• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy: Record Keeper |OT2| I HAVE NO MYTHRIL AND I MUST SHOUT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why are summons so sought after? They're hard as fuck to craft and hone, and I don't think they break the damage cap anyway, so why are they better than just using regular magic?

I got wiped by Gil Turtle, no words.
I didn't read Dr. Mog's stuff and went in with my FFV team only to get obliterated. Blind and elemental nullification / absorption shut down my team so hard.

Galuf had the monk combo; Fires Within = null, Meteor Crush = Heals the Turtle. Same situation for Gilgamest with the knight combo of SC + GC. Bartz was the only reliable one with Lifesipion. Faris had Thief's Revenge and Tempo Flurry (I have her MT+BSB for breaks and forgot to change things up with 3 bosses) and Lenna had Shellga instead of Protectga... It was baaaaaaaaaaad.

I had to keep s/l until I beat the first one, then exited the dungeon and came back with an Ice-based Mage team for my revenge.

RIP 20 STA. Could have went towards the fest tonight. :(

Why are summons so sought after? They're hard as fuck to craft and hone, and I don't think they break the damage cap anyway, so why are they better than just using regular magic?
They hit twice (long before we had the Chain -gas) and are strong AoEs.

Dragner

They are ok, the hit twice and with a high multiplier so you can hit for 2x9999 with a good equiped and buffed mage as AOE damage, They are better than any magic counterpat for AOE battles.

But now with mage bursts they usually have an AOE command so they dont really need them. But now we will get Tiamat that is 3 attacks and Valigarmarda that is ¿4? attacks.

Falk

that puzzling face
Bahamut r3 and Valefor r5 is still a mainstay in many fights where I just want some fire-and-forget. Especially boss rushes and easier bonus battles.

Bonus points for not having to worry about resists.

They are generally not worth going out of your way for anymore; they were excellent early on because of a lack or good area attacks, but now there's a lot of those to choose from.

They DO break the cap, in a roundabout way, their damage is split into two hits, so they CAN go over 9999 in some situations.

greyshark

I've found the 4* Elemental Summons invaluable when hitting weakness - can consistently get 15k+ damage on Ultimate fights.

Alexander is a requirement for me with Holy weak bosses since I have yet to pull any En-Holy soul breaks.

thedan001

I'm doing 4(?) pulls into the XIV banner and wanted to prepare Tiamat for when it comes because Alphinaud bSB does bonus damage to wind attacks and restores charge ability during burst mode

This will make Neo-Bahamut battle much easier which I haven't done yet

Dragner

I'm doing 4(?) pulls into the XIV banner and wanted to prepare Tiamat for when it comes because Alphinaud bSB does bonus damage to wind attacks and restores charge ability during burst mode

This will make Neo-Bahamut battle much easier which I haven't done yet

Have OK Burst? I retried the Bahamut battle this week for fun and giggles and I destroyed him with his BSB alone.

Bahamut r3 and Valefor r5 is still a mainstay in many fights where I just want some fire-and-forget. Especially boss rushes and easier bonus battles.

Bonus points for not having to worry about resists.
I run similar summoners. My Bahamut is r3 but Valefor and Maduin are both r4. Sometimes I'll have a second summoner with r4 Alexander, too. These are especially useful when I'm running them on Garnet (Dagger of Resolve + Divine Guardian) and Yuna (HotF).

thedan001

Have OK Burst? I retried the Bahamut battle this week for fun and giggles and I destroyed him with his BSB alone.

I have OK bsb, I thought the mastery condition was to not use any black magic or physical hits?

I never understood what category OK's burst 2 was...

Or take the L, and kill it asap to get enough medals?

I didn't read Dr. Mog's stuff and went in with my FFV team only to get obliterated. Blind and elemental nullification / absorption shut down my team so hard.
It's pretty ridiculous, 100% counter physical AND magic, two attacks each counter which hit like a truck AND cause blind.

Even with an A-Team I was sweating a little, and that was on the EASIER version of it.

Dragner

I have OK bsb, I thought the mastery condition was to not use any black magic or physical hits?

I never understood what category OK's burst 2 was...

Or take the L, and kill it asap to get enough medals?

I dont know why I mistook Bahamut with Ultima Buster lol. No, you cant use OK for Bahamut Im sorry. He doesnt have synergy anyway.

Maybe you could try a Rydia Burst RW for this battle. She has summon commands.

Anustart

Just did a run in 7891. We frickin smashed ole greg and enkidu.

Greg didn't use Zantetsuken a single time. And my greg was countering 3x every turn lol. Wasn't even close.

Falk

that puzzling face
speaking of Alexander, I got that at r5 too. Hope destroys solar systems with it while his BSB enholy is up.

Dragner

After half an hour tring to do Apocalypse greg with randoms I desist, I couldnt find people that had any idea of doing a party. No death resist, underleveled, overlaping skills, etc... How can pèople be that bad playing this game?. Isnt like this is rocket science or something, we cant go to an apocalypse party without boostgas, or without wall or with 4 healers and 1 dps, that doesnt work ffs.

thedan001

OK Burst is what allowed me to finally beat the Meltdown Nightmare. I hated that dragon's damn elemental changing RNG, oh so much.

OK bsb got me an easy win for meltdown too. Hard part comes now... decide between R2 Curada or Meltdown, lol

I dont know why I mistook Bahamut with Ultima Buster lol. No, you cant use OK for Bahamut Im sorry. He doesnt have synergy anyway.

Maybe you could try a Rydia Burst RW for this battle. She has summon commands.

It's ok, I'm not in a rush to beat it this time. I want to be ready for next time because even if I did win... the Neo-Bahamut ability would be useless for me at this point.

With Neo-Bahamut and the 2nd summoner nightmare means new nightmare lucky pull with summoner relics and the relic pool is smaller so... Good opportunities to get a solid summoner team next month.

This and Orbfest farming, the outlook is already excellent but I wonder how hard Valigarmanda fight will be...

I finished all other nightmares, Neo-Bahamut is my last one. Onion Knight made Curada, Meltdown, and Dervish fights too easy!

I lurve summons. I am sitting on 120 majors to get two of Titan/Ultima/tiamat to r3

Have
Bahamut r3
Valefor r5
Leviathan r4

Going to use the summons orbs from this fest to take Alexander and a lightning one to r4 crossing fingers for alphinauds bsb

WarAdept

Goddamit.

PCXNSiE.jpg

Actually this isn't too bad. Seifer is by far the best out of the trash VIII cast in RK, and this gives me synergy options for Edgar/Mog and a boostaga for VI CMs.

Dragner

Sunbath is one of the best animations in the game. Only for that reason is already worth it. Also is pretty decent for cid missions if you use mog as support.

Now that I have a monk SSB (Galuf's titan's gloves/unshaken resolve), I wonder how I should run Galuf. Thinking life siphon with battleforged and full charge or fires within? obviously meteor crush is only worth the earth damage under this ssb. Lifebane worth using now??? Does invincible last long enough to keep it up perpetually with life siphons after getting, say 2 bars saved up? Fascinating, will have to try some solo battles. Need to check Galuf's MC3 schedule....event 179 and we are on event 159...ouch that is a while.

not even bothering with the gil turtle with the festival starting in 27.3 hrs.

wait a minute here. according to this pdf : https://www.reddit.com/r/FFRecordKeeper/comments/5jkgb0/pdf_compilation_v166_holiday_osb_edition/

I need Galuf to hit 563 atk if using a 20% record materia and under unshaken resolve to have a 5 hit lifebane. Galuf fully dived with zero synergy equips, just using my max weapons, will hit 401 before the 50% boost from the ssb. So should be pretty easy to hit running Galuf with lifesiphon and lifebane. wow.

Dragner

There is a guy in reddit that solos U++ with only galuf. Requires an extreme timing since you cant apply the SSB while it effect is up, but the potential is there.

WarAdept

Now that I have a monk SSB (Galuf's titan's gloves/unshaken resolve), I wonder how I should run Galuf. Thinking life siphon with battleforged and full charge or fires within? obviously meteor crush is only worth the earth damage under this ssb. Lifebane worth using now??? Does invincible last long enough to keep it up perpetually with life siphons after getting, say 2 bars saved up? Fascinating, will have to try some solo battles. Need to check Galuf's MC3 schedule....event 179 and we are on event 159...ouch that is a while.

not even bothering with the gil turtle with the festival starting in 27.3 hrs.

wait a minute here. according to this pdf : https://www.reddit.com/r/FFRecordKeeper/comments/5jkgb0/pdf_compilation_v166_holiday_osb_edition/

I need Galuf to hit 563 atk if using a 20% record materia and under unshaken resolve to have a 5 hit lifebane. Galuf fully dived with zero synergy equips, just using my max weapons, will hit 401 before the 50% boost from the ssb. So should be pretty easy to hit running Galuf with lifesiphon and lifebane. wow.

There's a guy on Reddit that solo's all the bonus battles with Literal God Mode Galuf. It requires some precision timing to refresh the Peerless status, otherwise it's going to miss, but very very possible if you want to set yourself a fun challenge.

I'd love to do it.

Looking over this thread, its clear that ive been playing wrong. I would just load up my highest level people with the best equipment and put the game on auto. Rarely looking at the boss are putting any strategy to it.

Anyways, i got both soul break pieces of equipment for Penelo, I was thinking of replacing Yuna as my healer/summoner.

Looking over this thread, its clear that ive been playing wrong. I would just load up my highest level people with the best equipment and put the game on auto. Rarely looking at the boss are putting any strategy to it.

Anyways, i got both soul break pieces of equipment for Penelo, I was thinking of replacing Yuna as my healer/summoner.

How far along in the game are you?

In the story I'm at the part with Final Fantasy 9 and Final Fantasy 12 coming up to 3.

Not sure how else to judge how far I am.

Is going through the realms essential?
You can switch over to the "timeline" style view for the story dungeons. IIRC, That shows all of the available dungeons in the game regardless of if you have them unlocked or not.

You will want to work your way through all of the classic and elite dungeons. They have Mythril and Stamina Shards as rewards. Mythril is a finite resource and story dungeons are the biggest source for them, while increasing your maximum stamina can only be done by collecting the shards.

In the story I'm at the part with Final Fantasy 9 and Final Fantasy 12 coming up to 3.

Not sure how else to judge how far I am.

Is going through the realms essential?

So you're playing the game pretty normally for someone at that stage. Strategizing and optimizing comes into play when you start trying to do the events. For example, you could go do the FFV event right now and see how far you get (you should do it regardless because you'll get some free characters). You'll find that not too far in you'll start getting crushed, and that auto battle doesn't work anymore :)

Going through the realms is essential because:

1) You earn some characters
2) You get tons of free orbs and mythril
3) It's the only real way to increase your stamina, which is very important.

In doing so, you should start trying to create some useful abilities to help you out in the event dungeons (as well as with some of the elites which you've probably already unlocked but aren't strong enough to clear).

WarAdept

In the Footsteps of Greatness U+ CM

Amateur hour. I have no idea what I was thinking. Double healer is sound because despite 4 layers of mitigation, Scorcher hits like crazy without Wall and (I didn't know this at the time) is guarenteed at set HP% intervals. I was wondering why I was getting x3 Scorchers in a row every time. But Box Step Sarabande and Armour Breakdown? Failbus. Should've put Protectga on Cait Sith as well so Aerith could concentrate on ST heals and using her SSB medica.

In hindsight, probably should've just ran with Tifa instead of Cait due to self healing from Fires Within.

M8mlK9R.jpg

In the Footsteps of Greatness U++

Bahamut exploded under the weight of Mage meta.

TvfyVcV.jpg

thedan001

Any banners show up tomorrow, or nothing for orbfest?

From reddit (user TehOlive)

EVENTS BEGINNING OVER THE COURSE OF ORBFEST

20 Dec: Heir of the Dawn (FFV)
22 Dec: Golden Roulette (Oh look! Orbfest!)
Orb Fest 12/22/16 - 01/03/17
Phase 1: Summon/Ice/Earth
Phase 2: Fire/Dark/White
Phase 3: Black/Power/Wind
Phase 4: Holy/Non-Elemental/Lightning
Weapon/Armor Upgrade Materials are available throughout, and should not reset with each phase, get them done whenever for the free Mythril.
24 Dec: In the Footsteps of Greatness Event Ends
26 Dec: OSB Fest begins with Ward of the Four Crystals Event.
Phase/Banner 1 26 Dec. Valigarmanda
Phase/Banner 2 28 Dec. The Earth Guardian
Phase/Banner 3 30 Dec. Ochu
Phase/Banner 4 1 Jan. Rubicante
Phase/Banner 5 3 Jan. Ultima Weapon
31 Dec: Lady of the Vortex Event Begins (XIV, also banner 1)

Orbfest farming starts tomorrow with summon/ice/earth
orbs.

OSB fest starts Dec 26 with banner 1.

Nothing in between it looks like.

thedan001

I was hoping multiplayer had 4* motes as a random reward just like d160 has 3* motes in random reward for winning.

This is not the case, only 1 time reward.

Makes me mad!

Dragner

Later on 4* motes will become farmable on multiplayer, idk exactly when and it seems to be a bit painful because is tied to the Ap+ difficulty (d220).

Those Gil Turtles blind my team and actually hurt with their attacks. I'm on the 2nd cave and should I even bother? Screw it, just did dailies instead. Spent almost all my stamina. It'll be back when Orbfest starts.

ccbfan

Anyone else been using "mage RW" (or whatever its called) meta lately.

Makes a lot of fights trivial. The general strategy is

Does enemy have elemental weakness? If yes use a BSB with that element attack skill (Rinoa, Serah, Vivi, ect). If no then use Maria BSB. (BSSB->Skill2->Skill1x4)

My general strategy is

Krile - (Weakness skills or mastery skills) + Sheep SSB
Tyro - Mind Breakdown + Full Break + SG
Relm - Curaja + protect + Curaga Medica
Arc - Curaja + sheel +Physical Blink Medica
Best Mage of that Realm with best magic gear and RM - (Weakness skills or mastery skills)

First turn

Krile -> Sheep SSB
Tyro -> SG
Arc -> Shellga
Relm -> Protectga
Best Mage of that Realm - RW

Krile will RW second turn while Tyro breaks resist, healers spam heal and Best Mage spam multi hit attack.

Basically give you mage meta without spending any 5* orbs.

Tidd

^ Yep, mage meta is pretty good. The damage you can deal is insane.

And I'm finally up-to-date with all Nightmare dungeons for the first time. God, was Atomos easy. RW Lightning's Burst and two Dismissal user including Zack with his interrupting helicopter attack and he never saw Phase 2 until the last two hits. :D

greyshark

The 5 stage gil turtle dungeon reminded me of the old boss rushes - planning your honed ability uses and having to strategically decide when to use your RW was fun. BSB's of course trivialize all of this but I was glad I didn't bring them - made for a more rewarding experience.

The battles themselves are pretty straightforward - Mages w/Ice spells and equip Major Blind resist accessory on your Spellblader. The 100% counter was annoying - having an SB that gave Heavy Regen really helped.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom