• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy: Record Keeper |OT2| I HAVE NO MYTHRIL AND I MUST SHOUT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Faithless

So, the Lucky Rainbow Pulls have been very generous.
I have a large number of Relic Weapons now, thanks to this fantastic event.
Here's my question, GAF:
Which of these should be my roaming warrior now?

Y'shtola (Stoneskin 2)
Golbez (Blank Fang)
Ashe w/ Runeblade+ (Northswain's Glow)
Sephiroth (Shadow Flare)
Tifa (Somersault)
Selphie (Trabia's Light)
Tyro (Healing Grimoire, Cyclone Grimoire)

Since I have millions of gil now from farming orbs, I don't really need the money. What best services the community?

MicH

So, the Lucky Rainbow Pulls have been very generous.
I have a large number of Relic Weapons now, thanks to this fantastic event.
Here's my question, GAF:
Which of these should be my roaming warrior now?

Y'shtola (Stoneskin 2)
Golbez (Blank Fang)
Ashe w/ Runeblade+ (Northswain's Glow)
Sephiroth (Shadow Flare)
Tifa (Somersault)
Selphie (Trabia's Light)
Tyro (Healing Grimoire, Cyclone Grimoire)

Since I have millions of gil now from farming orbs, I don't really need the money. What best services the community?
Ashe in my opinion. AoE non-elemental magic + AoE heal is very useful

TheExodu5

Banned
Didn't do too bad. I'm in a much better position than I was prior to the lucky draws.

Healing Grimoire x2 (useless)
Crystal Glove (amazing in FF VII content)
Rising Sun
Keepsake Ribbon (best pull. Game changer for physical damage)
Storm Staff (very nice for a Summoner/White Mage hybrid)
Zwill Crossblade (not sure how useful this one will be)

Keepsake Ribbon has proven to be the most useful thing here. Since I also just pulled Storm Staff, I think I'll often be rocking a dual White Mage party. Planet Protector means than physical damage is a lot more attractive to me at this point. Double Damage is no joke. Since I also have Wakka's Official Ball, Crystal Glove, and Blazefire Saber, I can dish out some pretty ridiculous SB damage if I chain them properly.

Vorpal

7A8HSN6.jpg

Scraping the bottom of the barrel here with leveling. I really could have planned this better

So good!

Sometimes I wonder if I should not throw a 5 person party out there and roll with 2 or 3 to level certain characters faster

But then I realize it's all the same amount of xp in the end anyway

...at crunch time I'll probably resort to it for certain characters.

broz0rs

Because of the nice loot and power leveling possible from this event, I was able to finish my first ever boss rush! I also decided to take a crack at getting Cloud's MC2 and mastered it in my first try. Having started playing three months ago, I finally feel I'm able to catch up to the game's current standards. This event has been a godsend.

ugh, I need loads of weapon upgrade materials
The FFXIII+++ battle had the regular supply of 20 of the 5* ones in Japan so if you can wait a little bit..
However, the FFVII event just had 8 greater power robs instead so it isn't a certainty...unless that was something that specific event also did in Japan.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Is it more efficient to grind the easier orbfest stages if you want Greater/Major? Cactuar/Gigantuar drop Greater/Major regardless of difficulty and it's less Stam for easier levels. Is the proportion of Cactuar/Gigantuar appearances lower at easier levels?

Falk

that puzzling face
Is it more efficient to grind the easier orbfest stages if you want Greater/Major? Cactuar/Gigantuar drop Greater/Major regardless of difficulty and it's less Stam for easier levels. Is the proportion of Cactuar/Gigantuar appearances lower at easier levels?

From what I understand, the rate they appear is proportional to the stam, so the easiest one (3 stam/stage) has their appearance rate at 1/5 of Heroic, etc.

I wonder, if the power creep continues, will we get a second Record Materia slot?

I would highly expect this if the core class "can now use 5* <school>" RM comes to pass.

But not before break damage limit. Everything is already pushing against the cap significantly. Giving yet another avenue to multiplicatively stack stats would be silly.

Does anyone ever get to that point you forget that cactors and gigantors are the goal and you're just focused on grinding exp? Its been so long since I saw either I kinda forgot

Good question. The inspector data is not really statistically significant for lower difficulties (<30 runs recorded compared to the 500+ heroic has) but here is a csv dump of all the recorded orb dungeon runs so far if you want to study for yourself:
http://pastebin.com/X8NeaDWA
There is a French player using the inspector which is why drop and dungeon names are sometimes French (which might make combined analysis a pain). A quick glance seems to be confirming what Falk says. Of course Cactuar rates in heroic are camouflaged somewhat by them also dropping 3* orbs. Inspector only records drops sadly, rather than mobs.

However, harder will be better in the long run when orb combining comes out. For example it will take 1000 1* orbs+gil to make one 4* orb (got in 500 stamina of runs) but only 10 3* orbs+less gil (got in 25 stamina of runs). For both those stamina of runs counts I'm ignoring Cactuar/Gigantuar completely though.

edit: I should really bench Kimahri. I wanted his RM2 to drop and he is level 60 now. This is Josef levels of stamina (but less runs of course due to more EXP). I assumed he would be quick like Ricard.
I'm never using these RM2

Jyrii

Banned
Does anyone ever get to that point you forget that cactors and gigantors are the goal and you're just focused on grinding exp? Its been so long since I saw either I kinda forgot

Well my goal currently is xp. Greater orbs is a nice bonus. Major orb drops are so rare that I won't be able to create new skills quite yet.

Some people filling the Welcome Pack form a month after it expired already received it while some like me who did it in time still have nothing... I don't get it. Looks like writing to them to ask what's up might help but a lot of people are receiving a "be patient we send them in order", which I don't believe.

Razmos

I've encountered about 5 or 6 Gigantuars this phase already, with only one mythril refresh, and every single one of them has given me a greater orb.

Vorpal

Sometimes I wonder if I should not throw a 5 person party out there and roll with 2 or 3 to level certain characters faster

But then I realize it's all the same amount of xp in the end anyway

...at crunch time I'll probably resort to it for certain characters.

Yeah, true enough. I'm just a sucker for the placebo effect of seeing EXP bars fill more quickly. At the point of leveling nothing but cores/underpowered characters though I guess it does make more sense to just fill the party and hope the majority survive.

Such disrespect for Team Gordon.

*shakes fist*

My deepest apologies to Team Gordon. I like your capes!

Razmos

The x2 Exp record materia cannot come soon enough

Also a new log in bonus for JP:
The bow is another soul break weapon for Ranger.

Speaking of, are we going to be getting the White Mage/Black Mage 5* weapons some time soon?

Oh Lordy, I might end up spending money once FFT arrives. Why do the enemies' heads look so small though?

Also, should I combine my two Valkryie's into a 6*? I also have Fuujins Chakram and I doubt I'll use three thrown weapons characters. I guess it might be nice to keep them separate for the "only ranged weapons" bosses but in that case, I'd probably just use mages with staffs or rods.

Falk

that puzzling face
Also, should I combine my two Valkryie's into a 6*? I also have Fuujins Chakram and I doubt I'll use three thrown weapons characters. I guess it might be nice to keep them separate for the "only ranged weapons" bosses but in that case, I'd probably just use mages with staffs or rods.

I know this is like a broken record, but what are your other mage weapons like?

Balphon

Oh Lordy, I might end up spending money once FFT arrives. Why do the enemies' heads look so small though?

I'd combine them unless you plan on using Hope and Rinoa at the same time.

I'm already at the same number of Major Orbs as last phase (five).

Of course, this is day one of four (?) and I haven't used as many refreshes yet.

Edit: Never mind, I'm now ahead at six. <3

MrDaravon

Just saw the notification about the Hope event starting tomorrow. If I'm still in the early game is there anything in particular I should be doing ahead of time to prepare? I still don't even have most of the 13 levels unlocked, only have Snow >_>.

Narag

Just saw the notification about the Hope event starting tomorrow. If I'm still in the early game is there anything in particular I should be doing ahead of time to prepare? I still don't even have most of the 13 levels unlocked, only have Snow >_>.

They added quests today to obtain Lightning and Sazh. Otherwise, take your strongest crew in and go as far as you can.

MrDaravon

They added quests today to obtain Lightning and Sazh. Otherwise, take your strongest crew in and go as far as you can.

Yeah, I only have the stage unlocked for the Lightning quest, but not sure I can even do it yet (it's difficulty 43, I've got 4 characters at 39-40).

Falk

that puzzling face
I'm already at the same number of Major Orbs as last phase (five).

Of course, this is day one of four (?) and I haven't used as many refreshes yet.

Edit: Never mind, I'm now ahead at six. <3

I guess it's technically day 2 of 4. You posted almost 25 hours after the phase started.

Every Gigantuar I've encountered so far this phase has dropped a Major Orb, and I haven't even done any Mythril refreshes yet. Feels good.

Kaiterra

Banned
Leveling Cecil is bringing me to my breaking point with this event. All the other physical attackers I was leveling were able to clear out a wave with Bladeblitz but he always leaves one enemy hanging on by a thread.

Is it worth leveling Mog? I don't know if having a Dancer is worth anything.

I think he'll become more useful when he gets his magic/power down dances. As of right now he's a decent white mage who you can put in the back row with fighter-gear and Jump. Curaga is still pretty effective even without high Mind, but I wouldn't put Diaga on him. He's serviceable but not great, and does fill a role that can make your party options more flexible.

Yeah, I only have the stage unlocked for the Lightning quest, but not sure I can even do it yet (it's difficulty 43, I've got 4 characters at 39-40).
The lightning and sazh quests are the Classic difficulty versions of those dungeons. This is kind of annoying if you've recently cleared those dungeons.

Speaking of difficulty levels I don't know if you noticed but FFVI is quite odd in that its first batch of dungeons in elite are tough and use loads of stamina (many people also felt Mt Kolts was harder than its difficulty of 51 implies) whereas the batch starting with the phantom train up to floating continent 2 is difficulty 26-41 and gives out loads of stamina shards too.

The lightning and sazh quests are the Classic difficulty versions of those dungeons. This is kind of annoying if you've recently cleared those dungeons.

Speaking of difficulty levels I don't know if you noticed but FFVI is quite odd in that its first batch of dungeons in elite are tough and use loads of stamina (many people also felt Mt Kolts was harder than its difficulty of 51 implies) whereas the batch starting with the phantom train up to floating continent 2 is difficulty 26-41 and gives out loads of stamina shards too.

Thats because those dungeons used to be end game at launch so they were intentionally made really hard, they were supposed to have been rebalanced once later content came out but Mt Kolts seems to have been forgotten in that

Falk

that puzzling face
I think it simply boils down to a gaffe in the large scale of things and DeNA were figuring out what they wanted to do with the game.

Sorta like how events eventually made way to Challenge Events only, and then got refined into having a boss rush and superboss instead of an insurmountable wall at the end of the Elite track.

Also how RS was actually something they came up with later despite being something that adds a lot of depth/complexity(/frustration/pointless UI dicking) to gear progression.

I think it simply boils down to a gaffe in the large scale of things and DeNA were figuring out what they wanted to do with the game.

Sorta like how events eventually made way to Challenge Events only, and then got refined into having a boss rush and superboss instead of an insurmountable wall at the end of the Elite track.

Also how RS was actually something they came up with later despite being something that adds a lot of depth/complexity(/frustration/pointless UI dicking) to gear progression.

I miss the survival and collection events they added a nice variety

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom