• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy: Record Keeper |OT2| I HAVE NO MYTHRIL AND I MUST SHOUT

Status
Not open for further replies.

LucaMac

uh... are u solo'ing them? didn't think it was even possible to do that in a full party.

Yes it is...Cait Sith and Rikku so far for me are the offenders...Faris, Krile and Yang are late 70s now. I've been running all five of them the last two days from 65, no refreshes yet and no RM drops for these messers. Barret came in for one round when I subbed out Cait Sith after gettin maxed dropped his and left, these five however are pissin me off. I've three or four others who are egged/maxed due to Cid missions that need to drop RMs too. Theyll have a special party all to them selves for clearing the first half of events I guess.

uh... are u solo'ing them? didn't think it was even possible to do that in a full party.
Nope, full parties.

I've got three more in the ~75 range, so I may have enough for a full party of 80s eventually.

I'm not even upset about it, they can just be daily/greens farmers since the EXP there is (nearly) useless.

Wish I could have gotten a few more MEO but I'll live there's nothing in particular I wanted or need to hone and I'm only a few levels away from having all mc2 characters broken that are currently out so more or less successful phase.

Edit: wait is this phase not ending tonight?

Derp derp derp can't read dates worth shit lol

MrDaravon

Wish I could have gotten a few more MEO but I'll live there's nothing in particular I wanted or need to hone and I'm only a few levels away from having all mc2 characters broken that are currently out so more or less successful phase.

Edit: wait is this phase not ending tonight?

Derp derp derp can't read dates worth shit lol

If it makes you feel any better I totally thought this phase was ending tonight as well.

Everyone is mc2 broken who's currently out woo! Now to get the few straglers and cores up to 65 then being the ardous test of grinding for rm drops -.-

Kain

I'm leveling up all the chars whom I have a SB for and were forgotten in the depths of time. That means I'm currently running Quina, Barret, Vanille.

Quina is not so bad in IX and it still boggles my mind that Barret is support. If anything I would've made Reno the support VII char. Even Cait Sith is a better support lore-wise.

Falk

that puzzling face
I guess there really haven't been any physical ranged damage dealers, only damage dealers who can also use a gun/bow/thrown. (e.g. most supports don't use swords, especially if they main a ranged weapon type)

It's probably one of those 'we gots to standardize stuff' precedents like why staves and rods are kinda backwards statwise in XII RS.

(Even though those precedents have been broken time and time again since)

I guess there really haven't been any physical ranged damage dealers, only damage dealers who can also use a gun/bow/thrown. (e.g. most supports don't use swords, especially if they main a ranged weapon type)

This may change with the Shooter ability category, which has high damage multipliers. There are only a few abilities at the moment, but I imagine that'll change over time. No guarantee though, seeing as Bard almost never gets new shit.

MrDaravon

Looking forward to this. I still used Basch a lot even at 65 due to having Apocalypse Shield, and he's a definite candidate for Record Sphere to learn Dark Bargain.

Does anyone know of a good comprehensive source for everyone we can currently Record Drive on in terms of who is good to do so etc? I've been sitting on all of my motes because I have no idea what to do other than maybe just dump all of them on Tyro since I always have him (SG) and he can use everything. Like, I'd have to look up Dark Bargain because I don't even know what that is offhand, but I have Basch and his Shield as well so now I'm curious lol.

Like, I'd have to look up Dark Bargain because I don't even know what that is offhand, but I have Basch and his Shield as well so now I'm curious lol.

Dark Bargain is a Darkness-4 ability. It's a physical, dark element attack with a potency of 2.2. More importantly, it increases the user's ATK by 30%, at the cost of lower DEF by 30%, and this effect stacks with other +ATK buffs. It's basically a way to make Basch's Saint Cross more dope. I mostly use Dark Bargain on Drunk Cecil and Sephiroth, but soon Basch will be a candidate.

Re motes:. I give 4 levels to bssbs (theoretically) 3to ssbs 2 to useful and and 1 to worthless sbs. Then I work on maxing tyro since j have SG. It will be quite a while before we have enough 4 stars to worry about who to level there imho.

MrDaravon

Dark Bargain is a Darkness-4 ability. It's a physical, dark element attack with a potency of 2.2. More importantly, it increases the user's ATK by 30%, at the cost of lower DEF by 30%, and this effect stacks with other +ATK buffs. It's basically a way to make Basch's Saint Cross more dope. I mostly use Dark Bargain on Drunk Cecil and Sephiroth, but soon Basch will be a candidate.

Hmm, will have to look into this. I haven't really touched Saint Cross just because I don't have any of the holy gear/buffs/BSBs that really stack or complement it.

Hmm, will have to look into this. I haven't really touched Saint Cross just because I don't have any of the holy gear/buffs/BSBs that really stack or complement it.

Saint Cross is something you should look into whether you have +Holy gear or not. One of the best offensive abilities in the game that's usable by a large number of strong characters.

Xetherion

Re motes: I use my motes on characters that gain access to new abilities with them, prioritizing ones i have useful SB's for first. For example I'm diving Quistis first because she can get BLK 5 and WHT 4 and I have her Mighty Guard. I'm working on Tidus 2nd because he can get Spellblade 3 and I have his SSB. Cloud third even though i don't have any SB's for him because he can get Knight 3 and become VII's tauntaliator for CM without having to use a shared SB draw fire.

Record Spheres that grant new abilities are good, but I wouldn't underestimate +Ninja ones either. It's a category with many RES-piercing abilities at the cost of harsh diminishing returns on stats, but raw damage boosts circumvent that handicap. If you have a Ninja that you like, I'd recommend checking out their Record Sphere. Most of them get a 9-12% Ninja bonus, and once the MC3-gated materia are out they'll be able to get a full 49-52% bonus for reliably high damage.

MrDaravon

Saint Cross is something you should look into whether you have +Holy gear or not. One of the best offensive abilities in the game that's usable by a large number of strong characters.

I'll give it another look; I have it at r1 (I think we may have gotten it for free at some point?) and I used it a couple times but didn't seem super spectacular, but that may have just been the character I had it on or the battle, and combined with everyone talking about using it mostly in conjunction with the +Holy gear (which I don't have) I just didn't really think about it. With this Orbfest I will definitely be able to get Full Charge + Powerchain from r2 to r3 which is my top priority since I've got Lightning at 80 with Lightning Crush + Kaiser Shield so she wrecks with that setup.

Right now I've got:
-Full Charge r2
-Powerchain r2
-Full Break r2
-Thief's Revenge r2
-Saint Cross r1
-Dark Zone r1
-Memento Mori r1
-All of the -jas at r3 or r4
-2 Lifesiphons at r3

Is this 3-part guide on reddit for endgame abilities pretty accurate for most folks?

https://www.reddit.com/r/FFRecordKe...anding_your_options_endgame_ability_creation/

If so looking at that guide it seems like recommendations for me would be to:

-Taking Dark Zone and Memento Mori from r1 to r3 (especially since I have Ebon Armor and the Darkness boost RM?)
-Craft Dark Bargain and hone to either r2 or r3.
-Get Saint Cross up to r2 or r3, if literally nothing else will synergize with Basch's Platinum shield + Dark Bargain.
-Maybe craft/hone an AoE physical attack (maybe Bladeblitz or Fire Blossom realistically?)
-Get Thief's Revenge from r2 to r3 and maybe craft Steal Power to go alongside it; thinking mostly because I have Locke's Valiant Knife, IIRC last time I used him I was using Lifeiphon + Thief's Revenge, not sure if Steal Power + Thief's Revenge would be a better combo or not.
-Get my two Lifesiphons from r3 to r5?

Does this seem about right? Also:

-Are the 4* elemental spellblades worth crafting yet over the 3*? IIRC they're used mostly for hitting elemental weaknesses, and the multiplier on 4* over 3* isn't high enough to make much of a difference (assuming you're not already hitting the damage cap anyway). Edit: Can probably just ignore these in favor of the upcoming Chain Spellbade abilities.

-Are Dragoon abilities worthwhile at this point? The only Dragoon character I have a SB for is Fang (Partisan). They've got elemental jumps, as well as Blood of the Wyvern, Dragoon Jump and Sky Grinder, but a lot of that seems potentially situational, or if you specifically need a backrow damage dealer etc.

Edit: And fuck, looking at upcoming abilities Chain Firega/Thundaga/Blizzaga and Chain Spellblade Firega/Thundaga/Blizzaga and maybe Gaia Cross at r1 or r2 are all super solid. Fuuuuuuck not enough orbs

I think the current most effective combo for both Lightning and Locke, given the gear you mentioned, is lifesiphon (r4) + chainstarter (even r2, r3 obviously better). Spam LS until 1 bar is filled, then CS into SSB or BSB.
It should be the best dps, I think I read it somewhere on pintbox mathcraft.

Xetherion

I'll give it another look; I have it at r1 (I think we may have gotten it for free at some point?) and I used it a couple times but didn't seem super spectacular, but that may have just been the character I had it on or the battle, and combined with everyone talking about using it mostly in conjunction with the +Holy gear (which I don't have) I just didn't really think about it. With this Orbfest I will definitely be able to get Full Charge + Powerchain from r2 to r3 which is my top priority since I've got Lightning at 80 with Lightning Crush + Kaiser Shield so she wrecks with that setup.

Right now I've got:
-Full Charge r2
-Powerchain r2
-Full Break r2
-Thief's Revenge r2
-Saint Cross r1
-Dark Zone r1
-Memento Mori r1
-All of the -jas at r3 or r4
-2 Lifesiphons at r3

Is this 3-part guide on reddit for endgame abilities pretty accurate for most folks?

https://www.reddit.com/r/FFRecordKe...anding_your_options_endgame_ability_creation/

If so looking at that guide it seems like recommendations for me would be to:

-Taking Dark Zone and Memento Mori from r1 to r3 (especially since I have Ebon Armor and the Darkness boost RM?)
-Craft Dark Bargain and hone to either r2 or r3.
-Get Saint Cross up to r2 or r3, if literally nothing else will synergize with Basch's Platinum shield + Dark Bargain.
-Maybe craft/hone an AoE physical attack (maybe Bladeblitz or Fire Blossom realistically?)
-Get Thief's Revenge from r2 to r3 and maybe craft Steal Power to go alongside it; thinking mostly because I have Locke's Valiant Knife, IIRC last time I used him I was using Lifeiphon + Thief's Revenge, not sure if Steal Power + Thief's Revenge would be a better combo or not.
-Get my two Lifesiphons from r3 to r5?

Does this seem about right? Also:

-Are the 4* elemental spellblades worth crafting yet over the 3*? IIRC they're used mostly for hitting elemental weaknesses, and the multiplier on 4* over 3* isn't high enough to make much of a difference (assuming you're not already hitting the damage cap anyway). Edit: Can probably just ignore these in favor of the upcoming Chain Spellbade abilities.

-Are Dragoon abilities worthwhile at this point? The only Dragoon character I have a SB for is Fang (Partisan). They've got elemental jumps, as well as Blood of the Wyvern, Dragoon Jump and Sky Grinder, but a lot of that seems potentially situational, or if you specifically need a backrow damage dealer etc.

Edit: And fuck, looking at upcoming abilities Chain Firega/Thundaga/Blizzaga and Chain Spellblade Firega/Thundaga/Blizzaga and maybe Gaia Cross at r1 or r2 are all super solid. Fuuuuuuck not enough orbs

If you've got a strong SB for your PC/FC character, don't hone FC to r3. I use r3 PC, r2 FC on Zack or Tidus with Ace Striker RM, and the last 2 charges of PC are used to insta cast their SB/SSB twice at the end of the fight.

MM and DZ is a strong combo even without Ebon Armor, so yeah i'd recommend it. Never used Dark Bargain myself but it looks good.

Saint Cross is great, easy 15-20k with Shout depending on RS. With Platinum Shield should reach 20k even easier.

AOE physicals are situational, i'd hold off until you need one unless you really want one now. Bladeblitz is kinda dated, Fire Blossom is good if fire weakness. If you can scrape the orbs together I'd recommend Bio Grenade though. AOE non-elemental so no need to worry about resists, poison is nice if you don't have an SB that does it, and it combos well with the 4* machinist Venom Shell (Poison Shell? I can't remember what it's called).

Don't hone TR to r3. I have it at r2 on Locke as well and i hardly ever use it, much less use all 4 charges. TR is weak damage, even with 5 hits and strong RS it's usually only hitting 12.5k total. Stick with LS into SSB.

Honing LS to r4 should be enough. I have mine at r4 and i've never needed more.

I never use the 4* spellblades, the 3* ones have always been enough to hit cap when hitting weakness, or close enough that it doesn't matter. Just used 3* Aero strike on U+ Nova Dragon and hit cap no problem.

Dragoon abilities are definitely worthwhile. Elemental jumps if weakness, if no weakness then Blood of the Wyvern into Dragoon Jump is a great combo. Used the combo on Freya vs Nova Dragon, she only had a 4*++ RS dagger and was hitting 7k with Blood and 15k with Dragoon Jump.

WarAdept

5 mithril got me junk.

Not too fussed, I should be able to CM this pretty easily, having native gear for Vaan, Balthier and Fran and a shitload of spears/axes/XII freebies.

Cult of three got me the dirk.

That, a yolo godfest pull in P&D got me one of the new exclusives, and a my ticket pull today in BE got me a Cecil.

I think I should buy a lottery ticket...

MrDaravon

I think the current most effective combo for both Lightning and Locke, given the gear you mentioned, is lifesiphon (r4) + chainstarter (even r2, r3 obviously better). Spam LS until 1 bar is filled, then CS into SSB or BSB.
It should be the best dps, I think I read it somewhere on pintbox mathcraft.

If you've got a strong SB for your PC/FC character, don't hone FC to r3. I use r3 PC, r2 FC on Zack or Tidus with Ace Striker RM, and the last 2 charges of PC are used to insta cast their SB/SSB twice at the end of the fight.

MM and DZ is a strong combo even without Ebon Armor, so yeah i'd recommend it. Never used Dark Bargain myself but it looks good.

Saint Cross is great, easy 15-20k with Shout depending on RS. With Platinum Shield should reach 20k even easier.

AOE physicals are situational, i'd hold off until you need one unless you really want one now. Bladeblitz is kinda dated, Fire Blossom is good if fire weakness. If you can scrape the orbs together I'd recommend Bio Grenade though. AOE non-elemental so no need to worry about resists, poison is nice if you don't have an SB that does it, and it combos well with the 4* machinist Venom Shell (Poison Shell? I can't remember what it's called).

Don't hone TR to r3. I have it at r2 on Locke as well and i hardly ever use it, much less use all 4 charges. TR is weak damage, even with 5 hits and strong RS it's usually only hitting 12.5k total. Stick with LS into SSB.

Honing LS to r4 should be enough. I have mine at r4 and i've never needed more.

I never use the 4* spellblades, the 3* ones have always been enough to hit cap when hitting weakness, or close enough that it doesn't matter. Just used 3* Aero strike on U+ Nova Dragon and hit cap no problem.

Dragoon abilities are definitely worthwhile. Elemental jumps if weakness, if no weakness then Blood of the Wyvern into Dragoon Jump is a great combo. Used the combo on Freya vs Nova Dragon, she only had a 4*++ RS dagger and was hitting 7k with Blood and 15k with Dragoon Jump.

Just got home from work, thanks for the responses! Based on this as well as doing some digging on reddit etc I'm currently looking at the following.

For sure:
-----
Dark Zone from r1 to r3
Memento Mori from r1 to r3
Dark Bargain craft to r3
Saint Cross from r1 to r3
Powerchain from r2 to r3
Lifesiphon from r3 to r4 (both copies)
Blood of the Wyvern from r1 to r3
Dragoon Jump from r1 to r3

Maybe (mostly QoL/breathing room):
-----
Full Charge from r2 to r3
Thief's Revenge from r2 to r3
Banishing Strike from r2 to r3
Fire Blossom or Bio Grenade from r1 to r3 for AoE purposes
Steal Power craft to r3
Sky Grinder from r1 to r3
Wind/Ice/Lightning Jump craft to r3 (I don't see any 4* elemental Jumps unless I'm missing them?)

Future abilities I'm specifically looking at:
-----
Chain Blizzaga
Chain Firega
Chain Thundaga
Gaia Cross
Chain Spellblade Thunder
Chain Spellblade Blaze
Chain Spellblade Water Sparrow

Regarding wanting an AoE it's mostly just for easier farming on dailies and just utility/QoL purposes; I'm down to like 2 Black Mages left not at their level cap that can cast Ruinga so looking for something that would make running Dailies with no level capped people easier. Also not sure if I should do Steal Power, I've seen people recommend it but usually in conjunction with Thief's Revenge, and if I'm going to be running LS + TR not sure if that's even needed.

I'll do the Dragoon stuff; Fang is still the only Dragoon I have that I have an SB for, but even situationally depending on my party setup I can see the use of Blood of the Wyvern + Dragoon Jump or elemental jumps. Is Sky Grinder still worth crafting though, or is the group effect on it just way too situational over Dragoon Jump to really justify both?

Running summons doesn't really interest me, but not sure if I should be looking at any Ninja stuff though? Of the people who can using 3*+ Ninja abilities the only ones I have anything notable for are Yuffie (Crystal Cross) and Thancred (Yoshimitsu) so I've looked at Ninja abilities approximately zero times, especially since I just got the Crystal Cross a few days ago,.

Blew all my mythril(35) on this banner. two 3 pulls, and a single pull. No 5 stars. OH WELL!

Went and did an 11 pull in Exvius because my luck has to show up somewhere right? Got Warrior of Light.

WarAdept

Day 1 of Dawn Orbfest tally:

Mithril refreshes: 50

Major Summon: 107 -> 173 (66 gained)
Major Ice: 120 -> 194 (74 gained)
Major Earth: 77 -> 140 (63 gained)

Pretty damn happy. Over 50 of each Major orb type for 50 mithril refreshes with lots of characters capping at 80. Slightly annoyed that my Earth turned out last, as that's the one I need most, apart from Black and I never use Summons.

That being said, with a few more MSO from upcoming events, I can R3 Bahamut, Tiamat and either Titan or Ultima Weapon of my choice when they get released.

Is Sky Grinder still worth crafting though, or is the group effect on it just way too situational over Dragoon Jump to really justify both?

Out of all the AoE 5* abilities (excluding Bahamut), Sky Grinder is the one that'd take highest hone priority. No air time and high crit chance? Sounds pretty sweet to me. Mine is still at R1 and sometimes I still take it to endgame fights where AoE demands it.

MrDaravon

Day 1 of Dawn Orbfest tally:

Mithril refreshes: 50

Major Summon: 107 -> 173 (66 gained)
Major Ice: 120 -> 194 (74 gained)
Major Earth: 77 -> 140 (63 gained)

Pretty damn happy. Over 50 of each Major orb type for 50 mithril refreshes with lots of characters capping at 80. Slightly annoyed that my Earth turned out last, as that's the one I need most, apart from Black and I never use Summons.

That being said, with a few more MSO from upcoming events, I can R3 Bahamut, Tiamat and either Titan or Ultima Weapon of my choice when they get released.

Out of all the AoE 5* abilities (excluding Bahamut), Sky Grinder is the one that'd take highest hone priority. No air time and high crit chance? Sounds pretty sweet to me. Mine is still at R1 and sometimes I still take it to endgame fights where AoE demands it.

I'll take a look at it, it'll probably take lower priority than some of my other ones though.

Also 50 refreshes goddamn. I got somewhere about 25 in, I wasn't able to keep close track and I'm too lazy to go back and do the math with mythril we earned minus my lucky draw etc.

My damage from ~25 refreshes was getting 12 characters from 65 to 80 (which is still my top priority this orbfest). Orbwise (after conversion):

-Major Ice Orbs: 50 -> 91
-Major Earth Orbs: 74 -> 118
-Major Summon Orbs: 58 -> 102

Pretty even gains all around, wish I had been able to do some more refreshes as I was really wanting to get to at least 100 Ice but eh. Skimming the current ability craft/hone list I'm working on above I'll probably do some pretty light refreshes on Phase 2 and 4, but will be going on incredibly hard on Phase 3 just like everyone else, probably like 75 refreshes on that one.

It's kind of silly how many of the top abilities use Power orbs and how many they take; my totals would look different now based on feedback I've gotten on my ability list, but when I mathed out the original list of abilities I was looking at crafting/honing earlier I was looking at needing something like 260 MPO, and I "only" have like 119 right now. Jesus.

Got two of Penelo's Judicer Staffs. That covers my group Cure and Boostga for FF12 records. The MAG in them is low, otherwise I'd keep them separate so that Ashe could have a good weapon.

Actually, MAG gap decreases as you upgrade it, so I'll keep them separate for the moment. I also got two Stoneblades (FF6) because the game is funny like that.

WarAdept

-Major Ice Orbs: 50 -> 91
-Major Earth Orbs: 74 -> 118
-Major Summon Orbs: 58 -> 102

Damn you hit the jackpot with RNG for just 25 refreshes.

I'm not too fussed about MPO, we have 2 dailies dedicated towards it and it's usually one of the more generous orbs that events give compared to the others.

MrDaravon

Damn you hit the jackpot with RNG for just 25 refreshes.

I'm not too fussed about MPO, we have 2 dailies dedicated towards it and it's usually one of the more generous orbs that events give compared to the others.

True, but on the other hand goddamn everything uses a million MPO :(

In the morning I'll go back and do the math on the mythril, I feel like I was generally pretty damn lucky but now I'm second guessing my refresh count lol.

WarAdept

True, but on the other hand goddamn everything uses a million MPO :(

In the morning I'll go back and do the math on the mythril, I feel like I was generally pretty damn lucky but now I'm second guessing my refresh count lol.

I refreshed twice as much as you and you've nearly got as much Majors as me. Your refreshes were good. I think the estimated Orb to Stam ratio for this event was around 6.XX? I'll need to find the napkin math someone did at Reddit.

MrDaravon

I refreshed twice as much as you and you've nearly got as much Majors as me. Your refreshes were good. I think the estimated Orb to Stam ratio for this event was around 6.XX? I'll need to find the napkin math someone did at Reddit.

Yeah, I think it was like 6.8 or something?

But yeah I just went back and did the math, I did 30 refreshes give or take a couple, not willing to go so far as to calculate on what days I got the 2nd free daily Myhthril etc. I'm just happy to get people leveled; by the end of this orbfest I think I'll be within short distance of having every character at their level cap. I'm actually legit excited about it lol.

Razmos

Did my lucky pull!
vfyaFiL.png

Really happy about the Overture and the chainsaw, already have the Red Scorpion but its still a cool thing to get

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom