• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy: Record Keeper |OT2| I HAVE NO MYTHRIL AND I MUST SHOUT

Status
Not open for further replies.

MicH

Makes sense. So do they not always have these banners with special 5* items? I've had the game for like 2 hours so this is probably an ignorant opinion, but with the amount of banners and shit everywhere I would have assumed there was always some sort of event like this going?
There are always events and banners ongoing (Terra, Cloud etc). It's the Lucky Draw banner and Orb dungeon that are extremely rare and really, really good

Falk

that puzzling face
It's not ignorant at all hahahah

Generally, the game thrives retention-wise on time-limited events featuring some characters, that typically run for 10 days. Current events are Terra (about to end) and Cloud (around for a while more) with Barret.

For each event going forward, there are two banners. These banners feature a handful of 5*s related to the characters and the game they are from. Almost all other 5*s (outside of a small generic set typically with no soul breaks on them) have a hilariously small chance to pull, in the range of 0.001%.

That's another reason why people are going nuts over the current Lucky Draw banners. All the prior really good soul break equipment otherwise had practically zero chance of showing up.

MrDaravon

There are always events and banners ongoing (Terra, Cloud etc). It's the Lucky Draw banner and Orb dungeon that are extremely rare and really, really good

Fair enough. I see people here and on reddit talking a lot about needing orbs, I just don't have context for that at all yet, I crafted a few of the early ones to complete quests for Mythril and that's it so far. Seems like I picked pretty much the time to hop on board, but now I'm scrambling to figure out basics and get this mythril in the next 90 minutes lol. I appreciate everyone's patience though :D

GAMERG0D

That's quite a lot...

WfimQKk.png

MrDaravon

It's not ignorant at all hahahah

Generally, the game thrives retention-wise on time-limited events featuring some characters, that typically run for 10 days. Current events are Terra (about to end) and Cloud (around for a while more) with Barret.

For each event going forward, there are two banners. These banners feature a handful of 5*s related to the characters and the game they are from. Almost all other 5*s (outside of a small generic set typically with no soul breaks on them) have a hilariously small chance to pull, in the range of 0.001%.

That's another reason why people are going nuts over the current Lucky Draw banners. All the prior really good soul break equipment otherwise had practically zero chance of showing up.

So up until now they had the 11 pull for 50 Mythril, but it wasn't for specific themes/soul break gear so you usually just got the generic 5* stuff?

Falk

that puzzling face
Prior they had 1 banner per event. Now it's 2 per event. Probably due to the creeping number of 5* items in the game, lol.

MrDaravon

Prior they had 1 banner per event. Now it's 2 per event. Probably due to the creeping number of 5* items in the game, lol.

Would make sense. Skimming past news stuff on their site it seems like they've kept slowly adding stuff to the game since launch, that becomes a lot of bloat at a point.

MrDaravon

Scraped up 25 Mythril and did a pull, no 5* sadly :(. On tablet so I can't screenshot it (or I can't figure out how on this thing), but got:

4* Platinum Dagger (XII)
4* Dancing Dagger (IV)
4* Hayate Bow (V)
4* Bright Armguard (X)
3* Orichalcum Dirk (V)
3* Defender (IV)
3* Poison Rod (VI)
3* Lilith Rod (IV)
3* Cypress Pole (XII)
3* Golden Shield (V)
3* Golden Armor (VI)

Bummer no 5*, but seems like a decent haul considering I just started playing a few hours ago?

Now that I have a chance to breathe and relax since I'm not crunched for time anymore, two specific questions:

-Should I be using any Exp Eggs yet, or just hoarding them?
-Should I be starting to combine/upgrade equipment? I'm assuming 1* stuff is all trash at this point at the least?

Falk

that puzzling face
You know, if you've only played for 3 hours, it might (just MIGHT) be worth it to reroll till you get a haul on your first half-off pull.

Your call though. Those 4*s are decent to start of with, and your existing 2 5*s are pretty good.

Depends how hardcore you want to go at this game I guess.

In terms of XP eggs, I'd use them on characters you know are gonna be using a lot in your party (e.g. Cloud, Vivi, a good healer, a good support guy, etc), but I'd do it only after Orb Dungeon ends since that's very, very easy XP.

In terms of equipment, keep in mind that the "record synergy" mechanic makes stuff way more useful in their respective realms if you upgrade them even to 5/5 2* or 1* combined. A fully combined and upgraded 2*++ at 15/15 used in its corresponding realm, for example is usually as good stat-wise as a non-Synergy 5* in a specific realm. 1++s are nothing to sneeze at either when you've just started.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
had a pretty gruelling fight against jenova-life but emerged victorious. made the mistake of putting together a party that only included one ff7 character. i don't normally do the EX battles because i'm a scrub but i'm going to try this time because i want Cloud MC2. :/

Falk

that puzzling face
It's not bad. If you get through the boss rush (you can cheese it with Mythril refreshing in the ABSOLUTE worst case - it's pretty lenient though) you can cheese the ++ fight with sleep and poison.

MrDaravon

You know, if you've only played for 3 hours, it might (just MIGHT) be worth it to reroll till you get a haul on your first half-off pull.

Your call though. Those 4*s are decent to start of with, and your existing 2 5*s are pretty good.

Depends how hardcore you want to go at this game I guess.

In terms of XP eggs, I'd use them on characters you know are gonna be using a lot in your party (e.g. Cloud, Vivi, a good healer, a good support guy, etc), but I'd do it only after Orb Dungeon ends since that's very, very easy XP.

In terms of equipment, keep in mind that the "record synergy" mechanic makes stuff way more useful in their respective realms if you upgrade them even to 5/5 2* or 1* combined. A fully combined and upgraded 2*++ at 15/15 used in its corresponding realm, for example is usually as good stat-wise as a non-Synergy 5* in a specific realm. 1++s are nothing to sneeze at either when you've just started.

I have no idea what you mean by re-roll, you mean wipe my save or some equivalent and start completely over? If so I'll pass on that, if not you'll need to clarify >_>. I plan on going in pretty hard on the game, but not in that fashion.

Reading around a bit here and on reddit I think I'm starting to get a feel for things, I'm still a bit lost on the weapon/armor upgrading/combining/augmenting though. I think I've got skill creation down, but on weapons/armors I'm a bit more lost. I understand how upgrading works by spending gold and then either weapon mats or other weapons to increase it's Lv (the blue bar) to increase it's stats, right now for me it's more a question of if it's worth the resources to do upgrade stuff and whatnot. What I'm more confused about though is Augments and Combining items. When I got to the Combine Equipment menu I have about 25 or so things there, but they're all greyed out and all say "Low Lv" and I can't do anything at all? Also after re-reading the in-game description for Augmenting I still have zero understanding of how the fuck that works. Also items with a blue outline on their box indicates it has a Soul Break attached correct? That was stumping me for a while.

Outside of that though I think I'm starting to finally grasp what's going on, the first two parts of the beginner's guide on Reddit make total sense to me now whereas earlier I didn't understand most of it.

Falk

that puzzling face
Yeah, re-roll means going right from scratch.

You still have two more of the half-off mega-pulls (one starts right now), so it's no big loss anyway!

Razmos

Did a 100-gem pull on the second cloud banner and got the Murasame katana (FFVII), YESSS, I really needed a melee weapon for FFVII.

Then I did the lucky draw and got 2 uniques, 6 4* and 3 3* items. Pretty much all the 4* were items I already had at 6* though :(

The 2 uniques were Tidus's Lightning Steel (awesome) and Warrior of Light's Sun Blade (sweet)

MrDaravon

Ohhhhhh, you can only Combine weapons/armor that have their levels maxed out. Saw that mentioned by accident in the Max Weapon Upgrade quest I just took :(. Well that answers that question!

ZangBa

had a pretty gruelling fight against jenova-life but emerged victorious. made the mistake of putting together a party that only included one ff7 character. i don't normally do the EX battles because i'm a scrub but i'm going to try this time because i want Cloud MC2. :/

I'm in the same position, just barely scratched by Jenova Life and somehow by sheer luck mastered it. I had Cloud and Zack, with Zack stuck at 50. I used retaliate, stop spam and breaks, but Cloud was only hitting for like 2.4k and Jenova liked to one shot people before I could buff. I don't think there is any hope for me to get Cloud's MC2 :C

Balphon

Only one 5* on this lucky pull as well.

It was Diamond Pin, though, so I'll take it and join the club of folks waiting for Red XIII's MCs.

Ohhhhhh, you can only Combine weapons/armor that have their levels maxed out. Saw that mentioned by accident in the Max Weapon Upgrade quest I just took :(. Well that answers that question!

Yes, but only one of them must be maxed. The other one can be at level 1. I wasted some upgrade materials early before I figured that out.

Im going to hold off on bonus battles until next Saturday i think. Want to get Zack up to 65 as Jenova Life wasn't as smooth as it could have been.

Valiant for Irvine and Vega 42s from Lucky Draw! Former will be helpful for the Seifer event and the latter will be awesome for Sazh (don't have him yet, but looks like him and Lightning will be recruitable through bonus quest next week).

Xetherion

Got Van's Zwill Crossblade and Seph's OWA on my Lucky Draw this time. Already had Masamune for Seph, but hey OWA is a slight upgrade, so yay i guess. That dagger is nice though, finally have a way to cause Sap!

Would you guys rather me keep SG as my RW or does anyone want Van for Sap?

Road

Got Sabin's gloves on the Lucky Draw.

I must be the guy with the highest amount of 5* without any really good soul break (my best is Northswain Glow), also terrible world distribution (who needs more FFVI synergy, especially in glove form?).

Before the Lucky Draw I was already satisfied with my offensive weapons, so the only reason I've been drawing here is to get any support soul break, but no lucky here.

At least I have my first 5* augment material (if I ever get a ssb weapon).

broz0rs

Picked up a Minerva Bustier (Terra) from my 3rd phase Lucky Draw. Wish I could have used it for the Terra event that just ended.

ZangBa

Polymorph Rod and Healer Robe. This is kinda great because I've been using Tellah as my healer. I'd rather use Y'sthola, but I don't have her MC so she is stuck at 50. :/

I now have a party heal, hastega + protectga, and hastega + shellga. Alright game, give me an SG or Thyrus in phase 4 and solve my mitigation problems entirely.

Haven't combined a natural 5* yet though I have 2 zantetsukens. Think I might combine the katanas though since katana users are rare and I have a bunch of VI gear.

Cyclone grimoire, yuck, and five four stars, none of which I had maxed out, which is awesome.

Took out the boss rush and jenova life without breaking a sweat, didn't lose a medal on either. Will take the death at the end I think, no rush there, want to see what a level 80 cloud can do with advance.

Falk

that puzzling face
Lost an action medal on ++ because Aerith was autoattacking for SB gauge to get the Stop medals.

This game lol

Ditto, I'm gonna be doing the +++ after I'm done with Phase 4 farming, no rush.

Balphon

Cleared the Jenovas with a few headaches since I didn't bring anything to deal with Reflect, leaving half my party standing there for the last 40%.

Still haven't ever used Retaliate or Advance, though. Three cheers for moral victories.

Falk

that puzzling face
Cleared the Jenovas with a few headaches since I didn't bring anything to deal with Reflect, leaving half my party standing there for the last 40%.

You know, I TOTALLY forgot about Reflect.

Thankfully since Meteor and Valefor are part of my lineup they took me through the end :V

Balphon

You know, I TOTALLY forgot about Reflect.

Thankfully since Meteor and Valefor are part of my lineup they took me through the end :V

I had nothing but single target. I waited for it to wear off, then hit Seal Evil and nuked her down for the last quarter of her life since the counter doesn't work when she is stopped.

I initially tried to get her to use the counter again so she'd reflect one of my party members, but I think the AI is coded to avoid that.

Kenai

Uh...Healer's Robe (which I already had) and Sun Blade. I have no idea how I should feel about this, but it is 100% an upgrade over my last 2 pulls (which were 11 3s and 10 3s 1 4, respectively.. I think my Warrior of Light is still lvl 1 and I ran out of Growth Eggs...

I got Barret's Weapon (yay), Cloud's Hardedge., 3 Shinra Helms and 2 Dragon Armlets between the two FF7 banners)., 11x2 on each pull. No Organics or Diamond Pin but could be worse.

Edit: Nope my WoL is level 50. Cool, him and Barret can be in my next set of 65s.

Falk

that puzzling face
xxYUiT5l.jpg

Guess where all my luck went.

I think being a music guy there's a polytonal joke to be made here.

Balphon

Uh...Healer's Robe (which I already had) and Sun Blade. I have no idea how I should feel about this, but it is 100% an upgrade over my last 2 pulls (which were 11 3s and 10 3s 1 4, respectively.. I think my Warrior of Light is still lvl 1 and I ran out of Growth Eggs...

Warrior of Light's default SB is generally better than his relic one.

kiryogi

Banned
I got Tyros Wind Book. EW D:

But the last 2 11 lucky draws were kinda fruitful. Got both of Tifa's gloves and Balthier's Gun.

Falk

that puzzling face

I got Barret's Weapon (yay), Cloud's Hardedge., 3 Shinra Helms and 2 Dragon Armlets between the two FF7 banners)., 11x2 on each pull. No Organics or Diamond Pin but could be worse.

Warrior of Light's default SB is generally better than his relic one.

On the bright side you're set to cheese all existing and future FF1 content since I doubt they're going to tune it hard with the general lack of FFI RS gear.

Kenai

On the bright side you're set to cheese all existing and future FF1 content since I doubt they're going to tune it hard with the general lack of FFI RS gear.

Between that and my Behemoth Knives they'd better watch out!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom