• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy: Record Keeper |OT2| I HAVE NO MYTHRIL AND I MUST SHOUT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mastered the nightmare with the following team, no medals lost. Took one save/load.

13428531_10154943705733989_7990143723764396473_n.jpg

Couple things to note;
I have Garnets Ramuh Soul Break, which was perfect for making a Lighting orb in that phase. Entering the third phase of the boss fight, I had an ice orb out, and a powered up lighting and fire orb. Although I'm pretty sure I at least hit the fire orb with a third Ifrit but I didnt see it power up twice, which I read you could get three charges of. So thats kinda weird.
Lastly the double cast Summon(whatever its called blood of the summoner) record materia triggered for my Bahumut in the final phase, making the killing of all the summoned orbs that much easier.

The real trick to this battle is getting those elemental orbs out and killing them asap in that third phase. Thats the major gimmick to this Nightmare fight.

The luck draw netted me 3 5 stars,

Runeblade for Ashe
Airwing for Hope
Cyclone Grimoire for Tyro

Overall, I just like that sword. I dont know if the other two will ever come in handy.

Wazzy

Banned
Pulled nothing on Lucky Draw which is a first for me but totally fine with it. I'm gonna see how the nightmare fight is.

Kain

I got Tyro's........ last judgment thingy. It has the potential to be the worst SSB of the game, so congrats to me!

Got 3 new SBs from the lucky draw:
*A 5* natural weapon for FFVI...Enhancer. Limited number of users.
*A BSSB...that means one thing...Tiny Bee. Not what I expected to be my first BSSB.
*Aeriths SSB. Great an FFVII mag/mind stat stick at last and a reraise medica. I hope I never need to use this but like Flames of war it might save my bacon some time.

Faris, Krile, Relm, Quistis, Selphie.
If you add in Tyro you get the realization that half the whip users are children.

Not sure what you mean; you can't target AoE heals on enemies and Soothing Light has no damage component.

Be nice if it did, I have 4 of Arc's staves now.

Confirmed that you are correct. Soothing Light does not damage undead. It must be vestigial data in the json, because it has argument fields for both healing and damage similar to Phoenix Plunder (Locke), but its targeting fields are the same as other healing SB so it has no way to actually target an enemy.

This was my Neo Bahamut party:

This took me three tries. First time I used a Stoneskin RW and five summoners. I was able to get in two Swift Bolts and a summon from everybody when the magic orbs become targetable, but just barely couldn't kill them before Nightmare Gigaflare wipes my party. Second time I used a Lulu's Focus RW and the extra oomph let me destroy the orbs, but even with Shellga, +50% RES, and somebody using a group cure SB, I couldn't survive the megaflares long enough to defeat the boss. It probably would've worked if I fully powered the magic orbs, but I only got one to medium and the other two were small, because I pushed Neo into the final phase too quickly. Third time I just swapped Aeris for Y'shtola so that I could have my own Stoneskin while running a Focus RW, and that worked like a charm. I imagine you can defeat the orbs no problem if you have Haste(ga), summon (S)SBs, or Bahamut, though.

I drew a goose egg, my second one recently, neither of which were too bothersome.

Either way, hopefully we get the guaranteed 5★ update soon as part of our early QoL update schedule.

Fucking tripling down on my belief that the best use of mithril is stam refreshes/phoenix buffs.
Yeah, but I'd say it needs to be a healthy mix. Draw on special banners or where you lack synergy (without eyeing specific relics) and spend the rest on Orbs.

MiTYH

Got 2 5-stars, Ashe's sword and one of the grimoires for Tyro. I already had storm lace, so this is just... extra, I guess? *shrug* Still new, waiting for the event that should happen in a week or so to go all out. Happy with my recent pull of Edgar's Chainsaw though

MrDaravon

Nah

RESULTS:

0/11 WHM draw

1/11 Combat draw, dupe Buster Sword VII

2/11 SMN draw, dupe Keepsake Ribbon VII

and

and

lhC4OCul.jpg

YES IT'S NOT A VII DUPE

but wait

i had

OrQLrEgl.jpg

so it's kind of a VII dupe anyway

h1dXazq.png

I'd love to have either one of those :(

So turn that frown upside down Falk :D

Unrelated, but I can't believe we don't know when BSBfest is starting or have the banners translated yet. It's got to be any day now right? It seemed like most people were pegging the 27th as the start date, and that's in 8 days.

I'd love to have either one of those :(

So turn that frown upside down Falk :D

Unrelated, but I can't believe we don't know when BSBfest is starting or have the banners translated yet. It's got to be any day now right? It seemed like most people were pegging the 27th as the start date, and that's in 8 days.

Folks on reddit anticipate we should have info about it tomorrow evening at the latest.

Balphon

Confirmed that you are correct. Soothing Light does not damage undead. It must be vestigial data in the json, because it has argument fields for both healing and damage similar to Phoenix Plunder (Locke), but its targeting fields are the same as other healing SB so it has no way to actually target an enemy.

I believe it's also NAT where most similar SBs are WHT, so it's definitely a weird one.

c-murph

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! This changes EVERYTHING.

I have been giddy for the past half hour. I can't believe I was on the verge of not pulling in this Lucky Draw, after going 0/11 on my birthday last month.

Now I have the full Trinity + a number of Boostgas:
Wall: Sentinel's Grimoire (Tyro)
Hastega: Divine Guardian (Garnet)
Medica: Hymm of the Fayth (Yuna), Clear Tranquil (Yuffie), Healing Wind (Aerith)
Boost: Apocalypse Shield (Basch), Burning Arrow (Tifa), Soul Eater (D.Cecil), Fist of the Dawn (Galuf), Sunbath (Mog)

Congrats! It feels incredibly good, doesn't it?

So, much Green Jelly... Hopefully, next fest I can get Tyro's SG or BSSB with my Mythril.

Rydia's whip and a Mesmerize Blade for combining. Not bad. I can use both synergies. 1/11 ain't bad, really.

Welcome to the Whip club.

Faithless

Hey friends, I have a question about stacking.

If I use Shout, then War Dance, does War Dance's minor attack bonus negate the major attack effects of Shout?

Similarly, if I use Sentinel's Grimoire and then Rydia's Odin, does Odin's minor defense boost cancel Sentinel?

If I use Shout, then War Dance, does War Dance's minor attack bonus negate the major attack effects of Shout?

Similarly, if I use Sentinel's Grimoire and then Rydia's Odin, does Odin's minor defense boost cancel Sentinel?

Yes

No

Stat buffs and debuffs have different numbers in the system depending upon what areas they hit so war dance and shout have the same system number so one will always cancel out the other. Sentinel Grimoire and the Odin defense buff have different system numbers (1 being def/res the other being just def) so they do stack.

Shout's a +50% straight attack buff, and War Dance is, I think, +30%, so they won't stack. It will, however, stack with stuff like Basch's shield and Leon's Hand of the Emperor.

SG will stack with Odin, though. It's because SG is a +DEF/+RES, and Odin's just a +DEF. Basically, like buffs overwrite each other; if they're different, they'll stack. It's why Full Break (-ATK/-MAG/-DEF/-RES) stacks with the Breakdowns too.

Faithless

Shout's a +50% straight attack buff, and War Dance is, I think, +30%, so they won't stack. It will, however, stack with stuff like Basch's shield and Leon's Hand of the Emperor.

SG will stack with Odin, though. It's because SG is a +DEF/+RES, and Odin's just a +DEF. Basically, like buffs overwrite each other; if they're different, they'll stack. It's why Full Break (-ATK/-MAG/-DEF/-RES) stacks with the Breakdowns too.

So, it would be in my best interest to use a different AOE heal that didn't have an attack boost, after using Shout?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I got my third Gravity Rod (still not sure if I should 5++ it) and Rinoa's thing. Given some of the 0/11s, I guess I can't complain.

greyshark

Neo Bahamut was pretty easy - R5 3* summons, R4 Valefor/Maduin and R1 elemental summons to fill out the rest of my slots was plenty. I brought Diaga on Aeris which was a total waste - 3400 damage per cast and I can use it 2-3 times max. Haste is mandatory to power up the orbs, but all in all pretty straightforward.

Czarcasm

Still working on Neo Bahamut, things keep happening at exactly the wrong time, that or he does 3 megaflares in a row.

For the lucky draw, I got Rinoa's Rising Sun and Yuna's Tiny Bee

Took down the brothers ultimate today. Vargas was all preparation, no S/L just went in, charged SBs on ipoohs and went to town.

Three stooges took two S/L (the first two times they focus fired a character). Third time I took them down with only 1 revive. Walloped on Larry while doing minimal damage to the others hoping that if he got revived I could get an instant KO.

Well he died and while I was evenly taking down the others Larry revived. Literally the first attack on him was from my zantetsuken attacker. Followed by an instant death.

Smooth sailing after that.

Oh and today you learned this: Yesterday was Moe Howard's birthday (moe of the three stooges fame) He would have been 119 years old. Still hilarious, and obviously remembered By the localization team of FF6.

Do SBs count towards 'magic'? Just checking for Neo Bahamut; if you use something that's inherently magical (like Ashe's Holy SB, or Terra's Fire/Water ones), does it count?

greyshark

Do SBs count towards 'magic'? Just checking for Neo Bahamut; if you use something that's inherently magical (like Ashe's Holy SB, or Terra's Fire/Water ones), does it count?

I believe if it's 'NAT' type (not specifically called out as Black magic) then it's ok - but you don't get the bonus damage unless the SB is of 'SUM' type (and probably won't be worth it).

Balphon

SBs have types just like normal abilities. Those SBs for Ashe and Terra are all BLK, so they will fail that medal condition.

Don't remember last time where I had nothing better to do than farming Fire/Earth daily... Ark in Nightmare can drop Major Summon Orb but drop rate is low and boss is annoying.

Anyone feel like they won't be able to do the first U+ Cid's Mission? I have no special SB for X, I have Jecht Rush, Focus and The Sending. For relics with good attack I have Variable Steel at 196 ATK, the free dagger at 189 ATK then it goes to Nodachi ++ at 160. Focus will help against Jecht Rush but for once the boss does mainly physical attacks... So many people have HotF, that will sure be helpful. I will have to go with a shared medica. Not looking forward to it and looking forward to it at the same time. That AoE Slow will be brutal...

Anyone feel like they won't be able to do the first U+ Cid's Mission?
I'm not drowning in X relics like I am with 4, 6, 7 and 9, but I still have a decent relic spread: Force Sabre (Tidus's Jecht Shot SSB), Lightning Steel (Slice & Dice), Lullaby Rod (HotF), Mage's Staff (Shared Medica), Celebration Blade, Emerald Bracer, 4*++ Nodachi, 4*++ Wizard Armlet, 4*+ Bright Armguard.

Hopefully I can pull it off.

Balphon

I'm going to try the Cid Mission but I'm not exactly optimistic. My FFX synergy is poor to the point where I am considering drawing on this first banner; the only bad relic on it is Yuna's.

Rather annoying that the boss is weak to holy and FFX is one of two realms with no one over 3* knight.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I guess this is what I get for never making any summons. Then again, the only reason to complete this stuff is for the sake of completing it since making a 6* summon seems kind of impractical anyway. lol

Bahamut was a fun fight. I used:
Aeris ramuh r5 valefor r5 healing wind sb
Arc ifrit r5 Shellga healing sb
Terra shiva r5 Bahamut r3 freebie witches hat sb
Yuna curaja protecga hotf
Tyro phantasm and mana peaon sentinel grimoire, celebration grimoire.

So. Four of five characters had a healing sb available on demand, only needed hotf. Rolled with old sazh for the rw for the haste. Pretty simple but fun, only one sl needed. Phantasm did a striking amount of damage.

I don't think cids will be at bad for me. I don't have any x ssbs but I do have a katana three swords a dagger and a lullabye rod oh and a mog doll for offense. We shall see.

Kain

The dailies city feels so peaceful. No more mythril grinding, just easy dailies. Agh, so much peace.

PS: My X synergy is shit, so I expect to get rekt

Dragner

I have synergy enough to master U and U+, probably not enough for Cid mission with a shared heal and a shared boostga as stellar relics. At least I have native hastega that is nice, so I can RW wall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom