• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy: Record Keeper |OT2| I HAVE NO MYTHRIL AND I MUST SHOUT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Falk

that puzzling face
So, I need advices: I already have Waterja R4, Ruinga R4 and Quake R3. I'm running low on 4* Black Orbs. Which is the next -ja spell I should hone? I would say Thundaja, but I want to be sure. I should have enough to craft both Thundaja R3 and Firaga R3 (but after that, I'm done with 4* Black Magic until orb conversion).

Keeping in mind if it's a vulnerability boss 19 times out of 20 Thundaga with decent gear/levels will get you 9999 anyway (along with Attunement II, etc.) it actually skews away from "what element has the most vulnerable bosses" to "what element is absorbed/resisted the least"

Thundaja seems to get the most use in either case, although in support of my point above and directly relevant to current content, Thundaja is also one of two r4 black magic spells (the other being Bioga) that's useful for Ogopogo elite, if you want to run a caster group and bounce stuff off Reflect.

(p.s. repeating for new page - Barnabas is also there for all your sustained BM 4* orb farming needs, at least until the new dailies and/or orb conversion hit anyway)

Nohar

Thanks for the advice!

Well, Alexander is a tough one. Bring your A-Team, Protectga, Power Breakdown, Sentinel Grimoire, Hastega, AoE Heal, everything.

Falk

that puzzling face
I just let him punch Snow

(Draw Fire MVP)

(I also had Lunatic High and Power Breakdown)

Razmos

Snow is a damn good tank character, his naturally high defence and HP is great, and with access to Draw Fire and his default soul break (Protect + Regen) he can tank physical hits for days. He has access to a self heal with Chakra too.

Nohar

I just let him punch Snow

(Draw Fire MVP)

(I also had Lunatic High and Power Breakdown)

Draw Fire is a good idea, but during my fight Alexander didn't play by my rules, and spammed his AoE moves. And those hit like a truck. As usual, this is a RNG-heavy fight: if he has the time to use his most powerful AoE before you put up mitigation, just S/L (over 3000+ damages to everyone unmitigated).
Not to mention we have the timer. So, yeah, no time to lose here: Hastega is mandatory.
Finally, Alexander is immune to every status ailment (except Silence, but he doesn't cast), so our ability choices are quite restricted.
If you can bring Full Break (R2) + Power Breakdown + Protectga, you should be able to survive without needing Sentinel Grimoire or an AoE Heal (assuming you have the time to set up mitigation). Otherwise, SG RW is necessary (and you really want Hastega, so worst case scenario bring someone in charge of putting Haste on your best damage dealers and your healer).

Falk

that puzzling face
Man, having second thoughts about farming out 5* Power Orbs.

It's doable but such a chore because they give you an AOE boss fight, but then mostly single target trash (with more than 9999 HP) and mostly fire-resistant trash and the thought of having to go through this four times every time I want to set up for maybe RNGing a 5* Power Orb per day (heh) kinda sucks.

9 orbs needed for Full Break r2... I think I'll just wait it out.

edit: Bridging the topics gap

Planning to farm Alexander instead, it's not nearly as RNG as Seifer trio/etc so I'm game.

FboIjqyl.jpg

My offensive FFXIII gear isn't lacking by any stretch, so I'm basically burning him before he burns me.

- Prior to 1/2 hp, he has 40% chance to use an AOE ability
- After that, he has 30% chance to use an AOE ability, but 25% chance completely separately to essentially doublecast whatever move he's using.

Considering my 3 FFXIII 5* weapons (and Witch's Hat), I can actually burn him down in 6 turns, which is how long the 2 charges of Full Break last with Lunatic High. I've also done it with Sentinel Grimoire.

Falk

that puzzling face
Oi oi oi oi

5 retaliate

It'd probably work too hahahahah.

NOW I HAVE TO TRY THIS.

edit: Nevermind, all his abilities are autohit.

Derp.

Razmos

Dear Cloud, please drop your RM3 please, thanks

I really want to get it before I try doing the bonus battles so that I can start the battle with Boon, so I'm just wasting stamina until then :(

Is there any dungeons that are particularly good for getting record materia to drop?

Dear Cloud, please drop your RM3 please, thanks

I really want to get it before I try doing the bonus battles so that I can start the battle with Boon, so I'm just wasting stamina until then :(

Is there any dungeons that are particularly good for getting record materia to drop?
FFIV Underground Waterway is the best monster to stamina ratio.

Azusa

Falk what are you doing in game when you have cleared all elites and event? Do you really farm more greater orbs?

MicH

My Barthandelus 3-man attempt went well (Cloud, Lightning and Red XIII) with Advantaliate. He even dropped a GSO for me

Falk

that puzzling face
Falk what are you doing in game when you have cleared all elites and event? Do you really farm more greater orbs?

Pretty much yeah.

The first 3 months of the game I didn't really let stam go to waste much (which was hilarious with the ~4-5 hour bar when the game just started), and then I after that didn't really worry too much about it and just slept normal hours (HEH). Then there was a period of like 3 weeks before Orbfest where I just let stam go past max when there was nothing to do because it felt like a waste of time in comparison.

Short term, I'm probably just gonna take it easy because Orbfest was more than a little taxing, but after that I'm probably going back to burning stamina on 4* Summon orbs (++, +++ generally)

Razmos

FFIV Underground Waterway is the best monster to stamina ratio.
Thanks! I did it around 7 times and then it finally dropped :3

That feeling when you get the 5* Gold Sword (VII) for the login bonus as a newer player with no good VII weapons :D
As a week 1 player who had no synergy at all until this festival of gold, I really appreciated it too :p

Tidus' Slice and Dice (6 hits non-elemental) with a synergy weapon and Planet Protector is pretty damn strong. I'm kinda tempted to try it with Advance too

Road

Money + time sink?

I guess 450 mythril on orb dungeon weren't enough to hone another Drainga for Vanille. haha

Oi oi oi oi

5 retaliate

It'd probably work too hahahahah.

NOW I HAVE TO TRY THIS.

edit: Nevermind, all his abilities are autohit.

Derp.

Retaliate works fine. I used Tyro with Tauntliate and 4 mages to beat him. I'm considering going solo with Advantaliate, the only problem is the countdown (I also need to finish the new DU before wasting stamina like that).

My Alexander fight: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbWCaveL1OQ

Even without any status weakness and having break resistance, I think Alexander continues the streak of weaker +++ bosses. Earth Dragon on the Celes event will apparently be easy too -- vulnerable to many status, and it's FFVI synergy. Dunno about Necrophobia on the Bartz event. EDIT: Necrophobia seems easy too. I guess we better prepare for Seifer & Edea, that was already hard on the history dungeons, let alone +++. Always FFVIII....

PS.: when I say easy, I don't mean it for people who have only been playing for a few weeks. =P

Now this is getting funny.
Between the current event and the last one during the summer, I have dumped 200 mythril and 3x100 gems pulls in FFXIII banners, and all I got was...
... a single, effing, Zantetsuken. In 47 pulls.

For the first time I feel I'm starting to struggle; the 3-men quest has proven too tough atm without not only sinergy weapons, but even support SBs... I tried taking Tyro with SG, the only one I have, and the keeper couldn't even charge his SB before dying.

I'm getting a bit fed up with these abysmal pulls. Best investment so far was spending 60 mythril in the FoG.

Actually I have 50 more mythril; would you suggest a last desperation pull?

Falk

that puzzling face
Retaliate works fine. I used Tyro with Tauntliate and 4 mages to beat him. I'm considering going solo with Advantaliate, the only problem is the countdown (I also need to finish the new DU before wasting stamina like that).

My Alexander fight: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbWCaveL1OQ

Interesting. I must be misunderstanding the 'autohit' flag. It's not the same one that's on Pound though. (Oops)

Even without any status weakness and having break resistance, I think Alexander continues the streak of weaker +++ bosses. Earth Dragon on the Celes event will apparently be easy too -- vulnerable to many status, and it's FFVI synergy. Dunno about Necrophobia on the Bartz event. EDIT: Necrophobia seems easy too. I guess we better prepare for Seifer & Edea, that was already hard on the history dungeons, let alone +++. Always FFVIII....

PS.: when I say easy, I don't mean it for people who have only been playing for a few weeks. =P

Oi yeah. I mean if you took what we have now and went back to Brynhildr we'd similarly smash her flat, between Full Break, honed Breakdowns, mitigation SBs out the wazoo, everyone at 65, etc.

Honestly I think we're pretty much smooth sailing all the way up to Anniversary event, barring a couple of tricky (see: savescum hell) ++++s or whatever they end up calling them.

Dungeon Updates also pretty much cap out slightly above Ogopogo in terms of stats, and with Ruinga/Meteor/summons out the wazoo those aren't going to be that hard either. (hardest FFV dungeon sits at 141)

For the first time I feel I'm starting to struggle; the 3-men quest has proven too tough atm without not only sinergy weapons, but even support SBs... I tried taking Tyro with SG, the only one I have, and the keeper couldn't even charge his SB before dying.

Cloud RM3 on Tyro so he starts with a bar, although you'd need to charge him up for a 2nd shot before the first wears off.

About pulls, look at it this way - if XIII is your weakest synergy, it's not a desperation pull, it's a best practice. Just don't expect anything going in (like always) and your sanity should be fine.

Razmos

I was torn between crafting Odin or Full Break (due to them both needing Lightning Orbs) but the fact that I just got the Vega 42s for Sazh, one of my favourite characters who I used exclusively as my main character in my recent playthrough of FFXIII, and the fact that it would be used way more often and because it has double the amount of uses... yeah

I crafted Full Break and I'm using it in the Boss Rush with the Reload record materia. I used Protect + Full Break + Power Breakdown on the Beta Behemoth and it was doing 90% less damage which is just lol. If i'd used Sentinels Grimoire on top of that, the damage probably wouldn't have exceeded triple digits

Not sure why I was even considering creating Odin to be honest.

Falk

that puzzling face
So I just realized.

Maduin faces towards the party instead of the enemies. Dude has got some major cool-guys-don't-look-at-explosions shit going down.

MicH

These bonus battles were ridiculously easy -
especially the ++ one. You only have to kill one of them! So easy. Alexander hit hard, but still went down fast

Not sure why I was even considering creating Odin to be honest.
My only reason for crating Odin would be: the once in a blue moon that multi target bosses have parts (e.g. Seymour's guards) or are all weak to death (e.g. Purobolos). Even then the former is only time consuming and the latter has other ways to cheese.

Are any soul break festivals coming up in the next few months? I've realized that I'd rather just spend my mythril on those all at once, given how bad my luck is with the 11x pulls.

MicH

Are any soul break festivals coming up in the next few months? I've realized that I'd rather just spend my mythril on those all at once, given how bad my luck is with the 11x pulls.
Should be one in December or so that includes new SSBs for Tyro, Tidus, Paladin Cecil and Rinoa

Spending the day doing the equip upgrade daily, between that and synthing out unneeded 3 star weapons (how many ffxii swords do you really need?) I'm finally getting to a pretty manageable inventory.

Nohar

Phew. Mastered Ogopogo despite Sazh kicking the bucket right at the beginning (RES and HP slightly too low...). The boss fight itself was easy enough thanks to Yuna's Hymn of the Faith and Advancetaliate (that I brought just in case... and boy was I happy to have brought it).

I need to complete round 3 against Beatrix (completly forgot about that painting), and I'm done with Elite paintings until the next update.

I don't think I have to worry too much about difficulty for a while (Lucky draws were incredibly generous to me). I will hoard my Mythril for the Super^3 Soul Break Festival and realms in which I lack synergy. I will probably do at least one 11x pull for the FFIX's banner, I could use one more mage weapon and I lack synergy for that realm.

Cloud RM3 on Tyro so he starts with a bar, although you'd need to charge him up for a 2nd shot before the first wears off.

About pulls, look at it this way - if XIII is your weakest synergy, it's not a desperation pull, it's a best practice. Just don't expect anything going in (like always) and your sanity should be fine.
Thanks for the input.
Currently I have some natural 5* melee weapon only for VI and VII.
I have 5* armors for V, VI, (XIII thanks to halloween), XIV.
Mage weapons for IV, VI, IX.

I'd say I'm equally weak on VIII, X, XIII.
Then IX.
Not counting I, II and III since those get skipped anyway.

Jyrii

Banned
Sanctuary Keeper was another boss where the mobs were harder than the boss fight.

Mog suggested bringing Esuna and Dispel, but I didn't end up using either even once.

Edit. Oh, that concluded normal dungeons for me.

Sanctuary Keeper was another boss where the mobs were harder than the boss fight.

Mog suggested bringing Esuna and Dispel, but I didn't end up using either even once.

Edit. Oh, that concluded normal dungeons for me.
Did you ever try the Ultimate Guardian +++ version? Sanctuary keeper can be a load of RNG bullshit if it wants to be.

Mog suggests dispel because it casts buffs on itself. You can put reflect on it to take those buffs yourself but risk taking a tail sweep or photon wings counter in doing so. It can also cast reflect on your party members

As for esuna. Tail sweep can slow and photon wings is a bad breath style piece of RNG shit that shouldn't be in the game doing Sleep, Silence, Blind, Confuse, Sap and its AoE too (thankfully not all of those effects are guaranteed).

I look forward to full breaking that boss. Speaking of which Biran and Yenke are not break resistant in the dungeon. On elite Aqua Breath was doing 200 after full break, magic break and shelga. Yenke is also no longer vunreble to slow swapping this for berserk instead.

Vorpal

Can someone explain why Draw Fire keeps getting mentioned here (I think I missed that ability...) and why people chose to three-man team Barthandelus?

Draw Fire is Taunt-style ability that draws physical attacks to the user and increases the user's defense. I think it was added along with Snow's event but I'm not positive.

The 3-man Barthandelus is an "Event Quest" that was added yesterday. You can accept it when you go to the elite Barthandelus fight and the reward is a Major Holy Orb.

Draw Fire is Taunt-style ability that draws physical attacks to the user. I think it was added along with Snow's event, but I'm not positive.

The 3-man Barthandelus is an "Event Quest" that was added yesterday. You can accept it when you go to the elite Barthandelus fight and the reward is a Major Holy Orb.

Thank you :)

Does the skill Fullbreak stack with other breaks, or does it over write them. What type of % break is it? Like a regular Break or like the Breakdowns?

Jyrii

Banned
These bonus battles were ridiculously easy -
especially the ++ one. You only have to kill one of them! So easy. Alexander hit hard, but still went down fast

The hell? I had major problems in the ++ one.

I barely beat it, but didn't master because of lacking leveled up Hope. I first attacked with debuffs and when I got my Planet Protector up, I switched to retaliate. Still was only able to beat them 3 secs before doom.

I barely beat it, but didn't master because of lacking leveled up Hope. I first attacked with debuffs and when I got my Planet Protector up, I switched to retaliate. Still was only able to beat them 3 secs before doom.

I was able to do it pretty easily with Tyro using Retaliate, Draw Fire, and Advance.

S/L'd once because the first they used was the four wheel attack, but otherwise Retaliate+Draw Fire worked well. Just keep magical mitigation and you're good.

If you use Draw Fire, it trivializes most of the damage. Bring a dedicated knight (probably Snow, since he's required), give him your best armor, stick him in the back row if you're paranoid/using retaliate, and slap Gordon/Refia's Auto-Protect on him. Heavy Armor + Backrow + 100% defense boost from Draw Fire + 1/2 damage from Protect = all physical damage mitigated, leaving your other 4 party members free to defend against the AoE Blizzaga (Magic Breakdown and/or Shell and/or Sentinel Guard) and nuke the everloving crap out of 'em.

So the SSB event is where I can get my missing Tifa memory crystal and be caught up again. All the memory 2 crystals can be obtained before that event or is that event the first time most of them will be attainable?

MicH

So the SSB event is where I can get my missing Tifa memory crystal and be caught up again. All the memory 2 crystals can be obtained before that event or is that event the first time most of them will be attainable?
That event is the first time MC2s for Tyro, Tidus, Paladin Cecil and Rinoa are available

Jyrii

Banned
I might try Nix & Stiria again later on.

But I am more concearned about Alexander now. I have great problems dealing enough dmg, so Doom gets me. Any tips? I rather not waste another 40 stamina.

Razmos

Finished the bonus battles. Didn't lose any medals on the boss rush or shiva.

Shiva was super easy, I had Snow use Draw Fire, along with Full Break, Power Breakdown and Protect. So all their attacks hit Snow multiple times, only doing around 100 damage a hit.

Thankfully they only used Blizzara once.

Alexander was a lot tougher, if only because he kept doublecasting Explosive Fist doing shit tons of damage against the party, I was only barely able to stay alive thanks to using Edwards Fabled Song RW.

Ooof, Barthandelus wasn't easy without any sort of breaks! Doesn't help that Rydia was basically Chocobo Kicking the entire phase 2!

Edit: Boss Rush done too, much easier. Onwards with Ruinga!

That event is the first time MC2s for Tyro, Tidus, Paladin Cecil and Rinoa are available

So in the event where you can catch up on characters and mc1 you HAVE to be caught up on MC2 if you want to have them all? Nice...

Wait does Tyro get attunement 3 from his mc2? That would be crazy

So in the event where you can catch up on characters and mc1 you HAVE to be caught up on MC2 if you want to have them all? Nice...

Nah, he gets another RM that lets you start a dungeon with 1 Soul Break charge, same as Cloud's.

MicH

Well, considering only two will be out before then (Cloud and Squall's) I don't think it's unreasonable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom