• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy: Record Keeper |OT2| I HAVE NO MYTHRIL AND I MUST SHOUT

Status
Not open for further replies.
EsaHoVh.png
Finally. Now to go for the other two.

So. I'm running Cloud/Golbez to spam Mythril refreshes (80 planned, about 6 in right now)

Cloud has Bladeblitz and Drain Strike
Golbez in the back row has Quake and Meteor.

I'm on the third stage, first wave. Cloud gets hit by Jarring Strike and gets confused. No biggie. I queue up Quake on Golbez, whose castbar starts right after Cloud's

- Cloud autoattacks himself, ZANTETSUKEN PROCS. Cloud dies (LOL)
- Golbez' Quake goes off, kills off the wave.
- Wave 2/3, OH MY GOD A CACTUAR. But wait. Golbez has 0 Meteor 0 Quake remaining. RW is a non-damage RW (I just select the one at the top of the list to save as much time as possible starting the next stage) I really want to kill this Cactuar though for possible 4*.
- Use Golbez's SB, Paralyze sticks on Cactuar

k1YQWiwl.jpg

- Well this sucks. Wondering what to do. Golbez only melees for 300.
- WAIT. I JUST REALIZED WHAT THE RW WAS

GJFWJaDl.jpg

- YASSSSSS Golbez now melees for 2k like a boss from the back row

Q3j0xOsl.jpg

- TAKE THAT YOU FILTHY CACTUAR
- Golbez proceeds to solo wave 3 meleeing from the back row with a rod.
- Cactuar dropped 4* Summon orb

I'm now laughing too hard to continue grinding. Gonna take a break.

I woke up my uncle in the other room from laughing so much at this post. Nicely done, Falk!

Meneses

Oh poops. Maybe that's it. lol

Yeah, you need his RM2 and then you need to have him in your party, it randomly dropped for me while doing the Orb battles.

I was surprised to see it because I also thought I already had it automatically when that Unlock message came up.

Althane

5*'s I've gotten from this round:

Dusk Lance - Khimari's Mighty Guard
Blood Lance - Kain's Lancet
Polymorph Rod - Tellah's Font of Wisdom
Silver Barrette - Red XII's Trine

I'll have enough mythril for the last lucky draw (but scraping the bottom of the barrel). Still gonna focus on Orb farming though, and then get back to farming dungeons for stam. Any idea on when we'll get QOL improvement showing how many dungeons are left in each realm to master/finish?

GAMERG0D

Edit: nvm I figured it out

Although I still want to know, should I augment my Organics with one of Aerith's ribbons since I have two of them?

MrDaravon

Pretty much, yeah. The dailies are generally the most reliable sources of what they offer. The current event is basically three dailies smashed together with more high-level orbs.

That's what I thought but thanks for confirming! I'm only just now getting to the point (in the 20s now with my current group) where I'm actually starting to think or look at creating/honing stuff.

This game has it's hooks on me baaaaaaad

Vorpal

Hmm, seems like a waste of orbs that could be used to make 4★ later.

I dunno, with high enough MAG and corresponding elemental weaknesses, well-honed 3* summons would be useful. Do we even know what the orb conversion rates are going to be?

Shiva's the only ice-based summon so I think it's worth having her at r5, but you're probably right about the other two. I just want a pair of 3* and 4* elemental summons for weaknesses and to have enough uses to last for an entire boss. It's much easier to hone the 3* summons and if they don't end up getting used, there's always the ability dismantling that's coming in the future, though obviously at a fairly steep cost. I think it'll cost me the equivalent of 40 GSOs to upgrade both to r5 or just 20 if I only take them to r4 which might be the better move if I were to do this.

I dunno, with high enough MAG and corresponding elemental weaknesses, well-honed 3* summons would be useful. Do we even know what the orb conversion rates are going to be?
Orb conversion is 10:1 and dismantling gives back 50% of the total orb cost.

Although I still want to know, should I augment my Organics with one of Aerith's ribbons since I have two of them?
The stats on the keepsake ribbon are so high that unless you already have a bunch of mage hats I'd keep them to outfit my all-mage parties.

Falk

that puzzling face
Only one banner has the 1/2 off mechanics. It's clearly labelled lucky draw.

The other banners will gip you the full 50 Mythril or 3000 gems.

My plan is to also have enough 4* summon orbs anyway.

Elemental weakness 3*s are gonna get 1 each at r5, except Ramuh at 2x r5 because Ramuh.

MrDaravon

Oh, for some reason I thought when you clicked on any of the banners the x11 pull option took you to the half-off one, my bad. Anyway did my second pull, someone tell me how good/terrible this was

zxWsE4G.png

Falk

that puzzling face
Friend summons for heals see use few and far between, but when they do the hands-down best is Lullaby Rod since it also gives Heavy Regen (5% per tick)

Having it yourself is way better.

The dagger is a dagger, I guess. Good stats, but in a synergy that doesn't really have much mileage at this point of time.

NeoForte

Been only getting 1 relic per lucky pull. This time I finally got a useful gun! Baltheir's! I'm pretty happy even if he is a meh character imo.

MrDaravon

Yeah, stat-wise it was actually a bit better than the Blitz Sword Cloud was using, but I also hadn't really put any levels into that thing yet either. I didn't know FF14 was even in the game yet, is there even a FF14 realm?

Yuna's Rod seems solid and is a better stat-stick than anything else I had right now for Rydia, but I don't have Yuna yet either.

Balphon

Yoshimitsu is the strongest dagger in the game at the moment, though you won't have a chance to get Thancred again for awhile.

Lullaby Rod is a strong Mage weapon with a useful synergy. When you get Yuna it will give you a chance to replace her godawful default SB and should make her very useful.

As for the rest, the FF4 white robe is good healer armor. The rest is unremarkable.

Falk

that puzzling face
There's been a grand total of 1 event for FFXIV, and two dungeons which retread pretty much the first half of it.

I'm assuming they intend to go hard with it, just based on the cross-promotional value it has with an active MMO

MrDaravon

Do higher star weapons/armor inherently take more resources to level up (other than the fact they have more levels of course)? Like at the point I'm at is there any reason I shouldn't be leveling up the handful of 4/5* items I have ASAP?

Falk

that puzzling face
You might be gold-capped, but with Orbfest I'm not sure how that turns out.

(Sorry for the vagueness lol, at 35M Gil and climbing it hasn't been a concern for a while here)

Balphon

Do higher star weapons/armor inherently take more resources to level up (other than the fact they have more levels of course)? Like at the point I'm at is there any reason I shouldn't be leveling up the handful of 4/5* items I have ASAP?

No, though the higher item levels require more experience to achieve, so maxing them out will inherently require exponentially more items.

If gil is an issue for you, note that the cost per item to upgrade is determined by the starting level of the item to be upgraded, so it is most efficient money-wise to upgrade all at once.

Falk

that puzzling face

Remember that with vulnerability, a 3* summon is 11x, as opposed to the 9.6 of Maduin/Valefor.

MrDaravon

No, though the higher item levels require more experience to achieve, so maxing them out will inherently require exponentially more items.

If gil is an issue for you, note that the cost per item to upgrade is determined by the starting level of the item to be upgraded, so it is most efficient money-wise to upgrade all at once.

That's great to know! I started yesterday so I don't have a ton of money (maybe like 100k or so right now?), so I don't want to go crazy but obviously sitting on all of my money and never creating or upgrading anything doesn't do any good either.

They're obviously limited somewhat by it being a mobile game with a touchscreen etc, but going through your inventory and whatnot is already a pain at this point. I know I should be leveling up stuff for synergy even at lower * levels, but going through pages of stuff and deciphering * and what game it's from and then looking at what I already have leveled up and equipped kinda sucks.

I went Advance/Retaliate for Jenova cause I just wanted to get it dun and get back to orbing.

She hit Aqua Breath right up front (ouch), then stayed stopped for the entire length of the battle as I saw the 9999s fly.

I had to laugh, probably the easiest ++ for me, with or without Advance/Retaliate.

Alright, I definitely need to flood my RW list with Leons. Just did the EX+ Rufus/Dark Nation fight and killed them both by turn 3 from stacking Planet Protector and Hand of the Emperor.

LucaMac

I made a gigantic mistake...I have got to the third stage of the boss rush and now on my third s/l. I didn't bring any healing with me...for a boss rush. Feck sake. I put Ricards RM on Cloud...he's been gradually wasting away each battle. Not sure if I can finish it out. If I get through round 3 I might be ok as I brought a sentinal RW and Cloud is packing retaliate...but those little prick adds keep sending all their magic his way (without sentinel active)...raging is what I am. Aeris didn't need to pack a Diaga to this nonsense. The whole thing would be very straight forward if I even had one cast of Curaga to do me the third boss.

EDIT: I'm a Leon now. Can't remember my code off hand but I posted it a few pages back. I'm currently trying to deal with this mess I've landed myself in so I can't go in to the menu to check. Will when I can.

EDIT 2: Holy shit balls, I somehow did it. There you go. 9fRE

lol nice work. Thanks for the code - followed.

We should maybe update the GAF RW list after orb fest is over and everyone's done getting their shiny new loot. It looks like it hasn't been updated in over a month and I know that I've forgotten to update my entry to reflect who I'm using right now.

Did the 3 lucky pulls and 1 regular so far...T_T no 5* yet. But one more chance!

How does the stage difficulty correlate? I have been doing 1 difficulty = 1 level which has seemed to work so far more or less (ie 30 difficulty wants lvl 30 chars) but it isn't actually true. Like I can do the hard orb events (45) no problem with my level 35ish characters but other level 30 elites wreck me.

MicH

Looks like my luck finally ran out. I'm getting no greater or Major orbs in phase 3. 1 greater per 135 stamina, still no major 10 refreshes in :/

Razmos

lol nice work. Thanks for the code - followed.

We should maybe update the GAF RW list after orb fest is over and everyone's done getting their shiny new loot. It looks like it hasn't been updated in over a month and I know that I've forgotten to update my entry to reflect who I'm using right now.
Indeed! I still have the link bookmarked, I'll post it again once orb fest is over and I'll get it all updated.

It was kinda getting lost in the old OT anyway, at least Falk can add it to the OT (providing he remains unbanned)

Falk

that puzzling face
Exactly that, yes. It's the best use of Mythril for a variety of reasons, but only under very specific circumstances, the three biggest of which is that

- This is by far the fastest way to farm Summon orbs for foreseeable future.
- 1 Mythril gets 137 stam (the max in the game right now)
- less likely to pull upgrades from banners e.g. already a healthy loadout of 5s.

Generally saving Mythril for gear is the best idea.

Razmos

What are people talking about when they reference refreshes, as in running the event until they run out of Stamina, then using a Mythril/gems to refill?
Yep.

I just cheesed Jenova LIFE with Stop. I think that in my entire history of playing Final Fantasy, this is the very first time that I have ever found a use for the Stop status, soo... thanks for that Record Keeper :p

MrDaravon

Exactly that, yes. It's the best use of Mythril for a variety of reasons, but only under very specific circumstances, the three biggest of which is that

- This is by far the fastest way to farm Summon orbs for foreseeable future.
- 1 Mythril gets 137 stam (the max in the game right now)
- less likely to pull upgrades from banners e.g. already a healthy loadout of 5s.

Generally saving Mythril for gear is the best idea.

This completely makes sense, thanks! I'm still low level to make good use of that for this event sadly though.

Falk

that puzzling face
I just realized I could totally get Cloud's RM3 and Luneth start the fight with Advance. That's just amazing.

Remember it's only at the start of the entire dungeon and not once per battle like core class RMs.

Meaning only once for boss rush.

Negator

Remember it's only at the start of the entire dungeon and not once per battle like core class RMs.

Meaning only once for boss rush.

Over the course of the boss rush, I usually generate two bars, meaning that I can have it up for Bosses 2, 3, and 4, which is pretty good.

Also I can have it up for the 1 encounter bosses, which is REALLY good.

Falk

that puzzling face
Wups, overshot a little and finished grinding 9 minutes past the hour

NyLgVEi.png

Made out even more like a bandit though - last 10 Mythril resulted in 8 major orbs. If this is what it means to go 0/44 I'll gladly take it for a shit ton of Major Power next stage thx :V

Breaking to do DU12 now.

Second Lucky Draw with nothing interesting AT ALL. It was also the saddest pull, the game glitched and I had a black screen instead of the draw. Had to open inventory to see the result, it was so ugly that I thought it didn't pull and it was random equipments from events...

MrDaravon

How does the stage difficulty correlate? I have been doing 1 difficulty = 1 level which has seemed to work so far more or less (ie 30 difficulty wants lvl 30 chars) but it isn't actually true. Like I can do the hard orb events (45) no problem with my level 35ish characters but other level 30 elites wreck me.

I'm wondering this as well now. The only Classic stage I had left was going to give me all of the Stamina I needed to get the next Stamina point/refill and I was already full on Stamina so didn't want to waste that. I had some Elite/event stages that were in the 30s difficulty wise that I tried before and went poorly (I'm 22-25 right now). But then I just tried to do the Hard orb event which is 45 as mentioned above and no problems. I don't want to waste Stamina but no idea how the difficulty seems to work, it can't be straight difficulty = levels because I see there are stages with over 100 difficulty and I don't think you can level that high?

Falk

that puzzling face
Orb Dungeon is rather undertuned for its displayed level.

I think a good gauge is levels x (1 to 2.5) based on how good your gear and hones are.

MrDaravon

Orb Dungeon is rather undertuned for its displayed level.

Ah. The highest difficulty is 80, what character level would you say could pull that off? If I can get high enough before this phase ends I can try to give it a go.

Alternatively would the level 45 difficulty even be worth running if I can't run the 80, or is the 80 pretty much where it's at? I seem to be in a weird spot right now where I can run the Hard daily EXP dungeon but not the third tier as well, so I'm still working on getting through Classic stages and whatnot but I don't seem to have much else I can quite do yet farming wise.

MicH

It's here... It's finally here! Red XIII finally got his crystal! I'm so excited about this! Just in time for Cloud's RM3 as well!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
When does the orb dungeon change again? Tomorrow night?

Also I'm 5 refreshes in and I'm dying. I don't know how you guys do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom