• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy: Record Keeper |OT2| I HAVE NO MYTHRIL AND I MUST SHOUT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Falk

that puzzling face
Hi y'all! Need some advice on what's currently the most useful abilities to hone (for the International version of the game).

So far, I've been relying mostly on:

Curaga
Phoenix / Ixion / Alexander
Pound / Dismissal
Blizzaja / Firaja / Thundaja / Waterja
Armor / Magic/ Power / Mind (Breaks)

Are there other abilities that are generally more useful in a wide range of scenarios than situational?

r4 Maduin, Valefor, or both. (Of course, r5 is also preferable, but 2 r4s is infinitely more useful than 1 r5)

Having a summoner able to cast 8 times on a boss (after clearing out trash waves) is going to be eternally useful, not dependant on resistance/vulnerabilities and almost always able to hit 9999 with most conventional setups.

It takes a shit ton of 4* wind/NE/Summon orbs to get there though.

Dear Diary:

Black Mage can't equip Meteor

:(

These * caps are ridiculous. I unlocked Strago and was pretty excited to use him, but nope can't use Meteor...so he ain't getting to play.
You'd think their actual ATK, MAG etc stats would be enough without sticking shitty limits on them.
Can they use black magic? Then they should be able to use it all.

NeoForte

3 5*
Cecil's Shield
Fran's bow
Edward's harp

uhhh..... kind of suck. Cecil shield is probably the worst character relic being a freaking SHIELD and a 3* knight ability. I would rather have noble sacrifice, as long Tyro can use it as a retaliator weapon.

Sentinel can also draw single target magics to Cecil. I think (just from eyeballing) it has a higher damage reduction. I wouldn't scoff at it. Plus once you master it, you can equip him with more defensive armors or helms.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
r4 Maduin, Valefor, or both. (Of course, r5 is also preferable, but 2 r4s is infinitely more useful than 1 r5)

Having a summoner able to cast 8 times on a boss (after clearing out trash waves) is going to be eternally useful, not dependant on resistance/vulnerabilities and almost always able to hit 9999 with most conventional setups.

What's the functional difference between Valefor and Maduin anyway?

I'm satisfied with my draw, I got Tifa's Grand Glove and Luneth's Tyrfing. My friend code is eyzB if anyone still needs Luneth's advance.

Sent a request. I can always use another Advance friend. I have Lunatic High up currently but change around for events.

When do we get Celes' memory crystal?

a7a2Puql.jpg

I now have:
2 Valkyrie
2 Balamb Garden Uniforms
Fuujin's Chakram
Minotaur Plate
Shear Trigger

On my way to being Wazzy junior.

elty

How many more mythril we will get through the orbfest?

I see

4 per phase = 12
13 more daily mythril = 13
at least one from login bonus = 1
3 from festival of gold login bonus = 3

And of course there is the FF7 event in the middle that will add about 20 if you divert your stamina.

elty

Sentinel can also draw single target magics to Cecil. I think (just from eyeballing) it has a higher damage reduction. I wouldn't scoff at it. Plus once you master it, you can equip him with more defensive armors or helms.

Does it? The description clearly said physical ability though.

Falk

that puzzling face
What's the functional difference between Valefor and Maduin anyway?

Orb costs for honing. Going to r4, this is a big consideration, actually.

edit: Actual costs:

r4 Valefor (from creation to honing r4)
- 65 4* Summon,
- 33 4* NE
- 65 4* Wind
- 10 5* Wind

r4 Maduin
- 130 4* Summon
- 65 4* NE

On one hand, 4* Wind orbs are used on many, many good abilities.

On the other, 4* summon orbs are a little hard to come by, and r4 difference is getting 65 vs getting 130. r5 difference is getting 115 vs getting 230

115 4* summon orbs difference for r5 valefor vs maduin is nothing to sneeze at. While it's technically 'cheaper' to hone Maduin when you take into account strict 10:1 cost equivalency, it's better to split the cost up between schools just because of how the game hands out orbs during events/etc as a baseline, and any more than that comes down to hard grinding. (This is the same reason Waterja is prime candidate to get to R4 first, aside from faster casttime and less mobs/bosses resisting/absorbing water)

I see

4 per phase = 12

I will save enough for the lucky draw, and spent the rest on refreshing I guess.

The next event should be Wednesday (FF7, Barret, Cloud's 2nd level cap break), so there's at least another 10.
The next batch of dungeons will drop before the Orbfest is finished too, God knows how many are in that.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Orb costs for honing. Going to r4, this is a big consideration, actually.

edit: Actual costs:

r4 Valefor (from creation to honing r4)
- 65 4* Summon,
- 33 4* NE
- 65 4* Wind
- 10 5* Wind

r4 Maduin
- 130 4* Summon
- 65 4* NE

On one hand, 4* Wind orbs are used on many, many good abilities.

On the other, 4* summon orbs are a little hard to come by, and r4 difference is getting 65 vs getting 130. r5 difference is getting 115 vs getting 230

115 4* summon orbs difference for r5 valefor vs maduin is nothing to sneeze at. While it's technically 'cheaper' to hone Maduin when you take into account strict 10:1 cost equivalency, it's better to split the cost up between schools just because of how the game hands out orbs during events/etc as a baseline, and any more than that comes down to hard grinding. (This is the same reason Waterja is prime candidate to get to R4 first, aside from faster casttime and less mobs/bosses resisting/absorbing water)

Huh, so they just put in two different abilities to balance out how you can hone them? The huge investment needed for Summon orbs makes this stuff seem like a really long term goal unless you're spending money/mythril on stamina during this festival thing.

Falk

that puzzling face
I already have r4 Valefor and it's been core in clearing dungeons/events (for me, anyway. Haven't used Advance in forever)

My target is a second r4 (Maduin this time, since wind orbs are pretty slick for other things) by the time Orb Dungeon is over.

I already planned to have 200 Mythril by Orb Dungeon, do Stage 1 and calculate how much more Mythril to pump into it. The lucky 1/2 pull stuff threw a wrench into the works since that's 100 less Mythril to blow on stam refreshing so I'm examining the maths a lot more closely and picking my battles on what I can and cannot realistically hone.

edit: p.s. there's something I refer to as the 8.5 x 3.5 x 8 mage meta rule. It's useful as both a target and a yardstick on measuring how far off you are from succesfully pulling off mage meta, since most bosses up till this point of any consequence have ~240k HP or less. I can clarify points if need be.

http://neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=179291044&postcount=19217

Refreshing sucks a bit when you have 137 stamina… By going fast, you have 7 stamina left after your last dungeon's part. This gives you 2 choices, waiting close to 25 minutes to use 15 then refresh or lose 7-8 stamina by refreshing right away.

After 25 refresh, that's a 200 stamina loss, so about 13 fights for 78 3* Orbs, 767 000 exp and 260 000 gils. Add to that maybe 2-3 4* and maybe a 5* if you luck out. Seems stupid to refresh right away but I don't have many times in my day where I can wait 25 minutes to play again for a while.

Xetherion

Got Squall's Revolver and Cyan's Kotetsu from Lucky Draw. Already had 5* Retaliate weapons for both realms, but at least I have a reason to use Cyan who is one of my favorite characters.

ZangBa

I got my first 5* SB weapon, it was for Cyan who I haven't used once yet, but I guess he can't be too bad. I guess it would be pretty unlikely to get something for the 5 I always use.

elty

OH YES FIRST MAJOR ORB!!! after 2 refresh.

Maybe I will forget about the 3rd and 4th lucky draw and focus on stamina refresh instead.

OH YES FIRST MAJOR ORB!!! after 2 refresh.

Maybe I will forget about the 3rd and 4th lucky draw and focus on stamina refresh instead.

Congrats! Refreshing right away or maximizing stamina use?

I consider a 15$ paid pull for 25 more refresh, but that's like me saying here's my money since you gave me shit pulls for my first Lucky Draw and my 29 last 100 gems draw… Which does sound like taking it up the *** and saying thank you!

Falk

that puzzling face
I consider a 15$ paid pull for 25 more refresh, but that's like me saying here's my money since you gave me shit pulls for my first Lucky Draw and my 29 last 100 gems draw… Which does sound like taking it up the *** and saying thank you!

For whatever reason this made me burst out laughing.

For whatever reason this made me burst out laughing.

Haha! I try to take this with humour as much as I can because beside my below average luck, I love this game so much and I don't want to get too discouraged. Better try to laugh it off (not the first 20 minutes following a shit pull, then I am pissed/sad).

I don't ask for much… like give me Celes's Saber as my only 5* out of the 4 draws and I will be happy. I just keep waiting for that magic pull that will redeem the others.

alcheim

Thanks Falk! much appreciated. I've got Valefor honed to r3, so I'll start with that first.

Falk

that puzzling face
So uh.

Mythril expenditure

35 Stage 1
25 Stage 2
65 Stage 3
35 Stage 4

160 Mythril used.

For Stage 1, 2 and 4 I'll be maximizing and refreshing at 0 stam simply by just doing about 10 refreshes a day (some loose change on stage 1 and 4, no problem. Phone is near me all the time anyway)

When Stage 3 starts, I'll divert to doing Cloud event (blowing Mythril here to refresh stam on the event itself whenever I hit 0 since it's == refreshing on the event anyway), then I'll be refreshing as fast as possible on Stage 3. For this, I'll be using solely Cloud with Bladeblitz and Drain Strike, with Loner. Reasoning: Cloud will have MC2, this will help me boost him to 80 quickly, and with only 1 person, with Bladeblitz, the time per wave is minimized because Bladeblitz has the shortest AOE animation. I can cut down stam wastage to about 3.5-4 stam per repetition, which is fine by me.

In the case I luck out with Stage 2 and get enough 5* Earth to hone Meteor to r2, I stop and dump whatever Mythril leftover from that into Stage 3 instead.

So tl;dr

RIP 160 Mythril. In exchange, plus the IRL time sink equivalent to a JRPG platinum, I will have:

- everyone fully capped incl. lv65 and Cloud at lv80
- approximately 40 million Gil (currently 11mil)
- about 7000 more 3* orbs
- about 500 more 4* orbs
- about 50 more 5* orbs.

WORTH IT

I'd actually budgeted 200 Mythril for this, but suddenly 100 goes to 4 shitty pulls where I won't get any 5*s anyway auasjdfjasjdf so can only spare 160 for refreshing. Counting the Mythril obtained from daily login, events, etc

edit: Those orb numbers are solely from the 160 Mytrhil. Doesn't count the loose change extra from naturally refilling stamina, nor clear/mastery rewards.

edit2: Keep in mind while those numbers look somewhat impressive, I have absolutely no control over which of the 3 orbs I get in any stage, so it's still gonna be a little RNG dependant, especially 5*s. (2 5* Dark orbs so far... heh)

I'll probably have around 25-30 mythril to spare by the end of phase 3 at which point I plan on dumping them all into there. It's a chance at getting greater/major summon orbs which can only be farmed during events - everything else can be gotten from a daily dungeon or from farming a boss in one of the realm dungeons.

Valus

You guys are doing the Heroic battle yeah? That gives 3* orbs and the highest chance of fighting the cactuars?

LucaMac

Thought the Lucky Draw was just gems. That messed up my plans considerably. I did however get Squalls second gunblade and Leons Golden Armour which seems very good indeed. Any idea when he gets a memory crystal? Have him at 50 with his soulbreak learned already.

Wazzy

Banned
Lol I love this game.

Pulled two 5* SB's with lucky pull, Partisan and.....Squall's Shear Trigger!

It's like they know I love VIII. 25 mythril well spent.

Nohar

Got Rising Sun (hey Wazzy!) and five 4* weapons. Heh, I'll take it. At least I finally have a decent Ranged weapon, so I'm happy.

And lol at the two 3* Silver Harp I got in the same pull.

I am still wondering how many Mythril I am going to spend on this event. Bare minimum will be 50, but considering how good the rewards are, I may push to 100 or more.
So far, first Mythril refresh:
  • [1] 4* Black Orb
  • [1] 4* Dark Orb
  • [2] 5* Thunder Orb
  • [1] 5* Dark Orb

I actually woke up randomly just in time for the event to start. My pulls were Auron's Katana and Squall's first gunblade. I probably shouldn't have upgraded the latter as there is every chance I get his second.

I did some runs then went back to bed.

In terms of natural 5* retaliate gear I just need 3,4, 7 and 14 (well I also need 2 and 5 but neither have those yet and in 2s case it there are no more dungeons so doesn't matter). 4 and 3 have very few dungeons left and 14 is so far joke level difficulty in Japan.
So I could say I need mage meta stuff now

First time I did any kind of draw in a few months and got the Warrior of Light sword. So basically the most useless SB ever since why would you ever use a FF1 character. Thanks game. :p
A FF1 character? The FF1 character :p

I'm nostalgic for that sword. My first 5* it was and it served me well. I was aiming for Luneth's Sword or Buster Sword (LOL) though...

I see

4 per phase = 12

And of course there is the FF7 event in the middle that will add about 20 if you divert your stamina.
FF7 event is short. 5 stages per part so only 10 there. Still need over 400 stamina to clear it.

However there is the Hope/Vanille event on the 29th which I think lines up with the last phase.

The next batch of dungeons will drop before the Orbfest is finished too, God knows how many are in that.
9 dungeons so 18. It is also the last dungeon update with 9 dungeons.

Thought the Lucky Draw was just gems. That messed up my plans considerably. I did however get Squalls second gunblade and Leons Golden Armour which seems very good indeed. Any idea when he gets a memory crystal? Have him at 50 with his soulbreak learned already.
We are skipping the FFII event because LOL colab or something* but dungeon update 14 has it (in over a months time, we are on dungeon update 12 now).

*-BTW the FFIII event in some months time was also a colab. Looks like Ignus won't be getting a MC for a while. Also not clear if the FFIII cast will get their relics. Luneth gets a sword without advance but Ignus gets Lunatic High in shield form.

This guy on the subreddit lol
Trigger Warning: Epic jealousy
I'll raise you a reddit:
http://imgur.com/xqOp8HM
I'm seeing doubles.

Congrats everyone on the Soul Break equipment! Hopefully the guys who came short get something awesome on the next one.
in 2s case it there are no more dungeons so doesn't matter.
Isn't there still Castle Pandemonium to go? I've cleared up to Jade Passage which, after checking up on what i've not done yet, seems to be the most recent FF2 dungeon. There was quite a few bosses in Castle Pandemonium (Tiamat, Astaroth, Beelzebub and The Emperor himself).
Plus there's the possiblity of getting the Souls of Rebirth content also which could add a couple more dungeons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom