• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy: Record Keeper |OT2| I HAVE NO MYTHRIL AND I MUST SHOUT

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrDaravon

Thinking about spending some mythril for refreshes on today's mat daily dungeon, I think my gear is chokepoint. I'm at level 42-44 with my main group, but going through the Classic Dungeons I'm currently up to 39-40 difficulty and they're pretty rough, barely getting Master. Most Elite dungeons are beyond me with some exceptions (like the later FF6 ones). For example I didn't have any FFV characters which is currently the only realm I have unbeaten Classic dungeons on, so I decided to try the bonus quest to get Lenna by beating one of the FFV levels on Elite which was level 43 and it was an epic struggle and I just barely beat it on like my 3rd S/L attempt. Levels are coming pretty slowly at this point so I'm thinking it's more of a gear issue. I've got a good handful of 4/5* stuff with a couple of 2++/3+/3++ items, but most of them don't have synergy with current events or what I'm doing :/. Feel like I'm not even sure what I should be doing.

Edit: Holy shit this is ridiculous: https://www.reddit.com/r/FFRecordKe...ompilation_123_all_the_game_info_you_need_to/

broz0rs

Thinking about spending some mythril for refreshes on today's mat daily dungeon, I think my gear is chokepoint. I'm at level 42-44 with my main group, but going through the Classic Dungeons I'm currently up to 39-40 difficulty and they're pretty rough, barely getting Master. Most Elite dungeons are beyond me with some exceptions (like the later FF6 ones). For example I didn't have any FFV characters which is currently the only realm I have unbeaten Classic dungeons on, so I decided to try the bonus quest to get Lenna by beating one of the FFV levels on Elite which was level 43 and it was an epic struggle and I just barely beat it on like my 3rd S/L attempt. Levels are coming pretty slowly at this point so I'm thinking it's more of a gear issue. I've got a good handful of 4/5* stuff with a couple of 2++/3+/3++ items, but most of them don't have synergy with current events or what I'm doing :/. Feel like I'm not even sure what I should be doing.

Just be a cheater and use Retailiate strat until you're able to catch up on gear and hones. I had the same problem a month ago (been playing for 3 months), but I did fine with just using Cloud and a Shark dagger (VII) on all realms for Classic dungeons.

Theres a fair few easy elite dungeons in FF4, 7 and 10 too - you can do those. Gear shouldn't really be a blocker - who's in your party? Definitely concentrate on levelling a main team first rather than spreading yourself thin - Cloud, Rydia, Wakka, Kain and White Mage would be a good start point (replace White Mage with Arc/Lenna when you acquire them).
I wouldn't waste mythril on refreshes just for exp unless you are in a rush for something.

Razmos

I imagine it can be quite daunting to do the classic dungeons. Because I've been playing since the start, the gaps in between dungeon updates means I had more than enough time to catch up and get stronger, while new players have a lot of content to get through with no breaks, while also balancing events.

MrDaravon

I imagine it can be quite daunting to do the classic dungeons. Because I've been playing since the start, the gaps in between dungeon updates means I had more than enough time to catch up and get stronger, while new players have a lot of content to get through with no breaks, while also balancing events.

Yeah, I feel totally overwhelmed with stuff; it's nice because there's a crapload of content, but as a new player I feel like I'm constantly scrambling.

Theres a fair few easy elite dungeons in FF4, 7 and 10 too - you can do those. Gear shouldn't really be a blocker - who's in your party? Definitely concentrate on levelling a main team first rather than spreading yourself thin - Cloud, Rydia, Wakka, Kain and White Mage would be a good start point (replace White Mage with Arc/Lenna when you acquire them).
I wouldn't waste mythril on refreshes just for exp unless you are in a rush for something.

My original core team is Cloud, Tyro, Cyan and Rydia, all of whom are 41-44. I've been rotating in the 5th (or sometimes additionally replacing one or more of the above) depending on the event etc. Also been using growth eggs on some characters (not touching core ones really yet) to bring them up to level 15-20 if I'm bringing them into something that they have synergy in that's not super hard. So I've also got Josef, Luneth, Kain, Tidus, Wakka, Snow & Vanille all between level 20-26 (with Wakka at 32 oddly). I'd been told a rule of thumb to roll with one white mage, one black mage and 3 melee; I just got Vanille so I'm intending to swap Tyro out for her, and I'm one dungeon away from getting Hope in the current event and I'll swap Rydia out for him. Then I'll start rotating my current melee characters out once they hit 45 or so.

I quite honestly might be doing something wrong, no idea lol. I think part of it may be coming into it new and trying to absorb everything so I may just over-reaching on what is doable at this point, I've only been playing since last Saturday. IIRC tomorrow's dungeon is the EXP one so I might grind that out tomorrow maybe? Also hoping to maaaaaybe try to snag Cloud's RM from the current event before that goes away tomorrow night, not sure if I'll be able to pull it off or not though.

Just be a cheater and use Retailiate strat until you're able to catch up on gear and hones. I had the same problem a month ago (been playing for 3 months), but I did fine with just using Cloud and a Shark dagger (VII) on all realms for Classic dungeons.

Yeah I haven't touched the Retaliate strat yet, but I might look into finally doing that.

Vorpal

Thinking about spending some mythril for refreshes on today's mat daily dungeon, I think my gear is chokepoint.

If you have trouble in a dungeon because you're taking too much damage, upgrading gear to 10/15/20 (depending on whether it's 3*/4*/5* respectively) is definitely a good step. Especially if you're upgrading gear with the appropriate realm synergy.

(Also, when combining two pieces of gear, only one of them needs to be fully upgraded. I wasted a lot of upgrade materials before I knew that)

Alternatively, if you feel like you're not putting out enough damage, you might focus instead on ability hones. Bringing a couple Double Cuts up to Rank 4 is super useful early on, and the current Orbfest phase has all the orbs you'd need for that.

broz0rs

Yeah I haven't touched the Retaliate strat yet, but I might look into finally doing that.

It's the equivalent of an athlete taking a performance enhancing drug.

it's hard to lay off of it and play the game normally (until your characters are decked out in gear and hones)

Vorpal

brFrxoQ.jpg

These Halloween effects are very impressive

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Yeah, I feel totally overwhelmed with stuff; it's nice because there's a crapload of content, but as a new player I feel like I'm constantly scrambling.

My original core team is Cloud, Tyro, Cyan and Rydia, all of whom are 41-44. I've been rotating in the 5th (or sometimes additionally replacing one or more of the above) depending on the event etc.
Honestly you want to prioritize White Mage, Black Mage, Summoner and Joseph for their record materia. Particularly the first two for dealing with trash mob stuff and not having to worry about healing. You might also want to get the guy who gives Zealot so you can autobattle trash automatically, but that's probably a lower priority.

Falk

that puzzling face
BTW you don't want to spend Mythril on refreshing for daily dungeon. I know we're not exactly setting a good example here, but yeh, everything will come naturally, but Mythril is something of a finite resource.

Orb Dungeon is the exception to the rule.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
BTW you don't want to spend Mythril on refreshing for daily dungeon. I know we're not exactly setting a good example here, but yeh, everything will come naturally, but Mythril is something of a finite resource.

The fact that you get bonus XP and Gold while doing it is kind of insane. I was able to get Vanille and Hope to 50 in a few hours. The only problem with the event is the time you need to waste mashing a button to cast Quake over and over again.

MrDaravon

I LISTENED TO YOU FALK WHY

VKPpevN.jpg

Balphon

Honestly you want to prioritize White Mage, Black Mage, Summoner and Joseph for their record materia. Particularly the first two for dealing with trash mob stuff and not having to worry about healing. You might also want to get the guy who gives Zealot so you can autobattle trash automatically, but that's probably a lower priority.

Ricard's RM1 is significantly more useful than Josef's in most situations.

The guy who gives Zealot is Bard, so if the idea of turning attack into a free weak AoE sounds appealing you should level him now while it's easy.

MrDaravon

So am I better off trying to level some characters during the orb event then as opposed to pushing through Classic Dungeons then? I didn't really touch any of the core characters because everyone said they were ass; I did see people saying the WM/BM RM's were good but not to worry about that early on. Also I could have sworn that people said Josef and his RM were terrible, but may that was sarcasm I didn't pick up on.

Falk

that puzzling face
I'd say take full advantage of the Orbfest while it lasts. It's that good. (No mythril refreshing at that max stam though lol)

edit: Josef and his 5* unique SB are terrible. His 2nd RM is baller. It basically turns attack into 2 hits at 0.6, which is awesome to squeeze 2 hits out of characters (white mages, etc) that don't have access to Combat 2* or Celerity 3*. (This feeds into Retaliate-based strategies)

MicH

WHY

6 MAJOR WIND ORBS, 2 MAJOR POWER

WHY SO MANY MAJOR WINDS :(

EDIT AND SO MANY GREATER POWER

WHY!? I HAVE OVER 200 OF THOSE NOW

EDIT2 Speaking of Josef and his terrible unique SB I'm gonna let him suicide over and over and over for not dropping his RM2 yet and for getting TWO of his useless gloves

WHY

6 MAJOR WIND ORBS, 2 MAJOR POWER

WHY SO MANY MAJOR WINDS :(

EDIT AND SO MANY GREATER POWER

WHY!? I HAVE OVER 200 OF THOSE NOW

EDIT2 Speaking of Josef and his terrible unique SB I'm gonna let him suicide over and over and over for not dropping his RM2 yet and for getting TWO of his useless gloves

Same here, I am getting very discouraged... A Greater Orb drops? Almost always Power. A Major Orb drops? Mostly NE or Wind. Again, again and again...

ZangBa

I actually managed to get Cloud's MC2. First time doing + battles, it was super easy, too, which I wasn't expecting since I struggled on the elite version. I guess honed abilities made all the difference, and R4 stop. I just stop locked her for the entire fight until I missed, then she killed Tellah near the end, losing mastery. I don't care about that, though, just happy to get the MC2 C:

I don't know if I will try Jenova death, will probably just continue farming orbs and leveling new characters, I'm real happy right now.

Balphon

So am I better off trying to level some characters during the orb event then as opposed to pushing through Classic Dungeons then? I didn't really touch any of the core characters because everyone said they were ass; I did see people saying the WM/BM RM's were good but not to worry about that early on. Also I could have sworn that people said Josef and his RM were terrible, but may that was sarcasm I didn't pick up on.

His RM1 is great. His RM2 is fairly bad unless you are planning on abusing retaliate.

His relic SB is a significantly worse version of Planet Protector that everyone hates.

So should I just make stop and refine the shit out of it for the Jenova BIRTH battle or is there a better ability to hone to create stop?

Seal Evil is still the most reliable form of Stop. Using Stop as a mitigation tool is basically impossible without multiple honed copies, so I wouldn't bother.

MicH

So Ive played since day 1 and I'm actually pretty amazed that my Kain is still at level 50 :lol Yeah, I've really used him a lot. Poor Kain.. and he's still one of the very few characters to reach level 65 for me

Falk

that puzzling face
8 in 30 sounds a little on the low side. :(

I've gotten 58 in 133

edit: On the first 3 stages I mean, not on Stage 4

(133 refreshes in 3 days would probably kill even me rofl)

40 ish I think. I planned on dumping all in on phase 3 but accidentally finished the dungeon the morning after phase 4 started and just decided to go all in here instead. GWOs are always useful and I was hoping to get some MPOs, but that hasn't really worked out so well. I'm pretty much out of mythril now anyways unless I farm the Hope event before orbfest ends, but I think I'm just going to save that mythril for when the EX dailies come out to try to get some more GBOs.

Falk

that puzzling face
PS if you need only 4* black, Barnabas is an amazing stam/return.

Only thing is the setup time stamina required to get to him, meaning you need to block out a period of like 2 days to spam him to get the most out of it before you quit out.

(Or alternatively orb combination can hit early and boom goes all 4* woes)

I've got 188 GPO, so I'm definitely more interested in black at this point. Looked up the drop rates for that boss fight and it looks like it's about 60 stam/drop which is pretty great for a 4* at this point. It will probably be better than the upcoming daily if I were only interested in black orbs, but I have to admit that I'm enticed at the possibility of getting either MBO or MPO from the daily. Where I end up will probably depend on the drop rate of major orbs.

Falk

that puzzling face

Don't mean to be that guy, but the pdf has been dumb for a few reasons:

1) Info bloat, a lot of unnecessary information
2) A PDF instead of a google spreadsheet is archaic because
- Google Docs is much more easily be updated (people won't need to constantly redownload a new version, the same URL works)
- Google Docs can be sorted or filtered by the user according to information that's required. A PDF is... well... a PDF.
3) Objectively wrong information - there was an entire episode where the poor guy was trying to justify how physical ability scaling across * rankings lagging behind magic 'didn't really matter' because of the hard cap when the graphs he put together were a) semi-cherrypicked b) still showed a huge advantage in favor of magic
4) Insists on using e.g. 5+ and 6++ to represent base 4* equipment that's been combined. Like yeah, there's never been an official way of notating this, but 4++ much more accurately portrays relative power levels at a glance when comparing to natural equipment.

I dunno, if people get use out of the PDF, fine, I'm not trying to tell anyone how to play the game, but it's still a really dumb project overall that seems more focused on creating a textbook than it is effectively disseminating information.

(The main reason I didn't include it in the OP is actually 2) - because I really couldn't be arsed to edit the OP and change the link every time the PDF updates. Hurr)

Falk

that puzzling face
It's decent for use on the first round to get instant magic+physical mitigation while everything else gets set up, and the fact that it stacks with everything else actually means not having 100% uptime the entire fight doesn't sting as much as it should. (so it kinda functions like e.g. Bloodlust in old school WoW raids - a DPS burst cooldown)

But yeah, 2 shots is sometimes really hard to justify if you're running low on ability slots for a strategy.

edit: Getting near the end of hardcore grinding on Orbfest. 155 of 180 Mythril

In the last 10 Mythril I got: (MicH don't look)

Power 5* 0
Power 4* 9
Power 3* 194

NE 5* 5
NE 4* 16
NE 3* 174

Wind 5* 2
Wind 4* 23
Wind 3* 207

Totes 5* 7, 4* 48, 3* 575

(All these 3* Wind Orbs, can't wait for combination)

Balphon

(The main reason I didn't include it in the OP is actually 2) - because I really couldn't be arsed to edit the OP and change the link every time the PDF updates. Hurr)

The link doesn't change when the pdf updates.

You're right about the rest, though. I mainly only reference it for ability modifiers since those tables are actually condensed.

My final 25 draw, went in praying for a long range weapon...
Hokh1Ell.jpg

Lucky again, but still no long range which made me a little sad. Then woke up to a Halloween treat of a 5* long range BlitzballPumpkin!
So feeling damn happy with this game as we leave this Orb celebration. 8 soul break items for 100mythril, never gonna happen again.

On another note, I didn't beat Jenova Death..i destroyed her. Didn't lose a medal. Felt good after struggling with those + and ++ bosses for so long. Hopefully i can feel as confident and strong for a little longer, before DeNa up the stakes again.

Yeah this orbfest has been great. All the bread and butter 3* stuff is now rank 4, with their 4* equivalents at rank 2.
Exp gain has been just as significant, 20 characters at 50+ now, and did pretty nice on the Lucky Draw too with an 8/44 return.

Looking forward to returning to classic/elite paintings tomorrow (Seymourrrr!) and next set of events.

The guy who gives Zealot is Bard, so if the idea of turning attack into a free weak AoE sounds appealing you should level him now while it's easy.
TBH the most mileage I get out of Zealot is autoing my way through classic events (and phantom train when I was farming there) slightly quicker. If NORG ever returns though...
did not have Zealot for NORG and barely scraped through

My final 25 draw, went in praying for a long range weapon...
Hokh1Ell.jpg

Lucky again, but still no long range which made me a little sad. Then woke up to a Halloween treat of a 5* long range BlitzballPumpkin!
So feeling damn happy with this game as we leave this Orb celebration. 8 soul break items for 100mythril, never gonna happen again.
I believe that soul break is ranged though.

I LISTENED TO YOU FALK WHY

VKPpevN.jpg
It is our fault for not clarifying. When you have 140 stamina you get a lot more out a refresh than you do at lower max stamina.
Back when I was a newbie I did about 10 mythril stamina refreshes on 64 max stamina in the previous version of festival of gold

Mythril is a weird currency in that it is both finite and becomes more valuable as time goes on (relic power creep) yet less valuable at the same time (if you've done lots of pulls the benefit of doing more becomes less, like my current state where many 3* swords are now completely worthless to me and the rest only slightly better and only if I get enough to make 5* which with the useless 3* existing makes less probably).

I'm legit excited for Leblanc and co being a super boss
event_intro_pict11.png

That's just so cool
I'm getting traumatic flashbacks to Fuujin, Raijin and Seifer :(

MrDaravon

It is our fault for not clarifying. When you have 140 stamina you get a lot more out a refresh than you do at lower max stamina.
Back when I was a newbie I did about 10 mythril stamina refreshes on 64 max stamina in the previous version of festival of gold

Oh I should clarify that I didn't actually use any Mythril for refreshes, just giving Falk shit :p. I'm only at 74 Stamina right now I think. Just going to spend any Stamina I have today on running Orbfest at the highest difficulty which I can squeeze by on now. Usually I have to bail after the first two rounds but I've already gotten the Mastery awards for that difficulty so eh.

Beat the FF7 boss rush and am about to attempt to tackle the Life boss for Cloud's MC2, my set up is

Cloud/Tifa/Zack with breaks and double cuts/tempo
Sephy with retaliate and break
Aerith with curaga and shellga (only r1 sadly)

Goal is to get magic break and shellga up before I get hit then adance retaliate to glory ya?

Now if someone with advance would show up i my friend summon <___>

Edit: beat it, but I forgot to afflict him with sleep so I only got expert, not sure if its worth redoing or not. I had the full charged seal evil I just got excited when I knew I had the w in the bad and just panicked having Aerith use a preemptive curaga instead :X

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom