• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy: Record Keeper |OT2| I HAVE NO MYTHRIL AND I MUST SHOUT

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZangBa

Managed Ifrit with my A-Team. My only piece of FFVIII synergy is a single Revolver, like, I don't even have an upgraded 4* relic from drawing all this time lol. The beginning is just pure RNG, trying to survive while putting up mitigation, really annoying.

Pretty much never going to bother trying the CM. Not worth the headache and maybe not even possible with my synergy.

Balphon

Managed to cobble together some nonsense to beat Ifrit but it was easily the most difficult challenge the game has presented in some time.

CM is asking too much at the moment. Maybe in 6 months.

Allowed myself to fall behind on housekeeping just so I could throw an FF8 party at Ifrit for two hours. Many attempts were inches from victory, so I believe I can finish the quest before the event is through if I get luck on my side. The major issue is when he connects with two consecutive Meteors, which are really nasty.

I gave up after that two hours and mastered it on my first try with a goofy party:

5qaJI0h.png

Limit breaks used: Enochain Blizzaja, Stoneskin, Indomitable Blade, Dreamstage, Canister Shot

Papalymo is a bro. When Inaugural Parade and En-Ice were active, Enochain Blizzaja was hitting for like 35k. I think I can make a stronger party than this, but I blew all of my favorite RWs with my FF8 attempts, so I made Selphie a shitty black mage instead. Papalymo can cap Blizzaja with his En-Ice effect alone.

Defeated Ifrit after much save scumming. Lots of clutch Punches and gravity Flames while charging up Dreamstage. This was the party I had the most success with in previous attempts, though I swapped Selphie's Mako Might for Lionheart. I think it got me one more Dreamstage, so that gives me a tiny edge.

Limit breaks used: Freezing Barrage (32k with Shout), Shared First Aid (group Cure), Dreamstage, and Canister Shot.

Anyway, missed two damage and a speed medal. Piercing Strike is pretty cool here, and I wish FF8 had a ninja. I also wish FF8 had a second White-4 character, though that will change once we have enough Motes for Quistis and are willing to spend them on her.

Really, the big issue is how quickly Ifrit can crank out Meteors in the time it takes to cast a soulbreak. Even if you're casting two regular Curaja/Curaga, that still leaves other characters who are probably going to die... Curaise might be a decent idea if I had honed it. You can deal with the Meteor damage by having Wall, which knocks it down to a far more manageable 1.9k or so, but without a way to boost everybody's damage and keep the party Hasted there's no chance you'll kill Ifrit in 50 seconds. I feel like if I had Zell's boostga or Edea's Hastega then I could've gone with a Wall RW and this encounter would be a lot easier.

Falk

that puzzling face
Yyyyyup. Can't Cid's Mission Ultimate+, can't beat Ifrit.

Defo feeling the unlucky streak pinch this time around hahaha.

edit: Doped up with 1 Mythril for CM Bahamut U+. No Regerts

Yyyyyup. Can't Cid's Mission Ultimate+, can't beat Ifrit.

Defo feeling the unlucky streak pinch this time around hahaha.

Ifrit's an absolute monster and I have no idea how anybody could Cid Mission him without Dreamstage. My FF8 synergy has been built up over time and I still struggled signifiucantly--this was not an easy clear.

My FF8 gear in chronological order:

SeeD Uniform - A Planted SeeD
Running Fire - To Slay a Sorceress (Returned)
Sheepskin Coat - To Slay a Sorceress (Returned)
Valiant (Irvine) - Gunblade of the Sorceress
Esthar Bracers - Gunblade of the Sorceress
Inferno Fang - Gunblade of the Sorceress
Blitz Sword - Off-banner
Betrayal Sword - Beginner's Choice
Crescent Wish (Selphie) - BSB Fest
Ulysses (Irvine) - Rains of Ruin
Vega (Laguna) - Rains of Ruin

I've done a 50 Mythril pull on every FF8 event except one so far. I have this weird relationship with FF8 where I hate playing it, but it has some of my favorite characters in the series, so I want to have items for those characters in FFRK. Unfortunately, until recently, I always procured generic and shared relics from FF8 banners. Meanwhile, I have shitloads of off-banner FF7 stuff I was never even trying for.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Is the new Irfrit fight with the special class materials a DPS check? Shout was basically not working for me at all, with my "A" team only dealing like 5k damage per SSB strike. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, unless this is an anti-physical boss...

Is the new Irfrit fight with the special class materials a DPS check? Shout was basically not working for me at all, with my "A" team only dealing like 5k damage per SSB strike. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, unless this is an anti-physical boss...
It is DPS in the sense if you RW wall you have 50 seconds or you will die.

As for anti physical 336200 HP, 3848 Def AND Res...oh 650 speed too. Now you physical guys know how mage meta feels. Get that armour break in to do like 10% more damage.

Future mote dungeons are not only easier but have better rewards (it's like that with most things in the game though, like how hard for it's time was say Parade Float and it rewarded 2 greater summon orbs, the ice ring and a fucking greater growth egg...not even major...).

Future mote dungeons are not only easier but have better rewards (it's like that with most things in the game though, like how hard for it's time was say Parade Float and it rewarded 2 greater summon orbs, the ice ring and a fucking greater growth egg...not even major...).

If this is the case, and they saw that this first one was a bit overdone (also made easier later bosses), you would think they would make Motefrit a bit more reasonable on Global.

My damage output against Ifrit is way too low. I've got stoneskin II, trabia's light, shout, and song of swiftness, and having tried a few different configurations can't even come close.

A support is necessary and in a mage meta team Edward is a liability for not contributing any damage, and in a shout team I can either bring Yshtola as my WHM and go without a medica, Selphie and go without a Wall, or both and lower my DPS. Pulled a Sentinel's Grimoire during the last fest and I think I'm going to have to try mastering that and bring in Tyro instead of Yshtola, so I can leave Selphie on healing and have all physical damage dealers.

Not sure that I even see a way to pull off the cid mission. I'll have to keep an eye on here and reddit to see what kind of shenanigans people come up with.

edit: I think I need to try mage meta again with RW Rinoa BSB instead of opting for mitigation/healing RWs. A multi-hit ice SB is bound to do more damage than anything else I have in my arsenal and the burst commands should help a bit with making my abilities last.

greyshark

Beat the Ifrit CM last night - used a team similar to one I used for the CM U+ clear. Mighty Guard was absolutely essential - having a native Hastega meant I could RW Wall, and with every level of mitigation I had available to me I was still being hit with 1k+ damage from his strongest attacks. Getting Shell for free enabled a slot for Faith, which really helped my damage output as well. I had Fire Resist accessories on all but Rinoa (used +45 MAG accessory for her), I'm not sure how much it helped since he'd cast Gravity attacks and Meteor so often later in the fight.

Irvine: Magic Breakdown R4 / Full Break R2 / No SB
Edea: Memento Mori R3 / Dark Zone R2 / No SB, RS Stat stick (was hitting for 14k per DZ and 8k per MM after the boost/mitigation)
Rinoa: Blizzaga R4 / Shiva R5 / Wishing Star SSB
Selphie: Curaja R5 / Faith R4 / Trabia's Light SB
Quistis: Blizzaja R4 / Mental Breakdown R4 / Mighty Guard SSB
RW: Wall

ultra7k

Whew, Ifrit one of the more challenging fights in the last little while for obvious reasons.

Went in with Mage Meta, which is not something I've done since getting Shout from the FFT event.

Ran out of ability usage with Ifrit down to about 10% remaining, and was lamenting not having Red XIII's restore ability in my party.

Party composition, all at Level 80.

Rinoa - Wishing Star
Terra - Blood of Espers BSB
Garnet - Divine Guardian
Edea - Inagural Parade
Tyro - SG
RW - SSII

All members had moderate to major fire resist accessories equipped.

Used the following abilities - Blizzaja R3 x2, Waterja R3, Flare R2, Blizzaga R3, Shellga, Curaga R5, Curaja R4, Full Break R2, Magic Breakdown R2.

Once mitigation was up (FB, MBD, Shellga, SSII/SG) Ifrit's DPS became pitiful. Meteor was hitting for roughly 800 or so, and his mass firaja or whatever only hit for about 400.

Blizzaja was hitting for Cap, Flare for about 8400. Waterja about 5400, and Blizzaga for 6000.

The danger came in his punches which he would sneak in as SG or SSII wore off, and his occasional fire whirwind attack which I can't recall the name of which would hit for a decent amount.

As I said, I ran out of abilities with about 10% left, and relied entirely on physical attacks, and damaging soul breaks.

Rinoa's Wishing Star hit for about 2.5k per hit, and Terra's Blood of Espers was doing around 1.2-1.4k per hit. Ended up finishing him off with Wishing Star.

Ended up getting mastery and not losing a single party member, though I lost 2 medals due to Actions and 1 for Damage.

Overall a fun fight, I might try the CM in a a bit.

Did it, holy hell that was tough with a ton of different configurations and only successful bc he failed to dump meteors on me at the end.

Rinoa shiva r5 blizzaga r4 attunement 2 no sb mag 435
Irvine full break r2 mental breakdown r3 no sb
Quistis blizzaja r4 Magic breakdown r4 dr mog mighty guard ssb mag 413
Edea flare r3 Mori r2 mako might March sb mag 448
Selphie curaja r5 protecga r3 lion heart dreamstage ssb
Rw: rinoa bssb

Basically once I fired off the breaks and pre loaded sbs, I hit the rw with rinoa and Mori with edea, the the 2nd rw with edea and hit ifrit with basically 40k in damage from edea and rinoa for 4 turns or so tossing in a 10k blizzaja 2 of 3 turns. Got really really lucky, I ate so many ohk firajas before setting up the fight. Final battle he used his last turn for a physical strike and I exhaled.

My relics were two rods and a whip and a Laguna gun for Irvine so I have a ton of mag to toss around, not to mention the cowboy hat 4++ and the edea hat. Accessories were all fire resist.

Kouriozan

As expected, Ifrit hard mode is the only content I can't do for now, but I'm fine with this since power creep will take care of that in 4 months if I don't complete it earlier.

Did my last 50 pull fr a while in Jp land on the first v banner nettg me galufs bssb and dornans ssb sword. Interestingly my v weapons with rs attack are 4+++ axe at 225 then the new hammer and sword at 222 and bartz bssb sword and the other axe at 216. Crazy how that 3rd combine bumped the axe to the top even a few months later.

I have osb for tidus, fully augmented with 194 atk, 322 in X dungeons

I have bssbs for
Sephiroth
Galuf
aeris. (My favorite bsb, never leaves party)
Ashe
Bartz
Shadow

Ssbs for
Locke
Aeris
Laguna x2
Selphie
Krile
Porom
tellah 5+
Auron 5+
yda
Ramza 5+++ (pulled 3 plat swords in the latest tyro draw)
Agrias
Wol
Kain
Zack
Yuffie 5+
Red
Zidane
Lightning
Vincent
Edea
Fran
Sephiroth
Garnet
Kuja
Cid
Ex death 5+

I think that's all of them...I have no clue and haven't actually used most of these other than to master for the stat ups.

And then a slew of regular sbs and shared sbs, including both sg and ss2.

Crazy town, not a dime spent, playing since last September, iirc

Falk

that puzzling face
If this is the case, and they saw that this first one was a bit overdone (also made easier later bosses), you would think they would make Motefrit a bit more reasonable on Global.

And then you'd endure a lot of bitching about how FFRK Global isn't exactly the same as JP and how DeNA is sabotaging everything yadda yadda.

LucaMac

Crazy town, not a dime spent, playing since last September, iirc

We must have started Japan about the same time. Similar situation I'm in too. Squalls OSB and too many BSSBs and SSBs to count. Aeris' BSSB should be illegal. It's insanely good. Even Ultimate++ is stupidly easy with it. Casting the attack move on herself if theres breathing room to up her mind and then spamming the defend for 2000+ heal to all every single turn just takes the piss. As soon as it runs out it's pretty much ready to cast again (I leave knights pride on her always for that reason)

Back in global Ifrit keeps stomping even my A team. Definitely doable just need to tweak things. Cid mission is definitely a no go without either Mighty Guard or Dreamstage (both would be nice) Even seifers coat can't save me.

Finally mastered Ifrit with this team. Rinoa's BSB RW was a game changer, although even with that he was a total bastard. Two WHM, one with a wall and the other with a medica, and he still would murder my team, especially near the beginning when setting everything up. Initially tried using the BSB on both of my offensive mages to burst him down as fast as possible since his heavier attacks unlock after a certain number of turns - none of them are based on his HP %, so it didn't make sense to wait until the end to go all out. Couldn't keep the team afloat this way though and had to instead alternate the BSB with one mage using it to burst him down and the other using Drainga to self heal and take some of the load off of my white mages.

My first attempt using the BSB I got him down to a sliver of health which made it seem pretty easy. I figured that doing the cid mission might actually be doable. After many S/L dealing with a stupid amount of RNG, I'm not so sure anymore. It does look like someone on reddit pulled it off with no unique SBs, so that gives me some hope.

Balphon

My first attempt using the BSB I got him down to a sliver of health which made it seem pretty easy. I figured that doing the cid mission might actually be doable. After many S/L dealing with a stupid amount of RNG, I'm not so sure anymore. It does look like someone on reddit pulled it off with no unique SBs, so that gives me some hope.

He used a BSSB RW strat. It'd be doable with a lot of scumming and some mage weapons since you'd have basically no defense for Meteor and would need to be able to burst him down in 30~ seconds.

Falk

that puzzling face
I have a billion non-unique 5*s for VIII - SeeD uniform, Esthar Bracers, Blitz Sword, Betrayal Sword, some random fist.

But none of them are mage.

I've been using two (lol) 3++ (lol lol) nunchucks from event rewards.

Not cutting it, heh. Will come back later.

He used a BSSB RW strat. It'd be doable with a lot of scumming and some mage weapons since you'd have basically no defense for Meteor and would need to be able to burst him down in 30~ seconds.

Yeah, it seems like it would be a nightmare, but I'll probably give it a few attempts. Need to farm for that Doublecast WHM RM first since I still don't have it and it looks like the best RM to use if you're stuck with a single healer.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
It is DPS in the sense if you RW wall you have 50 seconds or you will die.

As for anti physical 336200 HP, 3848 Def AND Res...oh 650 speed too. Now you physical guys know how mage meta feels. Get that armour break in to do like 10% more damage.

Dope, so this is a pure mage meta check? I wonder if I should even bother... I basically gave up honing spells once Shout came out. lol

WarAdept

Well I did it. Beat CM Mote Ifrit with just Trabia Light as my Unique SB.

I was lucky enough to pull Rinoa's BSB for 5 mithril when the Seifer event came out but that was basically my only pure Mage weapon, alongside Selphie's first stick (but that's geared towards Mind). So I wasn't confident with running a full Mage team with Song of Swiftness. Got the bright idea of running triple Sorceress Awakening (Rinoa's native/RW for Quistis and Edea). This was my initial setup:

o8DSQLl.jpg

It was a 2hr S/L fest. The best runs (when Irvine didn't crumple like the wet paper bag he is, holy shit is he bad) got Ifrit down to ~15-20% but then I'd run out of juice. Got frustrated with how easy it was for this team to die, so I slept on it and then woke up with the idea of a tank:

YDlh58X.jpg

Seifer Defending with dual Lures made for easy healing for Selphie. But I wasn't doing great damage. I barely got him to around ~40%-50% before I ran out of BSB/casts. Edea wasn't doing as much damage without Mental Breakdown and Rinoa's BSB was so weak if I used Dr Mog, but it would be too late if I used a damage RM (Ifrit would RNG my face off with AoE Firaga/Meteor). So I took a gamble and went all out on Edea without Fire Resist and didn't bother with native Sorceress Awakening:

UvovzfV.jpg

This managed to get me through. Barely. Jesus christ, that's 4+ hours of furiously trying different strats/gear/abilities for this fight and I loved every second of it.

Keen. Got Barret's Assault Gun and Sazh's Sirius Sidearms, with the latter being my first Faithga. I already have relics for both characters, but these are both useful. Unfortunately that also means I have a gunarm that will go forever unused because it's a unique weapon type.

Oh, dear... 493/500. Storehouse needs to come early.

Falk

that puzzling face
IT TOTES MUST BE BUGGED FROM THIS SMALL SAMPLE SIZE

TO REDDIT, MEN

(before I pull)

edit: The bow is great for stacking mitigation.

Beside some Tyro's book and one Ramza's relic, I had ONE other relic on this banner, Aevis Killer (def/res down one). Really wanted a atk/mag down relic. Welp, first relic in 4 Lucky Draw, yup, Aevis Killer. Wish I didn't call it before I pulled. 1/44, dupe. I start to not really give a shit anymore and it feels better this way.

Vegas which is a dupe, but at least I have two ok xiii weapons, before it was vega pumpkin and the celebration gun.

And last judgment grimoire, which is supposedly mediocre as far as an sb goes, but I'll definitely take the +10 atk damage for tyro. Missing his bsb and healing to complete his set.

WarAdept

Fucking hell, did everyone do so poorly that I managed to come out okay on this pull?

I'm actually fairly content with this. Setzer/Wakka didn't totally need it (due to Setzer being able to equip swords and Wakka has the Celebration Dagger we all got), but this will help with their squishiness and damage.

8TKkqqd.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom