• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy: Record Keeper |OT2| I HAVE NO MYTHRIL AND I MUST SHOUT

Status
Not open for further replies.

WarAdept

Well now I'm scared to try Soulcage now, considering how much people hate him here and on Reddit. Going to be fun with my no synergy IX gear! (Except Golem Flute, but that ain't gonna save me).

Road

Real talk, I'm frustrated with Soulcage. I mastered it with the team before but I don't like the feeling of almost failing. Tried again with a physical team (had to use Garnet default soul break, my kingdom for Aeris' ribbon):

ohu78.png

Master, but I still was on the verge of losing it all by the end, when Sentinel Grimoire runs out. I guess this is the best I can do without better soul breaks or FFIX 5* synergy.

I could've sworn it was in the story dungeons as he's a story character, but it looks like I'm wrong and it's event only

Oh is that ffrk strategy site wrong? It only lists his MC as an event reward.

IIRC, Wakka's MC was in some elite dungeon reward, but it was bugging for people who already had it from the event, so Dena "fixed" it by removing it from the elite dungeon.

MrDaravon

I don't want to bump the puzzle thread since you're on vacation and away from it falk, but I just want you to know me and my wife bought and are doing our first puzzle in like 15+ years now and looking at other ones on amazon. I blame you for this.

Jyrii

Banned
I had very little difficulties with Writhing Creatures. Also my Zidane was a savant with Dark Buster. It stick on the first try on all bosses.

Only problems I had was with Ralvuimago, since Terra had ran out of non-honed blizzaja at that time.

Falk

that puzzling face
Man, I tried doing +++ without fire abilities for a change and it didn't go nearly as well.

Even Vivi with his r2 Meteor/r4 Waterja ran out of shit to cast at the end hahahah

tl;dr juggling his burning state may be more RNG since it requires his counter/interrupt to miss, but at least it's a shorter burst of RNG. I don't think I'd have been able to do it without Fire zerging him prior to Full Break r2 (which beating it the first time gave enough power orbs for)

oxT5RSBl.jpg

No idea if I want to continue farming him. Having to S/L about 3-4 times on average to get Blind to stick is a huge pain and there have been far easier +++s in the past. Next time an easy +++ comes about I'll just recall this BS fight and go farm that one instead.

edit: Rolled an Ice Staff so now Blizzaja is going to hit 20% harder than the other 4* spells. Game is trolling me because it read on GAF that I don't have Blizzaja. Now I have to craft and hone it.

image.php

This is a really funny DeNA gaffe:
MRh28Gp.jpg

Will probably be fixed by the time the event actually comes out. Should note the event seems pretty stingy with gear though (Crusdaer Mask+, Thunder Rod+...wait, an FFV synergy weapon in an FFX event?) which really sucks for newcomers.

In other news here is a video of soulcage beaten with free equipment only:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01vDVX6R8GQ
They say in the description it did take a number of S/L and given how they seem to get really lucky with the AoE physical attacks (even under blind they hit a few targets on average) I'm inclined to agree.
Not tried yet

I have to wonder if packing double Curaga (or even Curaga+Curaja) for safety would be better since it is undead so you can cap the condition that way.

Falk

that puzzling face
Anecdotally for me Leaf Swirl and the fire counter have a lower hit rate than the other blast he does. This is across 4 kills and about 15 S/Ls, maybe 5 of them which went anywhere then fell apart later. As in, a horribly small sample size. What really hurt was his magic attack, especially unmitigated and/or when he's burning.

edit: Also Renewing Cure is holy shit good on this fight since it negates both Mustard and sap RMs. (I guess at this point it's kind of captain obvious)

Red Mage

Hey, Waaaazzzy! Guess what I got on my JP account? Squall's BSSB (Twinlance)!

It's a 4-hit physical damage on all enemies and then activates Burst Mode. During Burst Mode Squall (or the person who summons him) gains access to Renzokuken Flame (4-hit fire/non-elemental damage on target) and Renzokuken Wind (4-hit wind/non-elemental damage on target); ATK+10 for learning. The way the dual elements work is that if it's weak versus the element it uses that element, otherwise it's non-elemental.

Oh, and I only had enough mats to get it to level 8 but it's already over 100 ATK. xD

Anecdotally for me Leaf Swirl and the fire counter have a lower hit rate than the other blast he does. This is across 4 kills and about 15 S/Ls, maybe 5 of them which went anywhere then fell apart later. As in, a horribly small sample size. What really hurt was his magic attack, especially unmitigated and/or when he's burning.

edit: Also Renewing Cure is holy shit good on this fight since it negates both Mustard and sap RMs. (I guess at this point it's kind of captain obvious)

Just don't use it on Soul Cage. It'll restore about 7k/per click if you do.

Red Mage

So after SSB we get BSSB? Oh man the power creep is real

BSSBs are awesome. Not only do you do insane damage (Squall's is 1.5 x all enemies x4), but they unlock "Burst Mode" which grants you haste and special abilities for three turns. I forget what Yuna's are, but Cloud's are basically Blitz and Barrage. I've been using them to clear everything up to the boss rushes on events with level 50 or lower characters.

FYI, the first BSSB is IMMEDIATELY after the SSB/1 year anniversary, so don't blow all your mythril on it.

Falk

that puzzling face
I'd rather save for Yell tbh. Can RW any BSSB depending on situation, but having to RW Yell every time seems like it'd be a pain in the ass.

Falk

that puzzling face
Essentially ATK+50 (damage x2 more or less) + Hastega.

Since the Shellga/Protectga component of Boon/LH is replaceable by abilities (or even Eiko default SB, heh), ATK buff + Hastega as a replacement for go-to RW is ridiculous good

So I took Soulcage down. Rusty retaliate strategy used surrounded by mitigation; 2 white mages had start battle w/haste RM (protectga,curaja,shelga,curaga), Wakka (full break,magic breakdown), medal requirement (dark buster, steal power). From beating it I now have full break R2 which would make re-runs easier (while most content has been dying) but, as nice as a good shot at a 3* or 4* summon orbs for 40 stamina is, I'll pass as it was pretty tense.

Anecdotally for me Leaf Swirl and the fire counter have a lower hit rate than the other blast he does. This is across 4 kills and about 15 S/Ls, maybe 5 of them which went anywhere then fell apart later. As in, a horribly small sample size.
Given leaf swirl missed my entire party before it was blinded, it I agree that is lacks 100% accuracy.

Jyrii

Banned
Mastered it on the second time luckily. Zidane wasn't savant on applying blind this time. Slow hit on the first attack but blind only on the eight (and last skill use).

Soul cage wasn't too bad, but I do have ridiculous ix defensive synergy now. I did gone steal power to r2 for the battle but it probably wasn't necessary to use, probably should have just used tempo flurry with zidane along with dark buster.

ZangBa

Soulcage is pretty much impossible for me. I have no good SB's, no RS equipment, and if somehow manage to blind him and get shellga off before he annilates me, it's only a matter of time until he spams fira and kills everyone anyway. Of course even with blind, an attack slips through anyway so I can never keep up with healing.

Jyrii

Banned
Wohoo, was able to master Soulcage.

Probably would have failed, but Zidane's dark buster landed just a bit after the last one had ended. Also he did amazing dmg with Planet Protector powered Scoop Art.

Probably wouldn't been able to complete that if I hadn't got Butterfly sword in the Lucky draw.

Jyrii

Banned
Soulcage is pretty much impossible for me. I have no good SB's, no RS equipment, and if somehow manage to blind him and get shellga off before he annilates me, it's only a matter of time until he spams fira and kills everyone anyway. Of course even with blind, an attack slips through anyway so I can never keep up with healing.

It helps if Soulcage uses Mustard bomb as the first attack. That way you can get shellga up + hopefully blind.

But yeah, that is damn hard fight.

Falk

that puzzling face

There was a YT video with nothing but free items (IX event items, pumpkin, witch's hat, zantetsuken etc) with the disclaimer/caveat that it took an ungodly amount of retries.

Not sure if it's even worth it, heh.

Here is the setup* i used for Soulcage if its any help to people, got Mastery at first attempt without much trouble:

imagesbjyn.png

Mako Might on Y'Shtola was a must to get mitigation up, and Blind hit first time. From there on it was a straight up nuke all the way.

*RW was actually Boon, i took the screen afterward and had no Boons on the list.

ZangBa

It helps if Soulcage uses Mustard bomb as the first attack. That way you can get shellga up + hopefully blind.

But yeah, that is damn hard fight.

I've had this happen once out of maybe 30 attempts now, it was my best attempt and I got him to about 45% before consecutive fira casts wiped me out. :/

There was a YT video with nothing but free items (IX event items, pumpkin, witch's hat, zantetsuken etc) with the disclaimer/caveat that it took an ungodly amount of retries.

Not sure if it's even worth it, heh.

I think I saw that on the subreddit page, but yeah, I'm pretty sure it's completely luck based for my current situation. I really just want the MPO's at least, but I can't even manage to finish it.

Jyrii

Banned
Drunken by the success against Soulcage, I decided to continue my elites.

I chose next one in the list, which was Odin in III. I feared Zantetsuken, but after power breakdown and protectga it did only like 600 dmg (back row). Easy retaliate win.

LucaMac

Noticed that in Japan a second retaliate to a double cut doesn't carry over to the next wave...is it slowly being gradually nerfed I wonder? Other than that I'm seriously enjoying the new UI and orb conversion etc. New players can really catch up quickly. Especially with the BSSBs to carry them for a while. I got all but one memory crystal 2 from the second event (Basch, just finished) that was live when I started, did up to the Ex+. First event (Vincent) cleared as far as the boss rush. I'm running around with a full XII party and going to find it hard to switch back to leveling others. The rolling gatcha is a serious loss to global. I've been doing all single pulls bar a few offers, and just pulling til you get a five star generally does the job. If it comes to global 11 pulls are dead to me bar lucky draws etc.

*Meanwhile in global, opens, gets trounced and closes the Soulcage fight again before returning to Japanese server for a bit, weeping quietly as this time around the health got so low Lucamac thought he had won*

Balphon

Soulcage did nothing but cast Fira when I killed him this morning.

It was rather obnoxious.

EDIT: Zidane is a total waste of space in the encounter, too.

ZangBa

Well, I managed to do it after spending 80 stamina rearranging abilities and kicking Zidane's ass to the curb. I have a feeling I could master this now with the right RNG, but it just isn't worth the frustration. I wish these +++ fights had the boss at least start slowly enough to allow your team to get mitigation off even with an empty ATB bar, just so it cuts down on the S/Ling. The challenge would still be there without it being annoying AF in the beginning.

WarAdept

Soulcage is an obnoxious boss but I was more prepared for this than Jenova Life/Death spam.

A few S/L's, but Eiko had Zidane's RM so I was always able to get some form of mitigation up easy and from there, it was basically pray Blindga hits.

I'm thinking Eiko will be my main WM now, since I have her relic. I'm sorry Y'shtola. You're super useful with your Breakdowns but Hastega + Medica is too good.

MrDaravon

Wow, I'm literally completely out of armor to spend upgrade mats on lol. Goddamn I need items. Maybe I should pull on the FF9 banner.

Assuming I don't, are armor mats worthwhile enough to use in upgrading for weapons, or am I better off just selling them for Gil?

Balphon

Wow, I'm literally completely out of armor to spend upgrade mats on lol. Goddamn I need items. Maybe I should pull on the FF9 banner.

Assuming I don't, are armor mats worthwhile enough to use in upgrading for weapons, or am I better off just selling them for Gil?

Gil is much easier to come by than upgrade materials. You'll probably use them eventually.

If they are taking up space they're better than using other equipment to upgrade weapons.

MrDaravon

Gil is much easier to come by than upgrade materials. You'll probably use them eventually.

If they are taking up space they're better than using other equipment to upgrade weapons.

Yeah it's going to become more an inventory issue sooner rather than later since I've only got 150 slots right now. Waiting to upgrade inventory space until I really need to.

Probably need to start running the Gil dungeon soon, I'm down to like 400k right now, I got up to about 1 mil doing Orbfest.

WarAdept

I have 17m Gil at the moment and not maximising it or my Adamantite/Scarletite at all (due to the fact that I have super limited space at 175). Whatever comes up first in my list of upgradable equipment, I'll drop all my upgrade mats on it, regardless of what it is.

Hope it doesn't bite me in the ass with some 5m hone or something, but for now, I feel like Gil is a complete throwaway thing.

Balphon

Upgrade mats will balloon to take up whatever open space you have. I am at 464/500 right now (about 100 of which is large adamantites alone) and have hit 500/500 more than a few times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom