• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy: Record Keeper |OT2| I HAVE NO MYTHRIL AND I MUST SHOUT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Falk

that puzzling face
What's your max stam at? Not sure if going ham with refreshing would be the best use of it at this point if you started a week ago.

Good medium term goal is Quake, with, which BM RM2 eventually lets you recharge it for AOEing out trash waves.

It uses 4* Black, Dark and Earth orbs, 2 out of 3 drop on this phase.

Cloud's MC is locked behind a rather difficult Elite, BUT his SSB event is just around the corner and should be a freebie MC1. MC2 might be tricky at your stage, but having Cloud at 65 at least will help you with a lot of content.

Razmos

Priority wise who should I level? I can probably have 2 or 3 leechers in my party and still able to complete stages. Rydia for aga spells, Ashe for Healing (probably not necessary), and a sword and light armor user (2 items where I have 5 star equips), is pretty much all I need to complete Heroic stages with the help of helpers. I really only have to complete one part since mt helper skills destroys the other 2.
Black Mage, White Mage and Summoner (core classes) are a MUST. Their record materia are incredibly useful and a staple of any team (Black Mage and White Mage especially, but Summoner becomes useful later on)

Might be a good idea to browse through your followers list every few days during the Orb Fest. Who knows what the people following you that you did not follow back are now using! That's a Mutual Follower right away if one change to Advance or any other interesting one.

ccbfan

What's your max stam at? Not sure if going ham with refreshing would be the best use of it at this point if you started a week ago.

Good medium term goal is Quake, with, which BM RM2 eventually lets you recharge it for AOEing out trash waves.

It uses 4* Black, Dark and Earth orbs, 2 out of 3 drop on this phase.

Cloud's MC is locked behind a rather difficult Elite, BUT his SSB event is just around the corner and should be a freebie MC1. MC2 might be tricky at your stage, but having Cloud at 65 at least will help you with a lot of content.

Have 68 stamina. I don't really plan to refresh at this point yet. Just gonna spend my mythrils on the 4 half price 11 rolls.

I've only missing earth orbs for Quake, so I'll probably have that by the end of this event.

Black Mage, White Mage and Summoner (core classes) are a MUST. Their record materia are incredibly useful and a staple of any team (Black Mage and White Mage especially, but Summoner becomes useful later on)

Looks like black mage is next for levelling.

Also record materia, can anyone use them or can only bm equip bm record materia? Cause their stats seem pretty crappy when compared to a Rydia which can do 5* black and summon.

Razmos

Looks like black mage is next for levelling.

Also record materia, can anyone use them or can only bm equip bm record materia? Cause their stats seem pretty crappy when compared to a Rydia which can do 5* black and summon.
Once a record materia is unlocked, anyone can use it. So you can give Black Mages record materia to Rydia (and vice versa)

Balphon

What's your friend code? I'll follow back if it helps. I probably did before but to reduce trips to Fabul Castle and a few headaches I reduced those I'm following to less than 10 and have crept back up to 14 since.

etPY if you want Death Blossom.

Though if you don't add me I'll probably end up summoning you more often. Decisions, decisions!

Wazzy

Banned
Clouds 80 MC isn't out yet right? I just want to make sure if it's coming up or already happened.

Also what should I aim for with this orb event? I have a lot of abilities created and potentially I can upgrade but a good idea of what to do would help a lot, especially with the major orbs.

Clouds 80 MC isn't out yet right? I just want to make sure if it's coming up or already happened.

Also what should I aim for with this orb event? I have a lot of abilities created and potentially I can upgrade but a good idea of what to do would help a lot, especially with the major orbs.

I would think that the Cloud MC2 / Barrett event would start a few days after the current FF6 event ends (likely Mon the 26th). However, if the Orb Celebration is it's own special thing then we will end up having 3 events running concurrently.

I also wonder if those new relics, particularly Cloud's SSB, will be added into the Lucky Draw banners then or if it will remain with what is currently available.

Falk

that puzzling face
Yeah, like I outlined in my overall plan on the previous page, Cloud's SSB event actually has the perfect intersecting timing with Orbfest, since having him solo with Bladeblitz r3 and Drain Strike is by far the fastest (IRL time) per repetition*. Which falls right in line with getting his MC2, then splurging the most on Stage 3 and just doing it as fast as possible to only waste 3.5-4 stam per refresh. (In contrast I'm patiently waiting 20 minutes and refreshing at 0 stamina for the other 3 stages)

Tentative datamined date is 21st, meaning the bonus battles (and MC2) drops 24th.

*edit: Just for comparison's sake, I timed it with a stopwatch, and the enemies taking 2 actions and THEN Cloud using Bladeblitz is STILL faster than using Ramuh or Meteor as the first action. Unless it's a long ass enemy animation like Wind Slash. I'm tempted to just make another r1 Bladeblitz to get it up to 8 uses (r3 + r1) so it goes even faster, and then disassemble that second Bladeblitz in a few months. (lol)

edit2: @above re SSB banner in lucky draw, I doubt it, as the lucky draw explanation explicitly states all relics up to Oct 18th.

edit3: Added screenie. Right smack in the middle

w64acTrl.jpg

Jyrii

Banned
... I only now realized that Cloud's MC have been available all along in that XIII elite.

I haven't used him in ages because of the level cap.

From Reddit:

So, I don't know how widespread this information is, but apparently, the way the event worked in Japan, was that, if you did NOT see a Cactuar OR a Gigantuar in the first stage of the dungeon, you will NOT see one in either stage 2 or 3.

Can anyone confirm the validity of this statement for our event?

Falk

that puzzling face
Don't think anyone can confirm the validity of that statement, only refute it. At best odds approach zero since it's possible no matter how infinitesimally likely to just have every single occurrence adhere to that in a totally uniform distribution. Will let you know if I run into the contrary.

Don't think anyone can confirm the validity of that statement, only refute it. At best odds approach zero since it's possible no matter how infinitesimally likely to just have every single occurrence adhere to that in a totally uniform distribution. Will let you know if I run into the contrary.

Yea my bad, I just need someone to refute it which should be fast if the statement is false.

Nohar

Alright, results of day one (not counting rewards from Mastery and First Time completion):
  • Too many 3* orbs to count (really should have written down how much I had before the event; I have now 1003 Black Orbs, 445 Thunder Orbs and 677 Dark Orbs)
  • 1337 stamina spent (yes, I really spent that exact number, assuming I didn't mess my math; nope, wasn't on purpose)
  • 8 Mythril spent for refreshes
  • [6] 4* Black Orb
  • [12] 4* Lightning Orb
  • [14] 4* Dark Orb
  • [0] 5* Black Orb
  • [2] 5* Lightning Orb
  • [2] 5* Dark Orb
My runs became less and less rewarding with time, with the last one rewarding me with only two 4* Dark Orbs. On the other side of the spectrum, my second run awarded me with 3 Major orbs.
Will post my spreadsheet at the end of the event.

johnsmith

remember me
Reddit oversold the orb fest and these real numbers aren't very impressive. Definitely going to use my mythril to do an 11 pull on every banner.

Falk

that puzzling face
Just proved it wrong as well, 0 tuars stage 1 and 2, two cactuars stage 3.

What can I say? Some of us in 2015 still haven't shucked our ancient neanderthal trappings where it's a survival instinct to attempt to decipher patterns, because if you didn't you'd get eaten by a tiger or something.

edit: I beg to differ to be honest. It's not 3* orbs, nor 4* orbs, nor 5* orbs that this event excels at. It's a combination of them all, and is the best return for a good while, till Harvest Festival.

Like, an extremely abstracted way to get the point across (Numbers not to scale, but to make a point)

Daily dungeon: 3 units of 3* orbs per stamina bar
Elite farming: 3 units of 4* orbs per stamina bar
+++ (or certain Elite) farming: 3 units of 5* orbs per stamina bar
XP daily: 3 units of XP per stamina bar
Gold daily: 3 units of gold per stamina bar

People were mistakenly hyping themselves up to the point where they thought Orb dungeon would yield 4 units of everything, completely outclassing 3, 4, and 5* returns simultaneously. That was simply hyperbole. It's more accurate to say that while Orb dungeon might return 2 units of everything per stamina bar for a total of 10, vs 3 units of the alternatives, and thus it would only be more efficient usage of stamina to do the alternatives like elite or daily dungeon farming if you were going after one specific thing, especially when you consider the random nature of Orb dungeon dividing between three schools.

However, even if you hit fully capping every single character, and have so much gil that it doesn't matter, Orb dungeon would still yield 2+2+2 = 6 units per stam bar, as opposed to 3 units in a specific endeavor. That's what people are misunderstanding. Yes, you don't get to pick e.g. a ton of a specific orb, but with combination coming down the road, everything counts, and every 5* flavor is useful (outside of Dark, which relies on cannibalizing your Lightning stash for Odin) Again, keep in mind those numbers are abstracted and not to scale. Merely to get a point across in terms of relative scale.

Is it a significant Mythril investment? Yes. Is it an absolutely tedious IRL grind? Yes as well. But in term of medium-term min-max, it's still simply the best use of stamina (and by extension stamina refreshing, if you can afford the Mythril) by a decent shot.

That being said, if you're short on Mythril, (and especially if you're short on gear) absolutely prioritize the four lucky pulls. With the caveat that those are even more prone to RNG and you can end up with nothing, despite how good the rates are*.

:(

Reddit oversold the orb fest and these real numbers aren't very impressive. Definitely going to use my mythril to do an 11 pull on every banner.

Some people will luck out like some people got 6-8 5* on the Lucky Draw but yea, overall it's not that great.

So far refreshing won't pay up until Orb conversion for me... I get to level characters I guess. I am not impressed by what I get from refreshing with Mythril but I am even less impressed with what I got for 25 Mythrils yesterday on Lucky Draw. Sold 8 out of 11 items, probably won't use the 3 3* I combined to 3*+...

Oh well, the wind might turn on other Lucky Draws and I might start to get Major Orb at some point! I really rarely see any form of Cactuars.

Just proved it wrong as well, 0 tuars stage 1 and 2, two cactuars stage 3.

What can I say? Some of us in 2015 still haven't shucked our ancient neanderthal trappings where it's a survival instinct to attempt to decipher patterns, because if you didn't you'd get eaten by a tiger or something.

My last run proved this false.

Thanks! The source stating that it was the case in JP is a very reliable one so I got curious.

Edit: just went back to the source which states this in a different light than the post I quoted. It says:

unlike Golden Week event, there's no pattern of Sabotender (Cactrot) appearances. During GW, if they did not show up in wave 1 they would not show up for the remaining waves. Now they can show up whenever.

Wave 1 and stage 1 is a totally different thing. If the case was waves in JP, there is nothing anyone could do about it anyway since you wasted the stamina already. We will be able to refute this pretty quickly too if it's the case (just for fun).

Double edit: Well, it's not true either way. It's just different from JP or they had it differently.

broz0rs

For GAF statistical purposes.

Six runs at Heroic Orb dungeon.

3 Greater Dark Orbs
1 Greater Lightening Orb

There goes the idea of myself using stam refreshes for this event.

Getting all named characters to 50/65, 15-20-25m gold in the bank and >500 3* orbs of desired types is absolutely worth the grind in my book. Some orbs I'll have up to 1k, meaning an easy 100 greater orbs when the time comes. The greater orbs and majors are not the goal for me, they are niceties. It I'm not going to get enough to hone meteor or all the Aja tier spells up to r4. I have a Japan game going now, I know the drill for the festivals.

Getting all named characters to 50/65, 15-20-25m gold in the bank and >500 3* orbs of desired types is absolutely worth the grind in my book. Some orbs I'll have up to 1k, meaning an easy 100 greater orbs when the time comes. The greater orbs and majors are not the goal for me, they are niceties. It I'm not going to get enough to hone meteor or all the Aja tier spells up to r4. I have a Japan game going now, I know the drill for the festivals.

Yea that's what I still do it. Doing it for 3-4* only for immediate use might disappoint. I will be happy to not have to worry for gils for a while and I will still get enough 4* to hone things like Thundaja to R4. On Orb conversion day I will be one happy keeper!

Falk

that puzzling face
Just got Cactuar on Wave 2 of Stage 1

And another on Wave 3 of Stage 2

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Wouldn't be able to prove jack shit about the claims if they're actually referring to a different Golden Week event though, unless someone wants to trawl through a bunch of youtube videos.

Razmos

Yeah the exp is more than worth the grind. I've gotten Rinoa and Squall to level 64 now and I'm working on Tyro and Aerith.

Not sure who I'm going to level up next.

Nohar

Managed to bring Samurai, Gladiator and Mystic Knight to 50 (I need to do Dragoon, Ninja, Hunter, Knight, Red Mage and Dark Knight), Ashe to 50 (was 40-ish), Vaan to 57 (was 40-ish²), Terra to 62 (was 51), Strago to 47 (from level 28), and Auron to 65 (was 60). I'll focus more on story characters now (still need to level up a few relevant ones, such as Galuf, FFXII and FFXIII crew), though I'll keep at least 1 core in my team.

I just spam Quake with my Terra (equipped with an Auto-Haste materia). Once she is 65, I'll switch her with Ashe, then Maria/Golbez/Tellah depending on how fast they reach level 50/65.

Falk

that puzzling face
Fallen don't

XP capped characters do (and waste it)

Fallen XP capped characters don't. (HEHEHE)

Yeah the exp is more than worth the grind. I've gotten Rinoa and Squall to level 64 now and I'm working on Tyro and Aerith.

Not sure who I'm going to level up next.
Personally I'm going by who has MC coming soon. So Ninja and Red XIII (next dungeon update) then Galuf and Stargo (events in a months time) as do Paladin Cecil and Tidus (catch up event in two months time has these two MC2).

Though to be honest at the end of the event you might be pulling of straws of "I suppose Selfie gets her MC2 in 6 months time" at which point you might want to switch to RM drops *shudder*.

Razmos

I really think 4* orbs should have been guaranteed for the normal sized cactuars. As it stands, if you are "lucky" enough for a cactuar to show up, you have a chance of actually getting less orbs than you would do normally. (1 3* orb compared to the 2 3* orbs you usually get)

It's kinda silly considering how rare they are.

Gigantuars are fine though.

Falk

that puzzling face
4*s are 'guaranteed' from Gigantuars.

In my (tiny sample size) Cactuars seem to drop 50-50 3* and 4*s, while Gigantuars seem 33-67 on 4*s and 5*s.

Falk

that puzzling face
~10 from daily login

A bunch from Cloud event

Possibly some from Dungeon Update

12 more from Orbfest stage 2-4 itself.

First 11 pull of the event got me Ysholta's 5 star robe which is my first soul break heal which I guess makes her my best healer by default now?

broz0rs

I'd gem the shit out of the lucky draws if I had to. I was fortunate enough to have saved enough Mythril by doing only Cult of Three pulls each banner prior to this event.

10 runs in now. Still dreaming of my first encounter with a Gigantaur.

First 11 pull of the event got me Ysholta's 5 star robe which is my first soul break heal which I guess makes her my best healer by default now?

It's a darn good SB. AoE Cura is great for keeping everyone topped off, and Esuna comes in surprisingly useful. It saved my butt against the Elite Demon Walls in FFXII's dungeons when they blinded my retaliator or silenced my mage.

Falk

that puzzling face
All these Jesus-tier pulls

I still don't even have neg pro

edit: wrong game

edit2:

iDRuTRDl.jpg

ENOUGH WITH THE DARK ORBS ALREADY

Oh wow even the highest difficulty is kind of a joke, seems like this'll be another great event for catching the non 50 characters up to 50

Razmos

Aerith with her new AoE heal soul break is going to be replacing Rydia as my summoner, so I'm going to have 2 AoE heals on my team combined with Y'Shtola's healer robe.

Hmmmm all those heals.

6 stamina refreshes used and not a single major orb. Looks like won't be getting R4 meteor
I would need odds beyond Mr. pulled 8 5*s to do that

Falk

that puzzling face
FuBUQIW.png

tl;dr, 20 mythril refreshes in, I have

5* orb x 4 (made a mistake earlier with counts because of the mastery rewards)
4* orb x 66
3* orb x 1079

This is including wasting between 0 and 1 stam on each refresh (waited it out per cycle) and 20 hours worth of natural stamina refilling.

Saw a shit ton of Gigantuars (LUCKY!) but they only dropped 4 majors total (UNLUCKY!). Outside of that rather shitty streak, results seem right on target with the 160 Mythril breakdown a few pages back.

Might actually bump it up to 180 Mythril (more on summon orb stage), but we'll see.

Jarekx

This event is a godsend after having to completely start over a couple weeks back. I didn't get jack on my half price pull but the orbs are helping me get some abilities up to snuff.

I'm sitting at 200 mythril and may do 5 refills a day, though I only have 80 stamina so that' s a bit wasteful.

Just hoping my next lucky draw pays out with some good stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom