• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy: Record Keeper |OT2| I HAVE NO MYTHRIL AND I MUST SHOUT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have any of you started using Rosetta Stones or sacrificing 5*s, even gimp ones like the Gold Sword or Excalipoor, yet? I haven't done that at all, and I'm curious which weapons/armors you've done this on.

I really want to clean out my inventory. Especially of outdated accessories.

Noi

Passing on the FFVII banners entirely outside of a single pull in Banner 2 to fish for Zack's SSB. I'm loaded with enough VII relics as it is.

Falk

that puzzling face
Well, I'm done with the game. The FFRK community here and on Reddit are great (well, barring the latest drama on Reddit, which is kinda sad honestly), but I find no fun in playing this software anymore, I don't condone DeNa tactics, and I'd rather stay away from games with gachas. It was fun while it lasted.

Hahaha, the mindset to take right from the beginning is to not let the gacha get to you. Agree the whole FFT mess could and should have been handled better (and the valiant knife cherry on the cake STILL suggests temporary sudden incompetence rather than malice) but oh well. See you around.

Hahaha, the mindset to take right from the beginning is to not let the gacha get to you. Agree the whole FFT mess could and should have been handled better (and the valiant knife cherry on the cake STILL suggests temporary sudden incompetence rather than malice) but oh well. See you around.

Yea, if I try another game like this I will begin with that in mind. I have no problem with RNG and even low rates. My problem with FFRK (and I think many other gacha games) is the temporary nature of what you can get. I played MMOs where I'd compete to claim a mob that spawn once every 8-24 hours for an item with a drop rate of 2%, in a room full of other players. Was it bullshit? Yes. However, I worked hard and eventually I got the item to drop. The possibility to get it was present every single day.

In a game like FFRK, if I want, let's say, Lulu's SSB and I am not lucky during the time it's available, it's gone. Do I need that SSB to beat anything? No. Doesn't change how much I want it. At least I would love to know that the chance to get it is there. It's just the way 5* relics work that does not sit well with me. I understand why they do it, it pushes people to spend money before a banner is gone. It's those predatory tactics that I dislike a lot but they are there to make money and it works well with enough people to make the publishers super rich. Being unlucky is something I got used to a long time ago, way before this game. Still, loving FFRK very much and I have no intention to quit!

Yea, if I try another game like this I will begin with that in mind. I have no problem with RNG and even low rates. My problem with FFRK (and I think many other gacha games) is the temporary nature of what you can get. I played MMOs where I'd compete to claim a mob that spawn once every 8-24 hours for an item with a drop rate of 2%, in a room full of other players. Was it bullshit? Yes. However, I worked hard and eventually I got the item to drop. The possibility to get it was present every single day.

In a game like FFRK, if I want, let's say, Lulu's SSB and I am not lucky during the time it's available, it's gone. Do I need that SSB to beat anything? No. Doesn't change how much I want it. At least I would love to know that the chance to get it is there. It's just the way 5* relics work that does not sit well with me. Being unlucky is something I got used to a long time ago, way before this game. Still, loving FFRK very much and I have no intention to quit!

This is my first and only gacha game, and I admit, the nostalgia (and especially the music, and oh-shit-the-pixel-art) overwhelmed me. I don't really play any other games, so I don't mind dropping some cash on this every now and then: I do 100 gem pulls on the regular, and I bought some Ifrit Bags during FFT. Considering I touch the game every day, I figured it was a decent investment, but I can see how those folks chasing items might be both disappointed and induced to pull.

I guess it's easier to swallow if you're just a FF fan in general. For instance, I adapted my team based upon what relics I drew rather than absolutely needing to get one character's item. (Yeah, I chased Ramza's and that worked out, but I knew the folly of doing that.) I've gotten used to being unlucky, and I've learned to realize that hones matter more, and that 4*++ weapons/armor aren't bad either. It helps that I don't have a favorite character, I guess.

Noi

GBF's addition of just letting you outright pick your SSR/5*equivalent of your choosing out of the current pool in addition to the ten pull during certain mini-events is something I wish other gacha-based games would implement. It's already mechanically there (Beginner Banner), but limited to mostly junky, outdated relics.

I can't think of a single relic that would break any party on its own if chosen. Shout is already RW'able and a single Wall / BSB won't win you any Ultimate/U+ encounters.

Falk

that puzzling face

In a game like FFRK, if I want, let's say, Lulu's SSB and I am not lucky during the time it's available, it's gone. Do I need that SSB to beat anything? No. Doesn't change how much I want it. At least I would love to know that the chance to get it is there. It's just the way 5* relics work that does not sit well with me. I understand why they do it, it pushes people to spend money before a banner is gone. It's those predatory tactics that I dislike a lot but they are there to make money and it works well with enough people to make the publishers super rich. Being unlucky is something I got used to a long time ago, way before this game. Still, loving FFRK very much and I have no intention to quit!

I did that dumb Booty Bay coliseum thing every time it came around.

And the fishing challenge, Lord have mercy on me.

I had every reputation in WoW maxed out in Burning Crusade, before the achievement system was even implemented

This is my first and only gacha game, and I admit, the nostalgia (and especially the music, and oh-shit-the-pixel-art) overwhelmed me. I don't really play any other games, so I don't mind dropping some cash on this every now and then: I do 100 gem pulls on the regular, and I bought some Ifrit Bags during FFT. Considering I touch the game every day, I figured it was a decent investment, but I can see how those folks chasing items might be both disappointed and induced to pull.

I guess it's easier to swallow if you're just a FF fan in general. For instance, I adapted my team based upon what relics I drew rather than absolutely needing to get one character's item. (Yeah, I chased Ramza's and that worked out, but I knew the folly of doing that.) I've gotten used to being unlucky, and I've learned to realize that hones matter more, and that 4*++ weapons/armor aren't bad either. It helps that I don't have a favorite character, I guess.

We are pretty similar on why we play and on money spent. However, I have a very few favorite characters and that's really where the game is hurting me. I have 50 Mythrils ready for a shot at Celes' Excalibur and I don't even dare to do it right now because I don't feel like pouting tonight! Haha!

Any ill feelings I get toward the game dissipates pretty quickly, though. Still, I wish that I could just shrug it off every time the game refuses to give me a 5* for one of my favorite character. I got 1 item for Lulu, 0 for Locke, 0 for Celes and 0 for Lightning and I have spent a lot lot lot of Mythrils on them.

I had every reputation in WoW maxed out in Burning Crusade, before the achievement system was even implemented

The things we did with our time!

image.php

Balphon

You were one of those psychos who farmed BB guards to max out Bloodsail rep, weren't you?

Falk

that puzzling face

Ignore the realm first 80 stuff, screenie with 39 Exalted factions, the maximum you can have when WotLK launched.

Yeah, Booty Bay, pirates, Shen'dralar, Darkmoon Faire (help), Ravenholdt, and every other useless rep in the game.

39 Exalted, and 41 Revered because Pirates and something else I'm forgetting. And I also confirmed on the WotLK beta servers that switching Shattrath rep from one faction to the other doesn't bump you to 40 Exalted - it just counted how many you had at a given point. :(

edit: Actually, also close to every quest in the game complete at that point, and 7/8 T2, 7/9 T3. Was so cut when old Naxx got nuked and I'd never get 9/9. (I understand those things are back in random auctions though)

Negator

Realm first level 80 is more impressive to me honestly. I probably could have been the first 80 rogue on my server but I feel asleep, rip.

My absolute biggest problem with how the game is being handled right now, is how the future difficulty ramp ups are going to require higher numbers, which come from higher numbers from these 5 star relics. If you've been playing from the start you probably trash anything that isn't a 4 star or 5 star relic on your pulls. Even now, I'm hard pressed to care about 4 star relics unless I obtain 3 of them for combining. This all causes most of these relic pulls to be absolutely worthless. Mythril or Cash, we're practically throwing it all away with extremely little gain. When it takes MONTHS to save up mythril and you use it all to gain pretty much ZERO useful new gear, thats a huge problem. Dena needs to create more 4 star relics in general, I think I have at least 1 or 2 of every single one in the game. The true power creep is coming in the form of required Super Soul Breaks though, which comes from the lowest drop rates possible. Ability hones are equally important so at LEAST constant play is still rewarding. It's just ridiculous that theres no way to trade in like 100 shit items for a good one or something because lately when I do a pull I may as well not have. I dont know if I should just hoard mythril at this point and save it all for damage cap breaking relics or something.

The only reason I'm still playing this is because I'm in to deep. My ff nostalgia has already pretty much run dry since we see the same bosses and content over and over again. I'm fed up with crap relic draws but on the other hand I'm still able to clear all the content. I have a funny feeling though that when the power creep persists the low rate of good relic pulls will catch up , and it'll either be pay up or lose.

Falk

that puzzling face
Eh, like I mentioned in that fallout post, F2P players can and have been flourishing in Japan.

There's this average-pull-power-level line that DeNA is tuning around. Notwitstanding that the banners themselves have become much better compared to when the game launched (10% 5*, more generic than unique items, to SSB banners, to the current multi-SSB, 2% non-SSB unique, 13% 5* banners) but there's also been a lot of streamlining of other ways to power up - from making it rain orbs to the occasional free 5*.

I think it's important to note that most successful, lasting mobage services make their endgame reasonably accessible to completely new players, maintaining a relatively even start-to-endgame ramp up (see: Star Falcon lol) with some effort.

I think FFRK definitely falls in that category. DeNA (well, excluding whichever goobers are in charge of porting over their content plan to Global) have shown that they are very well aware of what people are and are not capable of.

If content gets to the point you need multiple BSSBs to clear, I can very well guarantee you that the banners will be flush with at LEAST SSBs, and there will be other catch up mechanisms. The carrot on a stick to entice people to pay only really works if it's within reasonable jumping distance, not an insurmountable whaling experience.

Kain

Don't get me started on the WOW shame... (I might bite this summer with Legion after dropping out mid Pandaria too >_<)

In other news, this Ultimate is kicking my ass. Maybe I'm having bad luck, but even with full mitigation that fucking Acid Rain is hitting for 1.5K and he sometimes does it like three times in a row. And Thundaga hits for a lot, too. But the problem is damage: -aja magic hits for 4ks with magic infusion (lol), and physical attacks hit like a wet noodle even after Full break. To hit for more I need Shout, but seeing as I have not native Wall and Shellga alone is not enough to mitigate the damage I would be dead in a couple of turns.

So I need Shout AND Wall or DG to kill the bastard. I have none, so I'm fucked.

PS: Physical attacks from the boss are not a concern as I have Greg tauntaliating, but the magic damage is destroying me.

If content gets to the point you need multiple BSSBs to clear, I can very well guarantee you that the banners will be flush with at LEAST SSBs, and there will be other catch up mechanisms. The carrot on a stick to entice people to pay only really works if it's within reasonable jumping distance, not an insurmountable whaling experience.

I really hope that's the case. I should give them the benefit of the doubt. I've only played the more popular gatcha mobile games that have hit the u.s. , and thanks to the final fantasy brand this is the one I got the deepest into.

Falk

that puzzling face
Do you have any lightning resist? If you're going retaliate, you might as well have the extra mitigation on everyone else.

Don't get me started on the WOW shame... (I might bite this summer with Legion after dropping out mid Pandaria too >_<)

In other news, this Ultimate is kicking my ass. Maybe I'm having bad luck, but even with full mitigation that fucking Acid Rain is hitting for 1.5K and he sometimes does it like three times in a row. And Thundaga hits for a lot, too. But the problem is damage: -aja magic hits for 4ks with magic infusion (lol), and physical attacks hit like a wet noodle even after Full break. To hit for more I need Shout, but seeing as I have not native Wall and Shellga alone is not enough to mitigate the damage I would be dead in a couple of turns.

PS: Physical attacks from the boss are not a concern as I have Greg tauntaliating, but the magic damage is destroying me.

How many healers do ya have at the ready? I would suggest packing your team with em and using them to fuel your retaliate strikes on Gilgamesh while healing when need be. I think this boss has really high resistance and lower defense so physical may be the way to go.

Kain

Do you have any lightning resist? If you're going retaliate, you might as well have the extra mitigation on everyone else.

Eh, not much, I think I have something on Relm. Thundagas hitting for 1.5ks with DG+Shellga is not normal anyway, I must be doing something wrong.

I think I'll let this one rest a little bit and try in a week after building my chars in this new event and the Elite dungeons I have left.

Speaking about SSBs and such, I'm seriously lacking in SSBs (I have two and they are shit), medicas and mitigation, my luck is horrendous, and though I think I can clear most of the actual content, I feel that if I don't get Wall or a good medica I will reach my limit soon.

And do you have any SBs/SSBs that raise Resistance? (Like Garnet's Divine Guardian or Lulu's Focus? Celes' default SB is another great one, and she can bring Double Strike.) Then bring Wall for for RW and stack with Shellga, and Breakdowns. Then since you won't have Shout, augment Gil's attack with Boost. (Then when he can use Morphin' Time, switch to that instead.)

Kain

Nope, nothing, I need to bring Wall or DG, I have no choice.

I was running:

Penelo - Shellga, Curaga (War Dance as SB)
Relm - Diaga, Curaja (Ink blast, useless, but the Cat hood itself is nice)
Greg - Taunt, Retaliate (Morph)
Sephiroth - Double cut to spam on greg, Retaliate so that Greg can hit something without getting countered (Hell's gate)
Ramza - FB, Banish Strike (Stone thingy SB)

I feel the team is strong and I cover everything, but the damage just don't cut it. I even have some decent FFVI relics stat wise, and all of them have synergy armor. I don't know what's wrong.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand I did a couple of pulls in the new banner and I got Zack's gloves. Which was the only decent FFVII relic I already had. You see what I mean with bad luck? Sigh...

Grzi

You have Leila's hastega/shellga relic right?

You should use that. You need Mako Might and Dr. Mog's Teaching as well. Pop Leila's SB and War Dance right at the start, use a knight with Banishing Strike and Saint Cross as well. Throw in Zack with his SB and maybe Terra with Alexander? Put Diaga and Curaja on Penelo. Wall should be your RW, skip on Protectga. Last character could be anybody that can do decent damage.

Kain

Mmm that's another way, the boss can be afflicted with slow (Tempo flurry on Zack is always a good idea)? I haven't tried that.

Dragner

The FFVII banners are booring. Banner 2 is still decent because 2% medica if you arent drowned on VII synergy.

Next week is the good stuff, aiming for Basch Shield since native HoTE is the only thing Im missing, any other item is welcome since I only have a gun and a spear for FFXII.

Grzi

Mmm that's another way, the boss can be afflicted with slow (Tempo flurry on Zack is always a good idea)? I haven't tried that.

Seriously, use your hastega. Out of the trinity, I'd say hastega is the most important, even more so than Wall. And you can use Steal Power + Thief's Revenge with Leila.

GordonShumway

Neo Member
Anyone else do as much of the FFVII event as they could last night then go back to dailies today?

Debating if it's worth concentrating on dailies for the rest of the week while the double GG event is on and finishing the FFVII next week. I already snagged Vincent and his first MC.

Dragner

I honestly dont care about farming that much. More for gishals, we will get tons of them so I wont go crazy. I do event when its available and then daily but no refreshes or anything. Not worth it IMO.

Grzi

I do both, but just because I can get mythril from the daily now so I tried to spend my stamina in a way that lets me do more pulls on the FFVI banner while it's here. Usually I do events as soon as they're available.

Still no Ichigeki, unless we count the attack that the Ninja enemies in the Fire/Earth daily use which is called Ichigeki. It was actually kind of funny when I saw that, game just keeps rubbing it in lol.

I played a Warlock in TBC and Skull of Gul'dan didn't drop until the reset before Wrath :(

Liking the new event format, less of the filler early stage and can make an early start on the bonuses.

Tidd

Finally finished the Ultimate but I didn't master it. ._.
After my offensive team (Gilgamesh, Lightning, Zack, Tyro, Garnet/Selphie) didn't work because Flash Rain did too much damage to me (~1500) I tried a defensive approach.

Team was this + Shout RW:
Started the battle with SG, Garnet's Hastega, Shellga(Flashing Rain did 500dmg) and setting up Gilgamesh. After that I used a normal Attack from Selphie and Diaga to change his form and make him vulnerable to physical attacks. Full Break and everyone attacked Gilgamesh, if I didn't need to heal. When Greg's SB bar was filled enough I used Shout and his SSB. After a few turns I renewed all my protection and this was more or less the whole fight. At the end I ran out of abilities for Greg and Lightning (probably overdid it with renewing retaliate) and had to use some Diagas from Garnet, which did as much damage as Greg with a double hit. Selphie always had at least 2 bars full of SB's so I had an emergency healing ready. I guess I really overdid it with 3 healers but it worked. Oh and I got lucky and he used his physical attack 4 times in a row, which allowed me to deal a lot of damage.
It's not perfect but yeah at least I beat it. Sucks if the Ultimate is immune to lightning and your only other damaging SSB is Lightning's. Guess I could have used Zack instead of Lightning just to use his SB but whatever.

Dragner

I do both, but just because I can get mythril from the daily now so I tried to spend my stamina in a way that lets me do more pulls on the FFVI banner while it's here. Usually I do events as soon as they're available.

Still no Ichigeki, unless we count the attack that the Ninja enemies in the Fire/Earth daily use which is called Ichigeki. It was actually kind of funny when I saw that, game just keeps rubbing it in lol.

Ichigeki came back for both BSSB fests, so maybe you have a better chance there, unless they remove it.

Or you can aim for Vaan BSSB, that is basically Ichigeki + burst mode.

Grzi

Yeah, that's the plan, I just don't feel like waiting so I pulled for it now. The BSB fest banners (1, 4 & 5 if they stay the same as in Japan, unlikely though, since we'll get Lightning BSB before them) and the FFXII banner with Vaan's BSB will definitely get some love from me.

Dragner

Yeah the weapon is worth it and this Relm banner is really good so nothing wrong with chasing it, its an amazing SSB but has the issue that is on Shadow, and equipment is an issue for him, I wont be able to bring him for this ultimate for example, as I dont have a FFVII Katana or dagger.

Relm's record materia is taking forever to drop. Ugh. I also have no desire to pull on banners anymore outside of a festival. After the success of the last festival, I've learned to save my mythril - it really is worth it in the end.

Dragner

Also Hojo U+ will be the first time I bring a mage to an ultimate(FU black magic requirement), luckily I have my boy Strago ready with his new relic that will help a lot. Equip him dispel and a -ja spell and done.

Anyone planning on honing multi break? Only mog penelo and keeper are a bummer. I'm thinking honing and giving it to keeper, since I have sentinel and I've been using tyro with life siphon and full break, so swapping full break for multi only gives up a little bit of damage.

Full break in dance form that hits everyone

Ah, gotcha. In that case, yes, I will probably hone it up to R2 at some point. There are enough group fights to warrant its use. I wouldn't treat it as an outright Full Break replacement though, because I'd rather have the extra damage against single target bosses. What orbs does Multi Break require?

MicH

It's definitely worth honing it to R2 since we get the ability for free (I think?) for those times you're bringing a Dancer

Dragner

I will hone it to R2 but there is no rush to it. If U Gigas or Leblanc Syndicate were now I would do it for sure but Next U Battles are mostly single target.

Balphon

Multi Break is a decent idea for Rufus/Dark Nation since it will hit their medal requirements and help with bursting down the dog.

On a side note, anyone happen to know if Vincent's RM2 is better than Irvine's?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom