• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy: Record Keeper |OT2| I HAVE NO MYTHRIL AND I MUST SHOUT

Status
Not open for further replies.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Well, that's oversimplifying things.
I've been able to beat all the single boss Ultimates with retameta since I don't play enough to get all the orbs I need to hone the higher level spells. I don't even have the best luck with draws, outside of getting my own SG and Aerith's heal, so it's not like I'm winning with synergy. And I'm still missing a hastega, although I'm still not sure why everyone on Reddit seems to think Scream is the best SB ever and changes the game (does it stack with Advance or something?).

Not quite sure I understand you.

Lucky Draws are completely separate from the SSB fest.
In the last orb fest, they had those special banner draws during the event... I just assumed they were doing the same thing.

So are lucky draws just generic half price draws and SSBs are 50 mythril draws with a guaranteed pool of items?

I've been able to beat all the single boss Ultimates with retameta since I don't play enough to get all the orbs I need to hone the higher level spells. I don't even have the best luck with draws, outside of getting my own SG and Aerith's heal, so it's not like I'm winning with synergy. And I'm still missing a hastega, although I'm still not sure why everyone on Reddit seems to think Scream is the best SB ever and changes the game (does it stack with Advance or something?).

In the last orb fest, they had half price draws during the event... I just assumed they were doing the same thing.

Scream is hastega + boostga on a really good character, you combo it with a good physical ssb and you can see 7000-9999 x 4-5 . Combo that with life siphon and you can steam roll bosses.

MicH

In the last orb fest, they had those special banner draws during the event... I just assumed they were doing the same thing.

So are lucky draws just generic half price draws and SSBs are 50 mythril draws with a guaranteed pool of items?
Right. Lucky Draws are just half price draws where you can get any character relic if you get a 5*. No featured relics. The SSB fest banners have featured relics from all kinds of realms often including rare relics like Sentinel's Grimoire and Thyrus

As of right now we don't know when we get the next half priced Lucky Draw. For all we know there could be one to coincide with the Orb fest launching tonight

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Right. Lucky Draws are just half price draws where you can get any character relic if you get a 5*. No featured relics. The SSB fest banners have featured relics from all kinds of realms often including rare relics like Sentinel's Grimoire and Thyrus
So I guess the people on reddit have figured this out, but if you need haste, then you shouldn't pull on any of these banners?

MicH

So I guess the people on reddit have figured this out, but if you need haste, then you shouldn't pull on any of these banners?
There are Hastega relics on some of the SSB fest banners. Banner 1 has Quistis' Red Scorpion and banner 5 has Garnet's Wizard Rod. Both give Haste when their SB is used

Always pull on lucky draw banners. They're half priced banners where you can get ANY character relic. It you get a 5* it's a character relic - no generics!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I'm at 250 mythil since I wasted 100 on trying to get Cloud's BSSB and got zilch... is it worth giving up 2 chances at Ramza's relic for whatever the Lucky Banner may or may not give me?

Grzi

You have native Wall, you can use Ramza as your RW, you beat the game, congratulations.

There, a more accurate oversimplification than yours :)

firehawk12

Subete no aware
You have native Wall, you can use Ramza as your RW, you beat the game, congratulations.

There, a more accurate oversimplification than yours :)
If Scream meta needs a multihit BSSB/SSB to be a high damage dealer, then that's still relying on something that depends on RNG.

Retameta works for almost all the content and doesn't require you have honed Valefors and Maduins and Meteors and all the cool things that the more dedicated players have. lol

Balphon

I'm at 250 mythil since I wasted 100 on trying to get Cloud's BSSB and got zilch... is it worth giving up 2 chances at Ramza's relic for whatever the Lucky Banner may or may not give me?

The Lucky Banners are by far the most efficient use of mythril in drawing relics, so yes.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The Lucky Banners are by far the most effective use of mythril in drawing relics, so yes.
I suppose there's a chance to get Boon or Lunatic High... even though those seem quaint now.

But with the number of SBs in the game, I assume that SSBs and BSSBs would have less than 1% of dropping... if they are part of the Lucky Banners anyway.

MicH

Technically they give you a "free" multi hit SSB-like relic from the Beginner's banner. Tyro's Stormlance Grimoire is pretty much Squall's SSB with Lightning element. With good RS gear he can easily hit the cap in a Scream team

I suppose there's a chance to get Boon or Lunatic High... even though those seem quaint now.
You can also get any of the currently released SSBS. Definitely worth it in my opinion

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Technically they give you a "free" multi hit SSB-like relic from the Beginner's banner. Tyro's Stormlance Grimoire is pretty much Squall's SSB with Lightning element. With good RS gear he can easily hit the cap in a Scream team
I kind of regret pulling on that for Advance, since it's only useful on Cloud. Whoops. lol

Grzi

If Scream meta needs a multihit BSSB/SSB to be a high damage dealer, then that's still relying on something that depends on RNG.

Retameta works for almost all the content and doesn't require you have honed Valefors and Maduins and Meteors and all the cool things that the more dedicated players have. lol

Well I don't have honed Meteors or Valefors (my Maduin is R3 but I barely use it), no native Wall, Hastega or Boostga, started playing December 26th, Beatrix was the first Ultimate I beat and I managed to beat every one since except for Vossler. I don't use Retaliate unless it's fun like in the Five man reta tactic (which I don't really consider cheesing at all, you have to pay more attention than when playing the "regular" way), I just try to use the most out of everything the game gives me. Well, now I have Cloud's BSB which makes stuff a bit easier but still.
This game features a bunch of great systems and it basically perfected the ATB battle system so to boil everything down to "p2w or reta meta" is kind of unfair.

Also, if you've beaten all of the Ultimates you can exchange all those Major orbs to hone your 4* skills, most of which are more than enough for ultimate bosses.

Wazzy

Banned
Lol I forgot I pulled Y'shtola's SS2 from one of the SB banners a long time ago. It's been nice when needing to fit in two healers.

I'll attempt the ultimate once I unlock it but what's people's setups? I think I only have one IX weapon Diamond Sword that's 6* and one 6* that's from having multiple which is Gladius.

I suffer from lack of IX gear lol

I think all of them do unless there has been a samurai abyss dungeon

Maybe not abyss but wasn't there a boss (maybe ultimate) that outright ejected a character using Retaliate?

Lol I forgot I pulled Y'shtola's SS2 from one of the SB banners a long time ago. It's been nice when needing to fit in two healers.

I'll attempt the ultimate once I unlock it but what's people's setups? I think I only have one IX weapon Diamond Sword that's 6* and one 6* that's from having multiple which is Gladius.

I have pretty much the same IX weapons as you, plus a Hypno Crown. I used a team with a Reta+Draw Fire Auron, Reta+Wind Jump Gilgamesh, Squall SSB+Blizzara Strike, Eiko healer, and Red XIII w/ LH. RW was a AoE heal to beat it kind of normally. But, you can just cheese it with 5 Retaliates

You can retaliate cheese this boss so your lack of IX synergy shouldn't hamper you too much

Dragner

You dont even need relics for scream meta, the new skills are all multi-hit, a boosted Locke with thiefs raid can hit for 5x6k+ without any soul break with any synergy weapon + scream.

LucaMac

Yeah, demon wall has a special attack that outright kills anyone using Retaliate I think.
Yea, Demon wall in the combat Abyss...he's nasty. Still was the easiest abyss for me all the same, though Ive SG in Japan which makes tyro "All Abyss Epic"

Pejo

You dont even need relics for scream meta, the new skills are all multi-hit, a boosted Locke with thiefs raid can hit for 5x6k+ without any soul break with any synergy weapon + scream.

I'm so behind on current meta tactics. Is Scream significantly better than Jecht's attack boost on his unique multi hit AoE + Attack boost relic skill, for instance?

Xetherion

I'm so behind on current meta tactics. Is Scream significantly better than Jecht's attack boost on his unique multi hit AoE + Attack boost relic skill, for instance?

Shout (Scream's official translation) is Hastega + 50% ATK boost. The only other SB that gives that high an ATK boost is Planet Protector. All other ATK boost SB's we've seen, including Jecht's, are either 30 or 35%.

The Hastega + Boostga in one ability is what makes it so great. With bosses having such high defenses these days some kind of Boostga is pretty much as important as the Trinity, so really it's more of a Quadrinity now. Having 2 out of the 4 in one ability is extremely good.

MrDaravon

Got it timed so I should hit 151 Stamina along with it's free refresh right around when orbfest goes live. I almost feel like an old man since I started playing right in the middle of the last orbfest haha.

I still honestly wish I'd been playing since day one, having all of these unleveled characters and missing out on pulls etc for the first ~6 months of the game still drives my OCD nuts. Looking forward to going all in on this as much as humanly possible, plan on min/maxing my stamina for the next however many weeks orbfest is running, and as long as they don't start until Friday I plan on probably doing gem pulls on any lucky banners and saving the free mythril.

Edit: I'm having a moment, with daylight savings do bonus battles/events etc still go live at 8pm EST or is that different now? I'm not around for the morning reset usually so I haven't noticed if that's still 8am EST or not still.

Wazzy

Banned
Maybe not abyss but wasn't there a boss (maybe ultimate) that outright ejected a character using Retaliate?

I have pretty much the same IX weapons as you, plus a Hypno Crown. I used a team with a Reta+Draw Fire Auron, Reta+Wind Jump Gilgamesh, Squall SSB+Blizzara Strike, Eiko healer, and Red XIII w/ LH. RW was a AoE heal to beat it kind of normally. But, you can just cheese it with 5 Retaliates

Okay this setup is definitely something I can do so I'll try it. Thanks!
You can retaliate cheese this boss so your lack of IX synergy shouldn't hamper you too much
Ohhhh okay I'll try it thanks!

Balphon

Edit: I'm having a moment, with daylight savings do bonus battles/events etc still go live at 8pm EST or is that different now? I'm not around for the morning reset usually so I haven't noticed if that's still 8am EST or not still.

Technically they still go live at 8 PM EST, but 8 PM EST = 9 PM EDT, and most places in the US and Canada are on Daylight Saving Time now.

RivalCore

I probably didn't need to do the 5-man-reta-cheese, but I really enjoy how silly that combo is so it's all cool with me.

I'm also winding down for the teaching semester for next 12 days, so plenty of time for orbfest!

I probably didn't need to do the 5-man-reta-cheese, but I really enjoy how silly that combo is so it's all cool with me.

I'm also winding down for the teaching semester for next 12 days, so plenty of time for orbfest!
It's just plain fun to see 90% of an Ultimate boss's repertoire be so useless.

While I pulled Ultima Weapon previously, I'm pretty sure this setup would work fine even without an RS weapon. The Mako Might on Tyro was for Celebration SB, but I didn't need it.

KmDB5p0l.png

xgtIee6l.png

I managed to beat Silver Dragon with a clumsily put together party I threw together to practice (and burn stamina).

I took Sunbath with the intent of bringing Planet Protector in the for real version, but his counter attack is pretty garbage, so the major regen was a lifesaver.

MrDaravon

Technically they still go live at 8 PM EST, but 8 PM EST = 9 PM EDT, and most places in the US and Canada are on Daylight Saving Time now.

Yeah I just found that as well, laaaaaaaaaaaame. Not much of a practical deal for me personally but messed up my stamina timing for tonight, ah well.

I managed to beat Silver Dragon with a clumsily put together party I threw together to practice (and burn stamina).

I took Sunbath with the intent of bringing Planet Protector in the for real version, but his counter attack is pretty garbage, so the major regen was a lifesaver.

Yep, my second attempt was dashed due to back to back to back counters :|

DST will be a amazing for EU, now the update hour will be 1AM instead of 2AM for me.
Don't clocks go forward in Spring so it will go from 02:00 CEST to 03:00 CEST? On the other hand daily dungeon reset will be 10:00 CEST.

I've really been feeling the clocks going back on the daily dungeon reset (it generally means I've not been able to sneak in some Sunday dungeon runs on Monday morning) for the past 6 months.

I'm off to bed to wake up to some orbfest action (I'm like washed out of stamina too so no reason to stay up).

Kouriozan

Don't clocks go forward in Spring so it will go from 02:00 CEST to 03:00 CEST? On the other hand daily dungeon reset will be 10:00 CEST.

I've really been feeling the clocks going back on the daily dungeon reset (it generally means I've not been able to sneak in some Sunday dungeon runs on Monday morning) for the past 6 months.

I'm off to bed to wake up to some orbfest action (I'm like washed out of stamina too so no reason to stay up).
Wait I got this confused.
Nooo :(
Obviously I can't stay up until 3AM.

elty

My budget:

Orb: 15/25/15/15/0
Phase 1: 15
Phase 2: 0
Phase 3: 15
Phase 4: 15
Phase 5: 50

That will leave me 150 for FFT.