• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy: Record Keeper |OT2| I HAVE NO MYTHRIL AND I MUST SHOUT

Status
Not open for further replies.
The variation in the weekly events will only be that some require you to complete the battles sequentially vs the regular/elite battles most do. No collections or anything really interesting. We will get the record dive bosses down the road and some mini challenges.

ccbfan

Diara vs Curaga

Whats better for the white mage nightmare?

Right now I have

R3 Diaga
R3 Curaja
R5 Curaga
R3 Curaga
R1 Diara

WarAdept

I've found that Cagnazzo is one of the most well designed and fun fights in RK to date. It reminds me of a raid boss in MMO's like WoW. Proper party composition, timing and attention to micromanagement really gets me going (which is why I still play RK, the whole nostalgia factor has long gone).

I really do hope that when the completely new story content comes and we move away from reliving the mainline FF game stories and bosses, that it continues down this path into it's own thing.

I've found that Cagnazzo is one of the most well designed and fun fights in RK to date. It reminds me of a raid boss in MMO's like WoW. Proper party composition, timing and attention to micromanagement really gets me going (which is why I still play RK, the whole nostalgia factor has long gone).

I really do hope that when the completely new story content comes and we move away from reliving the mainline FF game stories and bosses, that it continues down this path into it's own thing.

So what was your party composition to deal with your entire party being slept at 10%? Cagnazzo has a lot of good things, but has bullshit too.

Noi

I heavily disagree. It's one thing to have a boss that can ramp up, gain momentum and then be as crazy as he is (as previous U fights have done!), but it's another to have him dialed up to 11 right from the word go, potentially ending your attempts before most of your characters have even had a turn, or ending one even if you've taken perfect countermeasures up until that point with shit like AoE slow, AoE Sleep and Counter Stop.

I had too many attempts in a row where Cag would, without fail, swap to tsunami mode miliseconds after I'd commited to Ice attacks, wasting those abiloty charges. Hasting himself after my dispeller had started doing something else. Inveresely, I had runs where I'd sit there, waiting for a water gathering phase that never came, as I watched him pelt me with AoE wateras and run down my Hastega/Runic. That kind of sheer unpredictability has no place in a game with limited ability uses on top all the ways Cagnazzo will immediately end a good attempt by simply using one unwanted attack. If S/L wasn't a thing, people would have to wait out the daily friend summon reset rather than the stamina timer.

The older "hellish" Ultimate's all had patterns that you could use to win. Beatrix did her Climhazzards at fixed HP%. Vossler's CT0 always targetted the highest HP%. All threats, but nothing that you can't plan around. There's no planning around having your Thunder/Runic user slowed, then Stoped mid-SB SB cast.

The cagnazzo Ultimate + should have worked like the old rubicante Ultimate where every 3 turns was when water surged and made the counter aoe slow/sleep only happen if you hit a null element.

Inbachi

Neo Member
The ninja lightning skill and a Celes with native runic were the MVPs for me in the Cag fight. I'm not sure how I would have tackled it without runic.

WarAdept

So what was your party composition to deal with your entire party being slept at 10%? Cagnazzo has a lot of good things, but has bullshit too.

I posted my comp on the previous page, but here it is again:

fzHEY7G.jpg

I went for a mixed party comp (because I'm too cheap to hone multiple copies of Thundara Strike), which turned out to be a blessing in disguise, due to Cagnazzo only countering physical abilities in 2 forms. I actually didn't read up on the AI prior to doing the fight, and the only thing I've read about it is Falk's advice to wait after Cagnazzo does something for ~2-3 seconds on the lowest battle speed, due to his Tsunami form being an ATB interrupt.

I'm now looking at the AI thread on Reddit, and this seems like the most sound advice, along with probably not loading up too much on physical characters if you don't have Runic due to a 15% chance of Stop counters.

I do agree that his Slow spell is probably the biggest problem, as there seems to be no way to circumvent that unfortunately, due to it being AoE. Pray that you're in the 66.66% range of the RNG and don't get slowed.

Sleep is an abysmal 4.8% chance of casting in Normal/Shell form, so if you're unlucky enough to get that, I'm sorry.

The group Slowga is mitigatable with Haste. The Sleep isn't mitigatable--if you get smacked with it, then you die and it's out of your control because there are no major resist accessories for it. 5% is a lot for an enemy with 340,000 HP and a 0.8 second ATB meter, such that sleep is almost inevitable.

greyshark

To be fair it's pretty unlikely that your whole team would fall victim to sleep at the same time - I S/L'ed quite a bit on him and never had that happen to me.

The turns and damage medals in ultimate leviathan seem to be very forgiving, I didn't lose a medal on him. Now onto Bahamut. Would be nice to have even one outdated five star but oh well.

Balphon

Bahamut was significantly easier than I anticipated. Real straightforward after Caignazzo too.

Leviathan was a little harder since I'm stupid and didn't bring dispel.

FI6lfFE.png

Mastered Bahamut with this motley crew. Just realized I forgot to swap out Basch's shield after Leviathan, which I was using to take advantage of the +Holy damage. Fight is pretty straightforward but the damage is quite high--I cut it really close several times and would've found safety in a group cure. Bro hits for like 4.5k right out of the gate, so if you're bringing some support with less HP than that, good luck.

Inbachi

Neo Member
Bahamut was significantly easier than I anticipated. Real straightforward after Caignazzo too.

Leviathan was a little harder since I'm stupid and didn't bring dispel.

Ha, I forgot to bring dispel along too. Still mastered but it would have been easier if Leviathan didn't have haste and protect the entire fight! XD

Falk

that puzzling face
I had too many attempts in a row where Cag would, without fail, swap to tsunami mode miliseconds after I'd commited to Ice attacks, wasting those abiloty charges.

While the fight is heavily random, this is one of the controllable factors and should -never- happen.

It's a night and day difference on how much damage you do, which translates into both how long the fight lasts (leading to more RNG) and how honed your stuff has to be.

Finally got Bahamut with 2 medals lost. That's encouraging me for Kuja because you can only lose 2 medals on that U+ and my synergy for IX is almost as bad as in III. I killed it twice right after the 3rd Megaflare, looks like honing Aeroga Strike to R5 did the job, it was R4. Celes replenishing the other Aeroga Strike while absorbing Flare with Indomitable Blade was really helpful. This fight was frustrating for me while Cagnazzo+ was mastered with no S/L. I read a few people on Reddit mentioning that Bahamut is easier and I am not sure why.

Having 2 SSB on Lifesiphon characters (I have one) must make a huge difference for fights like this.

greyshark

Bahamut mastered - brought two white mages for the fight and it really helped keep my damage dealers healthy through his weak phases. I still lost Lightning at the end but had enough to finish him off anyway. Fight seemed like a DPS race to me. Aeroga Strike was great - had two copies at R4 and was doing 9999 per use under Shout.

WarAdept

I've never wanted to spend real money on an 11 pull more than to get Luneth's SSB right now.

The last time I felt like this was Vivi's SSB.

Anustart

Yay I beat Goldor. I'm behind the times so I had to use retaliate shenanigans to pull it off. Had to use 2 mythril to heal. 1 after the knights, one after fleeing from goldor.

Cloud was my retaliator, everyone else in back row. Goldor was down to 1 hit left, tyro dead, cloud full HP but everyone else critical.

Then the son of a bitch confused cloud and luneth. Everyone but cloud was blind as well. Luckily aerith hit cloud, he got an attack off to win. Hello level 80 luneth in 4 months when he gets there. Though this RM seems nice for spell blades.

Inbachi

Neo Member
I nabbed Luneth's SSB but haven't tried Bahamut yet. Should help out a lot though I'm thinking. Also, does Advance stack with Shout?

WarAdept

I nabbed Luneth's SSB but haven't tried Bahamut yet. Should help out a lot though I'm thinking. Also, does Advance stack with Shout?

It does but you're seeing about a 30% increase in damage over just using Shout alone due to hitting the buff soft cap (and hitting the attack soft cap as well). It's worth it if you have 3 gauges (Advance > SSB > SSB), but it's not a very good investment apart from that.

The complete lack of FFIII synergy was definitely felt during Bahamut, but I finally mastered him. I'm glad I held off on doing any pulls, because I was feeling tempted.

He wasn't really difficult but I wasn't doing enough damage to finish him off before his third megaflare. Too many times he was one or two solid hits away from dying then he used it, which was quite annoying. Had to tweak my team twice before finding the right mix, and even then I still had to restart a couple times. Just in time for double greens weekend too.

Dragner

I still have to master bahamut. Its costing me more that it should. My problem is I ran out of damage in the end. Will try go Yolo next.

Yeah Bahamut was pretty tough for me! Much harder than Cagnazzo who, I think the consensus was, is more of a gimmick/puzzle fight. Bahamut feels like a gear check - took me 3-4 party reworks to get it Mastered.

Leviathan is pretty much laughable even with Luneth and Ingus shoehorned in for the hell of it.

ZywaRV5l.png
eUJHx0tl.png

Onwards!

Dragner

Cagnazzo was really easy for me. Just 1 S/L because he slowed all my spellblades, next time full medals master.

Bahamut took me 10 S/L the equilibrium between attack and defense its hard because the dps against the third megaflare while managing to resist his turns of 2xAOE damage.

Also this battle shows why Selphie SSB is the best AOE heal in the game and is not even close.

Landed Ashe's BSSB inJP. was disappointed I didn't get a weapon in the draw, this armor and a generic bangle, but then realized it was the bssb and was pleased.

So now I have:
Bartz (awesome)
Sephiroth (ok, forgettable)
Aerith (awesome healing)
Ashe (tbd)

Pretty good mix. My A team in JP is Level 99 Bartz, Aerith, 3x broken Yhstola (SS) and then a grab bag of what I need from the other two characters, quite a few of all categories covered with ssbs.

ccbfan

LOL this Hit and Run tactic from Reddit just broke Ultimate+ (or any 1 stamina fight) where the first move is frequently a single hit or a non attack.

1. Have a Curaja character with spring RM. (Not needed if first move doesn't attack)
2. Have everyone attack and then heal with Curaja. (Not needed if first move doesn't attack)
3. Flee.
4. Keep SB meter
5. Repeat until desired SB meter.

Great for Cagnazzo (Too bad I already completed it), but for Bahamutt which I have no RS at all its great.

First benefit is now you can use other RMs besides SB ones or in my case have Tyro/Vanille use Knight's Charge/Ace Strike and basically have SB spam.

Allows for non LS characters with great SSB/SB, which in my case is Frans SSB. Pretty much means free All Breakdown lock.

Also for better skills instead of LS (as in 5* skills and weaknesses).

And most obviously, substancially increasing DPS

firehawk12

Subete no aware
LOL this Hit and Run tactic from Reddit just broke Ultimate+ (or any 1 stamina fight) where the first move is frequently a single hit or a non attack.

1. Have a Curaja character with spring RM. (Not needed if first move doesn't attack)
2. Have everyone attack and then heal with Curaja. (Not needed if first move doesn't attack)
3. Flee.
4. Keep SB meter

Great for Cagnazzo (Too bad I already completed it), but for Bahamutt which I have no RS at all its great.

First benefit is now you can use other RMs besides SB ones or in my case have Tyro/Vanille use Knight's Charge/Ace Strike and basically have SB spam.

Allows for non LS characters with great SSB/SB, which in my case is Frans SSB. Pretty much means free All Breakdown lock.

Also for better skills instead of LS.

Oh wow, I didn't even think you could cheese the fights like that but yeah. I guess you could just keep doing that to get full meters on everything.

it's a handy technique but it takes a long time. Personally, I'd rather just go into a battle, have everyone use LifeSiphon or whatever to build SB bars then die and contine with gems or a mithril. Much faster and you get a boost with it.

c-murph

3. Flee.
4. Keep SB meter

Also for better skills instead of LS (as in 5* skills and weaknesses).

Shhh... nobody say anything or they might patch it out.

Falk

that puzzling face
Full disclosure time:

Have no III synergy (no surprise), CBA rolling on III synergy, had second thoughts of blowing my Beginner Banner roll on Tyrfing too since BSSBFest is coming up way sooner than comfortable.

So I went into Ultimate+, built up my SB gauges like mad monkey (yay lifesiphon spam) then blew a Mythril continue and exploded him before he exploded me.

(Could also have gone with the Cura RM strat for building gauges, but really, I got better things to do with my time)

1 Mythril > 50 Mythril thanks.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
My 100gem pull last night was Luneth's Royal Sword. More synergy!

Would they patch it out? They would have to revert your state if you flee.
Given that they never patched out S/L (you really should just lose the stamina if you disconnect), I can't imagine they'd go out of their way to fix this.. considering only a small minority will use it.

Falk

that puzzling face
Well, rerolling friend summon list is a thing now.

I guess by 4th Anniversary we'll just have "start all 1stam fights with full SB gauge" as a feature.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Well, rerolling friend summon list is a thing now.

I guess by 4th Anniversary we'll just have "start all 1stam fights with full SB gauge" as a feature.

Wait, you can reroll the friend summon thing? How?
I've still been doing that FF4 battle to refresh the list. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom