizzaja and used my Blizzaga for the fight. Even with the Oak Staff Vivi was only hitting for around 5000. Looking back Blizzaja would have made the fight quite a bit easier.

WarAdept

No idea what I'm going to do with this Ultimate. My synergy consists of both of Eiko's harps and a Mage masher.

Eiko + Kefka + standard stuff I guess. We'll see. Doesn't sound too bad from all the posts here and Reddit though.

Balphon

Silver Dragon tried to screw me again by countering three times in a row before he died but I managed to master it this time.

Pretty crappy ultimate. Have to choose between RNG garbage or Faraway and 5000 RES.

At least it's over.

Mastered the Ultimate using this team with good ole' retaliate advance yet again :p

12828542_10154643695508989_186842396127159154_o.jpg

I over killed the healing needed but hey, if everyone is there to either heal or strike my retaliate Cloud then why not? Cid jumped three times the whole match, ALMOST didn't need the third jump. Flew up right at the end. Lost two medals on damage and one on actions. I guess I didn't get my mitigation up quick enough or something. Still mastered though. Cloud is too useful btw which is why I desperately wanted his bssb.

Silver Dragon (U) was easy using 5 man retaliate. Used a Lenna RW with Flames of War. 2-3 AOE heals from Cloud made for a (mostly) smooth kill.

Kill:
qe2x3wgl.png

Setup:
4IkKeUKl.png

WarAdept

i am really curious... besides garland, has anyone ever beaten any ultimates without losing any medals?

Maduin. That dude was free as hell. Yunalesca as well. I came super close with Necrophobe and Exdeath, but lost 1 damage medal from both.

Otherwise nope, always 1 medal lost for Actions and 2 for Damage. You basically need insane burst in the form of multiple SSB spam to even have a shot at doing no medals lost runs.

EDIT: 5 Man Retaliate cheese is baaaaack!

i am really curious... besides garland, has anyone ever beaten any ultimates without losing any medals?

Never. I think you have to be pretty decked out with the best gear for every realm.

Actually I was looking at my old saved screen shots and apparently I did for two of em. Must've been lucky not to get hit by some aoe attacks because those are what kill the damage medals in a hurry.

greyshark

Silver Dragon was pretty straightforward - with standard mitigation his attacks were pretty weak. Not a fan of his RNG counter - 15% chance on all abilities and I'd get hit back to back multiple times. Thank god for my Medica. Elemental Jumps, Spellswords, and Blizzaja made damage not an issue.

A couple times I accidentally hit him while he was in flight - was surprised at how much damage I did. I figure his RES was way above the soft cap so it wasn't really helping prevent any more damage coming from me.

WarAdept

Now I'm reconsidering my allocation of Mithril to SSB. Especially since we will most likely get a free 75 Mithril to burn on Lucky Banners. Maybe I'll actually get lucky.

Lol fuck that, more Ochu Whips for me.

Kaiterra

Banned
Keeping all the actions straight to do the Reta x 5 cheese strategy for Silver Dragon is a real brain drain. Maybe I shouldn't have tried to get cute. I figured I might as well though because my FF9 gear is terrible. A Hypno Crown, Mage Masher and a generic pair of gloves are all the synergy gear I have outside of Brigandines and Gladiuses.

I just beat (U) Silver Dragon again, because it's so much fun. The combination of the amazing music and the interesting but not incredibly cheap flight mechanic is something I found very enjoyable. These are the types of Ultimates I like, not ones that just nuke you every five seconds.

Kaiterra

Banned
Yeah it's interesting. I wish he wasn't quite as fast but it's still not that bad. It feels fair.

I'll do it later when I'm not half asleep though.

Balphon

I just beat (U) Silver Dragon again, because it's so much fun. The combination of the amazing music and the interesting but not incredibly cheap flight mechanic is something I found very enjoyable. These are the types of Ultimates I like, not ones that just nuke you every five seconds.

Say that after it counters you four times in quick succession.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom