• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy: Record Keeper |OT2| I HAVE NO MYTHRIL AND I MUST SHOUT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah for me the Tyrfing is enough for now...if Bahamut gives me a hard time i'll pull on Banner 2. I reckon some of these relics will reoccur at the Celebration banners in June.

Razmos

Got Desch's Sword from the FFIII banner. When, why and how would I ever use this? A magic based sword for a underutilized realm for a sub-par character with an Enthunder soul break that there is basically no point using because he isn't a physical character? Bah

Got Desch's Sword from the FFIII banner. When, why and how would I ever use this? A magic based sword for a underutilized realm for a sub-par character with an Enthunder soul break that there is basically no point using because he isn't a physical character? Bah

Pretty sure that Enthunder also boosts lightning damage from spells. Besides, he can use spellblades.

I got Ingus's shield on my 11-pull. As my second Hastega, it offers me some flexibility, especially because Sazh is always difficult for me to slot due to a lack of guns and stiff competition for daggers (I have Sephiroth's SSB, so he usually gets my dagger).

ccbfan

The beginner's pull is exactly that.

A beginner's pull. Great for someone starting out and giving them an extra bit of ompf.

When I first started I was amazed at a free unique SB 5* gear. Vets though were wailing on how terrible it was. I was recommended not to pull yet and wait to see how the rest of my gears after various fests and use it to cover holes. Now a few months later I know what they mean.

I'm probably not going to pull at all and if I do its for covering RS.

Even then I rather take my chances on a regular banner or RS reasons, plus with Japan guaranteeing a 5* pull and the new beginner's pull (both which hopefully we'll get) no brainer not to pull.

Negator

The beginner banner wasn't that great to begin with several months ago, by now it has been powercreeped out of usefulness. You're better off pulling on one of the more modern banners. I know the next FF9 Banners are somewhat hyped.

Say what you want about the best of the beginner banner, but the storm lance grimoire hits like a truck on lightning vulnerable bosses including ultimates and +s, can hit 40k damage if boosted/broken. I have sentinel and typically with tyro I'll go sg sg then finish the boss with the slg. Very powerful to have in the arsenal.

The rest of the options are pretty much just stat sticks. If you had two of any one of them, it would be worth getting the third to combine and augment and ultimately take to 5+++ when we get that ability in 5 months. Regardless of the sb, a 5+++ blade rod or staff is going to come in very handy in relic poor realms, which all but the whales have a few of.

ultra7k

Months ago, I opted to pull Cecil's Dark Sword from the beginner's banner, and had a slight case of puller's remorse, wondering if I should have gone with Tyrfing instead, but reasoned that III events would take place far less often than IV. On top of that, I had (still do) terrible IV synergy.

Yesterday, I pulled Luneth's Dagger on a 100 gem pull. This thing is pretty awesome.

Anustart

So I just beat the kraken on the 90 difficulty one, though barely. He hit like a truck. Luckily I had a traveller who paralyzed him twice.

I really want luneth mc2 but don't know if I'll be able to get it :(

Just a note to DeNA: I will take any of the white mage relics other than cyclone grimoire sentinel grimoire, and healing grimoire. kthx!

What I really want is a hypnocrown so I can combine for a 5++ and eventual 5+++. not a great sb at all, but I wear both crowns (haven't combined yet) to nearly every battle involving 2 mages.

Ultimate Cagnazzo + took me two attempts. Want to know what I did wrong in the first attempt? I remembered to bring Balthier but forgot why I was bringing Balthier. I didn't give him poison shell and my party ran out of steam at the end and I S/Ld but at that point I was like "I should just pois...oh oops". So I fixed that.

Another victory thanks to banner 5 and shout RW. Lightning's crushing blows were an extremely valuable source of damage during the surging phases and Garnet's divine guardian meant I could run with carbuncle/shellga to not really worry about the attacks or the stop counters (AoE Waterga was doing about 800 damage so a few ticks and healed up). Shame Garnet didn't really have much to do once she set things up.

Poison got the kill. Other party members were Ramza (breaks) and Agrias (Banishing Strike, Thundara strike).

As I said a few posts ago it is doable for me as I has just enough tools for the job but as my failed attempt showed, even with R4 abilities it is really easy to run out completely.

As for how the regular old ultimate went. I scumbagged it with advance+retaliate, magic lure and reflect (plus divine guardian for hastega) so no slow counters for me. I also had Selphie and her medica (the old one so no magic dodge). I had her using Thundaga for the first phase to get a second SB gague up...the spells themselves were doing less damage than normal attacks of Cloud under Advance status.

ultra7k

Garuda took more than a few S/L for sure. Had to walk away after a few tries when he started dropping my guys like flies.

In the end, if your ATB bar is high enough, you should be able to get the jump on him and quickly drop a SG or SS to quickly bring that damage down.

Takes some tries, but it's doable for sure.

Balphon

Garuda's damage output is closer to an ultimate's given his high speed and double moves. He's the most difficult pre-ultimate fight in quite some time, that's for sure.

WarAdept

Well I blasted through the U+ for Edea/Palom/Porom. The Ultimates were harder I felt.

5BEenbH.jpg

fzHEY7G.jpg

I wasn't expecting Ultima to go shitballs berserk sub 20%, but still managed anyway. Caz was fairly easy, one shot. Tyro was smacking him for 9.3k Swift Bolts, but I'm a stingy bastard and didn't want to hone the spell past 6 uses and wanted to see how far I could get away with it.

Turns out, I could. Bless you Thunder Rod/Kaiser Shield.

Falk

that puzzling face
Some RMs definitely help but this game really needs an autobattle setting that uses ability 1 then ability 2 then autoattack in that priority.

greyshark

Beat Cagnazzo over the weekend with a mage meta party. I had no 5* synergy weapons and only one 5*+ armor, and apparently like making things difficult for myself so didn't even bother trying to make a Shout team work. Poison was definitely MVP here, as I was too inconsistent with my timing of Cagnazzo's Tsunami mechanic. So many wasted casts of my various ice abilities ...

Using all mages meant I had decent RES to tank his water attacks - Wall+Shellga+Magic BD+SB RES Up meant he was doing pitiful damage (200-300 HP) as long as I prevented Tsunami.

Lenna was mostly useless after landing poison, my above defensive setup meant I was barely healing at all. I liked having a Medica in case I took a Tsunami, but this slot probably could have been filled with another damage dealer.

I didn't bother Dispelling Haste - Canazzo's speed was already so high it wasn't worth giving up the slot for a marginal decrease in his actions.

Ran out of Ice abilities at the end, and for some reason he kept going into his shell and stopped trying to cast Tsunami so I had to wait a bit to cast one final Thundaja (I had 3 left IIRC) to finish him off. Not the easiest of fights, but I liked the strategy I came up with in the end.

Yuna; Shiva R5 / Ramuh R5 / SSB
Rinoa: Blizzaga R4 / Thundaja R4 / Witch's Hat SB
Quistis: Blizzaja R3 / Thundaga R4 / SSB
Lenna: Curaja R4 / Poison R3 / Princess's Favor
Tyro: Magic Breakdown R3 / Swift Bolt R3 / Sentinel's Grimoire
RW: Focus

WarAdept

Some RMs definitely help but this game really needs an autobattle setting that uses ability 1 then ability 2 then autoattack in that priority.

Brave Exvius is kinda a good step in that direction at least. I just wish that when you press the Repeat button, it stays toggled like Auto.

Any tips for the gold knights then goldor? I just beat the knights. But 2 people dead and just about all abilities used.

Post your gear/strat and we'll see if we can help.

These "110" and "120" difficulty fights in the new event feel waaay more difficult than their supposed rating. Garuda just opened the fight by one-shotting a level 80 character. Okay then!

I beat Garuda in one try, but it definitely is a bit of a defense and speed check fight and you absolutely need to get shell, protectga and magic breakdown (or equivalents) off in the first round or two.

Odin fight is the same only without shell and replace magic breakdown with power breakdown.

I have Red XIII and his Diamond Pin so that helped a ton. Also Garuda can be super cheesed with Advance + Retaliate + Draw Fire. Once I got Draw Fire and Shell up he was useless.

Odin hits a bit harder, so you might need two physical reduction abilities and attack down.

Brandson

I beat Garuda in one try, but it definitely is a bit of a defense and speed check fight and you absolutely need to get shell, protectga and magic breakdown (or equivalents) off in the first round or two.

Struggling with Garuda here. 4 S/L so far. Each time he has killed someone before I've been able to get any actions off at all. Feels more like a RNG activity bar check.

hesho

geez.. i will never do that caganazzo fight again... what a RNG fest..

and garuda i think should be swapped with odin. He is way harder then the 110 difficulty it says he is... i personally S/L'd i think 6 times... With his difficulty, i am a little worried about the ultimates coming up then :(

Completed all the events so I went and did the classic dungeon update. Some of these new elite dungeons are just unfair. The game is getting to a point where you need multiple SSBs on your team if you want a chance at beating the boss.

The next festival can't come any sooner. I've got enough for one pull on each banner, and for one pull on the Serah banner that comes after it (I luh her).

Kyari

Oh wow, managed to pull off a Cagnazzo win by using the Carbuncle + Regen strat.

Rolled in with Carbuncle, Shellga, Magic Breakdown and AOE Regen. Opted not to use my wall, and instead had Tyro drop Stormlance Grimoire.

Tyro with Thundaja and Blizzaja, Stormlance Grimoire SB
Sephiroth with Poison and Life Siphon, Black Materia SSB
Agrias with Banishing Strike and Thundara Strike, no SB.
Ramza with Magic Breakdown and Swift Bolt, Tailwind (medica) SB
Yuna with Shellga and Carbuncle, AOE Regen shared SB.

Shout RW.

I had Sephiroth go down at the finish line but still had enough to Master it :D
SFuPgxp.png

LucaMac

Was thinking this myself. Would be a lifesaver on the tougher dailies. Though I thought the likely viable option would be RMs aka 'Use ability 1 instead of attack' or the like. I've been actually expecting something similar to drop soon.

Was thinking this myself. Would be a lifesaver on the tougher dailies. Though I thought the likely viable option would be RMs aka 'Use ability 1 instead of attack' or the like. I've been actually expecting something similar to drop soon.

And I wouldn't be surprised if they cleverly called it "gambit settings".

Here is a clever trick by tomzaD from FFRK subreddit (can work with Cagnazzo and possibly other bosses):

I don't know if this has been mentioned yet: Starting the fight with 3 full SB bars? You just start the fight, auto attack for a bit (since he hastes and does non-damaging moves), then you flee before you take damage. So after a few fights, you can start the fight off with 3 SB bars for everyone and just obliterate him. (Fight costs 1 stamina...)

I can't see myself doing that because it takes a while and I don't need it. I would just pay 1 Mythril and revive if needed. However, it could come handy to some. Looks like it amounts to 10 Stamina per full SB bar, less with the right RMs.

Here is a clever trick by tomzaD from FFRK subreddit (can work with Cagnazzo and possibly other bosses):

I can't see myself doing that because it takes a while and I don't need it. I would just pay 1 Mythril and revive if needed. However, it could come handy to some. Looks like it amounts to 10 Stamina per full SB bar, less with the right RMs.

I guess that works on ult +'s that 100% don't start with damaging moves

WarAdept

I can see that working Entrust + Wrath + Survival Instinct to pull off some absolute BSB/SSB shenanigans. But I don't have the patience to do such a thing. This game is already a time sink. And I've added Brave Exvius to the mix now. God help me when KH:U comes to Aus.

...Let alone my backlog on my consoles/PC.

Inbachi

Neo Member
Jeeze Cagnazzo was annoying as hell. Not really difficult but the way RNG could just fuck you over....so frustrating.

Pulled Luneth's SSB sword with a 3-draw so hopefully that will help with these next U fights.

Razmos

Finally getting around to finishing the FF4 event and fuck I remembered why I hate FF4 content so much. Fuck Baigan, honestly. The fucking arms regenerated less than a single action after I destroyed them, just as I was about to deal the killing blow, meaning 2 of my characters got wiped out because of stupid RNG bullshit.

All the FF4 content is annoying gimmicky trash but what do I expect coming from such a terrible game lol

Man Goldor hits like a truck (maybe because I am not bringing any mitigation, well except divine guardian an emergency shared SB protect...really should have bought SG as RW) and he can AoE silence, what an ass. Good thing he can be put to sleep but this has been the most S/L I've had to do on a boss rush in a long time.

Edit: So is Garuda aka I'm going to do 4 attacks before you can set up mitigation.

Finally getting around to finishing the FF4 event and fuck I remembered why I hate FF4 content so much. Fuck Baigan, honestly. The fucking arms regenerated less than a single action after I destroyed them, just as I was about to deal the killing blow, meaning 2 of my characters got wiped out because of stupid RNG bullshit.

All the FF4 content is annoying gimmicky trash but what do I expect coming from such a terrible game lol
50% chance of them regening if both arms are destroyed but only if both are destroyed. I do remember there was once a time when we were expected to fight Baigan with no visible HP bars. Still that bonus battle felt a bit lazy...ah make him the same as before but just give the arms loads of HP and call it a day.

Speaking of looking back on the past Hein is a good example. Lifesiphon kind of takes away the whole mega physical evade aspect of that boss. I remember when Hein first came about, MCs were new back then and unlocking some RMs required taking characters to specific boss battles Hein was one of those battles.

Edit: Another reminder of the past. In the days before Shellga Arc's default SB was amazing (it is Shellga).

Noi

Spent the past 3 hours trying to do Cagnazzo. This is the part where I throw in the towel for my first unbeaten U fight, cause this water cock isn't fun to fight at all.

Cagnazzo was a struggle, especially the RNG access of ice weakness. I imagine I could've brute forced him with a native shout team, but I did it - barely - the "right" way. Ran out of abilities at the end and, somehow, poison killed him after I ate a few tsunamis.

By far the least fun battle I've had.

rsniper59

Neo Member
Does FFRK introduce any variety in the weekly events in the future, something similar to the FFVII event that had a physical vs magical path, or the FFVI event that had a two-way path?

Honestly, the game feels really dull right now. Every event has been the exact same format for months, and the most significant recent change to normal gameplay is just giving incentive to play the daily (aka same every single time) dungeons.

I'd love to keep playing, but I find myself unmotivated to even login for the daily rewards recently with the sameness of everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom