• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy: Record Keeper |OT2| I HAVE NO MYTHRIL AND I MUST SHOUT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaiterra

Banned
How the hell does this Ultimate work? I take around 900-1000 from their magic attacks even with Stoneskin II, Dragon's Roar and Shellga up.

Balphon

Since it looks like an event with Bartz isn't coming around again for a long time, would it be worth using a Hero Soul to unlock him and an MC Lode to get him to 65, or would it be better to save those and just use Agrias when the FFT event releases? The reddit tier list from last month has Bartz in God tier, but I value GAF's opinion more than reddit.

Bartz is very good even if you don't have a SB for him. He has above-average stats, great item selection, and a high degree of utility thanks to high ranks in Thief and Spellblade. Agrias is a knight and is really in a different niche despite the fact that they share high spellblade. The most direct competitor to Bartz is Balthier, and the most direct competitor to Agrias is Steiner.

yasu151

I'm hoping to pull a haste-all ssb for any character. Given this, what do ya'll recommend the best phase to pull might be? I have ~200 mithril, and can either use it all on the phases or save some to try my luck with tactics.

Guys should hone higher levels of bahamut, ruinga, valefor/maduin, and/or meteor if you run out of gas on these ultimates. By the time I ran out of case only had thunder gigas left who I had been ganking with my melee characters

Kaiterra

Banned
I brought in a party to melee them down one at a time so I didn't have to worry about eating three counter boulders per turn. I mean maybe I should adjust that approach, though I don't have the stamina to do it right now.

Edit: Nah screw it I have to.

Credo

Bartz is very good even if you don't have a SB for him. He has above-average stats, great item selection, and a high degree of utility thanks to high ranks in Thief and Spellblade. Agrias is a knight and is really in a different niche despite the fact that they share high spellblade. The most direct competitor to Bartz is Balthier, and the most direct competitor to Agrias is Steiner.

Thanks for that explanation. The reason I asked Bartz or Agrias is because they were grouped together in this reddit thread . I already have Steiner at 65 without an SB and Balthier at 50 but without an MC1 or SB, so at least I already have their competitors as high as I can get them I guess.

Noi

I'm hoping to pull a haste-all ssb for any character. Given this, what do ya'll recommend the best phase to pull might be? I have ~200 mithril, and can either use it all on the phases or save some to try my luck with tactics.

The only two SSB banners with a Hastega are Quistis' Red Scorpion in Banner 1 and Garnet's Wizard Rod in Banner 5. They both have the same effect except the former does Shellga while the latter does RES up by 50%, which stacks with Shellga. Also Quistis is kind of a mediocre character while Garnet is much better.

Alternatively, there's the ever-looming Tactics banner with the king of all Hastegas (Shout) on one of, if not the best support in the game. Given all three relics have the same drop rate and are in different banners, its up to your preference of characters/secondary effects.

Not so stealth Edit: Err yeah, banner 5 for Wizard Rod. Dunno why I typed 2.

The only two SSB banners with a Hastega are Quistis' Red Scorpion in Banner 1 and Garnet's Wizard Rod in Banner 2. They both have the same effect except the former does Shellga while the latter does RES up by 50%, which stacks with Shellga. Also Quistis is kind of a mediocre character while Garnet is much better.

Alternatively, there's the ever-looming Tactics banner with the king of all Hastegas (Shout) on one of, if not the best support in the game. Given all three relics have the same drop rate and are in different banners, its up to your preference.

Wizard Rod is in Banner 5, and it's an amazing banner overall. It is where I will focus my attention.

LucaMac

Right, thanks.

Guess I have to start getting the MC2 from events asap, but I can barely beat the dif 99 dungeons currently.. :p

They really do give out a lot of blank ones with the ex dungeons in events.. I nearly have them all in Japan now. It's gradual but the hall of rites will eventually sort you out if you miss some.

Nohar

So, here are the results of my lucky draws:
  • 1rst Lucky Draw: Oak Staff (IX) - Vivi. Reaction: Meh. Oh well, it is always nice to have some magical synergy, even though Mage Meta will get overshadowed pretty quickly once Scream is here.
  • 2nd Lucky Draw: Crescent Wish, ie. Selphie's SSB. Well, I really didn't expect that. I guess Wazzy's luck rubbed on me. I guess it is time for Yuna to take a back seat.
  • 3rd Lucky Draw: Auron's Kagero (my first 5* Katana, nice), Eiko's Hypnocrown (heh, actually quite nice, and it is an hat!), Rydia's Ice Whip (that's... something, I guess. Too bad only a select few black mages can use it) and Tyro's Last Judgement (SSB which I will never use since I own Sentinel Grimoire).

To recap, here are my natural 5* stars:
  • FFI: Sunblade (WoL)
  • FFII: Golden Armor (Leon's), Ice Gloves (actually a Bracer, no SB)
  • FFIII: Tyrfing (Luneth)
  • FFIV: Ice Whip (Rydia)
  • FFV: Judgment Staff (no SB), Ninja Garb (no SB), Toxid Rod (AoE Poison shared SB)
  • FFVI: Zantetsuken (no SB), Oath Veil (no SB)
  • FFVII: Organix (Cloud), Golden Sword (no SB), Shinra Helmet (no SB), Holiday Mittens (shared SB)
  • FFVIII: Blitz Sword (no SB), Valiant (Irvine), Crescent Wish (Selphie SSB), Rising Sun (Linoa)
  • FFIX: Oak Staff (Vivi), Hypnocrown (Eiko)
  • FFX: Anniversary Dagger thingy (shared SB), Kagero (Auron), Lullaby Staff (Yuna), Emerald Shield (no SB - also an outdated shield), 2 Emerald Bracers (shared Shellga SB - my babies)
  • FFXII: Locksley's Bow (Fran), 5*+ Gladius (shared SB - well, these daggers helped me for a long time, now that I have a 5* Katana I had no reason to not combine these), Kaiser Shield (shared Protectga SB - haven't used that one in a long time, but was very useful back in the days)
  • FFXIII: Keepsake Knife (shared Protectga SB - never used it, I think?), Binding Rod (my first 5* Rod, still very useful), that weird celebration gun, Vega (Sazh), Evil Pumpkin thingy, Witch's Hat (shared SB)
  • DAH KEEPER BITCHES (Overly Manly Tyro ftw): Sentinel Grimoire, Healing Grimoire, Celebration Grimoire, Last Judgment Grimoire

I guess I have been pretty lucky, especially considering I only spent 1€ once (got me nothing), so I'm basically free-to-play player. I have 652 Mythrils remaining.

Please don't hate me.

Pejo

I'm starting to get antsy about not spending any mythril on the upcoming banners. How long do we have to re-acquire mythril before the Pecil BSSB banner? (assuming we follow somewhat closely to JP)

Noi

I'm starting to get antsy about not spending any mythril on the upcoming banners. How long do we have to re-acquire mythril before the Pecil BSSB banner? (assuming we follow somewhat closely to JP)

We're still 10 events away from when BSSB fest happened in JP, counting X-2 and Tactics, not counting the Logres collab. It'll probably be a few more later given how our SSBfest was delayed by a few.

Probably 3 months, at least. You've got plenty of time, and even if you kept saving, there's still no guarantee you'd get it. I try to not think more than one festival in advance.

MicH

Did the FFT event already happen in NA? I keep seeing people talk about Ramza and Agrias but I don't see them in the Hall.
No, it's coming April 4th. They keep getting mentioned because they're too very good and popular characters, and the banner has some great and meta-defining relics

Balphon

Ramza & Agrias are amazing even without any of their relics and could easily make a spot on many of my teams. Pulling one of their relics just elevates them to godhood.

Agrias is Beatrix with spellblade and the support role is sort of cabined in by who you have a SB for since you're going to stick 2 support abilities on them anyway. I bring Red XIII to everything because I have LH despite the fact that his ability and equip sets are terrible.

EDIT: Don't get me wrong. They're good, but it's their relics that have the game-changing potential. Otherwise they're just two above-average characters with bad realm synergy.

Pejo

We're still 10 events away from when BSSB fest happened in JP, counting X-2 and Tactics, not counting the Logres collab. It'll probably be a few more later given how our SSBfest was delayed by a few.

Probably 3 months, at least. You've got plenty of time, and even if you kept saving, there's still no guarantee you'd get it. I try to not think more than one festival in advance.

Thanks guys. Banner 4 might get a few pulls, in that case. There's multiple relics on that banner that I wouldn't mind having.

MrDaravon

Okay, time to decide what to finally do banner-wise, I thiiiiink I've decided what to do more or less but looking for some advice/confirmation. For discussion's sake let's say I have 250 mythril (aka 5 11-pulls) to spend on SSBfest + Tactics. Between mythril from events and the fact I can quite frankly gem up if needed I'll probably wind up with more than that but I want to plan on 250, especially since I'll need refreshes as well as I want to make sure I can do at least one pull on the first FFVI banner coming up.

These are the character relics I have, I bolded the ones that are/seem noteworthy as most of them quite frankly aren't.

Yoshimitsu (Dancing Edge - Thancred)
Brave Blade (Lupine Barrage - Bartz)
Masamune (Hell's Gate - Sephiroth)
Rune Axe (Black Fang - Golbez)
Drill (Drill - Edgar)
Kaiser Knuckles (Unyielding Fist - Galuf)
Kaiser Knuckles (Rising Phoenix - Sabin)
Lullaby Rod (Hymn of the Faith - Yuna)
Asura's Rod (Leviathan - Garnet)
Maduin's Horn (Magitek Missile - Terra)
Lamia's Flute (Havoc Wing - Kefka)
Ice Whip (Summon Eidolon II - Rydia)
Healing Grimoire (Healing Grimoire - Tyro)
Sentinel Grimoire (Sentinel Grimoire - Tyro)
Celebration Grimoire (Celebration Grimoire - Tyro)
Ras Alghethi (Tides of Fate - Balthier)
All-Rounder (Attack Reels - Wakka)
Magic Comb (Stardust Ray - Red XIII)
Healer's Robe (Medica II - Y'shtola)

Tentative plan: a few 3 pulls or one 11-pull on banner 1, one or two 11-pulls on banner 5, and two or three 11-pulls on FFT.

Banner 1 I'm torn on since there's some good stuff, but I don't actively use most of the characters on there AND I already have the Lullaby Rod that they swapped out Yuna's SSB for. A lot of the other stuff on here seems mostly solid but not exceptional outside of Excalibur and Red Scorpion, and I'm kinda iffy on Red Scorpion as I already have my Shell/Regen needs met elsewhere, and Quistis as an actual character is eh. I've barely touched Bartz, the Excalibur SB is better than the Brave Blade one for sure but the Brave Blade one isn't a slouch either. Thinking maybe just the one pull here as a result, Excalibur is the only thing that really stands out to me here, several items would be nice to have but nothing really critical here for me IMO.

I've already written off banners 2-4 at 100 gem pulls, for the most part nothing interesting in there at least for me personally unless someone can come up with a compelling argument otherwise.

Banner 5 I'm torn on because there's a lot of very solid but largely not exception relics EXCEPT for SG, which is also the ONE item on that banner I already have lol.

So yeah I'm in a weird spot where banners 1 and 5 have stuff that I'd like to have, but nothing that would be super critical. Like, I could totally live not pulling on either one period. It's a weird spot, throwing this out here just to see if anyone has a different opinion or not. I figure one pull on banner 1, two on 5 and 3 on FFT hedges my bets fairly well if nothing else, but on the other hand I could also see saying screw everything and throwing all 5 pulls on FFT etc.

Noi

Ramza is amazing from a relic-less perspectice though. He has the stats and HP of a frontline fighter, gets his MC2 in the same event he comes out (which makes his lack of RS pointless, seeing how we already use lvl 80 Tyro), has a wide variety of useful/relevant ability sets (Combat 4, Support 5, Knight 4, Ninja 3 and Bard 3),has a non-useless default SB and has access to the most common and accessible weapons/armor. Every other support character lacks something that Ramza has, which is why he's such a great pick. Assuming that I draw nothing of value in either the SSB or Tactics banners, he's effectively becoming my go-to Support for all the harder content. Obviously, this will vary from person to person depending on if you have any Support SBs worth using. Red XIII with a Diamond Pin or Sazh with Boon are still gonna be handier than a relic-less Ramza.

Agrias/Beatrix have a similar comparison; they have similar stats and abilities but Agrias has the edge in spellblade use, having a better default SB and getting her MC2 months earlier.

Edit: I'm going single pulls on banner 1 (cause I'm interested in Excalibur but know better than to go all in on a single relic), 100 gem pulls for 2, 3 and 4, single pulls for Yuna banner 2, 100 Mythril on Banner 5 and 100 Mythril on Tactics. Will save mythril from earlier pulls for later banners if I get something of value from the first few.

MrDaravon

Ramza is amazing from a relic-less perspectice though. He has the stats and HP of a frontline fighter, gets his MC2 in the same event he comes out (which makes his lack of RS pointless, seeing how we already use lvl 80 Tyro), has a wide variety of useful/relevant ability sets (Combat 4, Support 5, Knight 4, Ninja 3 and Bard 3),has a non-useless default SB and has access to the most common and accessible weapons/armor. Every other support character lacks something that Ramza has, which is why he's such a great pick. Assuming that I draw nothing of value in either the SSB or Tactics banners, he's effectively becoming my go-to Support for all the harder content. Obviously, this will vary from person to person depending on if you have any Support SBs worth using. Red XIII with a Diamond Pin or Sazh with Boon are still gonna be handier than a relic-less Ramza.

Agrias/Beatrix have a similar comparison; they have similar stats and abilities but Agrias has the edge in spellblade use, having a better default SB and getting her MC2 months earlier.

Yeah, I was pretty much gonna use Ramza anyway since I love FFT, but him actually being a good character is even better!

WarAdept

I am super surprised about that Anniversary Dagger. I was already swimming in X gear (Brotherhood, Lullaby Rod, Shimmering Blade, Sin's Talon, Jechts Headband) but now this allows me to maximise my Rikku and my shiny new Thief's Revenge.

Super happy about that, thanks DeNA!

hesho

go figure.. i had a hell of a time doing the FFII +++ battle. I had to SL like 4 or 5 times.. Mass spam of slow.... but then the ultimate was a cake walk....

Edit: I'm going single pulls on banner 1 (cause I'm interested in Excalibur but know better than to go all in on a single relic), 100 gem pulls for 2, 3 and 4, single pulls for Yuna banner 2, 100 Mythril on Banner 5 and 100 Mythril on Tactics. Will save mythril from earlier pulls for later banners if I get something of value from the first few.

Yep yep. He's only 2 attack off of Cloud at level 80, so you can use him as another offensive fighter and take full advantage of Full Break's 2.2x multiplier. If you run Red XIII as a dedicated support for Lunatic High, you could easily run 3 Breakdowns and Full Break while not sacrificing offense capabilities (assuming you don't have a strong SB that another combat character could be using).

Phew.

t0ySXJVl.png

Pretty tough Ultimate for me (RIP Mages). Couple notes/bits from my experience:

• Took me 3 tries (180 stamina) to get the right party setup. The damage can be brutal. The setup above absolutely stomped it though.
  • I am lucky to have a native Wall, so I could take Divine Guardian (Garnet SSB) as my RW. This stacked with Shellga, and was really, really effective.
  • Firion can carry Dark Buster + Tempo Flurry. I levelled him up to 80 during Orbfest and he is a pretty strong option even without a Unique SB.
  • Bioga/Flare/Firaja/Blizzaja were split across Maria and Terra. Maria probably wasn't the optimal choice, but I just felt like using her.
  • Starting to really appreciate relics like the ones we got from Adel and Necrophobe Ultimate - that extra HP/elemental resistance respectively is worth way more than a bit of extra MND on white mages.
  • Fight gets easier as it goes on, but the Thunder Gigas has some really strong attacks during its weak phase so can't switch off.
Glad to have it done, back to the regularly scheduled Gigantuar hunting!

Balphon

Because this argument is fun I'll keep going.

I think you're overselling it. Ramza's ability set seems nice on paper, but it really only gives you three things outside of the Support class you'll ever possibly use in some theoretical scenario where he isn't running two support skills:

1) Mana's Paean
2) Banishing Strike
3) Lifesiphon

Those are good, but we're talking SB-less Ramza so Lifesiphon is pointless, there are other supports who can dispel, and I doubt you're going to put a mage buff on your support.

The "common and accessible weapons/armor" you want him to use are swords. Likewise, his default SB is a self-attack buff.

You already have a 5* Support who can use swords and has a better default self-buff SB than that. His name is Gordon, and you don't use him. (Even though he is awesome. #TeamGordon.)

What you're left with is best-in-class ATK and early MC2 access. Both might be good enough to tiebreak everyone else, but I still think he loses if you have basically any relic for another support.

And in case you're wondering: yes, I mostly responded to have an excuse to hype Gordon.

Because this argument is fun I'll keep going.

I think you're overselling it. Ramza's ability set seems nice on paper, but it really only gives you three things outside of the Support class you'll ever possibly use in some theoretical scenario where he isn't running two support skills:

1) Mana's Paean
2) Banishing Strike
3) Lifesiphon

Those are good, but we're talking SB-less Ramza so Lifesiphon is pointless, there are other supports who can dispel, and I doubt you're going to put a mage buff on your support.

The "common and accessible weapons/armor" you want him to use are swords. Likewise, his default SB is a self-attack buff.

You already have a 5* Support who can use swords and has a better default self-buff SB than that. His name is Gordon, and you don't use him. (Even though he is awesome. #TeamGordon.)

What you're left with is best-in-class ATK and early MC2 access. Both might be good enough to tiebreak everyone else, but I still think he loses if you have basically any relic for another support.

And in case you're wondering: yes, I mostly responded to have an excuse to hype Gordon.
There's already been several times I've wished I had Ramza to run quirky ability sets without having to use Tyro. One example would be multi-enemy fights where some are vulnerable to sleep. He's a perfect guy to run Phantasm and an offensive ability (Breakdown, Petal Flurry, Shadowsteel, whatever) so that he can sleep one target and then provide significant damage in beating down the other. His access to Shadowsteel lets him provide Sap in battles where that matters (Seymour, etc) while again maintaining offensive power in his other ability slot. And if you don't have Shout, you can run Rallying Etude as a weaker option.

Going back to Soul Breaks somewhat, another nice thing about Ramza is that every pull on his banner gives you a 5% chance of getting one of his relics, and even his two non-SB relics are incredibly useful (ST multihit + 100% stun or 40% Medica + Protect). No other banner really offers those odds for improving a single character.

Nohar

Just beat the 3 Gigas. Well, that was something. I'm not quite sure I would have been able to master this fight without native Wall and Selphie's SSB.

I'm still not sure if I should pull for the celebration or, more accurately, which banner I should pull. If I could get Lulu's Hairpin, I would be set for a mage team.

Balphon

There's already been several times I've wished I had Ramza to run quirky ability sets without having to use Tyro. One example would be multi-enemy fights where some are vulnerable to sleep. He's a perfect guy to run Phantasm and an offensive ability (Breakdown, Petal Flurry, Shadowsteel, whatever) so that he can sleep one target and then provide significant damage in beating down the other. His access to Shadowsteel lets him provide Sap in battles where that matters (Seymour, etc) while again maintaining offensive power in his other ability slot. And if you don't have Shout, you can run Rallying Etude as a weaker option.

Going back to Soul Breaks somewhat, another nice thing about Ramza is that every pull on his banner gives you a 5% chance of getting one of his relics, and even his two non-SB relics are incredibly useful (ST multihit + 100% stun or 40% Medica + Protect). No other banner really offers those odds for improving a single character.

You're right. For some reason I thought he only had Ninja 3.

In any event it's all probably moot because everyone is going to pull on the banner anyway since all of the relics are great. :)

You're right. For some reason I thought he only had Ninja 3.

In any event it's all probably moot because everyone is going to pull on the banner anyway since all of the relics are great. :)

Amen! If it helps, Gordon was one of my primary support characters until Sazh released and I pulled his Vega. Having both BLM3 & WHT3 is a fantastic boon.

Noi

For the record, I have Gordon at level 65 and used him for this event's Bonus Battles. He's pretty underrated, but at least with Ramza I want have to worry about Optimize outfitting him as a caster!

Sorry bros, Gigas fight was so easy for me. Fran's Super Soul Break did 6000 damage each and applied Power/Magic Breakdown on all three at once. Then Stoneskin II and Mighty Guard via Roaming Warrior. Clod with area damage burst after motorcycle time and Firion and Rinoa doing about 6000 area hits each (Bladeblitz and Meteor). Firion did some Wild Rose on Thunder when he was last man standing.

Yes, this track is awesome in Theatrhythm! It's Man with the Machine Gun
Yeah, it's a remix of Man With The Machine Gun from FFVIII. It's the one the won the Anniversary remix poll.
Oh, thanks. Yeah I don't know much about VIII and X, except that VIII has a great soundtrack.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom